SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Dark Theme for SQL Server Management Studio 2017 (SSMS 2017)

Dark Theme works well in Visual Studio and should be included in SSMS. It helps reduce eye strain after long periods of development and debugging.

671 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

unplanned  ·  43 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make SSDT Available for Linux as well

As of now, if we need to build the SQL Server project, we need the SSDT toolkit on a Windows machine to build the project. Is it possible to make it available for Linux as well so that we can build the SQL server project not only on Windows but on Linux as well?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Change the title of a report to be different from .rdl file name

If my RDL file is named Reportforseeingthings.rdl

Displayed the web portal report title as "Report for seeing things"

This would allow users to adhere to URL design best practices and give designers the ability to accomodate their clients naming pattern requests.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Color for defined variables

Currently defined variables "@Example" fall under the 'Identifer' category as far as custom colors in the text editor is concerned and I would like for them to be able to be distinguished. I am asking for them to be broken out as a different category so they can be customized (I basically want them to stand out so I can more easily see where they go without having to do a search for "@" etc.)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Adding Multi-column IN clause support by SQL Server

Currrently, SQL Server does not support multi-column IN clause. For example, the following query :
    Select * from tableA where (columnA, columnB) in select (columnX,columnY) from tableB
    will not run, failing by displaying the error :
    non-boolean type specified in a context where a condition is expected”

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. SQL Import and Export Wizard

I have been using SQL Server since it was born and the Import Wizard has consistently had issues with registrations of file types and transformations. In this day and age of AI, ML and exotic claims of smart technology I find it difficult to believe that this import "Wizard" still requires me to go through hoops to determine registration requirements and combinations and permutations of possible formatting issues. This has got to be one of the dumbest "Wizards" out there and maybe can get some loving and caring in the next release. Cheers Peter Molloy

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. The Context Menu in the object explorer is incorrect.

When using a dark color theme, the context menu can not be read.
    Background and foreground colors are black.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. SQL Server Data Import and Export Wizard: Order of Tables

When using the Import/Export wizard to copy multiple tables from one DB to another, it would be great if SQL Server could intelligently determine the order to process the tables based on foreign key constraints.

With the current behavior I will often get foreign key constraint failures because data is loaded into a child table before the data is loaded into the parent table.

It should be possible to determine an optimal load order by using the foreign key constraints defined on the tables. If not, then it would be nice to be able to manually set the order.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Dark Theme in SSMS 2017

I am new here. Using SQL server for maybe 1 year and I am really sad because you don't have the dark theme... I hope you will be available it soon, thanks :)

i can do something like this: https://www.sqlshack.com/setting-up-the-dark-theme-in-sql-server-management-studio/, but it not as good as original :/

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. New security role for SQL Agent - SQLAgentAdminRole

I feel the SQL Agent roles are too limiting. If you want to allow freedom in a development, or assign management of SQL Agent jobs to a person; even SQLAgentOperatorRole doesn't do much. This means SysAdmins are still required to assist others in altering/removing jobs.

I propose a new role that allows the member to do anything with SQL Agent, like a member of SysAdmin, but without the access to all other parts of SQL Server that SysAdmin provides.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Please create a redistributable command-line equivalent for SSMS -> Extended Events -> Export

We've created a .NET C# based export for XEL to CSV using QueryableXEventData but it takes 4 minutes to export a 1GB file. In SSMS, clicking Extended Events -> Export -> CSV takes 45 seconds for the same file.

Unfortunately, interative SSMS is required, so the process cannot be automated. Please create a command-line executable so we can automate the export at the delicious speeds of SSMS.

Also, if the NULL can be removed from output in both SSMS and the command line tool, that would be far better.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Search box in SSMS Object Explorer

Please add a search box in SSMS Object Explorer similar to what Visual Studio has in the Solution Explorer! It should include autocomplete and the robust filtering abilities (by database, by object type, by schema)

It is extremely slow to constantly have to navigate through the tree to find the objects you want. I just want to type where I want to go.

87 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Object Explorer doesn’t populate the entire tree in memory, unlike visual studio’s solution explorer. It wouldn’t know if database “MyDatabase” existed until you expanded the Databases node.
    There are third party plugins that provide this type of functionality, I believe, by downloading a bunch of data in the background and exposing a search.

13. Add a dark theme for SQL server management studio 2016

A massive white space is a strain on the eyes when working for long periods with Management studio. In Tools >> Options >> Environment >> General add a "Dark" colour theme.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. SSMS debugger should show the contents of TSQL table variables

Inability to see the contents of TSQL table-valued parameters or local table variables within the Auto/Local pane seriously impedes the ability to debug TSQL code that depends on them.

