SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Azure SQL Database Deployment task using DACPAC fails if deploying full-text catalog/index with /p:IncludeTransactionalScripts=False

When using the "Azure SQL Database Deployment" task and deploying a DACPAC file that contains a full-text-index, and the deployment uses the /p:IncludeTransactionalScripts=True parameter, the deployment fails. I assume with this parameter the full-text catalog/index is created after everything else, which would explain the error. This SO question/answer mentions the same: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48204621/deploy-a-dacpac-that-contains-a-fulltext-index-with-msdeploy

The error I get is:

Error SQL72014: .Net SqlClient Data Provider: Msg 7601, Level 16, State 2, Procedure <name of stored procedure>, Line 8 Cannot use a CONTAINS or FREETEXT predicate on table or indexed view '<name of table>' because it is not full-text indexed.
    Error SQL72045: Script…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Sql Server management studio An internal error occurred. (mscorlib)

When ever I try to open a query or select rows from a table i face the error below.

An internal error occurred. Please contact Microsoft Support. (mscorlib)

Program Location:

at Microsoft.Assumes.Fail(String message, Boolean showAssert)
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.Common.GetComponentModelOnUIThread(IServiceProvider serviceProvider)
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.TextDocData.SetSite(Object pUnkSite)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ShellTextBuffer.SetSite(Object serviceProvider)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ShellTextEditorControl.CreateAndInitTextBuffer(Object sp)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.ScriptEditorControl.Initialize(Object sp)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.ScriptAndResultsEditorControl.Initialize(Object sp)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.SqlScriptEditorControl.Initialize(Object sp, String moniker)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.SqlScriptEditorControl.CreateInstance(Object serviceProvider, Boolean withEncoding, String moniker)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.EditorFactorySql.CreateEditorInstance(IServiceProvider serviceProvider, Boolean storeActiveConnIfNeeded, String moniker)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.EditorFactoryBase.Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsEditorFactory.CreateEditorInstance(UInt32 createFlags, String moniker, String physicalView, IVsHierarchy hierarchy, UInt32 itemId, IntPtr existingDocData, IntPtr& docViewIntPtr, IntPtr& docDataIntPtr, String& caption, Guid& cmdUIGuid, Int32& result)
    at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo) …

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Internal error "An unexpected error occurred (file ‘xmvsquert.cpp’ line 14408, function XMVSAliasVector::Bind "

We are facing severe issues querying a tabular model under RLS

Scenario:
    • On-prem SSAS 2017 CU20
    • Tabular model compatibility 1400
    • Pure star schema
    • RLS expressions to filter 5 dimension table
    • No RLS directly defined against fact tables
    • RLS uses a security table to lookup if the current user has access to a given row sing CONTAINS

Issue:
    • Unexpected error randomly appears querying the model
    • The error is “An unexpected error occurred (file ‘xmvsquert.cpp’ line 14408, function XMVSAliasVector::Bind ”
    • The error appears while querying fact table even with simple COUNTROWS(<table>) if the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Make it work

SQL Server. It might be a good idea - to make it work. Currently; when installed - you can't connect. FW disabled; still cannot make a connection. Now .. why not; when I install SQL server; you know "SERVER" ... make the connection WORK. It is VERY annoying to have to research the error numbers; to find the 20 options that might fix YOUR problem - that I have to live with, and fix EVERY TIME I install SQL. Yes, this is a 'bug'; it doesn't work; and I have to disable (safety) features to get it working, as I'm…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Shrink file via SSMS shows incorrect space used

Shrink file via SSMS shows incorrect space used
    Currently using 18.5.1, connecting to 2019 Standard.
    For some database files, I consistently get 99% free space listed, which I know is not true. I think it might be related to the fact that some have compressed tables.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. SSMS Ctrl-F first press always opens Find In Files for a "SQL Query Editor" file, regardless of keyboard mapping

If I open a SQL file in SSMS and press CTRL-F, the Find In Files dialog opens. If I close that and press CTRL-F again, the Quick Find window opens.

