SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Tempdb spill columns in sys.dm_exec_query_stats should account for batch mode operator spills

I am testing against SQL Server 2017 RTM-CU4. As far as I can tell, only tempdb spills associated with row mode operators are tracked in the new columns for tempdb spills in sys.dmexecquerystats: lastspills, totalspills, maxspills, and min_spills. Spills for batch mode operators are not included. None of the documentation that I can find mentions this as a limitation, so I assume that this is a bug.

Batch mode execution brings additional challenges around memory grant management and tempdb spills are common for the workloads that I look at. Adaptive query memory feedback is…

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. "Call Stack"

Provide DMV to provide the call stack of stored procedures, triggers, CLR functions etc prefferable in JSON format so it is parsable.

As Erland Sommarskog says this is available but only in the "event Blocked Process Report:

<executionStack>

&lt;frame line=&quot;17&quot; stmtstart=&quot;1332&quot; stmtend=&quot;2906&quot; sqlhandle=&quot;0x03000d00399f00558c840601a29800000100000000000000&quot;/&gt;

&lt;frame line=&quot;1&quot; sqlhandle=&quot;0x01000d00638e300f302e10ac000000000000000000000000&quot;/&gt;

</executionStack>

That is, here the call stack is available. Through the sqlhandle it is possible to retrieve
    the objectids of the calling procedures.

If if it's available this way, it can't be too difficult to expose this in a DMV. Only exposing the
    sqlhandle would not match with my observation with permissions above, but…

59 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. OPENROWSET T-SQL and MOLAP provider fail on complex DAX statements

Running the OpenRowSet (SQL2016) against a SSAS 2017 on-premise or Azure SSAS will fail with error

OLE DB provider "MSOLAP" for linked server "(null)" returned message "OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error: An unexpected exception occurred.."

T-SQL Statement:

SELECT *
    FROM OpenRowset('MSOLAP','DATASOURCE=<Servername>;Initial Catalog=<cube>;User ID=<userid>;Password=<password>’,
    '<DAX STATEMENT>’)

Running the DAX directly against SSAS (2017) returns the correct results, also the OpenRowSet command works fine in SSAS 2016 using the same DAX statement.

Bug maybe due to the properties differences in the OpenRowSet implementation rather than the MOLAP provider (these are the XML properties included in the MDX query to…

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Change the way Script Task/Components are handled in SSIS

When having to work with script task or components inside of SSIS it becomes quiet tedious because the loading times are exessive and the functionalities are rather limited.
    I would like to propose a new form of Script Task, a Script Task v2 if you will. Instead of just exposing a subset of VS making this Script Task a proper C#/VB.net proj that compiles down to a dll. That has a Main Class that implements an interface that contains a execute-method.
    These Projects would be added to the SSIS Solution as seperate Projects offering everything from Nuget to properly allowing…

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. VS2017 and SSDT publishing Graph Database objects created before schemas

VS 15.7.4
    SSDT 15.1.61804.210

We created a new SQL Server Database Project in VS2017 and imported a database that uses Graph DB features.

Trying to publish the project we receive and error indicating one schema is missing (a custom schema that contains graph database objects).
    We dug into publish t-sql script and we found that CREATE TABLE statements for graph db edge tables were placed before CREATE SCHEMA statements, therefore, publish won’t ever complete successfully.

To complete deploy we had to move CREATE SCHEMA statements above and run the script manually.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Fix Export/Import of Registered Servers WITH Passwords

I just did an Export of Registered Servers from one machine, running SSMS 17.5, followed by an IMPORT of that file in a machine running SSMS 17.6. Upon exporting, I left the check box blank for "Do not include user names and passwords in the export file". Yes, I am aware that it is a security risk, but I don't want to have to re-enter all my passwords again.
    Upon import, I got about a dozen errors stating "Key not valid for use in specified state." (I'm in Connecticut. Does it only work in Washington state?)
    Then it says, "Import…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  10 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. SSIS/SSAS/SSRS Linux - SQL server runs on Linux, we wish the other services to follow...

MS said it's on the road-map, yet I read in other MS resource that if customers will vote for it, higher chances it will be done. so... SS*S to run on Linux is our desire. lower the costs, enables us to consider Linux/Docker/K8 containers approach rather than the existing expensive setup...

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Identical symmetric keys do not work between SQL Server 2017 and other SQL Server version

hi everybody!

I believe, there is a general product issue in SQL Server 2017. The problem concerns encrypting & decrypting data using the same symmetric key on different servers.
    I have an issue in SQL Server 2017 CU3 (version 14.0.3015.40). I need to create identical symmetric keys on two servers of different versions, as it is described in MS article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/security/encryption/create-identical-symmetric-keys-on-two-servers

These steps work well within and between different versions of SQL Servers (2012, 2014, 2016), but not between SQL Server 2017 and any other server.
    I can create identical symmetric keys on SQL Server 2012, 2014 and 2016. So…

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  12 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Indicate "morally equivalent" forced plan where use_plan = true but is_forced = 0

Currently, if you force a plan in query store (or if it is forced by automatic plan correction), the exact plan which is forced has isforced = 1 in sys.querystoreplan. In the plan properties, there is no useplan indication.

