SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. API to export DB should not require admin credentials

With database export in Powershell (or via the REST API), we have to specify admin credentials to perform the operation. But, if I'm logged in, with the same user, in SSMS, I can export without any additional credentials. If I can export a DB in SSMS, I should logically be able to do the same via a Powershell command.

New-AzSqlDatabaseExport and, thus,

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. TLS 1.2 support for SQL Server 2014 SP3 CU4

We are planning to upgrade our customers to SQL Server 2014 SP3 CU4 with TLS 1.2. As per MS documentation, TLS 1.2 is supported for SQL Server 2014 from SP1 CU5 onwards. Now when we verify with SP3 CU4, SSRS is not working but it is working with SP3 only. As per our understanding CUs are latest and including all the features implemented in the base SPs (SP3 with CU4). What surprise us is that the feature is supported in SP3 but not in SP3 CU4.

Note: we opened a ticked with MS and received reply that TLS 1.2 is…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Right-click on Object Explorer takes ages to display context menu.

Host a big SQL Database in a EC2 instance on AWS. When I say big, I am saying 15TB ish.

Connect through your computer and open the object explorer.
    Let's say you have 100+ tables, 100+ procedures and so on.

Expand a table, expand triggers and then right-click in a trigger to display the context menu where you can modify, refresh, get a script and so on.

The context menu takes minutes and sometimes crash SSMS 18.2.

In small databases it does not happen. I will move to VSCode to test.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. SSMS Find and Replace "Look In" values change without user input

RE. Find and Replace "Look In" drop-down:
    Desired behaviors:
    * Default to "Current Document"
    * Retain selected option until dialog is closed & reopened -- do not change "Look In" without user input.

Current behaviors:
    In both SSMS 17.9.1 (14.0.17289.0) and 18.2 (15.0.18142.0), the Find and Replace dialog defaults "Look in:" to "All Open Documents". I would suggest the default should be "Current Document" (which I believe was the default in older versions)
    Much more dangerously, even after changing the default to another option, "Look In" reverts to "All Open Documents", which can cause unintended, undesirable, & unknown changes to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Error 9003 Log Scan is Invalid Error When Restoring Transaction Log After Applying SP2

We are using SQL 2016 Enterprise Edition and have recently applied SP2 + CU8. We were previously on SP1 + CU6. Since the update we are getting the following error when restoring transaction logs on our DR server. The transaction logs were taken on the secondary server of an AlwaysOn Availability Group.

The log scan number (20913:512:1) passed to log scan in database '' is not valid. This error may indicate data corruption or that the log file (.ldf) does not match the data file (.mdf). If this error occurred during replication, re-create the publication. Otherwise, restore from backup if…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. SQL Server 2017 on Ubuntu Linux - Agent History size - unable to configure

Hello,

Steps from this document:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssms/agent/resize-the-job-history-log?view=sql-server-2017

Do not work on SQL Server 2017 on Linux and result in error below:

USE [msdb]
    GO
    EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_set_sqlagent_properties @email_save_in_sent_folder=1,
    @databasemail_profile=N''
    GO
    USE [msdb]
    GO
    EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_set_sqlagent_properties @jobhistory_max_rows=10000,
    @email_save_in_sent_folder=1,
    @databasemail_profile=N''

Msg 0, Level 11, State 0, Line 2
    A severe error occurred on the current command. The results, if any, should be discarded.
    Msg 0, Level 11, State 0, Line 7
    A severe error occurred on the current command. The results, if any, should be discarded.

SQL Server version:

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 (RTM-CU14) (KB4484710) - 14.0.3076.1 (X64) Mar 12 2019 19:29:19 Copyright (C)…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. One Line Command for Log Shipping Role Switch

I am thinking of a one line command for performing a switchover or failover in a Transaction Log Shipping configuration. This may entail a syntax that allows you specify the directory holding all the backed up transaction logs on as well as the partners - primary and secondary servers/databases. Addition a restore point in time would be additionally awesome.

When we cannot use AlwaysOn for DR, this option could be a great tool.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. SSMS Completion Time

After installing SSMS 18.2, I have noticed that when I run the command sp_helptext 'stored_procedure_name' with the configuration "Results to Text' set, it always add the Completion Time text at the end.

I would like to suggest printing out this as a comment, so when I copy and paste the query into a new query, I don't need to delete or comment it out all the time.

For instance:
    -- Completion time: 2019-09-16T17:23:48.4080495+10:00

Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Interesting observation.

Due to feedback on this, in SSMS 18.3 we expect to have a way (in Tools | Options) to disable that line.

I’m curious to hear what other folks think about this suggestion… and then we can go from there (definitely adding a — prefix is trivial).