I want CTRL-F to always open Quick Find. This works fine in SSMS for non-SQL file types. I've tried forcing the keyboard mapping for CTRL-F both on Global and SQL Query Editor and I can't fix this behaviour. It's been the same since at least SSMS 2016, and I just upgraded to 2018 but it's still there :-(

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. SSMS Query Results Grid: Widening First Column Shrinks Results by One row when Results contain 1 or 2 rows

In many scenarios when multiple queries are executed, and one of the queries has results containing 2 or less rows, and first column text is wide enough that column is narrowed to show partial text with ellipses:
    When user double clicks column border to widen column, the grid reduces height by one row.

So if there was only one row to start with that row is (mostly) collapsed.

Expected behavior: Grid height does not change unless user specifically drags the bottom of grid to make taller or shorter.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. ssms 18.5.1 Specify Values for Template Parameters... (CTRL-SHFT-M)

ssms 18.5.1 Specify Values for Template Parameters... (CTRL-SHFT-M) stll does not place the cursor correctly when pressing CTRL-SHFT-M. As a frequent used feature, this is cause issue when an expected action does not occur and cause delays and issues with designed scripts.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Unresolved reference not being caught when joining temp tables (SQL71561)

When building a SSDT SQL Server Database Project project in Visual Studio 2019,

The error SQL71561 is expected to raise when there is an unresolved reference in the schema. This is not happening in situations like this:

Given a table called Asset in the schema Asset:

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[GetMix] AS BEGIN
    SELECT a.Id

INTO #OpenTrades

FROM Asset.Asset a

UPDATE ot

SET ot.Id = pcf.VariableNotCheckedHere
    FROM #OpenTrades ot
    INNER JOIN Asset.Asset pcf

ON    ot.FromCurrencyId = pcf.AlsoNotCheckedHere

END
    the references VariableNotCheckedHere and AlsoNotCheckedHere do not belong to the Asset.Asset table. Therefore the SQL71561 should be raised

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. SSRS 2017 unable to connect after using double quotes in password

SSRS shows error "Unable to connect to data source" for dataset when double quotes are used in password.

Steps:
    1) Create SQL server account:

USE [master]
    GO
    CREATE LOGIN [Reportxs] WITH PASSWORD=N'Rpt"123', DEFAULTDATABASE=[SomeDB], CHECKEXPIRATION=OFF, CHECKPOLICY=ON
    GO
    USE [SomeDB]
    GO
    CREATE USER [Reportxs] FOR LOGIN [Reportxs]
    GO
    USE [SomeDB]
    GO
    ALTER ROLE [dbdatareader] ADD MEMBER [Reportxs]
    GO

2) Create new project Report Server project using Report Wizard
    3) Create new Datasource with SQL Server Authentication, Username = Report_xs and password =Test"123
    4) Tick "Save my password"
    5) Select your database
    6) Click on…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Reg temp table drop

I have added one drop condition for #temptable inside the if condition in store procedure. But not create #temptable any where still it is allowed to alter store procedure .

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. When we drop any physical table then need to give message " Table used in X procedure we can drop the same?"

When we drop any physical table then need to give message " Table used in X procedure, can you drop the same?"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Using SQL Azure: DateTime2 comparison on timestamp_utc for the fn_xe_telemetry_blob_target_read_file function does not seem to function corr

Using SQL Azure: DateTime2 comparison on the [timestamputc] file for the sys.fnxetelemetryblobtargetread_file function does not seem to function correctly.

If I query for data in the current century, nothing is returned - I only get data when I ask for data in the distant past.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. SSMS 18.5 - Solution Explorer shows nothing

SSMS 18.5 gets into a state wherein the Solution Explorer panel shows nothing, both in the title bar and client area. Attached is a screenshot of the upper righthand corner of SSMS, where I have it docked with auto-hide. When I click to open it, nothing shows when it opens. Right-clicking on the tab, and then choosing "Solution Explorer - Folder View", renders the same outcome.

SQL Server Management Studio 15.0.18330.0
    SQL Server Management Objects (SMO) 16.100.37971.0
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 15.0.19040.0
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 10.0.14393.0
    Microsoft MSXML 3.0 6.0
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.30319.42000
    Operating System 10.0.14393

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Migrate 2017 SSIS catalog database to new SQL server 2019 Failed

I move a SSIS database and other user databases from SQL server 2017 to a new server 2019.

Other databases work fine. SSISDB does not work as expected.

