Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Microsoft Q&A or Stack Overflow

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. When using a project under source safe control new added queries or misc files are not sorted

When using a project under source safe control newly added queries or misc files are not sorted. To get them sorted I have opened up the .ssmssqlproj file and sorted the Items -> FileNode by name using XML Spy and then saved.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Sep 21 2005 8:36AM=-=>

Thank you for your bug report. We are hearing this feedback often now and we will consider fixing the behavior in a future release.
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Sep 21 2005 8:52AM=-=>

Hi James,
    Thank you for your suggestion – we will consider this in the future.
    Bill Ramos

2. Table Designer does not support newSequentialId(), true for SQL.2005 and VS.2005

I am using the new function newSequentialId() for uniqueidentifier fields in the default behavior. The function newSequentialId() is not recocnised by the table designer tools, neither in SQL.2005 nor in VS.2005.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 29

<=-=Sep 21 2005 8:28AM=-=>

Hi Harry,
    We are already aware of this problem and we will consider it in our planning for the next release.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Oct 11 2007 4:32AM=-=>

So, this was reported back in 2005 and soon it’s 2008 and the problem is still not fixed! Howcome?
    Will it ever be fixed in SQL Server 2005?

Regards Andreas

<=-=Mar 18 2009 7:48AM=-=>

when is this going to be fixed??

<=-=Jun 4 2009 7:26PM=-=>

Hello? Is anyone there? Will this ever be fixed in SQL 2008 even? I reported this in SQL 2008, WAAAY early in the SQL 2008 beta. A LOONG time ago.

<=-=Nov 14 2009 10:24AM=-=>

This is still not fixed in 2008 R2 November CTP. Wish it were, since we’ve got hundreds of databases with this in ALL tables.

<=-=Sep 12 2011 9:06AM=-=>

T-minus 10 days till the 6 year…

3. Maximizing Query Editor results in Pending Checkins window being shown

When the keyboard shortcut, SHIFT+ALT+ENTER, is used to maximize the Query Editor window, the Pending Checkins window shows up. This happens when the app is using the default windows layout and the Pending Checkins window is not visible. {I just installed SQL Server 2005, and have not set up any type of source control integration}

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Unlock account from Mgmt Studio does not work

Credit for this bug goes not Nilton Pinheiro.

When you try to unlock an account from the GUI in Mgmt Studio, Mgmt Studio fails to include the UNLOCK clause, so the account is not locked.

Furthermore, if the user does not change the password, the password is set to number of asterisks, or at least so it appears when the action is scripted.

Since the password must be set with UNLOCK, Mgmt Studio must require that the user actively gives a password. Default passwords are not good for security.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 9

<=-=Sep 17 2005 11:16AM=-=>

Hi Erland,
    Thank you for reporting this bug. The check box for “Account is locked out” should have never been enabled in the first place. The proper action is for the user to open a query window and execute the ALTER LOGINUNLOCK command. We were planning to hook up the ability to unlock in the next release. I will mark this as an SP1 candidate bug.
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Sep 17 2005 3:12PM=-=>

Disabling the checkbox is fine with me. Even nicer with some text saying “Use ALTER LOGIN from a query window to unlock”.

But I am worried that you plan to wait until SP1 to disable a checkbox. That does not sound like rocket science to me.

<=-=Oct 11 2006 8:31PM=-=>

Hey Erland,

We actually have not addressed this issue in Service Pack 2 either. Though, we’re still considering it for…