After this plan is forced, often a "morally equivalent" plan will be compiled, which has a different queryplanid and different costs, but the same plan shape.

This "morally equivalent plan" has isforced = 0 in sys.querystoreplan. In the execution plan properties, useplan = true.

These "morally equivalent plans" are currently difficult…

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Reporting Services 2017 installation - domain controller.

Please give back the ability to install Reporting Services 2017 on a domain controller.
    Every installation of SSRS from 2008 to 2016 works without any problem.
    Reporting Services as part of Sql Server are crucial for many SMBs that don't have the infrastructure to install separate machines for domain controller and sql server.
    I understand recommending, but not prohibiting.
    Kind regards

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Removing dependency of MDS on SilverLight.

Removing dependency of MDS on SilverLight.

This dependency is preventing MDS from being used outside of POCs.

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. New SQL version of SQL Server

Would love to see sql server go the direction of nuodb or memsql and implement a fully distributed version of MS SQL SERVER.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Provide a way to update SSDT system database reference DACPACs

Please provide a method for updating the master.dacpac and model.dacpac reference databases that install with SSDT.

The versions that install with SSDT are static and do not reflect any changes/enhancements/bug-fixes that are made within SQL Server.

For example, the SQL Server 2017 master.dacpac is missing the new system DMV's [sys].[dmoshostinfo] and [sys].[dmdblogstats], and the recently released SQL Server 2016 SP2 adds a new DMV [sys].[dmdbloginfo] and new columns to the DMV [sys].[dmossysinfo] which will be missing from the SQL Server 2016 master.dacpac.

Any referenes to new DMV's/columns generate…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. [Graph Database] Implementation of Transitive Closure and Transitive Reduction

It'd be great to have the transitive closure and reduction implemented in SQL Server Graph Database. A lot of scenarios will benefit from them.

Here a description of the two problems:
    https://goo.gl/j9U5nb

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Test the SSDT with new Versions of Visual Studio before releasing them to the public.

TITLE: SQL Server Integration Services

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.IntegrationServicesEnum, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The parameter is incorrect. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070057 (E_INVALIDARG)) (mscorlib)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

The parameter is incorrect. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070057 (E_INVALIDARG)) (mscorlib)

BUTTONS:

OK

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Permit TRUNCATE TABLE when referencing tables are empty

TRUNCATE TABLE is an efficient command to empty a table, as deallocates all extents and the extend allocation is all that is logged.

However, its usefulness is reduced by the fact that you cannot use it when there are referencing foreign keys. In the general case, this makes sense, as if the referencing table has data, truncating the table is almost bound to cause a constraint violation. The exception is if all rows in the referencing table has a NULL value in the FK column, but verifying this could be expensive.

However, you may want to use TRUNCATE TABLE on…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Use gMSA accounts for everything

Currently gMSA accounts can be used as Windows Service accounts for SQL Server. gMSA you never have to provide the password just the account name for approved devices. It would be nice if you could also use gMSA accounts for SQL Server Credentials for SSIS Jobs. For SSRS Data Connectors to a database. Essentially it would make things more secure than using a traditional "Service Account" that we put into a data source or credential and never update the password. The password is saved in some document somewhere. Same accounts being used for multiple purposes. By using a gMSA account…

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. SSRS 2016 SP2 no longer respects text/html MIMEType

An HTML file uploaded to SSRS 2016 SP1 would be identified as mimetype text/html. From the Report Manager portal you could click the link and it would be rendered in a browser window.

After installing 2016 sp2 the mime type for the exact same file is now application/octet-stream. When clicking the link for this file from report manager, it prompts for download instead of opening in a browser window.

This occurs in I.E, Edge, FF and Chrome.

The Use case is uploading an HTML file to include a link/redirect to our data dictionary website to keep our users inside of…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Replace the import wizard with Power Query

Instead of using the outdated import wizard (not the new one that was released recently in SSMS), a new one should be created that leverages the Power Query engine (aka the M language) to import data into SQL Server.

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. SSIS package fails to start - application lock timeout in SSISDB.catalog.create_execution

Details are described here:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/783291/ssis-package-fails-to-start-application-lock-timeout-in-ssisdb-catalog-create-execution

In short: when a scheduled job tries to execute an SSIS package , there's a time-out in the communication between the job and the SSISDB database. The package is never executed. The original bug reports was closed as duplicate (no duplicate to be found though).

I encountered this bug in SQL Server 2017, patched to the latest CU.

Error message: Failed to execute IS server package because of error 0x80131904. Description: The operation failed because the execution timed out. Source: .Net SqlClient Data

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  7 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base