SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Resumable Online Index - sys.dm_db_database_page_allocations report database corruption

sys.dm_db_database_page_allocations reports following error message when executed with detailed mode after executing index pause.

Msg 824, Level 24, State 2, Line 1
    SQL Server detected a logical consistency-based I/O error: incorrect pageid (expected 1:457714; actual 0:0). It occurred during a read of page (1:457714) in database ID 6 at offset 0x000000df7e4000 in file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\test.mdf'. Additional messages in the SQL Server error log or operating system error log may provide more detail. This is a severe error condition that threatens database integrity and must be corrected immediately. Complete a full database consistency check (DBCC CHECKDB). This error can…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Resumable Online Index - sys.dm_db_database_page_allocations report database corruption

sys.dm_db_database_page_allocations reports following error message when executed with detailed mode after executing index pause.

SQL Server detected a logical consistency-based I/O error: incorrect pageid (expected 1:457714; actual 0:0). It occurred during a read of page (1:457714) in database ID 6 at offset 0x000000df7e4000 in file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\test.mdf'. Additional messages in the SQL Server error log or operating system error log may provide more detail. This is a severe error condition that threatens database integrity and must be corrected immediately. Complete a full database consistency check (DBCC CHECKDB). This error can…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Resumable Online Index - sys.dm_db_database_page_allocations report database corruption

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Cannot open database diagram after restart computer

When I make a new diagram for an existed database. It is OK.
    After I close the diagram, and re-open it. It is OK too.
    After that I close SSMS 18.1, shutdown the computer.
    When I turn on the computer, open SSMS, and re-open the diagram.
    It cannot be opened, then SSMS restart automatically, and start the new session.
    How can I open the diagram which I designed on my last session of SSMS 18.1?
    Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. ssms 18.x bug/issues impossible to configure "extended events", the list of events remains desperately empty.

ssms 18.x bug/issue impossible to configure "extended events", the list of events remains desperately empty.

Since I installed ssms 18.x, I have trouble when I want to create a new extended session, following theses steps "management->Extended Event->Sessions" click right on "new session." When the dialog box is open, I click on "events." and the list of events remains desperately empty.
    I made a screenshot see below.
    I already tried to uninstall and install again(with a reboot).
    I tried to re-install the french edition with the same issues.

ps:I have same issues on several laptops and desktops

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. SQL Server Management Studio 18 Interface UI Issue

I have downloaded and Installed SSMS 18 and getting some Interface UI issues which i have linked below:

Please provide solution or fix this bug it's annoying and happens every time there are more interface UI Issues facing while using SSMS 18.

https://ibb.co/SxJd9h6
    https://ibb.co/m5DSjr6

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Query execution plan icons incorrect for Lookups

The icons for a Key Lookup and RID Lookup are reversed. The latter shows the icon for a clustered index (parentheses around the leaf pages of an index tree) with a looking glass. The former shows an arrow pointing to spot on a page (the RID). Script to illustrate this is attached.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. SSMS v18.1 Tabular Database Connections

SSMS v18.1 Tabular Database Connection not showing 'Refresh Credentials' in the dropdown.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. SSMS 17.9.1 AAG backup preferences bug

SSMS 17.9.1 has a bug where when you try to change the backup preferences for an AAG using the UI nothing actually changes in the database. I was able to successfully update the value using a sql script instead of the UI.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. SQL Server Management Studio v18.1 does not show all azure sql databases

I have a Azure SQL Server in Azure with 2 database. When I connect to the SQL Server with SQL Server Management Studio v18.1 I only see 1 of the databases.

SQL Server 2016 Management Studio:
    Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 13.0.15600.2
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 13.0.1605.86
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 10.0.17134.1
    Microsoft MSXML 3.0 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.11.17134.0
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.30319.42000
    Operating System 6.3.17134

SQL Server Management Studio v18.1

SQL Server Management Studio 15.0.18131.0
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 15.0.1347.0
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 10.0.17134.1
    Microsoft MSXML 3.0 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.11.17134.0
    Microsoft…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. SSMS 18.1 menu "Open -> Analysis Services Database..." not working

I did not know that SSMS 18.1 (not sure if is a new feature in this release) had the menu "Open -> Analysis Services Database...". I have been using this feature in Visual Studio since SSAS 2005.

Well, this menu is not working. It does not open the Analysis Services Database, it shows a message that is reading the database, but then nothing happens.

Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. STRING_AGG should support uniqueidentifier columns

According to the documentation on STRING_AGG (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/t-sql/functions/string-agg-transact-sql?view=sql-server-2017), expression can be of any type. It also states Non-string types are converted to NVARCHAR type. The documentation on type conversion (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/t-sql/data-types/data-type-conversion-database-engine?view=sql-server-2017) shows that a uniqueidentifier can be implicitly converted to a varchar or an nvarchar. Based on that, the following should work fine:

DECLARE @table TABLE (
    derp uniqueidentifier
    )

insert into @table Values (newid()),(newid()),(newid())

select STRING_AGG(derp, ',')
    from @table

However, it instead throws an error when you run it:
    Msg 8116, Level 16, State 1, Line 9
    Argument data type uniqueidentifier is invalid for argument 1 of…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Issue with 18.1 throwing exception error. "An exception has been encountered. This may be caused by an extension."

Issue with 18.1 throwing exception error. "An exception has been encountered. This may be caused by an extension."

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Make YOUR OWN HELP/Document links (from your own error messages) WORK AGAIN!

I just had an error occur while trying to RESTORE a database:

"System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: A file activation error occurred. The physical file name 'E:NOP_4_2.mdf' may be incorrect. Diagnose and correct additional errors, and retry the operation. (Microsoft.SqlServer.SmoExtended)
    ------------------------------
    For help, click: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=15.0.18131.0+((SSMS_Rel).190606-1032)&LinkId=20476
    "
    Go ahead, and copy/click the copied article link from the error message...I'll wait...

What? no "helpful technical information" was found - only advertising offering to sell me a nice new Surface PC and similar ads? NO error message about the help system advising to send me to an updated link either? huh.

It's almost like Microsoft is telling…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. SSMS18.1 shows an error when you insert or update rows form the "Edit Top 200 rows" feature if the target table has a column named "send".

Repro Step:

create table Test1 (
    [uid] int primary key IDENTITY (1, 1) not null ,
    [send] numeric Default('') not null ,
    );

Then Object Explorer -> Select "Test1" table created above -> [Edit Top 200 Rows] -> input any date into the Test1 table.

You see the error popup window with the below message.

------------------------------------------
    No row was updated.

The data in row 5 was not committed.
    Error Source: .Net SqlClient Data Provider.
    Error Message: Error converting data type varchar to numeric.

Correct the errors and retry or press ESC to cancel the change(s).
    ------------------------------------------

This error is caused…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. we have a Multi-Subnet Always-on Availability Group setup with 4 nodes(2 nodes in datacenter A and 2 nodes in datacenter B), running on SQL

we have a Multi-Subnet Always-on Availability Group setup with 4 nodes(2 nodes in datacenter A and 2 nodes in datacenter B), running on SQL Server 2014 SP2 and os (windows 2012 R2). frequently the databases on secondary nodes are going to not synchronization state. The only solution we find to fix this sync issue is either reboot the primary node or all nodes in AG.

Do you have any idea or suggestion?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. SSMS 18.1 falha ao abrir designer

SSMS 18.1 falha ao abrir designer, quando solicitado criar novo modelo funciona, mais quando solicitado para abrir um modelo o ssms falha e é fechado

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. SSMS 18.1 Editor not updating file display when switching tabs

When multiple SQL files are open in separate tabs within a pane, the editor doesn't change to show the new file if you switch between tabs multiple times. You often have to do a Select All command in the editor to properly display the contents of the selected tab.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Offset/Fetch clause allows for 0 row fetch when offset is constant 0

If you have a query
    select *
    from T
    order by 1
    offset 0 rows only
    fetch next 0 rows only

It will return this error:
    The number of rows provided for a FETCH clause must be greater then zero.

However, if the number of rows is a variable set to 0, and the offset is a constant that evaluates to 0 then the query will succeed.
    See fiddle:
    https://dbfiddle.uk/?rdbms=sqlserver_2017&fiddle=6bf5327d3731bedf11761762c26a88cb

I believe this is because if it is constant 0, SQL Server translates it to a TOP(N) query which does allow for 0.

This is a bug and should be…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Unable to Deploy SSRS Report Containing Pound (£) Sign

I'm working on a project where we had an unusual issue recently. An SSRS report published to a development server directly from Visual Studio without any errors. But on publishing the same report to a test server it failed. To publish to test we use a PowerShell script that uses the ReportingService2010 web service - this is because in test and production, the reports have to be uploaded to specific folders, which can't be configured within Visual Studio.
    The error message returned by the web service indicated that the report XML contained an invalid character, so I opened up the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 250 251
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Feedback and Knowledge Base