SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Unable to deploy SSIS packages from Visual Studio 2017 (15.8.0)

The latest version of Visual Studio 2017 (15.8.0) appears to have introduced a bug preventing deployment of SSIS project files.

When attempting to connect to a server the deployment wizard returns the following error:

TITLE: SQL Server Integration Services
    ------------------------------

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.IntegrationServicesEnum, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The parameter is incorrect. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070057 (E_INVALIDARG)) (mscorlib)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

The parameter is incorrect. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070057 (E_INVALIDARG)) (mscorlib)

BUTTONS:

OK

421 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

under review  ·  88 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow Updating Statistics on the Secondary Replicas of the Availability Groups

Allow remote (on the secondary replicas) statistics update for the Availability Groups. Given that a lot of time the secondary replicas have extra resources
    Potentially this could lead into spreading & parallelising the statistics recalculation processes while doing maintenance or potentially even ad-hoc.
    The original idea behind this is described in the following blogpost – http://www.nikoport.com/2019/06/20/updating-statistics-on-secondary-replicas-of-the-availability-groups/

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Run DBCC CHECKDB WITH PHYSICAL_ONLY automatically in the background

When RAID controllers are idle, they automatically check the storage to make sure it's still okay. Why not SQL Server too?

Some of the pieces are there – for example, SQL Server already has the ability to watch for idle CPU times and run Agent jobs when it’s bored. For starters, that’d probably be good enough to save a lot of small businesses from heartache. For the databases over, say, 100GB, it’d be really awesome to have resumable physical_only corruption checking – tracking which pages have been checked (just like how the differential bitmap tracks page changes), with page activity…

370 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Database Level Option For Storing Wait Stats

SQL Server 2016 introduced Query Store, and SQL Server 2017 CU3 brought us aggregated wait stats at the query level. This is great information for data driven DBAs who need to be able to track plan changes over time, etc.

With that in mind, an additional data collector for wait stats per database would be a great product feature, independent from Query Store data collection.

We all know the limitations of the wait stats DMVs now:

- They're cumulative over time
    - They're instance-wide
    - There's a lot of potential noise from wait types that aren't registered

If you wanna…

262 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add SSIS to the SQL Server Docker Image

I work for a large bank which it trying to move hundreds of SSIS packages into GitLab pipelines. This task would happen faster an easier with SSIS on the MS SQL Server Docker image.

99 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. develop a SSRS ReportViewer for ASP.NET Core

Develop a SSRS ReportViewer for ASP.NET Core

388 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  64 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. SSDT for Visual Studio 2017 - Include as part of the VS 2017 Installer

Can we please pass over the SSDT components to the Visual Studio team so this can be included as part of the Visual Studio 2017 installation process?

The VS team can then build out the installer in a way that SSDT is always compatible with their latest build and installer. We've been stuck with the break fix break fix loop with SSDT and incompatibility with VS upgrades for too long now. The SSDT team doesn't respond quickly enough, the latest example being SSDT 15.6/VS 2017 15.7.x installation issue, why are we waiting so long for an installer update?

174 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  8 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Explain why indexes were skipped

Feature request: expose information about what indexes the optimizer considered while compiling an execution plan. Specifically, the index names and WHY the index was rejected for that particular query. This could potentially be included in per-operator execution plan properties (see attached mockup), an extended event target, or some other avenue.

Reason: many developers and DBAs wonder why certain indexes on their tables aren't being chosen for specific queries. This gives them better tools to figure that out and make better use of the SQL Server product.

I've blogged about this feature request in more detail here: http://joshthecoder.com/2018/06/21/feature-request-index-rejection-reasons.html

This request was…

152 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. URGENT: "Feature Restrictions" actually increases chances of SQL Injection and must be removed immediately (before RTM)

The new "Feature Restrictions" feature that was introduced in CTP 3.2 of SQL Server 2019 is highly problematic. It is an ill-conceived feature that does _not_ prevent SQL Injection in any way. It doesn't mask user error messages (only system errors), and it prevents WAITFOR but not a WHILE loop that accomplishes the same delay. So this feature is absolutely useless.

Actually, it's worse than that because people will assume that this feature actually does prevent these things, which will give them a false sense of security.

This feature is not fixable and needs to be removed entirely. This needs…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. SSMS 18.0 unable to export Extended Events XEL to XEL

SSMS 18.0 is unable to export an Extended Events XEL file to another XEL file.

When viewing an XEL file in SSMS, using the Extended Events menu command "Export to" > "XEL file..." results in this error:

(Error Summary)
    TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
    Method not found: 'Void System.Object.SerializeEvent(Microsoft.SqlServer.XEvent.Linq.IEventSerializer, Microsoft.SqlServer.XEvent.IMetadataGeneration)'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.XEvent.Linq)
    BUTTONS:
    OK

(Error Detail)
    ===================================
    Method not found: 'Void System.Object.SerializeEvent(Microsoft.SqlServer.XEvent.Linq.IEventSerializer, Microsoft.SqlServer.XEvent.IMetadataGeneration)'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.XEvent.Linq)
    Program Location:
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.XEvent.Linq.XEventFileProvider`1.SerializeEvent(IEventSerializer serializationContext, TEvent serializableEvent)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.XEventStorage.ComputedGridStorage.SaveData(Object param)

I reported this same issue for a previous version of SSMS (17.?) via connect item 3136373 on 2017-06-22 and it was fixed…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Traceflag 460 causing truncation errors on code paths that are not followed

This is an odd one. I have tested this on both SQL Server 2017 CU12 and CU13 (in a container and on my production boxes).

If you have an IF/ELSE condition, and you are inserting into a table variable in the ELSE, and that INSERT would cause a truncation issue, it will throw an error, EVEN IF THE CODE IS NOT EXECUTED.

I have attached a reprop script that creates a database called "Repro" and runs the code. When TF460 is enabled, the ELSE block with throw an error when inserting into a table variable, even though it is impossible…

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. SSAS Designer showing empty phantom/duplicate tables

Working with an SSAS multidimensional cube that was developed using SSDT 17.3, the Data Source View for the cube is showing multiple phantom tables as the data source view is changed/refreshed. This is happening when looking at the Data Source View for both cubes as well as dimensions.

The Data Source View object itself does not show any issues, cube functionality does not appear to be affected when it is deployed and processed.

When trying to use the "Copy Diagram from" function, Visual Studio crashes on me.

The issue has persisted as I've upgraded to 17.4, as well as testing…

62 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  14 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. SSMS Completion Time

After installing SSMS 18.2, I have noticed that when I run the command sp_helptext 'stored_procedure_name' with the configuration "Results to Text' set, it always add the Completion Time text at the end.

I would like to suggest printing out this as a comment, so when I copy and paste the query into a new query, I don't need to delete or comment it out all the time.

For instance:
    -- Completion time: 2019-09-16T17:23:48.4080495+10:00

Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Interesting observation.

Due to feedback on this, in SSMS 18.3 we expect to have a way (in Tools | Options) to disable that line.

I’m curious to hear what other folks think about this suggestion… and then we can go from there (definitely adding a — prefix is trivial).

14. Restore multiple instance support for Reporting services in SQL 2017

Please restore the multiple instance support per server for Reporting Services 2017. SQL Server reporting Services has supported multiple instances on one server in versions SQL 2000 thru 2016 and it was removed by design with the release of SQL 2017. This was a bad move as it will force my company to deploy 6X as many servers to deploy what is a lightweight application server.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the PowerBI integration with SSRS, but it also suffers from this bad decision as well.

Best Regards,
    James Fuller
    James.fuller@amwins.com

206 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  37 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Misspelling a XEvent actions' description, server_principal_sid, at SQL Server 2019 RC1

I found a misspelled word in the server_principal_sid description.

Prinicipal -> Principal

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add FOR CSV to facilitate CSV export

We have FOR XML and FOR JSON. But it is not uncommon that people want to produce CSV files. This can be done with BCP, but it is not straightforward not the least if you want to add headers. And if you only want fields to be quoted when needed, BCP is not really what you are looking for. SSIS is also an alternative, but SSIS does not always fit in.
    Thus, it would be handy if there was a an option like FOR CSV, with a syntax like:
    FOR CSV [, HEADERS] [,DELIMITER(',')] [, QUOTE('"')]

HEADERS would mean that…

331 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  12 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Easier identification of Implicit Transactions

Lots of ORMs let developers choose to enable implicit transactions, but there's no easy way to identity them without:

1. Running Profiler
    2. Using the existing_connection XE session

Though it's a SET option, it's not included in the plan XML where SET options are identified, nor is it in sys.dm_exec_plan_attributes or sys.query_context_settings.

Using implicit transactions haphazardly can lead to some pretty nasty blocking chains. It should be much easier to identify when they're in use.

Thanks!

180 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  9 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. SSMS18 can not cancel remember password

Currently I am using ssms 18 to login a remote sql server instance, previously I ticked the remember password option.
    Now I want to cancel it, however after I login successfully without remember password, then logout. And try to login again, I find the password was still remembered.

I also try to restart the ssms, it can still remember my password.

Here is my ssms version info :
    SQL Server Management Studio 15.0.18118.0
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 15.0.1300.131
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 10.0.17763.1
    Microsoft MSXML 3.0 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.11.17763.0
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.30319.42000
    Operating System 6.3.17763

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. BUG: Statistics cannot be set to incremental when the Partition Function contains a "." (dot)

Hi,

We are moving SQL 2012 databases to SQL 2016, and some databases contain partitioned tables.

Being SQL2016, I want to make use of incremental statistics, but when I enable incremental statistics on the existing statistics/indexes, I always received the following error: "Incorrect syntax near '.'."

This error shows up for each partition that contains data.

After a lot of testing, I found out that it is caused by the name of the Partition Function.
    This contains a "." ("PF_dbo.ID") .

Has anybody run into this problem and found a way to solve it without needing to rebuild each partitioned…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Provide XEvents target directly into SQL Server table

Provide a way to directly write XEvent output directly into a SQL Server database table in a same or different instance and same or different database.

The goal being to be able to not have any events missed but have the entire stream captured to the table and also provide header information for when the capture table was created for easier management and deletion. Ideally there should be a purge task that could be activated to clean out such captures after X days.

XEvents is a great and powerful tool.
    Customers should have an easier way to get it directly…

123 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 234 235
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base