SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Dark Theme for SQL Server Management Studio 2017 (SSMS 2017)

Dark Theme works well in Visual Studio and should be included in SSMS. It helps reduce eye strain after long periods of development and debugging.

631 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

unplanned  ·  40 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add backup configuration to the setup process for SQL Server.

What I’m asking for (besides you to upvote that User Voice item) is for Microsoft, as part of SQL Server setup, to add two new screens. The first would be called “Backup”—it would offer a dire warning to the effect of:

In order to protect the data in your databases, Microsoft strongly encourages you to take backups of your data. In the event of hardware failure, data corruption, or malicious software, Microsoft support will be unable to help you recovery your data, and you will incur data loss. This box is checked by defaults to enable automatic daily backups of…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. CREATE OR ALTER is not fully supported in Transactional Replication DDL commands

We've been having trouble with some objects not replicating correctly after a DDL change.

When a published function or proc is altered, the following appears to happen:
    A database trigger is called: tr_MStran_alterschemaonly
    Which calls a proc called: sys.sp_MStran_ddlrepl - This proc will output debug IF MSrepl_debug_DDL exists (create anything called this!)
    which calls a function: master.sys.fn_replgetparsedddlcmd, which is designed to return the ddl after the object's name, to be used for generating the command to be applied 
    at the subscribers.

SQL Server BOL states that ALTER is supported (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/replication/publish/replicate-schema-changes?view=sql-server-2016)

However, this doesn't appear to be the case:

(13.0.4451.0):…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Dark Theme

Dark theme for SQL Server 2017 SSMS is missing.

212 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Dark theme leaves blank spots in query editor on resize

I have the dark theme enabled in SSMS 18, and when I resize the application window, or resize the results panel, huge chunks of my query editor get blacked-out. The text is still there, and the glitch goes away when I scroll around, but it's a pain, and it looks bad when I'm presenting my work.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Change the title of a report to be different from .rdl file name

If my RDL file is named Reportforseeingthings.rdl

Displayed the web portal report title as "Report for seeing things"

This would allow users to adhere to URL design best practices and give designers the ability to accomodate their clients naming pattern requests.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. SQL Server Management Studio 2018: bad icon

The icon for SQL Server Management Studio 2018 blends in with the default windows 10 start menu tile background. This does not look very good.
    The SSMS 2017 icon had a white outline around the little crossed tools, so that you could still see things regardless of the colour of the tile background

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Make SSDT Available for Linux as well

As of now, if we need to build the SQL Server project, we need the SSDT toolkit on a Windows machine to build the project. Is it possible to make it available for Linux as well so that we can build the SQL server project not only on Windows but on Linux as well?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Dark Theme in DevOps ignores color in textboxes

The Dark Theme for DevOps works nicely in general, but text in textboxes does not show font color/background color.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Color for defined variables

Currently defined variables "@Example" fall under the 'Identifer' category as far as custom colors in the text editor is concerned and I would like for them to be able to be distinguished. I am asking for them to be broken out as a different category so they can be customized (I basically want them to stand out so I can more easily see where they go without having to do a search for "@" etc.)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Adding Multi-column IN clause support by SQL Server

Currrently, SQL Server does not support multi-column IN clause. For example, the following query :
    Select * from tableA where (columnA, columnB) in select (columnX,columnY) from tableB
    will not run, failing by displaying the error :
    non-boolean type specified in a context where a condition is expected”

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. SQL Import and Export Wizard

I have been using SQL Server since it was born and the Import Wizard has consistently had issues with registrations of file types and transformations. In this day and age of AI, ML and exotic claims of smart technology I find it difficult to believe that this import "Wizard" still requires me to go through hoops to determine registration requirements and combinations and permutations of possible formatting issues. This has got to be one of the dumbest "Wizards" out there and maybe can get some loving and caring in the next release. Cheers Peter Molloy

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. UTF-8 in SQL 2019: Collation Precedence allows for silent truncation (data loss) implicitly converting Extended ASCII characters into UTF8

In SQL Server 2019 CTP 2.1, VARCHAR data being implicitly converted from a non-UTF-8 Collation into a UTF-8 Collation can be silently truncated when Extended ASCII characters in being used (i.e. characters with values between 128 and 255). Standard ASCII characters (values 0 - 127) are not affected since they are 1 byte whether they are in a UTF-8 Collation or not. But Extended ASCII characters (i.e. those that change per each Code Page) are never 1 byte: they are usually 2 bytes (and possibly 3, though I'm not sure about this and haven't tested all of them).

The problem…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. UTF-8 in SQL 2019: Collation Precedence allows for Unicode character data loss concatenating UTF8 with higher precedence non-UTF8 VARCHAR

In SQL Server 2019 CTP 2, if you have UTF-8 data and concatenate that with another VARCHAR value of a higher Collation Precedence, and having a non-UTF-8 Collation, the Code Page will change to that of the other Collation. And since a) that other Collation is a non-UTF-8 Collation, and b) the datatype is still VARCHAR, any characters that do not have a best-fit mapping in the destination Code Page will be converted into one or two "?"s (depending on if the character is BMP or Supplementary).

To be fair, this scenario already existed, to a degree, when doing similar…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Ability to upgrade SQL Server Management Studio directly from About menu

I think it will be really cool to update the management studio directly from the about menu when it is open and also it for checking for new versions and notify us.

Thanks in advance

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have a “Check for updates link” in the Tools menu today, and SSMS prompts you to upgrade when it detects a new version unless you have turned off auto-check for updates. We have no plans to further automate these updates. We are pushing more updates through WSUS for enterprise installations.

17. The Context Menu in the object explorer is incorrect.

When using a dark color theme, the context menu can not be read.
    Background and foreground colors are black.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. SQL Server Data Import and Export Wizard: When "Delete rows in destination table" is chosen, don't attempt to Truncate the table

When this option is chosen, the Import/Export Wizard actually does a Truncate on the selected table. This will fail when there are any foreign key constraints on the table, with the following error message.

Executing the query "TRUNCATE TABLE {table_name}
    " failed with the following error: "Cannot truncate table '{table_name}' because it is being referenced by a FOREIGN KEY constraint.".

There's a disconnect between what the UI says it will do (DELETE) vs. what actually happens (TRUNCATE).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. SQL Server Data Import and Export Wizard: Order of Tables

When using the Import/Export wizard to copy multiple tables from one DB to another, it would be great if SQL Server could intelligently determine the order to process the tables based on foreign key constraints.

With the current behavior I will often get foreign key constraint failures because data is loaded into a child table before the data is loaded into the parent table.

It should be possible to determine an optimal load order by using the foreign key constraints defined on the tables. If not, then it would be nice to be able to manually set the order.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Dark Theme in SSMS 2017

I am new here. Using SQL server for maybe 1 year and I am really sad because you don't have the dark theme... I hope you will be available it soon, thanks :)

i can do something like this: https://www.sqlshack.com/setting-up-the-dark-theme-in-sql-server-management-studio/, but it not as good as original :/

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 168 169
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Feedback and Knowledge Base