Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Microsoft Q&A or Stack Overflow

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. add and error to explicitly tells you that sql login is disablw

when you use a valid mssql user to connect to a db and that server only allows windows authentication, and my user uses sql server auth, return an explicit error detailing the error

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. delayed durability

Delayed durability is a great feature.
    Thanks for that.
    But can you please aff some parameter to force parameterization for a specific hostname, or login, like the Resource Governor does with the classification function.
    Sometimes, the source code is not accessible, and forcing the delayed durability for all the workload make not sense, so adding more options would be very valuable.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Allow table_or_view argument for scope_identity function

allow table as an argument to scope_identity(). This would be particularly useful when using in combination with the output clause used within an insert statement.

declare @id int;

insert into dbo.TableA(
    ColB)
    output
    inserted.ColB
    into dbo.TableB(
    ColB)
    values(
    'B');

set @id = scope_identity('dbo.TableA');

select @id as id;

I am aware that the value can be caught into a temporary table, but this then removes the benefit of the implicit transaction across both tables under one statement.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. After a SELECT, allow us to sort the results at the column level (like Access used to do)

I know that I can use ORDER BY in in the query, but sometimes you want to see the data from a different point of view, and this would save from having to run a potentially complex query more than once.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Managed Service Account as SQl Server Credential

It would be great if Managed service account is alllowed to be used as a credential in sql server ,the way it could be used to run sql services as a logon and the way we can use to configure SSRS.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Add support for "Prevent saving changes that require table re-creation" option in SqlPackage / SSDT

In SQL Server Management studio, there's a designer option called "Prevent saving changes that require table re-creation".

It would be extremely useful to have a similar option in SqlPackage.exe as well, as it could stop dangerous deployments that could potentially re-create very large tables and severely impact production environments while doing so.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. require sorting option in SSRS Mobile Report data Gride

there is no way to sort data as per max to min value in in SSRS Mobile Report data Gride. It will be helpfull if this feature is added.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. New data to a new partition

When partitioning large tables, it requires a large maintenance window as the clustered index has to be recreated. It would be great, if there is a feature to add the new data to a new partition while the old data stays as it is.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Option to see In-memory database recovery completion % in error log or else like on-disk DB

It's better to add an option to show in-memory DBs recovery completion % in SQL error log as like on-disk DBs that current recovery completion in error log in SQL server.

Thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add CHANGE_TRACKING_CURRENT_VERSION to sys.change_tracking_tables

If changetrackingtables had the last value of CHANGETRACKINGCURRENT_VERSION for each table, it would make much easier to detect which tables has changed since a previous moment in time.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Need to add DQS rules by batch

Customer has a request to improve method adding Domain Rules in DQS. He has many rules to enter, is it possible to have a way to create rules by batch, for example import from files?

From the DQS Client, currently we can only do this manually, enter the rule one by one.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Reduce free space and optimize indexes for prepare database for a Read-Only state

MSSQL should have a tool that allows users - reduce free space and optimize indexes to prepare a database for a state Read-Only.
    Current commands "shrink database/files" and "rebuild indexes" are against each other. The first reduce a free space but defragment all indexes, the second fragments indexes but add free space into the database.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. I would like to have Group Managed Service Accounts act as a credential in SQL server for proxy administration

Allow GMSA to be a credential in SQL Server, that would make the transition to GMSA much smoother for us

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Tab Grouping

I want you to add a tab grouping feature to SSMS.
    I want to be able to group tabs, name the group, Save, edit, delete them.
    I can give you a great design suggestion on this issue, but would you listen?
    I don't know if I should make such a request from those who remove the Debug feature.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. T-SQL: Improve CURSOR loop by making FETCH a subquery returning @@FETCHSTATUS

By making FETCH into a valid subquery returning @@FETCHSTATUS, this simplifies the standard cursor loop to avoid repeating the FETCH clause. This approach has the advantage of being backwards compatible (new way is currently a syntax error, old way still works after the change).

WHILE (FETCH NEXT FROM cursor INTO @var) = 0
    BEGIN
    PRINT @var
    END

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Dual Histories for Find and Replace

In SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio)/Visual Studio, in the Find and Replace dialog box there are the search string and replace string fields. They each keep a history of recently used strings. I wish that each field keeps two histories, one for plain text and another for regular expressions. I don't need to see any regular expressions when the search mode is plain text, and I don't need to see my plain text history when I have regular expressions turned on. The benefit is that a bunch of one time, easy to enter plain text searches won't push my complex,…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Attach Database - Error message is behind a sign that says "Beware of the Leopard".

When you attempt to attach a database and there is an error in the process, you get an error message:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

An error occurred when attaching the database(s). Click the hyperlink in the Message column for details.

BUTTONS:

OK

You then have to scroll all the way to the end of the row in the Attach Databases Dialgoue, and then click the hyperlink to get the actual error message.

Please can you just make it so we get the error message and don't have to dig and scroll and click to see it?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Support Synapse Serverless pools in SSDT

Currently when trying to connect to a serverless pool via Visual Studio you get the error "FUNCTION 'SESSIONPROPERTY' is not supported" in 2017 and the "The server version or database compatibility level is not supported" in 2019. This limits the ability to use source control and a good CICD practice for these databases. Although source control is available in Synapse Studio, it doesn't extend yet through to the database level and you have to script all your objects out into SQL scripts for Synapse to manage.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Wrap text in the SSMS results grid

In SSMS, I am regularly working with thousands of text columns that contain large amounts of text. When viewing text in these columns I have to expand the column and then scroll to read the text to make sure that it is accurate. We have literally thousands of such columns that must be accurate and that often need checking with human eyes to make sure the text is correct.

My suggestion is that you modernise the SSMS results grid to make it more user friendly with long text being wrapped to make it more readable by human beings. Removing the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. ORDER BY by @parameter

It would be very nice to order a select directly by a @parameter, instead of using dynamic SQL, or a CASE in the order by clause

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 223 224
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base