SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SSAS Model In-Memory Management & Monitoring Framework

Provide a tool out-of-box to manage, refresh & monitor in-memory models.

Here is the high level summary of what's expected. The more detail feature list is attached

• Model In-Memory needs refresh to keep data up-to-date
    • Switching & configuring any Model for In-Memory processing (based on the metadata)
    • Tables within the model can be configured for efficient processing with incremental & partitioning.
    • Handling source record updates\deletes in case of incremental refresh
    • Model Grouping & execution for ease of scheduling
    • Logging & Monitoring of refresh execution.
    • Integrating into Devops Pipeline

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Central Management Server - Multi selection

Hello,
    CMS is a wonderful feature in the SSMS.
    But it would be awesome to be able to select specific folders (or servers) which I want to query.

For example i can have following tree structure
    PROD
    -SERVER1
    -SERVER2
    -SERVER3

I can query parent folder PROD or directly servers under it, but I'd like to select for example SERVER1 and SERVER3 and skip SERVER2

Simple solution would be to put checkboxes next to it.

Thank you very much!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Shutdown SQL Server User databases in a parallel manner.

This enhancement to a future SQL Server release is to address starting and stopping SQL Server instances with large numbers of user databases. This enhancement would help to shutdown an instance with more than 500 databases in an especially timely manner. Currently the shutdown process closes databases in a single database at a time method. When there are a high number of databases to close this process takes too long. The SQL PID ends up being killed by the OS or Cluster Manager. This leaves a situation that could lead to database corruption. To address this, it would help if…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Bad Font change in SSMS v18+

This is minor problem, but the font change in v18 is far harder to read thn in v17 and lower. The WIDER font in v18 is harder on the eyes than the narrow style in v18.

Also, the folder sizes are proportionately smaller than in v17, also making it harder to see.

Compare old and new...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. SSMS Bookmark Persistence

Bookmarks created in SSMS are not persisted from one instance to another. After creating the bookmarks, restarting SSMS will result in an empty bookmark list. This de-values the Bookmark feature greatly.

Bookmarks should the persistence options of: 1) in source, 2) external file, 3) none.

1) In Source: When a bookmark is created, insert a comment line with --Bookmark: FolderName\BookmarkName. This will allow the bookmark to be saved to a stored procedure and used by some else editing the stored procedure. If saved as a file, it would be included in the source control repository (e.g. git).

1a) An…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Support alias data types in memory optimized tables

Alias data types are an excellent way to enforce data integrity in a DB of a complex application. However currently, SQL Server raises error 10794 "The type 'dbo.MyUDT' is not supported with memory optimized tables."
    Because alias data types are just "aliases" for native SQL datatypes, I don't see the reason for that. Can you please tweak the SQL parser (or whatever component is involved) to support alias data types in memory optimzed tables?
    N.B.: Sure, this argument does NOT apply for CLR- types.

Many thanks for considering!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. SQL Server Linux integration with the .NET Framework "clr" with dotnet core

Would it be possible to add SQL Server Linux integration with the .NET Framework "clr" with dotnet core?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add the CEIL alias for the CEILING function

I propose to add the CEIL alias for the CEILING function.

Explanation: The CEIL function is in ANSI SQL Standard, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, and in the C language.

Scalar SQL functions differ quite significantly among RDBMS. This step will reduce this difference. Other changes in RDBMS proposed by me are here: https://github.com/iwis/Scalar-SQL-functions/blob/main/Proposed_changes.md

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. SSMS Script DB User with Roles

In SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio) Object Explorer, I wish that when scripting out a database principal there was an option to include scripting the principal's role memberships as well. It should include only direct role memberships in sys.databaserolemembers. It should EXCLUDE transitive role memberships.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. sqlcmd for ARM64

Why doesn't Microsoft support its own hardware for its database tools? The fact that you can't query a SQL Server database from a Surface PRO X (emphasis mine) is surprising and disappointing. Back to my MacBook, I guess ...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Please put back 'Debug', 'Open in Excel' and 'Script as Insert' features back to SSMS

Debug feature is very good feature for troubleshooting. Please put is back ASAP
    'Open in Excel' and 'Script as Insert' features are also very good feature that we have in SSMS v17.9. They are gone from v18.1
    Please put them back to SSMS.
    Thank you!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Usability Improvements for restore database

From a user standpoint, it takes far too many clicks to restore a database from device. You first have to click the radio button, then the ellipse (could be just clicking the ellipse default selects radio?). Then you have to "add", why? Clearly I know I need to add why does that window exist at all. Then I browse location. If I have a folder name on my clipboard, I have to click the "referesh" twice to get it to respond. First seems to be to activate the button then second to execute. A much needed improvement would be to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Configure Delete Object

I would like to be able to configure Delete Object; basically, I always use the "close connection" when deleting an object and there is no where I can find to set it. The other check box is on by default. Why not close connection?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Remember Load Database dialog window size

When Restore Database is selected, the screen is too small and has to be manually expanded each time. Just remember the window size like it used to.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. I want to use sp_execute_external_script to operate Python Statistical algorithm, but here’s the problem: there was a five-sec pause when tr

I want to use spexecuteexternalscript to operate Python Statistical algorithm, but here's the problem: there was a five-sec pause when transfer to pyhon code in store procedure,which leads to a bad response from our customers. I wrote external scripts enabled configvalue=1 and run_value=1.
    In addition, python code runs fast in single Python Executor, but slow in sqlserver store procedure, even the simplest summarize operation.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. CREATE FULLTEXT INDEX for IN-MEMORY OLTP

Add FULLTEXT search for IN-MEMORY OLTP .

This feature need for give good performance in search product, descriptions and etc.

Is necessary full-text search functions like contains-table or free-text-table
    and full text index on in-memory optimize table in SQL Server.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Azure Managed Instance Linked servers are not able to use current users Azure Active Directory security context

Azure Managed Instance Linked servers are not able to use current users Azure Active Directory security context

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Replace all incorrect usage of terms "kilo" with "kibi"

The software and sql docs uses the terms kilobyte (KB), megabyte (MB), gigabyte (GB) and terabyte (TB).
    In all places I have seen these terms used the are actually incorrect and should be replaced by kibibyte (KiB), mibibyte (MiB), gibibyte (GiB) and tibibyte (TiB).

Reference: https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/sql-docs/issues/5706

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 214 215
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories