SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SSMS 18.0 RC1 is prompting for authentication upon scripting out an object from Object Explorer.

I know this is happening on version 15.0.18098.0.

The Scenario: You have a server in Object Explorer that you authenticated to. You navigate to a table in one of the databases. You right-click on the table. You choose "Script Table as" -> "CREATE To" -> "New Query Editor Window". You are then prompted with the "Connect to Database Engine" window for server selection and authentication.

This is not something that happens in SSMS 17. I installed this yesterday and when I did so I choose the option to port over all my settings from 17. Everything else has been working…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add support for Row Pattern Recognition in T-SQL (SQL:2016 features R010 and R020)

The ISO/IEC 9075:2016 standard (aka SQL:2016) introduces support for Row Pattern Recognition (RPR) in SQL. Similar to using regular expressions to identify patterns in a string, RPR allows you to use regular expressions to identify patterns in a sequence of rows.
    To me, it's the next step in the evolution of window functions. If you think that window functions are profound and useful, RPR is really going to bake your noodle.
    RPR has limitless practical applications, including identifying patterns in stock market activity, handling time series, fraud detection, material handling, shipping applications, DNA sequencing, gaps and islands, top N per…

324 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  9 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add a -connectionstring parameter to Read-SQLTableData / Write-SQLTableData commands

Given that the commands were based off of Chad Miller's original code, I noticed that the connection strings were essentially hard coded in for easier use. The problem with this is that from a security perspective, there might be set connectionstrings required from the Azure Portal that should be used.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Incorrect error message for missing parameter with sp_execute_external_script

I use spexecuteexternal_script and I spell a parameter name incorrectly. For instance:

EXEC spexecuteexternal_script @language = N'Python',

@script = N'import re, pandas

Ret = InputDataSet
    Ret["an"] = pandas.Series([re.sub("[^0-9]", "", i) for i in Ret["an"]], index = Ret.index, dtype = "int32")
    ',

@input_data_1 = N'SELECT an FROM alphanum', 

@output_data = N'Ret'

The error message is

Msg 214, Level 16, State 175, Procedure spexecuteexternal_script, Line 1 [Batch Start Line 4]
    Procedure expects parameter '@params' of type 'ntext/nchar/nvarchar'.

Which is confusing , since spexecuteexternal_script has a parameter by that name, but it is not mandatory.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Traceflag 460 causing truncation errors on code paths that are not followed

This is an odd one. I have tested this on both SQL Server 2017 CU12 and CU13 (in a container and on my production boxes).

If you have an IF/ELSE condition, and you are inserting into a table variable in the ELSE, and that INSERT would cause a truncation issue, it will throw an error, EVEN IF THE CODE IS NOT EXECUTED.

I have attached a reprop script that creates a database called "Repro" and runs the code. When TF460 is enabled, the ELSE block with throw an error when inserting into a table variable, even though it is impossible…

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Restore a table from a backup

Hi Msft team!
    I'm writing to reccomending a new feature that will help us a lot! Every time that we have data issues (truncate or DML by accident) we need to restore the entire database or filegroup and that takes a lot of time! it will be awesome if you can add the posibility to restore a table from a backup or restore to a point in time directly from SSMS instead off the whole process.
    I hope this helps!
    Thank you!

971 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

98 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Multiple parallelism (exchange) operators in a row with nonclustered columnstore and DISALLOW_BATCH_MODE

In SQL Server 2019 CTP 2.0 the following repro produces a plan with three Repartition Streams operators in a row:

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS #P;

CREATE TABLE #P
    (

Id integer IDENTITY NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY, 

UserId integer NOT NULL

);

INSERT #P

(UserId)

SELECT TOP (5 * 1000 * 1000)

ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY @@SPID)

FROM master.dbo.sptvalues AS V1
    CROSS JOIN master.dbo.spt
    values AS V2;

CREATE NONCLUSTERED COLUMNSTORE INDEX n ON #P (Id, UserId);

SELECT TOP (10)

P.UserId, 

COUNT_BIG(*)

FROM #P AS P
    GROUP BY P.UserId
    OPTION (USE HINT ('DISALLOWBATCHMODE'));

Plan attached.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Please provide RTF support in SSRS and/or SQL Server 2012+. Thank you.

Please provide RTF support in SSRS and/or SQL Server 2012+. Thank you.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Support for INCLUDE on inline index creation

Sadly, the below sample CREATE TABLE command fails. While support for certain features have been added to inline index creation syntax since it's original release, INCLUDE'd columns are not yet supported.

