SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SSMS 18.1 Crashes when Opening a Database Diagram

SSMS 18.1 crashes (and restarts) when opening a database diagram without any error message.

I have created several diagrams from scratch thinking it might have to do with old formatting, but this does not appear to be the case.

You can edit a diagram (adding dozens of tables) with no problem. It is the opening of the diagram that results in the crash.

Latest bits for SSMS and SQL Server 2017 installed today.

SQL Server Management Studio 15.0.18131.0
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 15.0.1347.0
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 10.0.18362.1
    Microsoft MSXML 3.0 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.11.18362.0
    Microsoft .NET…

125 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

67 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’d like to provide an update on this issue/

Unfortunately, it is proving to be pretty complex to deal with this this ancient technology that is used by SSMS. That’s why it’s being quite challenging for me to find a fix.

I’ll keep working on this, but sadly there is no fix in sight yet.

-Matteo

2. SSMS Crash when dragging table from Object explorer into new query window

Have just installed this version v18.1 and everytime I drag a table from Object explorer into new query window SSMS crashes, I have to kill it.
    I have no add-ins installed, have rebooted since installing.

O/s Win 10 15063.1387

117 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

57 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. SSMS 18.0 redraw issues when switching between multiple query windows

SSMS 18.0 redraw issues when switching between multiple query windows

Repro:
    1. Open SSMS
    2. Open a new query window and enter and execute a command, such as:
    SELECT @@SPID;
    3. Open a second query window
    4. Using your mouse, switch back and forth between the two open query windows by clicking on their tabs.
    5. After several clicks (five to ten?), the content of the first window (query and result pane) may appear to be displayed in the second window, but you can't interact with any of the text.
    6. Switching back and forth a few more times may…

120 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

70 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks everybody for providing the list. I’ve passed the info to the Visual Studio Team.

In the meanwhile, I have 2 more requests:
    1) If you happen to have Visual Studio 2017 (version 15.9.11 or greater), could you check and see if it shows the same behavior?
    2) If you happen to have SSMS 17.9.1 on the same machine, could you check and see if it shows the same behavior?

I’m hearing from folks here that “changing SSMS such that it disables h/w acceleration by default” is not a recommended thing to do… However, quite honestly, at this point, it may be the only option I can think about.. :-(

-Matteo

4. SSMS 18.2 default language display bug

Hi, SSMS 18.2 displays the default language for all logins as Arabic, and my default language is us_english.

I'm using language 1033 so this shouldn't display as Arabic. I tried with a few servers - all the same. This is across all versions of the database engine from 2008, 2012, 2014, 2017 etc.

querying sys.server_principals shows this isn't actually the case so this seems to be display bug in SSMS 18.2

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  Matteo Taveggia responded

Thanks for the reporting the issue.
    This was something that was accidentally changed in SSMS 18.2. It only affects what you see in the UI (still wrong, of course.. and we shall fix it).

5. Unable to deploy SSIS packages from Visual Studio 2017 (15.8.0)

The latest version of Visual Studio 2017 (15.8.0) appears to have introduced a bug preventing deployment of SSIS project files.

When attempting to connect to a server the deployment wizard returns the following error:

TITLE: SQL Server Integration Services
    ------------------------------

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.IntegrationServicesEnum, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The parameter is incorrect. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070057 (E_INVALIDARG)) (mscorlib)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

The parameter is incorrect. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070057 (E_INVALIDARG)) (mscorlib)

BUTTONS:

OK

421 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  88 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. SSMS 18.0 GA can't be installed

When I'm trying to install SSMS 18.0 GA, I get error: "SSMS can only be upgraded by installing the package of the matching language. Please, use the matching version of the installer, or uninstall the current version of SSMS and run SSMS setup again." And I'm not alone: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/16d0e279-6ff4-4d5f-ad0a-5039235f03b9/ssms-2018-setup-blocked?forum=sqltools

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m looking into this issue.

In the meanwhile, could you take a look at the SSMS setup logs (%TEMP%\SSMSSetup\SSMS-Setup-ENU_20190430231104.log). I’m interested in the lines in the range 133-216. Could you share those (tip: have a look at the lines and sanitize them, if you think they may contain sensible information?

