SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. dm_db_stats_histogram missing row when column/histogram step contains NULL

When statistics on a nullable column contain a NULL sys.dm_db_stats_histogram will not return a row for the corresponding histogram step (when RANGE_HI_KEY is a NULL). DBCC SHOW_STATISTICS returns all steps including the aforementioned missing one. Without all the histogram levels dm_db_stats_histogram is not usable.

I can confirm this behaviour with INT and VARCHAR columns, I haven't tested other data types). I have attached the reproduction code and a screenshot. Any questions please let me know. Thank you.

SQL Version: 14.0.3025

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Query store create database

If you enable Query Store on model, then attempt to create a database, Query Store will be enabled on the new database.

However, if you attempt to create a database using a non-default collation, the CREATE database fails with a deadlock on sys.sysschobj, in the middle of a DQS transaction. (I'm using 2017 CU4)

I should be able to specify a non-default collation when creating a database, and not have DQS cause a failure.

--Enable Query Store on model
    ALTER DATABASE model SET QUERY_STORE (OPERATION_MODE = READ_WRITE);
    GO
    --Create a database using any collation other than your instace default
    CREATE…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 'Windows API call "RegGetValueW"' error when displaying version in SQLLocalDB Utility 2016 and newer

When using the "v" switch for the SQLLOCALDB command-line utility, it can only display versions 2012 and 2014. Starting with SQL Server 2016, the utility can no longer display installed versions of SQL Server Express LocalDB.

In a command prompt, if I run the following:

C:\>sqllocaldb v

It returns the following (and I have versions 2012, 2014, 2016, and 2017 installed, running on Windows 10 Home Edition):

Microsoft SQL Server 2012 (11.0.7462.6)
    Microsoft SQL Server 2014 (12.0.5214.6)
    Windows API call "RegGetValueW" returned error code: 0.

The SQL Server 2017 version of SQLLOCALDB.EXE is being used, as indicated by the first…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make it possible to have transactions doomed only where there is a reason to

Today when you enter a CATCH handler, the transaction may be doomed, meaning that you cannot continue or roll back to a savepoint. And this is perfectly OK for concurrency errors like deadlock or errors with severity >= 17, like running out of disk space. The problem is that many other errors also doom the transaction for no good reason at all. And when SET XACT_ABORT ON is in effect, all errors doom the transaction.

This means that it is not possible to implement a recoverable error handling for unexpected errors. For instance, if you are in a procedure that…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. I like a system DMV to tell me when the last time a stored procedure was executed

I like a system DMV to tell me when the last time a stored procedure was executed

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add sftp to SSIS

Add sftp component to SSIS

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Please add the Scroll bar to the Parameters section in SSRS Report Manager like in SSDT

When viewing a SSRS report on a device with a smaller screen, such as an iPad or iPhone, if there are several parameters, it takes up a lot of space, and with SSRS 2016, it does not scroll out of view - only the report section scrolls.
    Could you please provide scroll bar for parameters section in Report Manager like in SSDT.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. SSDT Database projects need a mechanism to handle static or reference data

There needs to be some sort of design surface and storage mechanism to handle static/reference tables in a database project. Right now, the only real way to handle static data is to have a laundry list of MERGE statements in the post-deploy script, which gets very difficult to manage over time.

Ideally, the table design surface would have a way to store the static data, and then the publish workflow would either build out the Merge statements at a minimum, or even better, do the data lookup compare and create just the statements needed to bring the reference data table…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Enhance the "AT TIME ZONE" functionality to allow specifying "use server local time" instead of an explicit time zone name.

Enhance the "AT TIME ZONE" functionality to allow specifying "use server local time" instead of an explicit time zone name. Right now you need to know the server's time zone when using the AT TIME ZONE functionality.

Something like:

DECLARE @TZ NVARCHAR(100) = 'Server Time Zone'
    DECLARE @D DATETIMEOFFSET = '2017-01-01T00:00:00+00:00'
    SELECT @D AT TIME ZONE @Tz

Right now you need to know the server's time zone (e.g., 'Eastern Standard Time'). This isn't always know when you are installing software around the world.

I don't care about the syntax.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. SSDT error SQL46010 on iif

SSDT reports an error on this valid syntax:

create procedure test
    as
    if (iif(1 = 1, 1, 0)
    )
    < 2
    select 'ok'

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Error SQL46010: Incorrect syntax near ). Stored Procedures\Procs2\test.sql 4

See https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/8ec0a584-1eec-4ffb-b5b2-1df6092817e6/sql46010-incorrect-syntax-near-?forum=ssdt

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. SSISDB Upgrade Failure

SSMS 17.8 contains a bug with SSISDB, specifically, when connected to a SQL Server 2016 SP2 CU1 instance (locally on the same server), if you restore a SQL backup of SSISDB from a 2014 instance and select "Database Upgrade" from Integration Services Catalogs - you get the following exception:

Object reference not set to an intance of an object. (Microsoft.SqlServer.IntegrationServices.UITasks)

Inner exception of which is:

Microsoft.SqlServer.IntegrationServices.UITasks.Helpers.GetDtsSetupPath(string subKeyName).