Please add syntax support for inline creation of indexes with INCLUDE specifications.

```sql
    drop table if exists foo;
    go
    create table foo (

a int primary key

,b int
    ,c int
    ,index d (c) include (b)

);
    go
    ```

References:
    1. Official docs: "Include not supported."
    * https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/whats-new-in-sql-server-2016?view=sql-server-2014#inline-specification-of-clustered-and-nonclustered
    2. msdn blog: filtered index & columnstore support added for inline index syntax
    * https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/arvindsh/2015/05/31/inline-index-definition-in-sql-server-2016-ctp2/

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add Integration Services to existing SQL Server 2017 installation failed

If I try to add Integration Services to an existing SQL Server 2017 installation it breaks with an error. The setup tries to install Visual C++ 2015, but Visual C++ 2017 is already installed, because it was updated. Is the a supported way to get the Integration Service installed properly?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. SSMS bug: SET STATISTICS PROFILE ON is enabled when both actual plans and live plans are enabled

Using SSMS 17.9 (14.0.17285) and SQL Server 2017 (14.0.3037.1), click Query, Include Actual Execution Plan, and then click Query, Include Live Query Statistics. Then run any query, like:

SELECT * FROM sys.databases;

You get a second result set with the content of STATISTICS PROFILE, as if you'd set SET STATISTICS PROFILE ON.

This only happens when you turn on both Actual Plans and Live Query Statistics. It doesn't happen when you turn on either one individually.

Expected behavior: STATISTICS PROFILE data should only be enabled if you turn it on.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. On Linux MSSQL Server, available_physical_memory_kb value is incorrect in sys.dm_os_sys_me.

Run query "SELECT * FROM sys.dmossys_memory;" for linux SQL server.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. SSRS Lookup function bug in SQL Server 2016

I've posted this on StackOverflow already so I'll just share a link to the question rather than reproducing everything again but the basic issue is.

If a lookup, that find a non-unique value, is used in a textbox bewteen two filtered charts that share the same dataset, then the legend on the second chart shows the last entry from the previous chart.

I've attached the RDL also but the connection will have to be edited to any valid SQL Server before it will run. I've constructed the dataset using a table variable so you don't need any database tables.

Link…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. SSRS 2017 bug in subscription scheduler "week" view - only "Sun" checkbox changes

Version: SSRS 2017, build 14.0.600.689

I don't see this issue in the change list for the two later builds (744 or 892).

Repro:

1. Create a new subscription to an existing report

2. Under "schedule", make sure "Report-specific schedule" is selected, and click "Edit Schedule"

3. At the top, select "Week"

4. Click on the weekday checkboxes. No matter what box or day you click, only the checkbox next to "Sun" checks/unchecks.

Reproducible in Chrome and IE 11.

Fortunately there is a workaround:

1. Click instead on "Day"

2. Click "On the following days"

3. Check or uncheck whichever days you want

4. Click back on "Week", it…
    3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Aggregate Transform in ssis

Please enhance the current Aggregate Transform in SSIS to include support for character related columns for MIN, MAX operations.
    This would be really helpful in cases where we need to use cross tab related logic to pivot on multiple columns based on multiple conditions.

This will be analogous to below query construct in Transact SQL

SELECT KeyColumn,
    MAX(CASE WHEN Col1= 'value1' THEN Col2 END) AS PvtCol11,
    MAX(CASE WHEN Col1= 'value2' THEN Col2 END) AS PvtCol12,
    MAX(CASE WHEN Col1= 'value3' THEN Col2 END) AS PvtCol13,
    MAX(CASE WHEN Col3= 'value1' THEN Col4 END) AS PvtCol21,
    MAX(CASE WHEN Col3= 'value2' THEN Col4…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add SSIS to the SQL Server Docker Image

I work for a large bank which it trying to move hundreds of SSIS packages into GitLab pipelines. This task would happen faster an easier with SSIS on the MS SQL Server Docker image.

163 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  8 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio - Transact-SQL IntelliSense - Consumes Connections? - Is it a bug?

I am working on a project where we use SSMS for writing SQL queries and SP's. We have large team of developers and most of them use SSMS everyday. Recently there was change in Azure VM's allocated to us. Once we started using these new VM's we observed that after certain time SSMS refuses new connection and gives connection error. After some analysis and querying sys.dmexecconnections table we come to know that, there are around 1200+ connections most of them are in sleeping state.

We used below query to get the details about the program names, query and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. The Disk Usage by Top Tables SSMS Report formatting bug

The Standard SSMS Report "Disk Usage by Top Tables" does not handle formatting well for tables with over 1bn rows which results in line-break. The column is not wide enough and in fact, it does not even accommodate its own column header.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Test the SSDT with new Versions of Visual Studio before releasing them to the public.

TITLE: SQL Server Integration Services

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.IntegrationServicesEnum, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The parameter is incorrect. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070057 (E_INVALIDARG)) (mscorlib)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

The parameter is incorrect. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070057 (E_INVALIDARG)) (mscorlib)

BUTTONS:

OK

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base