SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Service Broker Initial connection fails if Route and Begin Dialog both include remote broker GUID

I have set up Initiator and Target on separate servers.
    All configuration passes ssbdiagnose on both servers with 0 issues.
    On Initiator the route is defined as:

CREATE ROUTE [BirstTarget]
    WITH
    SERVICENAME = '//Birst/GPS/LocationService',
    BROKER
    INSTANCE = 'DE98C6BB-04FC-4B4A-B9E0-256B71A7FE3B',
    ADDRESS = 'tcp://db-core:4037'
    GO

When using the following code for the Dialog:

BEGIN DIALOG CONVERSATION @handle     FROM SERVICE [//Birst/GPS/InitiatorLocationService]

TO SERVICE '//Birst/GPS/LocationService', 'DE98C6BB-04FC-4B4A-B9E0-256B71A7FE3B'
    ON CONTRACT [//Birst/GPS/LocationContract]
    WITH ENCRYPTION =OFF ;

I see an error in SQL Profiler saying No Certificate followed by cannot create security context and the message is dropped!

By only removing the BROKER_INSTANCE from the ROUTE all is…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Power View - Hidden View Filters

Designers should be able to specify that some filters are hidden when the report is being viewed in Presentation or Full Screen mode. Sometimes a filter is required for a view to function correctly, and users should not be able to modify the filter value.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Power View - Add Parameter Support

Provide the ability to pass URL parameters when opening a Power View report to set view filters, similar to passing report filter values to SSRS

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 14

<=-=Oct 17 2014 11:33AM=-=>

Significant functionality to compete with other BI tools like QlikView and Tableau. This is a glaring omission at present.

<=-=Feb 20 2015 1:08PM=-=>

We are struggling to implement requested reports in PowerView due to this issue. Very difficult when we are trying to roll out new visualization technology only to be handcuffed with certain restrictions that are available in competitors tools.

<=-=Mar 24 2015 1:32PM=-=>

You can do this, refer to this Blog article.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rhysschmidtke/archive/2013/12/09/add-power-view-filters-to-a-report-url.aspx

It only seems to work with RDLX files currently. PV reports created from Excel do not accept the parameters from what I can tell.

Syntax:

http://my.sharepointsite.net/sites/sitename/_layouts/15/ReportServer/AdHocReportDesigner.aspx?RelativeReportUrl=/sites/sitename/PowerPivot%20Gallery/reportname.rdlx&ViewMode=Presentation&rf=[TableName].[FieldName] eq ‘Value’

RF Syntax:

&rf=[Table Name].[Field Name] eq ‘Value’

4. ODBC connection from Powerpivot connecting to MySQL Error

Hi Team,
    We are unable to connect MySQL from powerpivot 2012 for excel 64 bit .

Server : windows Server 2008R2
    Excel : 2013 64 bit / powerpivot 2012
    MySQL : 5.2
    ODBC : 5.1 /64 bit

I have enabled SQL Mode + ANSI standards in MySQL Server and get an error stating error in SQL syntax. I can preview the data in the query window but cannot use it in powerpivot.

I had the same issue in Analysis services 2012 with 32 bit connector. SSIS works fine.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. queries get slower the more dimensions that are added to the cube

Look at the attached cube. Unzip and restore it to SSAS2012 SP1 CU1 or higher. Note it's got one measure group with 3 dimensions in the Adventure Works cube. But note that there are 40 other dimensions, all role-playing dimensions off the same dimension. Note those 40 other dimensions aren't connected to any measure group (or at least not to the measure group in question).

And note the following tests produce the same results for both of the attachments. The CubeAttributeQueryScalabilitySmall.zip contains a backup of a cube where the 40 other dimensions each have one row. The CubeAttributeQueryScalability.zip contains a…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Ability to add / save "Comments" on Power View

Would there be a possibility to add "Comments", "Review Notes" or "Annotations" on Power View?

The idea is that Power View sheets / reports may be shared with a number of people (say Managers). They want to pass the reports to another manager and ask for feedback. Adding a text field containing the comments is not ideal as it always gets displayed on the sheet and it will clutter the report too much.

I think it should be available for both SharePoint and Excel version.

Thank you!

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. PowerPivot (2013) No columns detected

I had a working powerpivot model (Excel 2013) that called an sproc in the data connector. When I added a single additional column to the select statement in the sproc, validation of the data connection immediately started failing with �SQL statement is not valid. There are no columns detected in the statement�.