This issue occured with SSMS running normally, and when elavated as Administrator.

During a recent upgrade we were forced to abandon our 2014 SSISDB upgrade and create a new blank catalog on the…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Support Trace Flag 834 with Columnstore

Trace flag 834 has been marked as unsupported with columnstore by Microsoft since SQL Server 2012, but that trace flag resolves columnstore and batch mode related bottlenecks with the RESERVED_MEMORY_ALLOCATION_EXT wait when running workloads at high concurrency. In addition, vendors use TF 834 with columnstore when competing in the TPC-H benchmarks.

Please support TF 834 with columnstore.

References with reproducible workloads:

https://orderbyselectnull.com/2018/03/06/large-cci-etls-cannot-scale-without-tf-834/

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. CmdExec Proxy Account for SQL Server Agent doesn't load full Profile / User Registry Hive

I have a SQL Server agent job that has a single CmdExec step that executes a NetBackup program. This job works fine when the account running the job is a member of the sysadmin server role.  In this case the command is executed under the context of the domain account to which SSA is configured to run with.  Both the database engine and SSA are using the same domain account which is also in the local administrators group in the OS. 
    If I remove the account running the job from the sysadmin server role, I then need to setup a…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add SQL Code Formatter

Please add a SQL code formatter to the query editor. It should work like the C# code formatter in Visual Studio except for SQL.

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. SSMS v17.x slow launch time

Why does SSMS v17.x take so long to load from initial launch? From the time I click on the icon to launch it to the time it asks me to select the server to connect to is 30+ seconds. At least 20-25 seconds until the splash screen is displayed.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. xp_delete_file on SQL Server 2017/Linux

The xp_delete_file system stored procedure for deleting bakup file does not work on Linux client OS.
    Wee tested on Microsoft SQL Server 2017 (RTM-CU1) (KB4038634) - 14.0.3006.16 (X64) Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Linux (Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS)

Script we used :
    DECLARE @BACKUP_DIR NVARCHAR(256);
    EXEC master.dbo.xp_instance_regread
    @rootkey = 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE',
    @key = 'Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer',
    @value_name = 'BackupDirectory',
    @BackupDirectory = @BACKUP_DIR OUTPUT;
    SELECT @BACKUP_DIR
    EXEC master.sys.xp_delete_file 0, @BACKUP_DIR, N'bak', N'21111111';
    GO

Error message :
    Msg 22049, Niveau 15, État 0, Ligne 67
    Error executing extended stored procedure: Invalid Parameter

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Script Tasks losing code in SSDT 17.1 for Visual Studio 2015

I have an SSIS 2016 package with a number of For Each ADO Loops, each with a single script task, which are usually working fine.

However, every so often, a script task will suddenly 'forget' all the code within it. I'm presented with an empty task editor which has reset to C# (if using VB), and lost the ReadOnlyVariable names.
    If I click Edit Script, I get a brand new script created in the editor. This can occur intermittently on reopening the package, or after editing _a different_ script task.

The same thing also occurs with both VB and C#…

82 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 47

<=-=Jun 26 2017 1:02AM=-=>

I have had the exact same issue, intermittently whenever I open script tasks all my code seems to have vanished and all the “ReadOnlyVaraiables” and “ReadWriteVariables” have also disappeared. It happens for c# and VB script tasks. This is is extremely frustrating and is impossible to develop a project when code randomly keeps disappearing. I’m wondering if this is a bug with Visual Studio 14.0.23107.0 D14REL. Can anyone at Microsoft shed some light on this please?

<=-=Jun 29 2017 10:45PM=-=>

Got the same problem. Seems like the Script Task is cleared when the project/Visual Studio i closed/shut down.

<=-=Jul 18 2017 5:38PM=-=>

Same problem for me, too. Once the original code in Script Task was still present after reloading the solution. But after that they are gone, along with ReadOnly/ReadWriteVariables and ConnectionManagers. I’m using SSDT 14.0.61705.170 (which just came out) with VS 14.0.25431.01 update…

18. Installation option for Lock Pages in Memory

I would like to have an option to set Lock Pages in Memory in the SQL Server command line installation.

Something like this:

/SQLSVCLOCKPAGESINMEMORY

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/install-windows/install-sql-server-from-the-command-prompt

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. SSMS 18.0 Preview 4 - Index Properties Window GUI Problem

In object explorer if I search for an index, right click and select properties, the Add and Remove buttons are on top of the column descriptions. I am using 175% DPI. See attached screenshot.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow full support of Temporal Tables for SQL Server Express in SSMS

SQL Server Express supports temporal tables. SSMS supports temporal tables with Azure, SQL Server Developer or Enterprise edition. Yet to work with temporal tables in Express DB with SSMS it's annoying to stage of hardly possible. Normally for my development I was absolutely happy with Express instance I got along with Visual Studio (thanks, Visual Studio team, that's great move) . But after employing temporal tables I had to install Developer edition just to get designer support in SSMS.

...It feels like total overkill to me.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base