SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SQL Server Management Studio Tab hangs the whole SSMS when working with dual monitors

This is a bug I found the other day while I was trying to create a new table via the SSMS ( I am working with dual screens here).

Here is what I did

1. As always, I started by right clicking Tables > New > Table via the objects explorer in my Left monitor.

2. After the UI to create new table opened, I dragged the Tab to the other monitor to my right on full screen.

3. I then added a few columns and normal stuffs.

4. I then pressed Ctrl + S to finally save my table…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Deleting an Azure SQL database throws an error about Anonymous Login, but deletes the database

Right click DB created by an unsucessful SSDT publish and choose delete, then click OK on the dialog to delete it.

Things spin around but then an error is reported about NT AUTHOIRITY\Anonymous login (sp), and I have to click Cancel to close the dialog. Refreshing the databases list in Object explorer shows the db has been deleted.

Here is the redacted details from the error message.
    --------
    ===================================

Drop failed for Database 'MY_DATABASE'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

------------------------------
    For help, click: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=15.0.18131.0+((SSMS_Rel).190606-1032)&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOperationExceptionText&EvtID=Drop+Database&LinkId=20476

------------------------------
    Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.SqlSmoObject.DropImpl(Boolean isDropIfExists)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Database.Drop()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlManagerUI.DropObjects.DoDropObject(Int32 objectRowIndex)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlManagerUI.DropObjects.DropAllObjects(Boolean stopOnError)

===================================

An exception occurred while executing…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. فاطمه اسکندری پرسنل تعویض پلاک اتحاد

فاطمه اسکندری پرسنل تعویض پلاک اتحاد

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. SQL Server CTP 3.1 function error

Call a function like this:

SET @var_FirstPolicyID = dbo.f_IPD_GetFirstPolicyID(@p_PolicyID, DEFAULT, DEFAULT)

causes SQL Server to throw the following exception:

Msg 596, Level 21, State 1, Line 0
    Cannot continue the execution because the session is in the kill state.
    Msg 0, Level 20, State 0, Line 0
    A severe error occurred on the current command. The results, if any, should be discarded.

This has been tested in both 2016 and 2017 and works ok.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Criteria pane handles strings, resembling decimals, incorrectly

When using Criteria pane and want to filter by varchar(50) column using value 27208863,10353, it shows that it is treated like string, but only after the value was determined as decimal earlier, resulting in inserting wrong value to the query being executed.
    You have to insert the value in quotes manually to get correct results.

27208863,10353 => '27208863.10353'
    '27208863,10353' => '27208863,10353'

Same behavior in SSMS 17.7 and 18.1.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Azure Data Studio loses parts of the Query Plan visual

When switching between tabs in Azure Data Studio, if I have a query plan displayed then when switching back to that tab the lines between the operators have disappeared

Steps to reproduce the bug:

1 Run a query – any query
    2 Hit the Explain button to get the graphical query plan
    3 Switch to another tab
    4 Switch back to the query tab – the connection lines between the operators in the query plan have disappeared.

Version 1.7

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. SSMS 18.x cannot connect to SQL Server 2017 SSIS but 18.x is the version linked to for the 2017 Sql Server

SSMS 18.x cannot connect to SQL Server 2017 SSIS but 18.x is the version linked to for 2017 Sql Server.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Just uninstalled ssms 18.1 and installed an older version instead.

Wasn't a fan of 18.1 and when I'd switch between different tabs (windows), the windows wouldn't refresh. In otherwords, If I'm looking at stored procedure A on tab 1 and stored procedure B is open on tab 2, if i switch to tab 2, I still see code for stored procedure A. I just downgraded to SSMS 2016 (16.1) and don't have this issue. I also think SSMS 2016 is more visually pleasing then the newer version. I think sometimes in the unending pursuit to improve software, we end up actually making things worse......

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Intermittent "One or more parameters were not specified for the sub report" in SSRS

I have an internal parameter that defaults to the User!UserID on all of the master and subreports as well as multiple visible parameters. Frequently, when I run the master report it runs no problem and some times it fails
    with the "one or more parameters..." message (same values). I resubmit and it works (I have to change something to get it to resubmit so I usually change a lower case a to an upper case A or something similar).

