SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SSMS Completion Time

After installing SSMS 18.2, I have noticed that when I run the command sp_helptext 'stored_procedure_name' with the configuration "Results to Text' set, it always add the Completion Time text at the end.

I would like to suggest printing out this as a comment, so when I copy and paste the query into a new query, I don't need to delete or comment it out all the time.

For instance:
    -- Completion time: 2019-09-16T17:23:48.4080495+10:00

Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Interesting observation.

Due to feedback on this, in SSMS 18.3 we expect to have a way (in Tools | Options) to disable that line.

I’m curious to hear what other folks think about this suggestion… and then we can go from there (definitely adding a — prefix is trivial).

2. Misspelling a XEvent actions' description, server_principal_sid, at SQL Server 2019 RC1

I found a misspelled word in the server_principal_sid description.

Prinicipal -> Principal

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. URGENT: "Feature Restrictions" actually increases chances of SQL Injection and must be removed immediately (before RTM)

The new "Feature Restrictions" feature that was introduced in CTP 3.2 of SQL Server 2019 is highly problematic. It is an ill-conceived feature that does _not_ prevent SQL Injection in any way. It doesn't mask user error messages (only system errors), and it prevents WAITFOR but not a WHILE loop that accomplishes the same delay. So this feature is absolutely useless.

Actually, it's worse than that because people will assume that this feature actually does prevent these things, which will give them a false sense of security.

This feature is not fixable and needs to be removed entirely. This needs…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Microsoft.SqlServer.SqlManagementObjects library not working as expected in .net core

var sql = new Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Server();
    sql.ConnectionContext.LoginSecure = true;
    sql.ConnectionContext.ConnectAsUser = true;
    sql.ConnectionContext.ConnectAsUserName = "DomainUser";
    sql.ConnectionContext.ConnectAsUserPassword = "Password";
    sql.ConnectionContext.ServerInstance = @"Server\Instance";
    sql.ConnectionContext.Connect();

above code should connect sql server with different user, but it always taking credential of currently logged in user. Its working fine with .Net Framework, only having issues with .Net Core.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Select All option for File Import Wizard

The Flat File Import Wizard should have a Select/Unselect All option on Allow NULLs

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Matteo Taveggia responded

Thanks for the suggestion. We’ll take a look at it and prioritize accordingly.

Thanks,
    -Matteo

6. Allow Updating Statistics on the Secondary Replicas of the Availability Groups

Allow remote (on the secondary replicas) statistics update for the Availability Groups. Given that a lot of time the secondary replicas have extra resources
    Potentially this could lead into spreading & parallelising the statistics recalculation processes while doing maintenance or potentially even ad-hoc.
    The original idea behind this is described in the following blogpost – http://www.nikoport.com/2019/06/20/updating-statistics-on-secondary-replicas-of-the-availability-groups/

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Generate scripts feature returns an error on 18.1 (15.0.18131.1)

Whenever I try to generate db scripts for any of dbs on the server I got an error (attached on this post).

Running SSMS 18.1 over Microsoft SQL Server 2014 (SP2-GDR) (KB4019093) - 12.0.5207.0 (X64)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  Matteo Taveggia responded

Thanks for the suggestion. We’ll take a look at it and prioritize accordingly.

Thanks,
    -Matteo

8. SSMS18 can not cancel remember password

Currently I am using ssms 18 to login a remote sql server instance, previously I ticked the remember password option.
    Now I want to cancel it, however after I login successfully without remember password, then logout. And try to login again, I find the password was still remembered.

I also try to restart the ssms, it can still remember my password.

Here is my ssms version info :
    SQL Server Management Studio 15.0.18118.0
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 15.0.1300.131
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 10.0.17763.1
    Microsoft MSXML 3.0 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.11.17763.0
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.30319.42000
    Operating System 6.3.17763

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Bug in SSMS on Statistics Properties screen

There is a "Update statistics for these columns" checkbox In SQL Management Studio in Statistic Properties dialog.

However when I click on this checkbox and press OK it has no effect what so ever. Statistics are not updated and when I try to script the action I get "There is no action to be scripted".

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Import Flat File wizard, add check box for file does not include header row.

When importing a csv without a header row, it's removing the first row of data. It would be nice if the wizard had a option to say that this file does not contain a header row. The modify columns already allows for adjusting the column names but it still removed the first row of the .csv.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. SSMS 18.0 unable to export Extended Events XEL to XEL

SSMS 18.0 is unable to export an Extended Events XEL file to another XEL file.

