Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Microsoft Q&A or Stack Overflow

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add COLUMN keyword to the ADD COLUMN SYNTAX (as alternate)

The problem is that it is wierd that
    ALTER TABLE
    ALTER COLUMN

is the syntax for altering,
    ALTER TABLE
    DROP COLUMN
    is the syntax for dropping, but
    ALTER TABLE
    ADD COLUMN
    is NOT the syntax for adding a column.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 24

<=-=Sep 13 2006 10:12AM=-=>

Hi,
    Thanks for the suggestion. Yes there is an inconsistency in ALTER TABLE syntax for adding columns. We will look into fixing this in the next release.

Thanks,
    - Balaji Rathakrishnan
    Group Program Manager
    Microsoft SQL Server

<=-=Nov 14 2007 11:19AM=-=>

Hi,

We are tracking this request as a part of another item and we will consider fixing this in a future release.

Thanks,
    -Vineet Rao

<=-=Aug 29 2008 7:31AM=-=>

Reopened as it was marked closed-fixed, yet it still works the same way in 2008.

<=-=Oct 16 2008 3:07AM=-=>

I find it interesting that SQL Server Compact Edition 3.5 allows a “ALTER TABLE tbl ADD COLUMN col1” command, even if the COLUMN keyword is not documented in the ALTER TABLE syntax (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174123.aspx).

<=-=Dec 27 2008 8:13AM=-=>

Consistency is everything. I am sure that most people type ‘add column’ like I do,…

2. Incorrect statement about partitioned views

ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/udb9/html/54ce53c0-844e-4965-9537-db50df448e7b.htm

says: "For a partitioned view that is local to one server, the view is not updatable when a trigger or cascading update or delete is defined on one or more member tables."

This incorrect, see repro.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Aug 3 2005 11:55AM=-=>

I’ve removed the statement from the topic. Thanks for your feedback.

<=-=Oct 16 2007 10:52AM=-=>

Hello Erland,
    The statement, “For a partitioned view that is local to one server, the view is not updatable when a trigger or cascading update or delete is defined on one or more member tables.” has been removed from the Modifying Data in Partitioned Views topics in both the Yukon and Katmai BOL, so this bug has been closed.

Thank you again for your feedback.
    Laurel

3. SQL Agent : pre-populate elements in new job dialog

Can we please pre-populate the "Name:" field on the schedules tab to "Schedule 1" (for a new job)? I've heard a lot of people around here
    moaning that they're forced to come up with a name for their schedule.

Especially when they only have one schedule to set up. I could see how forcing this cognitive process when entering a second or more schedules, but even then the name could default to schedule 1, schedule 2, ..., schedule n.

Same goes for steps. I think the majority of the time, you will see Step 1, Step 2 etc. as opposed…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Mar 30 2006 11:08AM=-=>

Hi aaronbertrand,

We understand it reduces the number of clicks and improves interface. There have been some requests based on prepoulating the fields for job creation.

We will evaluate this DCR and consider for our next release.

Thanks,
    Gops Dwarak

4. Problem adding user to server role

Server is a member of a domain with NetBIOS name 'TESTLAB' and AD name 'lab.wsy.com'.

When I hit the Add button to add a user to the server role and enter 'TESTLAB\user' or 'user@lab.wsy.com' the name resolves to 'LAB\user'.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 27 2005 2:09AM=-=>

Thank you for reporting the issue. We are still investigating this issue and will keep you posted on our progress.
    —Analysis Services Team

<=-=Jun 20 2005 10:33AM=-=>

Triage: per triage, we believe the issue is minor, we can ship the current version like that.

<=-=Jun 27 2005 1:15PM=-=>

We’ve closed this issue. If you feel this was in error, please reactivate. Thank you for your support.

<=-=Jul 4 2005 7:25PM=-=>

It’s currently only a problem in our lab environment. I’ll let you know if it ever crops up in production.

<=-=Mar 2 2006 6:04PM=-=>

We could not repro this bug using the latest SP1 build for Analysis Services 2005. Thanks for your support and please let us know if you still see this in your environment.

5. SQL Server service failed to start during installation of Apr 2005 CTP

SQL Server service failed to start during installation of Apr 2005 CTP. The installation was done on a W2003 server web edition (german). The server is not part of a domain.

When I go to services and try to start the SQLExpress service manually, I receiv this error (german:)

"Fehler 1068: Der Abh�ngigkeitsdienst oder die Abh�ngigkeitsgruppe konnte nicht gestartet werden."

which translates into something like:

"Error 1068: The dependency service or the dependency group could not be started."

There is no other choice but to abort the installation after this error.

The machine had .NET Framework Feb 2005 CTP installed,…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 20 2005 4:14PM=-=>

When I look at the SQLServer Express service in the service applet, on the dependency page, all fields are dimmed.

When I open any other service window, I can see the dependency page and all fields are active.

<=-=Apr 20 2005 4:24PM=-=>

Same error happens on another machine (also German version of Windows, but Windows version is XP SP2 this time.).

I saw on other lists that other german users seem to have the exacrt same problem.

I was able to install SQLExpress Feb CTP without any problem.

I am not able to change the operating system language of the server since this is a hosted server. We were actually planning to go live with our ASP.NET 2.0 website, but we depend on SQL running as well.

Any suggestions? Greatly appreciated!

<=-=Apr 21 2005 4:04AM=-=>

A work-around has been posted on the…

6. VS2005 Beta 2 and SQL Server 2005 April CTP (Developer Edition) Setup Failure

SQL Server 2005 Express (April CTP) included within VS2005 Beta 2 DVD fails to install when SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition (April CTP) is already installed.

It was my understanding with previous builds of Yukon and Whidbey that the install for SQL Server Developer should be done first and then the Visual Studio 2005 install should be done subsequently (including the express edition of SQL Server).

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

<=-=Apr 20 2005 9:03AM=-=>

The issue is you installed Tools with SQL Developer Edition and the VS install of SQL Express attempts to install Tools as well. This is a known issue. The work around is to uninstall Tools installed with dev, install VS with SQL Express, uninstall the SQL Express tools and reinstall the DEveloper Tools.

<=-=Apr 21 2005 8:55AM=-=>

I’m assuming this won’t be the required work around for the RTM builds?

<=-=Apr 21 2005 1:14PM=-=>

This bug was reopened to ask a question.

I’m assuming this won’t be the required work around for the RTM builds?

Correct, that a workaround will not be required for this scenario and it will be fixed.

1 2 29 30 31 33 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base