I'm having problems isolating exactly what is causing it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Beim ziehen einer Tabelle mit der linken Maustaste in Editor kommt eine Fehlermeldun und das Studio kann nur im Taskmanager beendet werden.

Beim ziehen einer Tabelle mit der linken Maustaste in Editor kommt eine Fehlermeldun und das Studio kann nur im Taskmanager beendet werden.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Unable to restore to a new database that has no backup

When I try to restore a database from a file (click the device button) where there is no active backup for the database, the screen locks.
    steps to reproduce.
    Create new database
    Right click on database and select restore

Version 18.1
    SQL 2016
    Try to restore from a file.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. SSMS 18.1 - when switching from a long script tab to another script tab, the old script will get "stuck" on the screen

1. Open two long SQL script files.
    2. Click the tab to show the first one.
    3. Click the tab to show the second one.

Expected results: second script is displayed
    Actual results: first script remains on screen until you scroll

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. SSMS v18.1 incorrectly flags batch repeater as invalid syntax

SQL Server Management Studio incorrectly flags the repeat count on the GO command/statement as invalid syntax.

For example:

SELECT 1 AS [Field]
    GO 10

When executed, the above will repeat the batch 10 times. This is documented in the SQL Server documentation on the GO command/statement:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/t-sql/language-elements/sql-server-utilities-statements-go?view=sql-server-2017

In SSMS v18.1, the syntax checker will highlight the number 10 indicating an error. The hover text for the error reads "Incorrect syntax near '10'." This error is not correct.

Executing the batch performs as expected. The batch is executed 10 times.

This is a rarely used feature of the GO command/statement, but…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Live Query Statistics and Cancel Query

Cancelling the currently active query when "Include Live Query Statistics" is ON and "waiting for query plan" is displayed in the live query statistics window (i.e. before the query plan is delivered) causes SSMS to stop responding and requires it being killed in the task manager. Normally this isn't an issue as you just don't cancel it before the query plan is returned, but sometimes that takes a long time, and in that scenario if you want to cancel the query you have no options other than killing SSMS.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. SSMS 18.1 throwing errors on startup with UI elements missing

Since I upgraded Windows to the May 2019 (1903) release, SQL Server Management Studio 18.1 has been throwing errors on startup. When I launch it with the -log option, I get a few hundred errors reported like:

<type>Error</type>
    <source>VisualStudio</source>
    <description>Loading UI library</description>
    <guid>{198E76C1-34C0-424D-9957-B3EBD80265FB}</guid>
    <hr>800a006f</hr>
    <type>Error</type>
    <description>Error loading UI library for package (null).HrLoadNativeUILibrary failed with 0x800a006f.</description>
    <type>Error</type>
    <description>LegacySitePackage failed for package [Management Studio Update Checker]Source: ...</description>
    <guid>{A370BC08-51DD-4F09-8386-8F31E8704796}</guid>
    <hr>80131534</hr>
    <type>Error</type>
    <description>SetSite failed for package [Management Studio Update Checker](null)</description>
    <guid>{A370BC08-51DD-4F09-8386-8F31E8704796}</guid>
    <hr>80131534</hr>

When SSMS finally loads, my list of databases previously accessed is gone, and there are UI…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Foreign Key Reference Check operator - false report

I have a database with a table "note" which has more then 253 incoming references.
    Every entry of the "node" table is references only 1 time.
    Some of those references are coming from a table "doc", some from a table "docPos" and some from other tables.
    The "docPos" has a reference on "doc" which is defined as cascading delete, so if a doc is deleted, all it's position are deleted too.
    Now I tryed to delete a "doc" and a referenced "node" like this:
    BEGIN TRAN T1
    DELETE FROM doc WHERE id=1
    DELETE FROM note WHERE id=1
    COMMIT TRAN T1

