SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. multiple same columnames in dsv

A table in the data source view shows same columns multiple. When I do a dsv refresh the message "Item has already been added..." appears. When I want to substitute the table with a named query, the query is fine but when pressing ok the same error appears.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 1 =Apr 20 2006 2:44PM= Thank you for submitting this problem. Can you please send us a backup of your AS2000 database with meta-data only ? (you can copy paste your database with Analysis Manager and send us the backup of the copy, this will ensure we only get the meta-data). So we can debug the migration wizard and resolve the problem. You can send the .cab file by e-mail to adriandu@microsoft.com. Thank you. =Apr 21 2006 6:07AM= .CAB and t-sql for creating the relational database send. Problem occurs still with SP1 =Apr 26 2006 12:20PM= Thank you for reporting the problem, we fixed it for SP2.

2. Documentation on CONTENT/DOCUMENT for XML Schema Collections is thin

ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/udb9/html/4bc50af9-2f7d-49df-bb01-854d080c72c7.htm CONTENT/DOCUMENT for XML schema collections is described, but very briefely. An example showing the difference would help. On ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/tsqlref9/html/9198f671-8e61-4ca4-9c3a-859f84020e62.htm DOCUMENT/CONTENT is entirely missing from the syntax.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. OPENXML causes system assertion failure

Running a SPROC with OPENXML causes an assertion failure.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 4 =May 22 2006 4:04PM= Thank you for the report. This has been verified as a bug in the OpenXML implementation in SQL Server 2005 and a fix is being investigated. In the meantime, a workaround is to store the OpenXML results in a temp table and reference the temp table from the query. In the original query from the repro, this could improve performance since it would prevent the OpenXML clause from being evaluated multiple times. Here’s a rewrite of the original repro that gives the expect results: CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[OpenXMLBug] AS BEGIN SET NOCOUNT ON DECLARE h int DECLARE @xmldoc varchar(8000) -- Get from Zillow Web Service DECLARE @Latitude varchar(20) DECLARE @Longitude varchar(20) set @xmldoc = '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>47.552557-121.994862' EXEC sp_xml_preparedocument @h OUTPUT, @xmldoc SELECT * INTO #ox FROM OPENXML(h,‘/’) SELECT TOP 1 Latitude = CAST(a.text as Varchar(25)) FROM #ox as a INNER JOIN #ox as

4. expired shared schedules can't be edited in Management Studio

Expired shared schedules can't be edited in Management Studio

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0 =May 26 2006 2:26PM= sorry… this is a duplicate of http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/viewfeedback.aspx?feedbackid=b1d109db-c4e7-43d2-a967-953be1979df6 =May 31 2006 1:00PM= Hi furmangg, Thanks for reportingthis and we will consider this for our next service pack. I hope you must be already using hte workaround of using sp_update_schedule or SMO Jobscheudle object to update the expired schedule. Thanks, Gops Dwarak =Nov 3 2007 11:17PM= For SQL Server 2008, we made following fixes in SSMS and Report Manager: 1) Users can edit shared schedules in SSMS where end date 2) RM validates that end date start date before creating a schedule. Thanks for reporting this issue.

5. Bug in Report Builder (VS 2005) custom color expression

when you click on a custom color in the expression builder it transposes the HEX values for the color

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0 =May 11 2006 4:04PM= A fix has been coded and will appear in the next service pack. -Albert =Jan 24 2007 7:12PM= Service pack for which product? I don’t think it’s obvious where the problem resides. VS 2005 or SQL2K5 Report Builder? =Nov 1 2007 8:54PM= This was resolved in the report server project in SQL Server 2005 SP2 as well as the local mode report designer Visual Studio 2005 SP1.