I restored the SSIS database and master key, successfully.

But When I try to run database upgrade from SSMS by right click SSISDB -- Database upgrade I got an error:

The system cannot find the file specified (System)

Then I tried from the wizard directory on the file system

D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\150\DTS\Binn\ISDBUpgradeWizard,

TITLE: SQL Server Integration Services

The version of the sql server instance (15.0.4043.16) doesn't match with the version of…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. MDS in SQL Server 2019 (CU 4): Bug with recursive derived parent child hierarchy

Recursive parent child hierarchies are not correctly displayed in SQL Server 2019 MDS (CU4). All memebers appear on the first level. Some are on the first level and repeated below their parent.

Example:

cf. Entity.png

With hierarchy:

c.f. HierarchyDefinition.png

or in explorer:

c.f ExplorerView.png

Choices for "Anchor null relationship" do not make a difference

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Microsoft Sql Server Report Builder has stopped working

Report Builder (14.0.1016.246) crashed on startup due to a corrupted user.config file. The error message was a crash report and did not provide any useful information.

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
    Problem Signature 01: MSReportBuilder.exe
    Problem Signature 02: 14.0.1016.246
    Problem Signature 03: 5a84b725
    Problem Signature 04: System.Xml
    Problem Signature 05: 4.7.3394.0
    Problem Signature 06: 5c537264
    Problem Signature 07: b85
    Problem Signature 08: 27
    Problem Signature 09: System.Xml.XmlException
    OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.272.7
    Locale ID: 1033

The issue was that the original user.config was corrupted and only half there. I removed the user.config and everything start up again normal.

File location: C:\Users(username)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Report…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. SSMS 18.5.1 errors trying to open DAX query on PBI XMLA endpoint

If you connect to Power BI XMLA endpoint with SSMS 18.5.1 and click to create a new DAX query, you get the error message below. This worked fine on 18.5.

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

Object reference not set to an instance of an object. ( at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Editor.Implementation.WpfTextView.UnsubscribeFromEvents()
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Editor.Implementation.WpfTextView.Close()
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Editor.Implementation.WpfTextViewHost.Close()
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.SimpleTextViewWindow.CloseExistingWpfTextView()
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.SimpleTextViewWindow.CloseBufferRelatedResources()
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.SimpleTextViewWindow.CloseView()
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.CompoundTextViewWindow.Close()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ShellCodeWindowControl.UnsinkEventsAndFreeInterfaces()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ShellTextEditorControl.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
    at System.ComponentModel.Component.Dispose()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.ScriptEditorControl.Dispose(Boolean bDisposing)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.ScriptAndResultsEditorControl.Dispose(Boolean bDisposing)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.MdxScriptEditorControl.Dispose(Boolean bDisposing)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ShellWindowPaneUserControl.OnWindowPaneClose()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ShellWindowPaneUserControl.ClosePane()
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowPaneDocumentObject.<>cDisplayClass19_0.<DisposeManagedResources>b0()
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ErrorHandler.CallWithCOMConvention(Action method, Boolean reportError))

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Ssms.exe.config missing binding redirect

Currently using ssms v 18.5.1. There is a binding redirect for one of the VS Shell assemblies missing which causes extensions referencing older versions to fail.

Ex: https://github.com/TaoK/PoorMansTSqlFormatter/issues/234

The missing redirect (taken from devenv.exe.config of VS 2019 16.6):
    <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.12.0" publicKeyToken="b03f5f7f11d50a3a" culture="neutral"/>
    <bindingRedirect oldVersion="2.0.0.0-15.0.0.0" newVersion="15.0.0.0"/>
    </dependentAssembly>

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. SQL 2019 returns different results for the same query, depending on the query plan used

Attached is an Execution Plan containing 4 SELECTs. The first and last SELECT are identical - one is embedded in a stored procedure and the other is the identical query executed outside of the procedure (ignore the 2nd & 3rd SELECT in the attached - they are also included in the procedure and are incidental to describing this bug). The first & last identical SELECTS have different execution plans, which is OK, however these identical SELECTS with identical parameters assign DIFFERENT results to the @strDepartmentSplit variable (which is NOT OK).
    The first execution plan returns the expected result and behaves…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 266 267
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base