When viewing an XEL file in SSMS, using the Extended Events menu command "Export to" > "XEL file..." results in this error:

(Error Summary)
    TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
    ------------------------------
    Method not found: 'Void System.Object.SerializeEvent(Microsoft.SqlServer.XEvent.Linq.IEventSerializer, Microsoft.SqlServer.XEvent.IMetadataGeneration)'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.XEvent.Linq)
    BUTTONS:
    OK

(Error Detail)
    ===================================
    Method not found: 'Void System.Object.SerializeEvent(Microsoft.SqlServer.XEvent.Linq.IEventSerializer, Microsoft.SqlServer.XEvent.IMetadataGeneration)'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.XEvent.Linq)
    Program Location:
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.XEvent.Linq.XEventFileProvider`1.SerializeEvent(IEventSerializer serializationContext, TEvent serializableEvent)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.XEventStorage.ComputedGridStorage.SaveData(Object param)

I reported this same issue for a previous version of SSMS (17.?) via connect item 3136373 on 2017-06-22 and it was fixed…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. ssms 18 hangs

SSMS version 18.0 hangs when trying to connect to the Master database in Azure SQL DB, when the user does not have access to the Master database.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. BUG: Statistics cannot be set to incremental when the Partition Function contains a "." (dot)

Hi,

We are moving SQL 2012 databases to SQL 2016, and some databases contain partitioned tables.

Being SQL2016, I want to make use of incremental statistics, but when I enable incremental statistics on the existing statistics/indexes, I always received the following error: "Incorrect syntax near '.'."

This error shows up for each partition that contains data.

After a lot of testing, I found out that it is caused by the name of the Partition Function.
    This contains a "." ("PF_dbo.ID") .

Has anybody run into this problem and found a way to solve it without needing to rebuild each partitioned…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Issue Flat File Export

When I export data from SQL Server into flat file, the wizarad ask for destination file name, locale, code page,...
    When I select English for locale, I can show the preview, but when press finish the export, I get this error message for validation

Validating (Error)
    Error 0xc00470b6: Data Flow Task 1: The LocaleID 9 is not installed on this system.
    (SQL Server Import and Export Wizard)

Error 0xc004706b: Data Flow Task 1: "Destination - PRUEFAUF1_txt" failed validation and returned validation status "VS_ISBROKEN".
    (SQL Server Import and Export Wizard)

Error 0xc004700c: Data Flow Task 1: One or more component…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. SSMS 18.0 GA Create script for functions missing GO statements after SET statements

SSMS 18.0 GA Create script for functions missing GO statements after SET statements.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Sql Server Management Studio / Always Encrypted Parametrization

The order of the parameters in SSMS (v.17.9.1) seems to be critical when using encrypted and not encrypted columns in one statement.

Declaring the not encrypted variable before encrypted vars works, the other way it doesn't work (ERROR: ncryption scheme mismatch for columns/variables .. see more details and example in the file attached.)

best regards,
    Roman

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. SSMS 18.0 RC1 is prompting for authentication upon scripting out an object from Object Explorer.

I know this is happening on version 15.0.18098.0.

The Scenario: You have a server in Object Explorer that you authenticated to. You navigate to a table in one of the databases. You right-click on the table. You choose "Script Table as" -> "CREATE To" -> "New Query Editor Window". You are then prompted with the "Connect to Database Engine" window for server selection and authentication.

This is not something that happens in SSMS 17. I installed this yesterday and when I did so I choose the option to port over all my settings from 17. Everything else has been working…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add a -connectionstring parameter to Read-SQLTableData / Write-SQLTableData commands

Given that the commands were based off of Chad Miller's original code, I noticed that the connection strings were essentially hard coded in for easier use. The problem with this is that from a security perspective, there might be set connectionstrings required from the Azure Portal that should be used.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Incorrect error message for missing parameter with sp_execute_external_script

I use sp_execute_external_script and I spell a parameter name incorrectly. For instance:

EXEC sp_execute_external_script @language = N'Python',
    @script = N'import re, pandas
    Ret = InputDataSet
    Ret["an"] = pandas.Series([re.sub("[^0-9]", "", i) for i in Ret["an"]], index = Ret.index, dtype = "int32")
    ',
    @input_data_1 = N'SELECT an FROM alphanum',
    @output_data = N'Ret'

The error message is

Msg 214, Level 16, State 175, Procedure sp_execute_external_script, Line 1 [Batch Start Line 4]
    Procedure expects parameter '@params' of type 'ntext/nchar/nvarchar'.

Which is confusing , since sp_execute_external_script has a parameter by that name, but it is not mandatory.

In fact, I get the same message, even…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Traceflag 460 causing truncation errors on code paths that are not followed

This is an odd one. I have tested this on both SQL Server 2017 CU12 and CU13 (in a container and on my production boxes).

If you have an IF/ELSE condition, and you are inserting into a table variable in the ELSE, and that INSERT would cause a truncation issue, it will throw an error, EVEN IF THE CODE IS NOT EXECUTED.

I have attached a reprop script that creates a database called "Repro" and runs the code. When TF460 is enabled, the ELSE block with throw an error when inserting into a table variable, even though it is impossible…

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 234 235
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base