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. ERROR

Error attemp where try move table from left to right query by mouse.
    This log.
    <record>292</record>
    <time>2019/07/17 09:41:32.591</time>
    <type>Error</type>
    <source>Editor or Editor Extension</source>
    <description>System.ObjectDisposedException: &#x0414;&#x043E;&#x0441;&#x0442;&#x0443;&#x043F; &#x043A; &#x0437;&#x0430;&#x043A;&#x0440;&#x044B;&#x0442;&#x043E;&#x043C;&#x0443; &#x043F;&#x043E;&#x0442;&#x043E;&#x043A;&#x0443; &#x043D;&#x0435;&#x0432;&#x043E;&#x0437;&#x043C;&#x043E;&#x0436;&#x0435;&#x043D;.&#x000D;&#x000A; &#x0432; System.IO.__Error.StreamIsClosed()&#x000D;&#x000A; &#x0432; System.IO.MemoryStream.get_Length()&#x000D;&#x000A; &#x0432; System.Windows.Forms.DataObject.SaveStreamToHandle(IntPtr&amp; handle, Stream stream)&#x000D;&#x000A; &#x0432; System.Windows.Forms.DataObject.SaveDataToHandle(Object data, String format, STGMEDIUM&amp; medium)&#x000D;&#x000A; &#x0432; System.Windows.Forms.DataObject.GetDataIntoOleStructs(FORMATETC&amp; formatetc, STGMEDIUM&amp; medium)&#x000D;&#x000A; &#x0432; System.Windows.Forms.DataObject.System.Runtime.InteropServices.ComTypes.IDataObject.GetDataHere(FORMATETC&amp; formatetc, STGMEDIUM&amp; medium)&#x000D;&#x000A; &#x0432; System.Windows.Forms.DataObject.System.Runtime.InteropServices.ComTypes.IDataObject.GetData(FORMATETC&amp; formatetc, STGMEDIUM&amp; medium)&#x000D;&#x000A; &#x0432; System.Windows.DataObject.OleConverter.GetDataInner(FORMATETC&amp; formatetc, STGMEDIUM&amp; medium)&#x000D;&#x000A; &#x0432; System.Windows.DataObject.OleConverter.GetDataFromOleHGLOBAL(String format, DVASPECT aspect, Int32 index)&#x000D;&#x000A; &#x0432; System.Windows.DataObject.OleConverter.GetDataFromBoundOleDataObject(String format, DVASPECT aspect, Int32 index)&#x000D;&#x000A; &#x0432; System.Windows.DataObject.OleConverter.GetData(String format, Boolean autoConvert, DVASPECT aspect, Int32 index)&#x000D;&#x000A; &#x0432; System.Windows.DataObject.OleConverter.GetData(String format, Boolean autoConvert)&#x000D;&#x000A; &#x0432; System.Windows.DataObject.GetData(String format, Boolean autoConvert)&#x000D;&#x000A; &#x0432; System.Windows.DataObject.GetData(String…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. SQL Server 2019 issue with sp_execute_external_script

I've just installed SQL Server 2019 CTP 3.0 with R Services and enable the sp_execute_external_script and after restarting my machine I ran the following simple code in SSMS just to test it:

EXEC sp_execute_external_script
    @language = N'R'
    , @script = N'cat("Hello world")'
    GO

And the result was the expected:

STDOUT message(s) from external script:
    NULL
    Hello world
    Now, when I tried to run again there's no more result. Just a simple:

Commands completed successfully.

And no matter what I change in the code it won't work again until I restart my computer but only for the first run.

I think…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. sqlcmd for linux: -H switch described in command line help as "hostname": change to "workstation name"

I found and ran sqlcmd for linux. I looked at the command-line help, which said -H for hostname. As such, I found how to specify the host to connect to, right?

Nope, that's the option for "tell the server my workstation name is...".

All other documentation says "workstation name" for this switch. Could we make the command line help banner say the same please?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Resumable Online Index - sys.dm_db_database_page_allocations report database corruption

sys.dm_db_database_page_allocations reports following error message when executed with detailed mode after executing index pause.

Msg 824, Level 24, State 2, Line 1
    SQL Server detected a logical consistency-based I/O error: incorrect pageid (expected 1:457714; actual 0:0). It occurred during a read of page (1:457714) in database ID 6 at offset 0x000000df7e4000 in file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\test.mdf'. Additional messages in the SQL Server error log or operating system error log may provide more detail. This is a severe error condition that threatens database integrity and must be corrected immediately. Complete a full database consistency check (DBCC CHECKDB). This error can…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 251 252
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Feedback and Knowledge Base