6. report models list renders funny when Report Builder is maximized

There's a very annoying formatting problem with the list of report models when you maximize the Report Builder window after scrolling it the first time you pick a model.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. tuples with All member are excluded from an Analysis Services dataset in Reporting Services report

If the tuple (that defines a row) explicitly contains an All member, that row is excluded from the dataset that Reporting Services sees when the report is run.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3 =Feb 7 2006 5:56PM= It sounds like you added a table without groupings and just added the fields. A table without any groups means you are showing detail data in the table. Subtotal (aggregate) rows are not detail data. Hence, those rows do not show up when running the report for instance in preview. If you add groupings on the table based on the dimensions (e.g. Product), and use the Aggregate() function accordingly in the group headers/footers, the table will show the appropriate aggregated measure values from the AS flattened rowset in the correct scopes. As you have identified, if you change the data source type from “Analysis Services” to “OleDB” you will get a different behavior: aggregate rows show up as detail rows. However, I would think that in most scenarios treating aggregate rows as detail rows in a report is incorrect and you should really understand…

8. Fatal execption counting table while inserting

When inserting 110 million rows into a table if I run: select count (*) from [TABX] with (nolock) ...during the insert I intermittently get a fatal exception error as per the attached bug check dump.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Report Builder XML Errors

If you build a complicated report with a lot of fileds / columns from multiple tables, it will give you an XML error. This seems different than the timeout error.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1 =Sep 11 2007 1:14PM= Jeff, would you please add details to reproduce this issue? Which report design tool is this? Report Builder or Report Designer in Visual Studio? What data source? What is the exact error? =Nov 1 2007 10:17PM= Closing issue this as we don’t have enough details to repro this error.

10. Typo in SSIS Log, "OnError" event

SSIS > Logging >Details task. On ErrorEvent reads "Used to define actions to perofrm..". Should be "perform"

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0 =Jun 5 2006 2:04PM= I fixed the spelling of “perform” in the 3 locations in the Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime.EventInfo class reference topic where it is misspelled. Thank you, -Doug =Oct 15 2007 4:37PM= I fixed this issue in June of 2006. It appears that you did not receive an acknowledgment at that time. Thank you for reporting this typo. Best regards, -Doug

11. MARS transaction error when storing images > 409600 bytes

If you attempt to store an image > 409600 bytes in size when MARS is enabled you will get an error that a transation is still active. Attached is a simple C++ program that shows that storing 409600 bytes works, but storing 409601 bytes failes.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1 =May 22 2006 2:12PM= We will fix this bug in the next release of SQL Server but not in SQL Server 2005. This is not a regression from SQL Server 2000. WIth SQL Server 2005 the workaround is to use varbinary(max) rather than image as this type behaves more uniformly than image and is not subject to this bug, or to avoid using MARS. =Nov 15 2007 1:31PM= While fixing this problem in SQL Server 2008 we reconsidered the case for fixing it in SQL Server 2005 too and this problem has been fixed in SQL Server 2005 SP2.

12. Close Tab Icon is not being displayed

The icon for closing tabs is missing. The button is there, but no icon

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2 =Sep 15 2005 7:40AM= Hi David, We experianced this problem after upgrading on Windows XP but we can’;t reproduce the problem any more. Can you explain what process you used to install and what version you have installed. Thank you, Bill Ramos =Sep 19 2005 6:23AM= Hi Bill, I previously had the July CTP installed on my PC. I uninstalled the July CTP, then installed the September CTP. I installed the Server, the Analysis Server, Reporting Services, and the Managment Tools. =Sep 19 2005 7:32AM= Hi David, Thanks for the additional information. We will consider fixing this in a futre release.If you run setup again and perform a repair operation – does the problem go away? Bill Ramos

13. Save not working when focus on properties in Table Designer

When creating/modifing a table within SSMS, if the focus is on the Properties Window clicking on Save Table button or using keyboard shortcut, the table is not saved. This is inconsistant with Visual Studio or most user's expectation.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1 =May 3 2006 10:20AM= Quick update. We are placing this bug report under consideration for SP2. =Aug 10 2006 11:12AM= Hi Judah, Thank you for your bug report regarding the save functionality. We will investigate this for the next major release of SQL Server. In the meantime, just make sure you have focus correctly set so that the save message is recieved. Thank you, Bill Ramos =Nov 2 2010 2:46PM= Still a problem from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 SP1.