There are workarounds, for example this one...

http://stackoverflow.com/a/6748570/533120

...but they are tedious and tend to "eject" the developer from the current "mind-frame" exactly at the moment this ejection is most harmful - when trying to understand a complex bug.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add "Dark" color theme to SQL Server 2016 SSMS

Please, add "Dark" color theme to SQL Server 2016 SSMS.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. SSRS 2016 - KPI with profile dependencies

I try since several days to set a KPI for each user.

In fact, the user must have his number of remaining holidays. To do this, the dataset is filtering with the USERID.

But, it's not possible to refresh the KPI if the dataset contains a profile dependencies.

In my case, it is not a report but a KPI. A KPI is present at the connection of the user. The user does not need, as a report, click to launch an execution. So I can not use the user profile to display a KPI.

One topic is open in the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 14

<=-=Sep 8 2016 5:20PM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback – it is currently not possible to personalize KPI’s in Reporting Services, and this is implementation is by design currently. However, it is something we will consider for a future release based on customer feedback. I will mark this item as closed as by design, but we have this already on the list of features we’ll be considering to add in a future release.

Thanks,

The SQL BI Team

<=-=Feb 25 2017 7:34AM=-=>

Dear Vivien,

I’ve tried this as well – I just send the USERID to a Stored Procedure – and couldn’t get it to work – patched and tried everything… I hope it will come soon – its obvious that this is something you want?

Not that it is smart – but you can create a dataset per user and then a do a KPI for each user…

17. new virtual table: errors. It would analogous to the deleted and inserted tables

If a constraint violation happens in a DML statement and the input was a dataset, the offending data in the source is difficult to find. The statement fails and the datasource has to be searched (and possibly recreated) and checked for the violation.

Thread from the forum.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/3e17f8dc-9685-412b-8e76-94ad41536d5d

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 650

<=-=Dec 20 2012 1:14PM=-=>

Oh god yes. If you do this please be sure to include rows not inserted due to IGNORE_DUP_KEY settings on indexes and constraints.

<=-=Dec 20 2012 1:17PM=-=>

@Rob: No, please do not include those rows! If I’ve added IGNORE_DUP_KEY it’s because I want to ignore them. They’re NOT errors. (Okay, now we can see how difficult this feature would be to implement…)

<=-=Dec 20 2012 1:22PM=-=>

“It could also include a column for the constraint name that was violated.”

An error may be caused by something other than a constraint violation, e.g. a data type violation:

DECLARE @t TABLE (i INT)
    INSERT @t SELECT ‘abc’

… so I’d rather the virtual table have a column with the actual error message. (Which would include the constraint name anyway.) And maybe a column for the error number.

<=-=Dec 20 2012 1:24PM=-=>

Of course the last…

18. Assign default measure in an SSAS tabular model solution

It would be great to have an option to assign a calculated measure as a default measure. This feature is not available while creating a tabular model solution. Though there is an option while creating a multidimensional cube using SSAS.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. ssrs oracle connection

The Oracle Data Provider for .NET(ODP.NET) is a indenpendent component, it can be used in the SQL Server Reporting Services(SSRS) directly.

In order to use the ODP.NET in SSRS, we need to implement a custom Data Processing Extension using the ODP.NET.

Alternatively, since the .NET Framework Data Provider for Oracle is deprecated and will be removed in a future version of the .NET Framework, I would suggest we include the ODP.NET in the next release.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Provide a hint to force generation of a parallel plan

The SQL Server query optimizer often chooses a serial plan (with a significant estimated cost) where a parallel plan would execute much faster.
    Often, the desired parallel plan costs only very slightly higher than the serial version.

The root cause can usually be traced back to optimizer model limitations, other simplifying assumptions made by the costing component, unavoidable cardinality estimation errors in moderately complex plans,
    or the use of operations that do not allow us to give the optimizer good information about the cardinality and distribution of output values (e.g. CLR functions).

To be clear, the motivation for this suggestion…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 220

<=-=Dec 21 2011 10:50AM=-=>

Thanks for the suggestion. We will consider this for a future release. There is an undocumented trace flag 8649 to set the cost overhead of parallelism to 0. This may provide some relief, but is not a full solution. You can use it in a query hint in the form OPTION.

Best regards,
    Eric Hanson
    Program Manger
    SQL Server Query Processing

<=-=Dec 21 2011 3:39PM=-=>

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the very quick response. TF 8649 is indeed very helpful – perhaps we’re not so far away from seeing a PARALLEL_PLAN or MINDOP hint as I thought! Very cool, thanks again.

Paul

<=-=Feb 20 2014 1:02AM=-=>

Any update on this? a normal hint would be much better than some undocumented or short term workarounds.

<=-=Jun 8 2014 10:04PM=-=>

Any update? It’s been a couple of years….

<=-=Dec 1 2014 1:26AM=-=>

I have major problem…

← Previous 1 3 4 5 78 79
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base