SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SQL Coding Standard missing in the SQL Server documentation

While the product has been in existance since long, MS has failed to share the coding standards for SQL programming under the SQL Server documentation section.
    While there are coding standards for C# available in the C# documentation section, the coding standards for SQL Server are missing.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. SQL Transactional Replication - identify transaction

Transactional replication is configured and running:
    SRC/DIST/TGT: SQL Server 2017 14.0.3281.6
    SRC - DIST - TGT
    TGT - DIST - SRC

1) I have configured transaction replication (uni-dir) for tableA SRC->DIST->TGT. Also configured another trans replication for same table "tableA" from TGT-DIST-SRC. In other words, this is bi-directional replication for tableA using trans replication technique. When I insert row for tableA in SRC, it is replicating back to SRC because log reader on TGT doesn't differentiate between user-trans & dist-agent-trans. This is causing infinite looping. We cannot use merge replication for tableA due to some issues. My suggestion would be…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Allow exclusion of non supported data type columns in Polybase External Tables

I have been using Polybase with SQL Server 2019 and on the most part I really like it. I have found though that there are some tables I can't create as External Tables due to incompatible data types. It would be great if in the wizard in Azure Data Studio when trying to create the external tables, you could choose what columns to bring in as opposed to just not allowing the table to be pulled in due to 1 incompatible column.

I am mainly running into this with connecting to an Oracle (SAP HANA) database. The tables I need…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. SQL Server Audit Logs for Encrypted Backups

Currently you can configure auditing for Backup & Restore Operations, However the audit logs doesn't clearly show if the backup taken was encrypted or not. The backup statement of the operation is caught but it will be hard to parse for Audit Logs Monitoring.

TDE is an important security feature, that will add the value of encrypting backups, so we need to monitor and track confidential database when an unencrypted backup was taken !

my recommendation is to add a new filed in the audit logs to flag if backup generated was encrypted or not....this will greatly enhance security monitoring.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. SSMS in a Docker Container!

Give us a Docker Container which supplies SSMS such that one can run SSMS on MacOS / Linux. We Love SQL Server but many of us prefer a non-windows desktop and Azure Data Studio is not an adequate replacement for SSMS. Being able to run SSMS on a Mac / Linux environment is the big missing piece to moving away from Oracle, Do it. Do It! DO IT! ( You know you want to... )

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. SSMS for MacOS / Linux

Azure Data Studio is no substitute for SSMS. You are one of the greatest companies in the world, ACT LIKE IT! To say, "Well it would be hard..." is a cop-out. Give us this. We want it, we need it and frankly it is the missing piece to de-throwing Oracle in the Linux space, and who doesn't want to see that??!! Do it. Do It! DO IT!!!! (You know you want to...)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow Resource Governor to control the CAP of the TOTAL IO in MB/s

We need to define the maximum total disk throughput (MB/second instead of IOPS) per Resource Pool and to be able to cap the total maximum throughput on the SQL Server Instance level in Resource Governor.

The current offering of MAXIOPSPER_VOLUME allows us to control one common value across a number of different volumes, where IOPs is not a very constant, since SQL Server does a wide range of different block sized operations.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add the Application Insights SDK to the SQL Server .NET apps - SSRS, SSIS, MDS, etc. so that instances can be included in Azure Monitor

Azure Monitor is great, but the integration with IaaS or On-prem instances requires hand-crafting a polling app to feed the ExecutionLog3 into Azure Monitor. Be great if in the next Service Packs the AI SDKs were added.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 64-bit version of SQL Server Management Studio

It would be wonderful to have x64 version of Management Studio to be able to address more than 4 GB RAM and many other benefits of x64 platform.
    Sometimes I have an error System.OutOfMemoryException running large scripts and it could be fixed moving to x64.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. ScalarGbAggToTop transformation with MAX(nullable_column) produces sub optimal plan

For the following setup

CREATE TABLE #T1(X INT NULL UNIQUE CLUSTERED);

CREATE TABLE #T2(X INT NULL UNIQUE CLUSTERED);

INSERT INTO #T1
    OUTPUT INSERTED.X INTO #T2
    SELECT TOP 1000000 NULLIF(ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY 1/0),1)
    FROM sys.all_objects o1,
    sys.all_objects o2;

WITH CTE AS
    (
    SELECT X FROM #T1
    UNION ALL
    SELECT X FROM #T2
    )
    SELECT MAX(X)
    FROM CTE

The execution plan is needlessly inefficient. It has scans with IS NOT NULL and IS NULL predicates despite the fact that these predicates would be seekable. Additionally the IS NULL scan is ordered backwards meaning it is guaranteed to have to read all…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Sum numerical fields in the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio IDE

When selecting a column of numerical fields, please display sum of items in the panel, like Excel does.