5. Unlock account from Mgmt Studio does not work

Credit for this bug goes not Nilton Pinheiro. When you try to unlock an account from the GUI in Mgmt Studio, Mgmt Studio fails to include the UNLOCK clause, so the account is not locked. Furthermore, if the user does not change the password, the password is set to number of asterisks, or at least so it appears when the action is scripted. Since the password must be set with UNLOCK, Mgmt Studio must require that the user actively gives a password. Default passwords are not good for security.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 9 =Sep 17 2005 11:16AM= Hi Erland, Thank you for reporting this bug. The check box for “Account is locked out” should have never been enabled in the first place. The proper action is for the user to open a query window and execute the ALTER LOGINUNLOCK command. We were planning to hook up the ability to unlock in the next release. I will mark this as an SP1 candidate bug. Bill Ramos =Sep 17 2005 3:12PM= Disabling the checkbox is fine with me. Even nicer with some text saying “Use ALTER LOGIN from a query window to unlock”. But I am worried that you plan to wait until SP1 to disable a checkbox. That does not sound like rocket science to me. =Oct 11 2006 8:31PM= Hey Erland, We actually have not addressed this issue in Service Pack 2 either. Though, we’re still considering it for…

6. Extra blank line appears in Stored Procedure everytime it is executed and reloaded

After modifying a stored procedure in the management studio I click on execute and it saved. Then, when I close and reopen the same proc my procedure has an extra blank line after the 'go' line. After a few days my procedure has like 1-2 dozen extra lines at the top of the proc!

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Close Tab Icon is not being displayed

The icon for closing tabs is missing. The button is there, but no icon

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Sep 15 2005 7:40AM=-=>

Hi David,
    We experianced this problem after upgrading on Windows XP but we can’;t reproduce the problem any more. Can you explain what process you used to install and what version you have installed.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Sep 19 2005 6:23AM=-=>

Hi Bill,
    I previously had the July CTP installed on my PC. I uninstalled the July CTP, then installed the September CTP. I installed the Server, the Analysis Server, Reporting Services, and the Managment Tools.

<=-=Sep 19 2005 7:32AM=-=>

Hi David,
    Thanks for the additional information. We will consider fixing this in a futre release.If you run setup again and perform a repair operation – does the problem go away?
    Bill Ramos

8. Close Tab Icon is not being displayed

The icon for closing tabs is missing. The button is there, but no icon

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2 =Sep 15 2005 7:40AM= Hi David, We experianced this problem after upgrading on Windows XP but we can’;t reproduce the problem any more. Can you explain what process you used to install and what version you have installed. Thank you, Bill Ramos =Sep 19 2005 6:23AM= Hi Bill, I previously had the July CTP installed on my PC. I uninstalled the July CTP, then installed the September CTP. I installed the Server, the Analysis Server, Reporting Services, and the Managment Tools. =Sep 19 2005 7:32AM= Hi David, Thanks for the additional information. We will consider fixing this in a futre release.If you run setup again and perform a repair operation – does the problem go away? Bill Ramos

9. Copy Database Wizard doesn't use Authentication type of Server

See steps to reproduce; in SQL 2000 this worked (actually using the DTS tool there).

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Sep 13 2005 8:20AM=-=>

Hi Eric,
    Thank you for your feedback regarding the copy database wizard. We will consider fixing this in a future release.
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Mar 28 2006 5:08PM=-=>

Quick update. We are placing this bug report under consideration for SP2.

<=-=Feb 4 2008 7:31AM=-=>

Hello Eric Bauersachs,

We are closing this issue as this is now internally tracked as a defect. We will try to address this in bug in the future release.

Regards
    Karthik

MS SQL Server Team

10. Select Login Dialog requires two tries

When choosing a Login to be a Job owner it does not accept the first one you choose and forces you to choose the same one again.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Sep 11 2005 7:40PM=-=>

Hi AKelly,
    Thank you for your bug report. We are able to reproduce the issue and will consider it for a future service pack.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Sep 30 2005 5:40PM=-=>

Thank you for your bug report. We are considering fixing this issue in a future service pack
    Radu Singer

11. SQL CLR does not support SMO

Cannot create CLR (assembly) stored procedure that performs some SMO
    operations. When I am trying to register the assembly (after placing my
    library in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\SDK\Assemblies
    directory)

Will result in following error

Msg 10301, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    Assembly 'SMOTestLibrary' references assembly
    'microsoft.sqlserver.batchparser, version=9.0.242.0, culture=neutral,
    publickeytoken=89845dcd8080cc91.', which is not present in the current
    database. SQL Server attempted to locate and automatically load the
    referenced assembly from the same location where referring assembly came
    from, but that operation has failed (reason: 2(The system cannot find the
    file specified.)). Please load the referenced assembly into the curent
    database…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 8

<=-=Mar 28 2006 1:48PM=-=>

Hi Siva,

Just a quick update on the status of the issue you contacted us about.
    We have selected your request for consideration in the next version of SQL Server.