The SQL logic already included a statement for �SET NOCOUNT ON� and I manually verified that none of the statements in the sproc were returning any rows except the select statement. The work-around turned out to be to modified the SELECT logic in the sproc to NOT alias…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. How to export PowerView data into Excel

Apparently, there is no easy way to export data from PowerView to Excel. Even in Excel 2013, the behavior that I would need was to have slicers shared between PowerPivot and PowerView; applying one slicer, the same would be reflected between PowerPivot and PowerView.
    PowerView users will be able to view, analyse and filter the report. If they need more detailed information or data lists, they will be able to export that data to Excel. For instance, if we are making an analyse about products sold by year and countries in PowerView, I would like to be able to export…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 90

<=-=Feb 11 2013 1:50PM=-=>

I second this request. I would guess that Microsoft’s intent is that we use PowerPivot instead, and keep everything in excel to begin with but, when your users aren’t familiar with how to use pivot tables, and Power View has such a nice, easy to use interface, it’s unfortunate that we don’t have that option. Hopefully MS will rethink their decision and include that functionality in a future release

<=-=Apr 4 2013 5:19PM=-=>

Yes this is crucial. Using the powerful powerview filters to select particular records is great, but i want to then copy that out to excel for use in mailmerges etc.

<=-=May 23 2013 2:30PM=-=>

I can’t believe there is no way for me to create reports, but not export them in more consumable formats :(

<=-=Aug 2 2013 11:19AM=-=>

That would be very useful for my business users. We are not…

9. Syntax Error in DAX Measure Formula Results in Loss of Code

When writing complex DAX measures in SSDT, whenever there's a syntax error SSDT reverts back to the last known good state of the measure. This is very frustrating because it often means that you lose a lot of code changes, which need to be re-entered, just because you made one error!

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 17

<=-=Jan 22 2013 10:23AM=-=>

Hi Chris,

Thanks for filling this issue, we will investigate this.

Thanks,
    Kasper

<=-=Jan 22 2013 2:14PM=-=>

I have a simpler repro.

1. In an Adventure Works database in FactResellerSales create a new measure with the following valid expression

Test Measure:=blank()

2. Hit enter so that SSDT will validate the expression

3. Now change it to the following (note there is a missing end bracket at the end of the expression)

Test Measure:=calculate(sum([SalesAmount]),FILTER

4. Hit the Enter key

This results in the following error

MdxScript(Model) (6, 134) The syntax for ‘;’ is incorrect.

When you click “OK” the calculated measure reverts back to the expression from step 1. wiping out all your work and not giving you a chance to fix the syntax error.

What I expect is for the incorrect expression to be retained with a warning triangle so that I have…

10. Distributed Queries not working for 32 Bit Office 2010 under 64 Bit OS

Hi,

The Distributed Queries is not working for 32 Bit Office 2010 under 64 Bit OS. Detailed configuration is:

1. WIndows 7 (64 bit, sure)

2. Microsoft Office 2010(32 Bit, sure)

3. SQL Server 2008 R2 (64 Bit, not sure, how to confirm?)

Detailed trial attempts are logged in
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlgetstarted/thread/6396618e-9e61-46a7-8502-2f69595bdbfa/

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Feb 8 2013 5:55AM=-=>

hi,
    when you install SQL the setup tells you about the 32 or 64 bit.. or you may also check it from the registry editor.

<=-=Feb 12 2013 12:32PM=-=>

Hello,

Thank you for filling this issue. We will investigate this for a future release.

Thanks,
    The Analysis Services Team

11. SSRS 2008 R2 Map Distance Scale inaccurate when Zoom applied

I have set up SSRS 2008 R2 report with data layer and map layer. Viewport is set to "Centre map to show all databound elements", with Zoom level % set to a parameter, default = 100.

When viewing maps with the Map Distance scale = 1 mile or as low as 15m/55 ft. The scale does not match the underlying map (Bing map or aerial) in the current example Truck trailer known size = 13.2 m long in aerial map appears as only ~5 metres according to scale

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. SSRS map should have an option for state labels to move into the ocean if necessary

On a pie chart in SSRS, you can change the location of the label to be outside of the pie chart. Then SSRS will automatically draw a line from the pie to the label and make sure the labels don't overlap each other.

But with an SSRS RDL map, the label for each state is in the center of each state, even if it overlaps with the state next door. You can automatically hide labels that overlap, but what I would like to have an option for is to have labels that overlap automatically be moved to somewhere without a…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Tabular Model Drillthrough Default Rows

The tabular model drillthrough is limited to 1000 rows, and this is not customisable in the same manner as the multidimensional model.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. PivotTable using PowerPivot 2012 may show date and number in different format than the regional settings

When the Excel UI locale and the user's locale are different (for example with US Excel with a UK user's settings) the date and number may appears with the US format instead of the UK format.

This occurs only using:
    - Excel 2010
    - PowerPivot 2012

Either PowerPivot 2008 R2 or Excel 2013 does not show the issue.

In order to workaround the issue, a solution is to for the connection from PivotTable to PowerPivot to use the user's locale:
    ActiveWorkbook.PivotCaches(1).WorkbookConnection.OLEDBConnection.RetrieveInOfficeUILang = False
    ActiveWorkbook.PivotCaches(1).WorkbookConnection.OLEDBConnection.LocaleID = Application.LanguageSettings.LanguageID(msoLanguageIDInstall)

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 43

<=-=Feb 18 2013 3:37AM=-=>

There is a workaround, though – some date formats work properly. See: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlkjpowerpivotforexcel/thread/e59a2260-e6dc-467b-999b-c05bcb7efc32/

<=-=Mar 22 2013 10:02AM=-=>

Thank you for filing this issue. This is an Excel issue and we will bring this issue to their attention.

Thanks,
    Kasper de Jonge

<=-=Apr 11 2016 9:59AM=-=>

Same issue in DATAZEN when the Data source is tabular model the date format is converted to US format mm/dd/yyyy

15. SSRS Word Render

Considering these 2 products are MS core products, I would like to see more accurate Word rendering from SSRS. SSRS should be able to translate to Word XML more transparently.

For example:
    - LineSpacing property does not work properly
    - "Table of Content" implementation should be out of the box
    - Word Font and styling should be available to SSRS design environment.

The major problem being Table of Content. I have googled and binged virtually all the websites and this problem is still resolved for last 7-8 years, perjhaps people are losing projects and are forced to find unnatural solutions.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. DAX - Dynamic Measure Formatting

Currently, DAX's FORMAT function returns text. It would be really helpful to have the hability to dynamically format a measure without changing it's data type (something like FORMAT_STRING in MDX/SSAS MD).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. SSRS must be improved to support SharePoint 2013

SSRS has to to increase support for HTML placeholders to match the capabilities of SharePoint 2013

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. DAXMD Power View DCR: allow &rf filtering by Key and UniqueName better

Create a filter on the Calendar Year attribute in the Date dimension and filter it to CY 2003. Note the DAX query Power View generates filters by the key:

'Date'[Calendar Year.Key0] = 2003

Now if I want to change the filter value via the URL I must use the following syntax:
    &rf=[Date].[Calendar Year] eq 'CY 2004'

Note that I have to filter by the attribute name, not the key. This makes it a bit challenging for other reports or dashboards or SSAS Report Actions to link to a Power View report and set the filter appropriately.

With the above &rf…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Jan 29 2013 5:42AM=-=>

Can you provide more information on the ability to pass report filter values to Power View via URL? Is this feature available in SQL 2012 SP1? Any doc or tips would be appreciated. I agree with your comments on allowing key values to be passed in addition to (or instead of) attribute names.

19. ReportViewer web control not supported printing and scaling in Firefox/ Chrome

Now if you create ReportViewer on .aspx page, add there any report run web application you will see all functionality in Internet Explorer. But in Firefox / Chrome you can`t print or scale report. This is needed functions. It will be very good if team is implemented this features.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 5

<=-=Sep 13 2013 12:14PM=-=>

Thank you for this feedback. It will be forwarded to the appropriate team to consider a an enhancement in a future release.

<=-=May 5 2016 8:51AM=-=>

I have recently opened a support case with Microsoft with regards to getting SSRS reports to display within a forms authentication based web site. Their latest recommendation is to use the latest version of the report viewer control. I have observed that this issue still exists with the latest version of the control. Looking at the only other comment to this issue, I find it absolutely unacceptable that nothing has been done to resolve this in over three years. As someone that is part of a Microsoft partner organization trying to promote the latest Microsoft technologies, I am disappointed that Microsoft is essentially forcing my hand in making me turn to third-party solutions such as Telerik and Stimulsoft,…

20. SQL tabular : error adding sharepoint data when SP configured for claims based authentication with a custom login page

When using SQL Server Data Tools to add a data source to my SQL tabular database (also applies to PowerPivot in Excel)...

adding a SharePoint data source (SP list) for a SharePoint site that is configured with Claims Based Authentication, using a custom login page (which happens any time ADFS is in use, or azure access control systems, or any other identity provider which allows you to select the authentication source)...

SSDT locks up. Does not show the login page. Does not do much of anything.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base