This would so many times save me time of copying query results to Excel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. SQL Server TDE encrypting Master Database

in TDE implimentation (MSSQL user databases are encrypted) and TempDB are partially encrypted whenever one database is being encrypted using TDE.

There is a security weakness in the current setup of TDE, the MASTER database should be encrypted through TDE also. MASTER database holds a lot of critical information such as login passwords, the certificate,....etc.

SO, TDE implementation should cover MASTER system database to strengthen the security implementation.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. SQL Server Flashback Data

with very large database systems, backup and restore activity is challenging and many times logical errors can happen anytime especially with big critical systems.

when i say "logical errors", this means DML operation of update,delete,insert by mistake. in order to cover this operation in a very large database system will require performing a complete backup of the full database then differential, transaction log.....etc (the whole backup chain).

what i am proposing is a new "feature" to have a guaranteed transaction log (without truncation) and have the ability to use flashback capability to recover data quickly in-place without the need of…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. sql server serverproperty for security updates

serverproperty is a very useful function in SQL Server, it will be great if there is an entry for the "security update" applied in SQL Server instance. This information will be much needed since version SQL Server 2017,2019 only cumulative updates, and security updates are the type of patches being released.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. TSQL and Stored Procedure Debugging

You removed one of the very best options in SSMS - Debugging.
    I don't know why you removed it but, I use older versions of SSMS just to keep the ability to step into stored procedures

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Specify default schema in schema-bound SQL

When creating a schema-bound view, function and so on, it should be possible to specify a default schema explicitly. So instead of

create view myview with schemabinding as
    select a from myschema.mytable

you could declare a default schema up front:

create view myview with schemabinding(myschema) as
    select a from mytable

Then in the body of the view definition, if an explicit schema is not given, the default of myschema is used. This way the view can still be schema-bound (it does not vary with the default schema of the user calling it) but you save typing out the same schema…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Query hint for disabling table triggers for a single statement

I've got a number of applications that (mis)use triggers. Much of the logic is redundant and can be handled externally, so for particular commands, I do not need those triggers in place. I cannot disable them globally, and would love to have a query hint that would disable triggers on a targeted table for a single command without interrupting their usage for other sessions.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow to use SQLCMD variables in SSDT for MAX_QUEUE_READERS

I would like to set different values for MAXQUEUEREADERS in production and development environments.

To do it I tried following SQL:

CREATE QUEUE Queue
    WITH ACTIVATION (

PROCEDURE_NAME = ActivationProc,

MAX_QUEUE_READERS = $(WorkerPoolSize),
    EXECUTE AS OWNER);

SSDT reports syntax error at $(WorkerPoolSize) during build.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow parallel processing of multidimensional models in Analysis Services on SQL Standard

Currently, the Standard edition of Analysis Services doesn't support parallel processing of partitions in multidimensional models. This was confirmed to us by Microsoft Support but appears to be an undocumented limitation, as it is not documented in the edition comparison: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/analysis-services/analysis-services-features-supported-by-the-editions-of-sql-server-2016?view=sql-analysis-services-2017

I suggest that parallel processing of partitions in multidimensional models should be enabled in SQL Standard. This would align to the fact that SQL Standard does allow multiple partitions per Measure Group in a multidimensional model (up to three), and allow Analysis Services to utilize all the cores available on a server. SQL Standard supports up to 24 cores,…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Extend support for more methods on Sequence objects

Just like other RDMS has support for both NEXTVAL and CURRVAL, I would like SQL Server to support
    SELECT CURRENT VALUE FOR dbo.MySequenceObject;

I know sys.sequences have support for this, but only on 2017 and later.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 206 207
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base