Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Microsoft Q&A or Stack Overflow

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SQL Server 2017 onward feature needs to look for SSRS

We cannot have multiple SSRS services Starting SQL 2017 which will increase cost. Please look into it.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add version number to SSMS installer file, ie SSMS-Setup-ENU-18-9-2.exe

It would be a lot easier to keep track of downloaded installer files if they explicitly stated the SSMS version number. Translating from the build number in File | Properties | Details is a somewhat convoluted way, as is renaming the file by hand after every download.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Having trouble installing Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio with Azure Data Studio

I'm trying to install Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio with Azure Data Studio, release 18.9.1 on my desktop. It gets stuck at the "loading packages, please wait" window and I have to close via Task Manager.
    Advice please.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. How to connect iSCSI LUNs to a SQL container?

The SQL containers will need access to storage devices (SAN)
    Please show how to connect.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. I've got a problem with set up

I wish everyone healthy days. An update came to SQL Server Management Studio on my computer with SQL installed. 18.9.1 version. Since I was about to start a new study, I pressed the update button to avoid any problems later. It directed me to its page. I downloaded the file. I ran the downloaded exe file and it prompted me to close the open SQL. I tried to close it and install it again. It warned me to uninstall if there is another SQL installed this time. I also removed it. I tried to install it again, although I waited…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. have updates work the same way they work in VS Code

every time that there is an update to this tool you have to manually go to a webpage, then download the update, then manually install the new version. VS Code for example updates itself without a separate agent like Visual Studio.

Would be possible to have SSMS to update the same way that VS Code does?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Incorrect Setup file

I do have SSMS V17 and upon downloading the updates from re-directed link, It is still asking to update and About still shows the V17 instead of V18. I have installed the Setup Exe till success message.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Power BI Report Server Licensing

SQL Managed Instance is a great way to move to PaaS for the database engine. It is great for lift and shift from on premise. One drawback is that it leaves the customer without an affordable reporting service. Power BI Services are tied to an Office 365 tenant which does not work for public facing standalone applications that sit in Azure. Power BI Report Server works great on a VM. However, the licensing model is terrible. To use Power BI Report Server, you must purchase the entire SQL Server product again. You would need to pay for managed instance and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Updating SSMS should be seamlessly

Updating SSMS should be seamlessly, from inside SSMS itself, like Visual Studio 2019 does.

when SSMS suggest there is a new update, it points you to a web to download and install an installer. But this installer seams to not recognize that SSMS is already installed so it should only patch, instead of reinstall everything.

I think all the process of updating should copy Visual Studio approach.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. RGB datatype

Please add a new datatype to mssql: RGB, to represent color.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Cannot install SQL server 2019

I am trying to install SQL server 2019 after downloading exe and it complains about file being not latest / installaer not valid

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow creating an Azure SQL server with only AD users

When I create an SQL Server in Azure, I have to create an administrator account with a simple username and password. Please make it possible to create a SQL server that only has Azure AD users, and no simple password users.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Please add sqlpackage as a supported docker image for CI/CD pipelines

It would be nice if I could have a predefined supported sqlpackage docker image just like you have for the mssql/tools where I could take that image and utilize in my build pipelines.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Serverless startup times

For serverless applications --
    Needs MUCH faster startup times, or tools to diagnose/identity slow connection times when triggered from a cold serverless function/app start.
    The ability to parallel query a "is it running check" very early, ideally concurrently with the serverless host-os container being warmed up. (So the database is online by the time the function loads)

Also the ability to idle the server out faster than 1 hour (10 minutes of inactivity).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Installing sqlserver ODBC driver on mac and use sqldb in VS code(python)

Hi
    I am a newbie to Azure (i installed ubuntu16 VM on it and a basic sqldataase and sqlserver.) .I want to connect to MS Sql Server/sqldb on VM via ODBC with VS Code using Python(i have successfully pip installed pyodbc) running on my Mac.
    My local machine is running MacOSX Catalina 10.15

I am having a really tough time making the ODBC install work. It is taking me down the rabbit hole of installing apt-get , apt-key etc. Can't see how to follow these instructions:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/connect/odbc/linux-mac/installing-the-microsoft-odbc-driver-for-sql-server?view=sql-server-ver15#ubuntu17
    and
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sql-server/developer-get-started/python/ubuntu

================
    on sqldb i created EMP and other tables. I am…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Support Distributed Availability Groups with Distributed Network Names

Instead of needing an ILB for AGs and FCIs, IaaS-based SQL Server deployments in Azure now support the use of a Distributed Network Name (DNN) for FCIs or an AG's listener. This makes deployment a little easier.

However, if you have Enterprise Edition, are using FCIs or AG listeners with DNNs instead of traditional network name resources, you cannot currently deploy a distributed AG. That requires an ILB.

Microsoft should build the right plumbing into DNNs to support distributed AGs as it is an important disaster recovery and migration feature.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add Readonly fields to reduce Joins

If it is possible to define "read-only fields" in the table that are "related to another table", we can have less Join commands and the Select command will be much faster.
    I always simulated this with a trigger, but if it is added to SQL Server I think it will add power and performance.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 28 29
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base