14. Split dropdown button in Logins Summary view shows "List" when in "Details" view

The split dropdown button at the top of the "Logins" summary page shows the text "List" when the "Details" view has been chosen. See attached screenshots.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0 =Sep 25 2005 7:24PM= Hi Gregory, Thank you for the bug report. We will look into this for a future release. Bill Ramos =Sep 28 2005 10:52AM= Hi Gregory, After reviewing this report, it turns out this behavior is by design. We do change the Icon to show the change in selection – not the text. =Oct 5 2005 2:43AM= Just to note that your “By Design” behaviour would break the currently published UX Guidelines (v0.8) published at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=FD380553-911E-4659-A085-4DD58AE4B9AE&displaylang=en I think that having the icon and the text different to each other would prove even more confusing! Being realistic, we know that this is highly unlikely to make the RTM of SQL Server, but perhaps a service pack???

15. Unlock account from Mgmt Studio does not work

Credit for this bug goes not Nilton Pinheiro. When you try to unlock an account from the GUI in Mgmt Studio, Mgmt Studio fails to include the UNLOCK clause, so the account is not locked. Furthermore, if the user does not change the password, the password is set to number of asterisks, or at least so it appears when the action is scripted. Since the password must be set with UNLOCK, Mgmt Studio must require that the user actively gives a password. Default passwords are not good for security.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 9 =Sep 17 2005 11:16AM= Hi Erland, Thank you for reporting this bug. The check box for “Account is locked out” should have never been enabled in the first place. The proper action is for the user to open a query window and execute the ALTER LOGINUNLOCK command. We were planning to hook up the ability to unlock in the next release. I will mark this as an SP1 candidate bug. Bill Ramos =Sep 17 2005 3:12PM= Disabling the checkbox is fine with me. Even nicer with some text saying “Use ALTER LOGIN from a query window to unlock”. But I am worried that you plan to wait until SP1 to disable a checkbox. That does not sound like rocket science to me. =Oct 11 2006 8:31PM= Hey Erland, We actually have not addressed this issue in Service Pack 2 either. Though, we’re still considering it for…

16. RU:BOL (Russian text truncation in BOL setup programm)

Russian text truncation in BOL setup programm.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. RU: BUL: Parametr names in UI differ from what are used in documentation BOL

Parametr names in UI differ from what are used in documentation BOL

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. GRANT CREATE TABLE not sufficient for creating tables

GRANT CREATE TABLE TO <user> not sufficient for that user to create tables!

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Renaming a Key in Object Explorer does not work

Renaming one of the Keys of a table in Object Explorer gives a 'The method or operation is not implemented' exception.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0 =Dec 17 2005 12:57PM= I was not able to repeat this. I tried both against SQL 2005 and SQL 2000, but I was able to successfullly rename the key on both servers. =Dec 18 2005 1:00AM= I am using Sql Server Management Studio 9.00.1399.00 by the way against a Sql Server 2005 database. I have attached two screenshots of the problem. The first one is taken after I have pressed F2 to rename a key, and the second one is the error-message after I have pressed Enter. I have done some more tests though and I appears that it does not fail on Primary Keys, but only on Foreign Keys. =Dec 24 2005 3:22PM= Alright. Since you only said “key”, I only tried a PK. I tried an FK, and that indeed fail with the error you reported. =Jul 11 2006 5:42PM= Thank you for the feedback –…

20. DeriveParameters call returns ParameterCollection with icorrect data types

DeriveParameters call returns ParameterCollection with icorrect data types for sp parameters which is used user-defined data types

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2 =Apr 22 2006 3:11PM= DeriveParametes calls sp_procedure_params_managed which does return any type names for user-defined types at all. All SqlClient gets is a numeric type indicator, which appears to follow the OLE DB definition. And OLE DB does not distinguish between money/smallmoney or datetime/smalldatetime, SqlClient can only make a guess about the real type. Thus, while this may look like an ADO .Net issue, it’s an engine issue. The procedure sp_procedure_params_managed, or rather the view it references needs fixing. =Nov 15 2007 9:46AM= Thank you very much for your feedback. it was valuable to identifying the issue which is now fixed and will be available in the final release of Visual Studio 2008.

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base