9. TokenAndPermUserStore grows for each sp_setapprole or EXECUTE AS USER

sp_setapprole & sp_unsetapprole or EXECUTE AS & REVERT cause TokenAndPermUserStore to grow to 2GB and performance to degrade when run in a loop (simulating a connection pool that performs these when getting or returning a connection)

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldatabaseengine/thread/19e17e27-ee75-4e45-b8af-b53b5ceca93b

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. TokenAndPermUserStore grows for each sp_setapprole or EXECUTE AS USER

sp_setapprole & sp_unsetapprole or EXECUTE AS & REVERT cause TokenAndPermUserStore to grow to 2GB and performance to degrade when run in a loop (simulating a connection pool that performs these when getting or returning a connection)

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldatabaseengine/thread/19e17e27-ee75-4e45-b8af-b53b5ceca93b

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Please make SSMS 18+ to support high resolution screens

The table editor and diagrams look horrible. I have to manually expand each column so I can see its title.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Cross database queries without Dynamic SQL

Ability to declare multiple databases and utilize those variables without dynamic SQL

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. SSMS 18.2 Pressing Up Arrow key doesn't go to bottom of right-click menu

SSMS 18.2 Pressing Up Arrow key doesn't go to bottom of right-click menu

Right-click, Menu Key, and Shift + F10 in the Object Explorer will all open a menu, sometimes a very long menu.

In previous version of SSMS, pressing Up arrow went to the last menu item, same as in Explorer. Also, the Up arrow key could loop through the menu. This no longer works; Up and Down arrows both go to the first menu item. Down arrow key will loop from bottom to top of the menu, but Up arrow key will not loop from top to bottom.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Extended Events: How to hide true values in queries

Is it possible to hide statement values coming from ExtendedEvents event data?

For example:
    UPDATE Table1 SET Column1 = 'value' WHERE Column2 = 'value'
    should be shown as
    UPDATE Table1 SET Column1 = @1 WHERE Column2 = @2

This is possible in SQL Trace.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. How To Repair Exchange Database EDB File

Get easy to safe method to Repair and convert EDB file to PST file From Damage Exchange server database. Stella EDB to PST emails Recovery Software Easily remove to Exchange EDB file errors without any Data corruption. This Software 100% safely Export EDB file data to PST outlook formats like as HTML, EML, MSG, TXT and EMLX .Stella Exchange server Recovery software Working Offline and online mode without any issues .Download Stella Exchange Server EDB file Recovery Software.

https://www.stelladatarecovery.com/exchange-edb-to-pst.html

Read More:-https://stelladatarecovery.com/exchange-server-recovery/best-edb-to-pst-converter/

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. How i can recover my edb file data without any data loss by Stella EDB to PST Recovery

Recover and Convert .edb file to .pst file and other outlook Formats without any Data loss. Stella EDB to PST Converter Software Provide Great Solution For Recover EDB file Data .Download Stella EDB to PST converter software Free Demo version. And save 25 emails data. I hope you will get successful conversion

Read More:-https://stelladatarecovery.com/exchange-server-recovery/best-edb-to-pst-converter/

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. SQL server is crashed when trying to open the database diagram from remote

SQL server is crashed when trying to open the database diagram from remote

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Support computed column on computed computed columns

Please add support of the creation of computed columns referencing other computed columns. Currently, you have to repeat the logic of computed column in multiple places. So it is potentially can create inconsistencies.

If it is challenging to resolve the order of calculation in the engine, you can introduce a new attribute "SOLVE_ORDER" which would be by default = 1. And If you want to reference a computed column in another computed column it would use SOLVE_ORDER = 2.

Example:

CREATE TABLE Tab
    (
    a int
    , b int
    , c int
    , d as (a+b) PERSISTED
    , e as…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. ssms allow results in different window

Screen real estate is valuable. When I execute a query I would like to see the results in a different window So I can move it to a different screen.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Full text index under Linux broken (SQL Server 2019 rc 1)

This is a simple test case. It runs successfully under SQL Server 2016/Windows. A full text catalog called test must be created previously

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    drop table test_ft;
    go

CREATE TABLE [test_ft](
    id int NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [PK_test_ft] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED,
    name varchar(400) NOT NULL,
    )
    GO

--drop fulltext index on test_ft

create fulltext index on test_ft(name language 1033) key index PK_test_ft on test;
    go

insert into test_ft (id, name) values (1, 'simple test case')
    go

-- Shows the added row under SQL Server 2016. Nothing under SQL Server 2019 RC1/Linux
    select * from test_ft where contains(name, 'simple')

-- show show…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 490 491
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories