SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Create central repository for Query Store

Having a central repository on the server for query store would allow you to more quickly find a bad query on a server that say has a 100 databases.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow full support of Temporal Tables for SQL Server Express in SSMS

SQL Server Express supports temporal tables. SSMS supports temporal tables with Azure, SQL Server Developer or Enterprise edition. Yet to work with temporal tables in Express DB with SSMS it's annoying to stage of hardly possible. Normally for my development I was absolutely happy with Express instance I got along with Visual Studio (thanks, Visual Studio team, that's great move) . But after employing temporal tables I had to install Developer edition just to get designer support in SSMS.

...It feels like total overkill to me.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Installation option for Lock Pages in Memory

I would like to have an option to set Lock Pages in Memory in the SQL Server command line installation.

Something like this:

/SQLSVCLOCKPAGESINMEMORY

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/install-windows/install-sql-server-from-the-command-prompt

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Rebuild packages for new Ubuntu/Debian/... releases

Current the sql server packages (both the [server](https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server/suggestions/34175752-sql-server-won-t-install-on-linux-ubuntu-18-04-due) and the tools/odbc packages [(see comments)](https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/connect/odbc/linux-mac/installing-the-microsoft-odbc-driver-for-sql-server?view=sql-server-2017) don't install on ubuntu bionic due to some depedency problems.

It would be nice if you could rebuild the packages and add them to the bionic repository.

(the same should happen if there is ana new Ubuntu/Debian/Red Hat release...)

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Script Tasks losing code in SSDT 17.1 for Visual Studio 2015

I have an SSIS 2016 package with a number of For Each ADO Loops, each with a single script task, which are usually working fine.

However, every so often, a script task will suddenly 'forget' all the code within it. I'm presented with an empty task editor which has reset to C# (if using VB), and lost the ReadOnlyVariable names.
    If I click Edit Script, I get a brand new script created in the editor. This can occur intermittently on reopening the package, or after editing a different script task.

The same thing also occurs with both VB and C#…

86 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 47

<=-=Jun 26 2017 1:02AM=-=>

I have had the exact same issue, intermittently whenever I open script tasks all my code seems to have vanished and all the “ReadOnlyVaraiables” and “ReadWriteVariables” have also disappeared. It happens for c# and VB script tasks. This is is extremely frustrating and is impossible to develop a project when code randomly keeps disappearing. I’m wondering if this is a bug with Visual Studio 14.0.23107.0 D14REL. Can anyone at Microsoft shed some light on this please?

<=-=Jun 29 2017 10:45PM=-=>

Got the same problem. Seems like the Script Task is cleared when the project/Visual Studio i closed/shut down.

<=-=Jul 18 2017 5:38PM=-=>

Same problem for me, too. Once the original code in Script Task was still present after reloading the solution. But after that they are gone, along with ReadOnly/ReadWriteVariables and ConnectionManagers. I’m using SSDT 14.0.61705.170 (which just came out) with VS 14.0.25431.01 update…

6. Support Trace Flag 834 with Columnstore

Trace flag 834 has been marked as unsupported with columnstore by Microsoft since SQL Server 2012, but that trace flag resolves columnstore and batch mode related bottlenecks with the RESERVEDMEMORYALLOCATION_EXT wait when running workloads at high concurrency. In addition, vendors use TF 834 with columnstore when competing in the TPC-H benchmarks.

Please support TF 834 with columnstore.

References with reproducible workloads:

https://orderbyselectnull.com/2018/03/06/large-cci-etls-cannot-scale-without-tf-834/

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. CmdExec Proxy Account for SQL Server Agent doesn't load full Profile / User Registry Hive

I have a SQL Server agent job that has a single CmdExec step that executes a NetBackup program. This job works fine when the account running the job is a member of the sysadmin server role.  In this case the command is executed under the context of the domain account to which SSA is configured to run with.  Both the database engine and SSA are using the same domain account which is also in the local administrators group in the OS. 
    If I remove the account running the job from the sysadmin server role, I then need to setup a…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. xp_delete_file on SQL Server 2017/Linux

The xpdeletefile system stored procedure for deleting bakup file does not work on Linux client OS.
    Wee tested on Microsoft SQL Server 2017 (RTM-CU1) (KB4038634) - 14.0.3006.16 (X64) Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Linux (Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS)

Script we used :
    DECLARE @BACKUPDIR NVARCHAR(256);

EXEC master.dbo.xp
    instanceregread
    @rootkey = 'HKEY
    LOCALMACHINE',

@key = 'Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer',

@value
    name = 'BackupDirectory',
    @BackupDirectory = @BACKUPDIR OUTPUT;
    SELECT @BACKUP
    DIR

EXEC master.sys.xpdeletefile 0, @BACKUP_DIR, N'bak', N'21111111';
    GO

Error message :
    Msg 22049, Niveau 15, État 0, Ligne 67
    Error executing extended stored procedure: Invalid Parameter

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. SSMS and Grouping by Schema

Let SSMS group tables & other objects by Schema! This makes large databases a lot easier to maintain.

If I have a database with a lot of objects, say 300, organized in a lot of schemas (say 20), it is not easy to keep the overview. In Visual Studio there is a solution: You can group the objects by schema. There is even an outdated SSMS extension: https://ssmsschemafolders.codeplex.com

48 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. financial functions

Why can't SQL include the same financial functions that Excel offers?

This request is decades old... give us NPV, IRR, PMT, etc...

Oracle has had them, why can't SQL?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Opening Schema Compare Options crashes SSDT

I open a saved schema comparison and press the arrow in front of "Application Scoped" on the "Object Types" tab. This makes SSDT crash immediately.

Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools for Visual Studio 2017 (SSDT)
    Version 15.6.6
    VisualStudio.15.Release/15.6.6+27428.2037
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.7.02556
    SQL Server Data Tools 15.1.61801.210
    Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Please get SSDT versioning under control

The versioning for SSDT is currently insane. The version that ships with VS 2017 is labeled 15.1.6180.210, however the latest from the download page is labeled Release number: 15.6.0 and Build number: 14.0.16162.0?

The version for 2015 is labeled release number: 17.4 and build number: 14.0.61712.050

How is anyone supposed to know which version is which? 2015 is labeled version 17 and 2017 is labeled version 15? The build number for 2017 is 15.x but the newest version is 14.x?

Are you purposefully trying to make our heads explode?

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. service broker target not functional on extended events

I filed a question on StackOverflow, if SQL Server 2017 supports a service broker service as a target for extended events. It seems to be configurable, but no events are written to the service broker queue.

Any ideas?

https://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/196571/is-there-a-service-broker-target-for-an-extended-event-session

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. SQL Agent Job Chaining

It would be a great feature to make SQL Agent Jobs hierarchical so that one (or more) job(s) can be dependent on another job allowing SQL Agent Jobs to be chained together.

110 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. SSRS Bug: Choose new target for linked report offers no reports

Install and configure SQL Server Reporting Services 2016SP1CU7 (mine was a Migration from 2008R2SP3, but an empty one should do). Upload a 'master' Report and create a link to it. Delete the 'master' and re-upload it. The link is now orphaned as expected.

In previous Versions, one could re-map the link to a different master without losing parameter configuration. It had problems with hidden folders, but allowed to enter a path explicitly by hand.

2016 pops up a selector box (aggravatingly using tiles no matter how often I dell it I want lists), which allows browsing folders, but all folders…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Computed column matching bug with ISNULL on BIT type

A computed column with bit data type and outermost ISNULL is expanded but not matched back, preventing index matching.

Workarounds:

1. Ensure the computed column is not typed as bit; or

2. Do not use an outermost ISNULL (column marked nullable); or

3. Persist the computed column and enable trace flag 174.

Demo:

-- Uses index
    DROP TABLE IF EXISTS dbo.Example1;

CREATE TABLE dbo.Example1
    (

a1 bit NOT NULL,

a2 bit NOT NULL,
    d AS a1 | a2,

INDEX i (d)

);

SELECT COUNT_BIG(*)
    FROM dbo.Example1 AS E
    WHERE E.d = CONVERT(bit, 'true');

-- Does not use index
    DROP TABLE IF EXISTS dbo.Example2;

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Foreign keys between disk based tables and memory optimized tables

I'm aware of the complexity of my suggestion, and it simply may not be possible.
    The performance of a DB we have on production would be greatly improved if we could migrate only certain tables.
    But the relationship among the existing tables is so related, that we would have no other choice than recreate all tables as in-memory, recreate all the relationships and copy all the data.
    We can't allocate the required time for such a big task.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Error taking log backups on AG secondary if no log backup is taken on primary

When creating a new database and using automatic seeding, it is possible to have a database participating in an Availability Group when no log backup has ever been taken.

Consider this scenario on a 2-node AG
    * Create a database on the primary node.
    * Backup database to disk.
    * Create a new AG with this DB, using automatic seeding (or add DB to an existing AG with automatic seeding)
    * Attempt to take a log backup on the secondary node.
    * Log backup will end in error:
    Msg 35294, Level 16, State 5, Line 1
    Log backup for database…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. SSMS Data classification

Can the SSMS Data Classification feature be enhanced t o support the Australian Government security classification system protective markings? Or allow customisation of the list of values available in the sensitivity?

Can the classification option be added to database level also? This might help people implement ASD Controls 0393.

https://www.protectivesecurity.gov.au/informationsecurity/Pages/AustralianGovernmentSecurityClassificationSystem.aspx

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. The "Number of Rows Read" property is incorrect when the Predicate property contains a PROBE

Scan and Seek operators in newer versions of SQL Server report a property "Number of Rows Read" in the actual execution plan which is incredibly usesful when troubleshooting slow queries. However, it reports a misleading number of the execution plan contains a Bitmap operator and the bitmap is probed as part of the Predicate of the scan operator.

This can be demonstrated in ContosoRetailsDW with the queries below:

SELECT ds.StoreManager,

dp.BrandName,

SUM(fos.TotalCost)

FROM dbo.FactOnlineSales AS fos
    INNER JOIN dbo.DimStore AS ds

ON   ds.StoreKey = fos.StoreKey

INNER JOIN dbo.DimProduct AS dp

ON   dp.ProductKey = fos.ProductKey

WHERE ds.EmployeeCount < 30
    AND dp.ColorName…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base