Thank you for your support, suggestions, and feedback.

Terrence Nevins
    SQL Server Program Manager

<=-=Feb 24 2010 1:34PM=-=>

This would be a great feature to have on the CLR side. Many times I have encountered issues writing a CLR routine where it would have been very handy to call SMO routines.

Thanks,
    Tim
    SQL Server MVP

<=-=Nov 18 2010 6:01AM=-=>

Is this in scope for Denali? It is a greatly missed feature on our part and would make creating framework based solutions much easier.

12. Full text wizard does not create index with the correct key

When using the wizard to create a full text index. If there are more than one candidates for the index to use for the key the wizard always uses the first in the list irrespective of which one is chosen.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Sep 6 2005 8:44AM=-=>

Hi Simon,
    Tahnk you for your bug report regarding the incorrect index being used for FT catalogs. This problem has been fixed and is no longer reproducable in out latest CTP release candidate.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Sep 15 2005 1:23AM=-=>

The wizard still doesn’t maintain the selected index when you navidate back to the index selection page. The first index in the combo is always the one displayed irrespective of which one was selected previously.

<=-=Sep 15 2005 7:48AM=-=>

Hi Simon,
    Thank you for getting back. I’m assuming that you tried this again with the Sept CTP. If we can reproduce the problem, we will consider this for SP1.
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Sep 15 2005 9:53AM=-=>

Yep tried in CTP16

<=-=Mar 31 2006 7:24AM=-=>

Quick update. We are placing this bug report under consideration for SP2.

<=-=Sep 6 2006 1:37AM=-=>

Thank you for…

13. Incorrect sample code in Books Online topic "Understanding Plan Guides"

In the Books Online topic "Understanding Plan Guides" the first sample code regarding the use of spcreateplan_guide (the second code snippet in the topic) is wrong (the @stmt parameter name is placed incorrectly).

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Sep 9 2005 3:32PM=-=>

This seems to have been fixed already. The correct sample should appear in a later release. Thanks for your feedback.

<=-=Oct 16 2007 11:19AM=-=>

Hello,
    The code snippet in the Understanding Plan Guides BOL topic for both the Katmai and Yukon versions has been corrected so this bug has been closed.

Thank you again for your feedback.
    Regards,
    Laurel

14. Deselecting column in Profiler causes Events to be deselected

I first select all events for Locks, see locks1.jpg. I then deselect event column ClientProcessID, because I don't want that in the trace. Oops, the Lock events that has a ClientProcessID are now deselected, see Locks2.jpg.

And if I then reselect the entire Locks category, ClientProcessID is reselected... (Well, that makes sort of sense, but unselecting a column should not affect selected events.)

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Aug 31 2006 9:45AM=-=>

I’ve just tried this scenario on our current build of SQL 2005 SP2 and it appears to be fixed. I am going to resolve it as such.

Thanks for reporting this to us.

Regards,
    Maciek Sarnowicz

<=-=Oct 18 2007 10:03AM=-=>

This is fixed in SQL 2005 SP2 and SQL 2008.
    Thank you.

Yong Seok Lee

15. :Quit does not get highlighted as a SQLCMD statement

:Quit does not get highlighted as a SQLCMD statement.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. :Quit does not get highlighted as a SQLCMD statement

:Quit does not get highlighted as a SQLCMD statement.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Mining Model Viewer Cases/Probability Sort

In Analysis Services 2000 Model Browser you used to be able to click on Cases, Probability and have them re-sorted.
    This functionality seems to have been removed or not implemented on this version.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 27 2005 9:27AM=-=>

Thank you for the suggestion – we will not be implementing this feature for SQL Server 2005, but will consider it for future releases or service packs.

