SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please bring back the Databases Filter option in SSMS 18

The ability to right-click on the Databases folder in the tree and pick "Filter" was in SSMS 17 but is no longer available in SSMS 18.4 (as of this post). Why was that feature removed? Can you please bring it back?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

To be fair, I have no recollection of removing it from SSMS 18… and I just tried with SSMS 18.5.1 and I can filter databases and tables just fine.

Is the menu item missing for you? Or the functionality missing/broken? It is not immediately clear what the attached pictures refer to.

Please, enter another UV item if you have more details.

Thanks,
    -Matteo

2. [CONFIRMED] [BUG]: SSMS 18.2 = OK, 18.3.1 = BUG

It turns out than in Windows 10 LTSC (haven't tried other versions) in SSMS 18.3.1 onwards up to 18.5, in the table designer, when you are creating a column and switch cell using the TAB key, Windows's beep sound effect plays.

I can confirm this does NOT happen in SSMS 18.2, which is a bummer because I really want to stay on the edge and use the latest & greatest versions.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. SSMS 18.5 forgets remembered passwords again

This seemed to be working ok in 18.4 i hadn't had this issue since upgrading, but now in 18.5 it instantly started occurring again. Immediately after installing 18.5 in fact, the existing stored credentials showed the password had been forgotten again, even if i re-enter it and tick 'Remember', it'll be forgotten again if, for instance, my connection is dropped and i need to reconnect to the server.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. SSMS 15.0.18330.0 import bacpac failed

With the latest SSMS 15.0.18330.0 I'm unable to restore an Azure SQL Bacpac, error is triggered when "Importing datase".

If I try to get more details (clicking on the "Error" link), I get an NRE :

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

Object reference not set to an instance of an object. (Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql)

at Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql.Deployment.SqlDeploymentPlanGenerator.DeploymentScriptDomGenerator.GenerateFragment(Int32 operation, IModelElement element)
    at Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql.Deployment.SqlDeploymentPlanGenerator.DeploymentScriptDomGenerator.GenerateSteps(Int32 operation, IModelElement element)
    at Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql.Deployment.OrderedStepGenerator.Add(DeploymentScriptDomGenerator scriptDom, IModelElement element, Int32 operation)
    at Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql.Deployment.Analyzers.PlanMediator.BuildDependencyOrderedSteps(Int32 operation, List1 classOrder, List1 operationOrder, Dictionary2 changes, Boolean preserveGraphs, Dictionary2& relating, Dictionary2& related)
    at Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql.Deployment.Analyzers.PlanMediator.BuildOperations()
    at Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql.Deployment.SqlDeploymentPlanGenerator.OnGeneratePlan()
    at Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql.Deployment.SqlDeploymentPlanGenerator.GeneratePlan(List
    1 drops)
    at Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql.Deployment.SqlDeployment.BuildPlan() …

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. SSMS: Freeze Column Headers When Scrolling

It would be nice if we could "freeze" column headers in SSMS like in Excel, so it's a little easier to remember where we are in larger result sets, and get helpful screenshots of data.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. SSMS 18.4 Saved connections reset when changing language

Hi, I switched the language from "System (German)" to "English" and all previously saved connections in the combobox "server name" are gone.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. There is insufficient system memory in resource pool 'default' to run this query

SQL Server 2019 RTM responds with:
    Msg 701, Level 17, State 123, Line 1There is insufficient system memory in resource pool 'default' to run this query.

while calling a simple scalar function that manipulates a single string.
    Example call: SELECT dbo.E164(NULL)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 18.4 is junk

SSMS 18.4 is the most unstable software I've installed in a long time. It crashes constantly, hangs, memory hog, memory leaks, etc..

My suggestion is for everyone to roll back to 17.9.1, which appears to be the most recent "stable" version, from my experience.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. UDF Inlining in SQL Server 2019 cause incorrect query results

The attached file demonstrate an issue starts with SQL Server 2019.
    The issue involves UDF inlining, and the workaround is to add DISABLETSQLSCALARUDFINLINING hint.

The attached query causes Arithmetic overflow in SQL Server 2019, due to incorrect inlining.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Update KB321185 for SQL Server 2019 versions

2019 is conspicuously missing from this otherwise useful reference article for one-stop version checks for the latest patch levels of SQL Server released. Update or replace this page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/321185/how-to-determine-the-version-edition-and-update-level-of-sql-server-an
    and the excel file that it links to:
    https://aka.ms/SQLServerbuilds

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. SSMS 18.4. Job properties window hangs when try to edit a step

SSMS 18.4. Job properties window hangs when try to edit a step
    Using SQL 2016 SE SP2 CU10

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. The SSMS setup is 18.3.1 instead of 18.4

The setup is 18.3.1 not 18.4

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. ADD SENSITIVITY CLASSIFICATION statement support for SSDT

Azure SQL Vulnerability Assessment will identify columns in the database that should be classified as sensitive. One can do this in SSMS with a simple ADD SENSITIVITY CLASSIFICATION statement.
    BUT, one CANNOT make such a statement in SSDT database project, even if the target version is Azure SQL V12.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. SSMS Completion Time

After installing SSMS 18.2, I have noticed that when I run the command sphelptext 'storedprocedure_name' with the configuration "Results to Text' set, it always add the Completion Time text at the end.

I would like to suggest printing out this as a comment, so when I copy and paste the query into a new query, I don't need to delete or comment it out all the time.

For instance:
    -- Completion time: 2019-09-16T17:23:48.4080495+10:00

Thanks.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. SSMS 18.2 Edit Job Step hangs

In SSMS 18.2 when we edit a job step under Job properties it takes minutes to open the edit box

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. SSMS Extended Events UI Selects Actions on Hover

When selecting events in extended events session properties > events page the events are automatically selected when you hover your mouse over the row. I've attached a gif showing the behavior. I'm not clicking on anything in the gif, just moving my mouse.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. SSMS 18.2 default language display bug

Hi, SSMS 18.2 displays the default language for all logins as Arabic, and my default language is us_english.

I'm using language 1033 so this shouldn't display as Arabic. I tried with a few servers - all the same. This is across all versions of the database engine from 2008, 2012, 2014, 2017 etc.

querying sys.server_principals shows this isn't actually the case so this seems to be display bug in SSMS 18.2

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. SSMS 18.2 crash on Extended Events properties form

Opening a "New session…." (not the wizard) of extended events (or a previously existing one) and browsing the pages (Events, Data Storage, Advanced) hangs the windows and/or directly crashes/terminates SSMS with no error message, specially on the Events page.

Application logs shows the crash as an unhandled exception:

Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Event ID: 1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level: Error
    Description:
    Faulting application name: Ssms.exe, version: 2019.150.18142.0, time stamp: 0x5d3573be
    Faulting module name: System.Windows.Forms.ni.dll, version: 4.8.3752.0, time stamp: 0x5c7a2429
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00c412df
    Faulting process id: 0x24a4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d5433d9e072f9d
    Faulting application path: C:\Program…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. sql-server-2019-ctp

Installing sql-server-2019-ctp succeeded, but starting SQL Server Configuration Manager failed

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Serious Issue: After Closing, SQL Will Not Open Without Reinstalling Entire Program

I have already tried working with Microsoft Support four separate times on this but nothing thus far has provided anything beyond a temporary fix. I can open SQL once I install the program, but once I close it I need to reinstall the program to open it again. I have been having issues with another unrelated program since April but have been using SQL since late May, so I have no idea if the two problems are related (I suspect they are).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 27 28
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base