SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make this uservoice usable

- Searching removes the "top ideas" option
    - no subproduct or labelling (SSIS, SSRS, etc)
    - Search is useless "ssis text qualifier embedded" I want all keywords not results like "VS 2017 SSDT SSIS Dark Theme fail" which contains

Unless it's by design?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. SSMS pop-up windows/forms on same screen where SSMS window is active.

When right clicking in the object explorer on an element, i.e., "Tables" and wanting to perform an action such as filtering tables by going to Filter > Filter Settings, the filter settings form can appear on the other screen than where SSMS is currently active -- which is quite distracting.

I believe this is due to the initial position of SSMS on startup. If you move the SSMS window to another screen, the opening of forms/windows etc. will remain on the original screen and not follow the main SSMS window.

Watch this clip: https://d.pr/v/v7dq8v
    Notice that you can only see…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. SSRS export to CSV does not respect Row Visibility

The SSRS CSV renderer does not respect Row Visibility. So if a row in a tablix is suppressed with a Visibility expression, it does not export to other formats like PDF or Excel, but the row DOES export to CSV, so the data does not match up to what is on the report in other formats. BAD!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. SSMS 17.6 Crash when opening scheduler task for a maintenance task

When conencting for far to

2012 sp3
    2014 sp2
    2016 sp1

I crash anytime I try to open the scheduler task, I still had a VM with 17.4 and this works correctly on the same versions.

New or already created one. No time to enter or modify as it crash on load.

Event id 1000
    Faulting application name: Ssms.exe, version: 2017.140.17230.0, time stamp: 0x5aa77b02
    Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x15723a35
    Faulting process id: 0x163c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d3c19109d5c915
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Ssms.exe
    Faulting module path: unknown …

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. SSMS 17.6 crashes when clicking on a schedule in a maintenance plan

SQL Server Management Studio 17.6 (version 14.0.17230.0) crashes when I click on the schedule icon for a subplan (from a SQL Server 2016 SP1 CU4 instance). In Event Viewer, I find the following event from ".Net Runtime":

Application: Ssms.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.NullReferenceException
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlMgmt.ScheduleDialog.InitializeControls()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlMgmt.ScheduleDialog..ctor(Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlMgmt.JobScheduleData)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.DatabaseMaintenance.DbMaintDiagramHostCtrl.ChangeShedule()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.DatabaseMaintenance.DbMaintDiagramHostCtrl.grid_MouseButtonClicked(System.Object, Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.MouseButtonClickedEventArgs)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.GridControl.OnMouseButtonClicked(Int64, Int32, System.Drawing.Rectangle, System.Windows.Forms.MouseButtons)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.GridControl.HandleButtonLBtnUp(Int32, Int32)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.GridControl.ProcessLeftButtonUp(Int32, Int32)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.GridControl.OnMouseUp(System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef, System.Windows.Forms.MouseButtons, Int32)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.GridControl.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. MSSQL 2014 SP2 CU10 KB4057307 fix broke something about a way M2M works with cache

Dear Support,

There is an issue in MSSQL 2014 SP2 CU10 fix of KB4057307: it breaks something in SSAS cache if M2M in cubes are used.

Description of the problem and source of detected problem:
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/cecbd6d5-69b8-4410-9c51-a791e6e2cf75/the-mdx-function-failed-because-current-coordinate-is-empty?forum=sqlanalysisservices&prof=required

Symptoms: connecting to the cube, starting to receive messages "MDX function failed because current coordinate is empty".

Solutions:
    1) temporary: clear cube cache (not a solution for production to clean cache during the day)
    2) roll back to CU9.

There is a new CU11 available already.
    Question: is this cache issue that started in CU10 - fixed in CU11?
    Or for solution need to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. SSMS 17.6 - Cannot schedule a maintenance plan while in creation, crashes the SSMS tool.

While creating a maintenance plan, click on the scheduler icon to create a schedule, the application crashes.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. SSMS v17.6 crashes on job schedule properties dialog

1 . Connect to a server instance you wish to establish logshipping from
    2. Right-click on the database you wish to logship and choose ‘Tasks’ -> ‘Ship transaction logs…’
    3. Configure primary database settings then click ‘add’ under the secondary config…
    4. Connect to the intended secondary, set options for initialize secondary database (I usually use ‘yes, generate…’)
    5. Click the ‘copy files’ tab, set a location, and then hit ‘schedule’
    6. This error will show up:

7. If you click the ‘restore transaction log’ and hit the ‘schedule’ button there, the same error shows up:

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. SQL 2017 SSRS / Analysis Services management packs for SCOM?