<=-=Aug 10 2005 5:56PM=-=>

We’re going to close this issue. If you feel this is in error, please reactivate. Thank you for your support.

<=-=Feb 24 2006 11:32AM=-=>

Sort behavior has been added to all columns in the grid with data types int, string, double and datetime. Sorting on any other data type column is not supported. The sorting is a 3 state behavior and the clicks cycle through Ascending => Descending => Original. The icon on the column header is a visual cue of the current state. Clicking on a different column starts a new state cycle on that column

18. Deadlocks occur when updating tables that are being monitored with SqlDependency

I am testing SqlDependency to evaluate its reliability for my application. My test scenario uncovered intermittent SQL Server deadlocks that occur on the command that is updating a table that is being monitored by several application servers via System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDependency.

For comparison, I do not get deadlocks when I run similar test logic/load without the use of SqlDependency.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 4

<=-=Jul 28 2005 1:09PM=-=>

Subscribing for query notification requires to update server-internal metadata. This makes single-row queries with subscription requests susceptible to deadlocks with concurrent updates that access the same metadata and base table. After investigating the issue, we have identified further potential to reduce the window where such deadlocks can occur. We have implemented this change and expect to deliver it with SQL 2005 RTM.

<=-=Feb 10 2010 12:19AM=-=>

We are still experiencing this issue with SQL Server 2005 Enterprise SP3.. has the fix been implemented?

19. Poor error message with EXECUTE AS USER = 'dbo' when database comes from another server

You create a database on a server, and the owner is not 'sa'. Say that the owner is SERVER1\someuser.

Now you restore that database on a second server as SERVER2\someuser which becomes the owner.

The you try to use a procedure with EXECUTE AS USER = 'dbo'. You get this errror message:

Cannot execute as the database principal because the principal "dbo" does
    not exist, this type of principal cannot be impersonated, or you do not have
    permission.

I can understand what happens, but I'm an SQL Server MVP. :-) Most people will probably feel lost in this situation. Not…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Oct 14 2006 2:30PM=-=>

I’m reopening this, as there was no comment on how it was fixed, and when the fix can be expected. (That is, will it be in Katmai or in SP2.)

<=-=Oct 30 2006 11:16AM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. Error #916 has been added to Books Online and will be available in the next refresh, which will be released in Dec. 2006.

<=-=May 17 2007 7:25AM=-=>

Do you mean the error message or the behavior? The error message has already been created, and will be in the next document refresh – if you mean the error, I can forward this to the development team if you like.

<=-=May 17 2007 8:13AM=-=>

It was a long time since I submitted this bug report. I think the most compelling problem
    have been addressed. When you try to add diagramming support to a database that
    was restored…

20. Autocomplete in file open dialog does not work

In QA and almost all other open file/save as dialogs as you start to type the filename/folder name, matching files are displayed as a list and can be selected.
    In SSMS this does not happen.
    When a folder contains 1000 sps having to scroll the whole folder is very time consuming and the names are often very long and so hard to remember.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 6

<=-=Jul 8 2005 9:15AM=-=>

Hi Simon,
    Thank you for your bug report regarding autocomplete. We were unable to reproduce this problem using the June CTP release.
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Jul 10 2005 2:11PM=-=>

No, there is a problem here. When I tried this I went to C:\temp, which is seen in open1.jpg. Then I pressed “a”, nothing more. Mgmt Studio directly went to 2, and selected a specific file – despite there are many files that start in “a”. If open the drop-down there no more files below it.

This happens to me on Win 2K Pro SP4. It’s running on VMware, but that should not matter.

<=-=Jul 11 2005 12:21PM=-=>

Hi Simon and Erland,
    We have traced the problem down to an issue in Visual Studio and I’ve passed it along to them. I don’t expect that this will be fixed in this release.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base