SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SSMS 2016 "Help -> View Help" always opens online, regardless of selected preference

Similar to the previously fixed bug when using the "F1" key to open help. It would be nice if the menu item worked as well.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. PLEASE CLOSE: SSMS Disk Usage reports showing #Error

SSMS 16.5 is showing '#Error' in lots of places in the built in reports such as Disk Usage, Disk Usage by Table, Backup and Restore Events. This is SSMS 16.5 on Windows 10 Pro. This is repeatable on both my local instance (SQL 2016 Developer) and on remote SQL 2014 SP2 CU2 instances.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Dec 13 2016 1:00AM=-=>

Please close. The problem has gone away again. It must have just got into a confused state.

<=-=Dec 27 2016 1:26PM=-=>

I was able to reproduce this a single time, which happened to be the first time I opened SSMS 16.5.1 (13.0.16100) on a new Windows 10 installation. The next time I opened SSMS, disk usage reports worked correctly.

<=-=Jun 29 2017 10:56PM=-=>

I’m also unable to repro this issue using SSMS 17.1. I’m closing it, as per David’s comment.

Thanks,
    -Matteo

3. SSMS install location

SSMS should not be "magically apple installed" to wherever it pleases. it should ask me where the #$@% I want it to live. How the hell do you drop such a simple and basic feature? Rationalize all you want about how nobody *needs* it, or it has a small footprint so it's ok, or ... or ... - but it's stupid.

Simple stuff MS, stop turning into Apple and find your way again... atm you're lost on every simple thing and customers like my enormous company are starting to fall away... (We dropped dozens of sql server installs this year)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 'System.OutOfMemoryException' thrown by even small selects randomly now

I recently upgraded to SQL Management Studio version: 13.0.15700.28. The upgrade was successful from the previous version but now the application will regularly give a 'An error occurred while executing batch. Error message is: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown' exception. This would be normal if it was for large datasets, but it is occuring doing 'Select top 10 * From (object)'. It occurs generally after a few hours of use and not right away when opening it. However I use to leave SSMS open for days with multiple sessions and this never happened till the current upgrade. I am…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 32

<=-=Aug 23 2016 8:28AM=-=>

I am seeing this as well. I installed the update on 2 machines, one Windows 10 Surface Pro 4,16G RAM, and one Windows 7 SP 1, 8G RAM. When I look at the Task Manager (which may not be accurate), it shows that I’m only using 8 of 16G total on the machine and SSMS is only using 164Mb Both systems have been exhibiting since within an hour after I upgraded. The message is coming up on really small queries. The last one, I declared a table variable with one column in it and inserted 11 rows and it gave the out of memory. Clearly, this cannot cause out of memory. I do have multiple tabs open, but not too many. Currently, 3 sql tabs and 2 XMLA tabs. 2 SQL Servers and 2 SSAS Servers open in Object Explorer. Really not…

5. Intellisense for REPLACE function is useless

Please have a more helpful Intellisense description for the REPLACE function...

You need to come up with something better than REPLACE(expression nvarchar(1), expression nvarchar(1), expression nvarchar(1)) RETURNS nvarchar(1)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow users to disable phone-home feedback in SQL 2016 Developer, Express, and Evaluation Editions

By default, SQL Server 2016 phones home with telemetry data as described in https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3153756. Let users disable that telemetry in Developer, Express, and Evaluation Editions.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 325

<=-=Jun 2 2016 10:19AM=-=>

From https://www.microsoft.com/EN-US/privacystatement/SQLServer/Default.aspx, “It is possible that personally identifiable information may be captured in memory or in the data collected from open files, but Microsoft does not use it to identify you.”
    My developers must write and use interfaces to bank cores. Because of https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3153756, my developers will potentially be sending MS the bank accounts, names, addresses, social security numbers, birth dates, and various passwords for millions of US citizens. This is unacceptable.

<=-=Jun 2 2016 11:26AM=-=>

I was going to install it on my report server but I can’t if this isn’t fixed because even the potential of leaked data is serious to my clients. In fact, I already keep a SQL express version separate for my internal reporting from my non-express SQL Server engine to minimize exposure. That means I’ll need to stick with 2014 which is too bad as I…

7. SSMS Still Forgets Passwords

You closed this same issue many times as, variously, norepro and wontfix. However, this is a serious, long-standing issue for those of us unfortunate enough to have to manage numerous SQL Server deployments.

This is a known, reproducible issue, as you can tell from the many Google results, as well as the comments on the many reports of this bug you've ignored. Below is the description of the bug from my last report, which was closed as wontfix with no explanation.

SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) has a long-standing bug that you refuse to fix. Below are some of the…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Implement Batch Mode Support for Row Store

I would love to see the Batch Mode implemented for the Row Store, it would bring a major improvement to the query execution plans performance.
    With current data growth explosion almost no OLTP system is working on couple of hundreds of rows, the real numbers are moving very fast into millions.

OLTP systems can't be viewed only from the perspective of writing the data, where in fact small amounts of data are processed, but when dealing with a constantly increasing number of rows read - this situation needs to be addressed.

I constantly see systems where index scan operators are…

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. String or binary data would be truncated

Msg 8152, Level 16, State 13, Line 2
    String or binary data would be truncated.
    The statement has been terminated.

A lovely error in a 300 lines of SQL update statement in SQL Server 2005, it does not say what field was truncated, what line was truncated.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. SSMS - dragging column names to query window doesn't add square brackets

If i drag a column (or list of columns) which have spaces from SSMS Object explorer to a query window, the column names are not qualified/quoted with square brackets meaning. This gives syntax errors when running queries. This is particularly frustrating when dragging a column set to a window as you have to manually add the square brackets to each column.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. SSMS should not given an error when newsequentialid() used as a "default value or binding"

In SQL Server Management Studio 2008 RC0, when you enter "newsequentialid()" as the "Default Value or Binding", SSMS gives a dialog box that says "Error validating the default for column XYZ. Do you want to cancel your changes?"

This error message occurs whether or not you have set the RowGUIDCol property on the xolumn.

I have seen similar feedback items, mostly for SQL 2005, but there seems to have been no resolution in several years. I hope this can get fixed for SQL 2008.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. UTF-8 in SQL 2019: NVARCHAR to VARCHAR(MAX) can get Msg 8152 "String or binary data would be truncated"

In SQL Server 2019 CTP 2, you can receive a "String or binary data would be truncated" error when converting (implicitly or explicitly) an NVARCHAR value into VARCHAR(MAX) if the Unicode string contains and Code Points that require 3 bytes in UTF-8 AND the size (in bytes) of the NVARCHAR value is not large enough to contain the UTF-8 version of the string once the 2-byte UTF-16 characters become 3-byte UTF-8 characters. Hence, this is only a potential problem when Code Points U+0800 through U+FFFF (decimal 2048 - 65535) are present in the NVARCHAR value.

This does not affect VARCHAR(1…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. UTF-8 in SQL 2019: Invalid UTF-8 bytes get (Msg 682, Level 22, State 148) Internal error. Buffer provided to read column value is too small.

When inserting some invalid UTF-8 byte sequences, you can get either a mysterious (and changing) extra byte, OR in some cases you can get the following error (and are then disconnected):

Msg 682, Level 22, State 148, Line XXXXX
    Internal error. Buffer provided to read column value is too small. Run DBCC CHECKDB to check for any corruption.

For these tests, the database does not need to have a "_UTF8" Collation as its default Collation.

The first test shows that inserting a value of 0xE4A9, a partial / invalid UTF-8 sequence, into a VARCHAR(2) via a CTE works just fine:

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add Default Backup Checksum Option to SSMS GUI

SSMS should have a checkbox under Server Properties, on the Database Settings page, labeled something like "Use Backup Checksums" that would toggle the sp_configure setting for "backup checksum default". This would make it easier for people to enable backup checksum default, which is a good "best practice" that the tooling should encourage.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. SSMS bug: missing ellipsis for truncated field values (Results to Grid)

This bug led me to think the values were different than actual ones: sometimes, when truncating values due to column width, SSMS 2017 (17.7) doesn't put ellipsis (…) in the end of the truncated value, and users are misled to think the value is not truncated.

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Make this uservoice usable

- Searching removes the "top ideas" option
    - no subproduct or labelling (SSIS, SSRS, etc)
    - Search is useless "ssis text qualifier embedded" I want all keywords not results like "VS 2017 SSDT SSIS Dark Theme fail" which contains

Unless it's by design?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. SSMS pop-up windows/forms on same screen where SSMS window is active.

When right clicking in the object explorer on an element, i.e., "Tables" and wanting to perform an action such as filtering tables by going to Filter > Filter Settings, the filter settings form can appear on the other screen than where SSMS is currently active -- which is quite distracting.

I believe this is due to the initial position of SSMS on startup. If you move the SSMS window to another screen, the opening of forms/windows etc. will remain on the original screen and not follow the main SSMS window.

Watch this clip: https://d.pr/v/v7dq8v
    Notice that you can only see…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. SSRS export to CSV does not respect Row Visibility

The SSRS CSV renderer does not respect Row Visibility. So if a row in a tablix is suppressed with a Visibility expression, it does not export to other formats like PDF or Excel, but the row DOES export to CSV, so the data does not match up to what is on the report in other formats. BAD!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. SSMS 17.6 Crash when opening scheduler task for a maintenance task

When conencting for far to

2012 sp3
    2014 sp2
    2016 sp1

I crash anytime I try to open the scheduler task, I still had a VM with 17.4 and this works correctly on the same versions.

New or already created one. No time to enter or modify as it crash on load.

Event id 1000
    Faulting application name: Ssms.exe, version: 2017.140.17230.0, time stamp: 0x5aa77b02
    Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x15723a35
    Faulting process id: 0x163c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d3c19109d5c915
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Ssms.exe
    Faulting module path: unknown …

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base