Although SQL Server 2017+ (Windows and Linux) management packs for SCOM exist, there seems to be no SQL Server 2017 Reporting Services (Native mode) or SQL Server 2017 Analysis Services management packs for SCOM available yet. When will this be rectified? (See MP wiki screenshot - all other SQL versions have AS/SSRS management packs).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Option to disable Reporting Services 2017 telemetry

It does not appear to be possible to disable telemetry that is part of Reporting Services 2017 (version 14.0.600.689) via Microsoft.ApplicationInsights.dll. The cookies ai_user and ai_session are set and requests initiated to MS-owned cdn web pages.

Options that exist for the independently distributed ReportViewerControl (available via NuGet) do not appear to apply to Standalone SSRS 2017.

I am also using a custom Forms authentication setup.

See also https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/e6fd0eb7-2e6a-4818-a1bc-d18d3be89e73/how-to-disable-telemetry-for-ssrs-2017?forum=sqlreportingservices.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. SQL Server 2017 on Linux System Databases Rebuild Option

For the longest time I've been running SQL Server 2017 GA in Ubuntu 17.10. But, recently, after a recent apt update/upgrade to the OS, it stopped working.

I can't find any documentation to rebuild the system databases as the message I'm getting from the log in the image provided.

It would be nice to have an option as "/ACTION=REBUILDDATABASE".

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Query returns all rows when subquery fails

If subquery fails with
    "Msg 207, Level 16, State 1, Line 16
    Invalid column name"
    all data is returned from the outer query.

if object_id('justnow','U') is not null drop table justnow
    if object_id('string','U') is not null drop table string
    go

select getdate() somedate
    into justnow
    go

select 'xyz' txt
    into string
    go

select *
    from justnow
    where somedate in (select somedate from string)
    go

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Exception calling "Deploy" with "3" argument(s): "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

I'm getting this error when deploying a dacpac using the nuget version of DacFx.

The dacpak in question is very simple - one sproc, one table, a pre and post script (both empty).

This deploys fine if I use either sqlpackage.exe (17.4.0 GA DacFx) or Visual Studio Data Tools 2017 (latest version). It is just an issue with the library.

(Full stack trace and sample Powershell code in attachment)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Why must one perform a full backup to add to an AG, when the wizard does a full backup?

When adding a database to an availability group, one must perform a full backup, before meeting the prerequisites.
    However, once you do this, the wizard just performs another full backup anyway.
    This seems redundant.
    Why not just let the wizard do this, and not make it a requirement, as it's going to happen anyway?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We take a number of inputs into consideration when triaging issues. Business impact (severity of the issue) as well as Votes (or likelihood of a customer being impacted) are just two of the factors we consider when triaging.

We do not simply use votes alone.

17. Hi, can anyone tell me when security patches for the meltdown/spectre vulnerability will be made available within the Microsoft update catal

Hi, can anyone tell me when security patches for the meltdown/spectre vulnerability will be made available within the Microsoft update catalog? I would like to push them down Via wsus but cannot do this due to them now being added into the catalog or wsus.

KB4057121 for 2012

KB4057113 for 2008 R2

thanks

Lee

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Fix spelling error in template "Database Mail" > "Simple Database Mail Configuration"

The word "specified" is spelled incorrectly of line 79 of the Simple Database Mail Configuration Template on SSMS 17.4.

The line reads "RAISERROR('Failed to associate the speficied profile with the specified account (<account_name,sysname,SampleAccount>).', 16, 1) ;"

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. SSMS error with SHOWPLAN_TEXT

When you enable the parameter "SET SHOWPLAN_TEXT ON; " The first query execution goes well and produces a query plan in text format, but the second one causes an error at the level of "mscorlib "

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. binary or string data would be truncated => error message enhancments

if you have that error (in production), it's not obvious to see which column or row this error comes from, and how to locate it exactly.
    it's even more complicated if it's coming from a trigger, for example, and not the original insert/update.

I have seen that oracle meanwhile gives clear information which column the error is raising, which actual data length was passed, and the column's max size.

1,156 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

100 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base