Also, if you could share the output of:
    reg query “HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio” /reg:32 /s

And, finally, to unblock yourself:
    1) Make sure you don’t have any previous version (RC, Preview) of SSMS 18.0 installed (check Add/Remove programs; if you do, uninstall it)
    2) Make sure “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 18” does not exist (if it does, the delete it)
    3) Delete the mentioned registry key (e.g. by running from an elevated cmd prompt:
    reg DELETE “HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio” /reg:32)
    4) Retry setup
    Please, let…

7. Wrong Results When Selecting SQLServer2016 JOIN DATETIME2(3) with DATETIME

I'm getting unexpected results when joining between DATETIME2(3) column to DATETIME column with PK , in SQLServer 2016.

The details are :

I have the following table:

CREATE TABLE DATETIME_TEST (
    [DATETIME] DATETIME NOT NULL,
    [DATETIME2_3] DATETIME2(3));
    ALTER TABLE DATETIME_TEST ADD CONSTRAINT PK_DATETIME_TEST PRIMARY KEY ([DATETIME]);
    INSERT INTO DATETIME_TEST
    ( [DATETIME],[DATETIME2_3])
    VALUES
    ('20020202 02:02:02.000', '20020202 02:02:02.000' ),
    ('20020202 02:02:02.003', '20020202 02:02:02.003' ),
    ('20020202 02:02:02.007', '20020202 02:02:02.007' ),
    ('2019-04-28 07:23:29.447', '2019-04-28 07:23:29.447' )
    ;

SELECT * FROM DATETIME_TEST WHERE CONVERT(DATETIME2(3), [DATETIME]) = [DATETIME2_3]
    The results :

DATETIME DATETIME2_3
    2002-02-02 02:02:02.000 2002-02-02 02:02:02.000
    2002-02-02 02:02:02.003 2002-02-02 02:02:02.003
    2002-02-02 02:02:02.007 2002-02-02 02:02:02.007
    2019-04-28…

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Update produces impossible result

The following produces an illogical result:

DECLARE @Target table
    (
    c1 integer PRIMARY KEY,
    c2 integer NOT NULL,
    c3 integer NOT NULL
    );

DECLARE @Source table
    (
    c1 integer NULL,
    c2 integer NULL,
    c3 integer NULL,

INDEX c CLUSTERED (c1)
    );

INSERT @Target
    (c1, c2, c3)
    VALUES
    (1, 0, 0);

INSERT @Source
    (c1, c2, c3)
    VALUES
    (1, 2, NULL),
    (1, NULL, 3),
    (1, 4, 4);

UPDATE T
    SET T.c2 = S.c2,
    T.c3 = S.c3
    FROM @Target AS T
    JOIN @Source AS S
    ON S.c1 = T.c1;

SELECT * FROM @Target AS T;

Result:

c1 c2 c3
    1 2 3

The…

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Full text search host restarts repeatedly under Linux (SQL Server 2019 rc 1)

Under Linux, after enabling full text search in a table and during the population of the index, one sees frequent messages in the log

Error '0x80004005' occurred during full-text index population for table or indexed view 'mytable' (table or indexed view ID '629173587', database ID '5'), full-text key value '5567999'. Attempt will be made to reindex it.

In the errorlog there are many repeated messages like
    The fulltext filter daemon host (FDHost) process has stopped abnormally. This can occur if an incorrectly configured or malfunctioning linguistic component, such as a wordbreaker, stemmer or filter has caused an irrecoverable error during…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. SSMS 18.2 crash on Extended Events properties form

Opening a "New session…." (not the wizard) of extended events (or a previously existing one) and browsing the pages (Events, Data Storage, Advanced) hangs the windows and/or directly crashes/terminates SSMS with no error message, specially on the Events page.

Application logs shows the crash as an unhandled exception:

Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Event ID: 1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level: Error
    Description:
    Faulting application name: Ssms.exe, version: 2019.150.18142.0, time stamp: 0x5d3573be
    Faulting module name: System.Windows.Forms.ni.dll, version: 4.8.3752.0, time stamp: 0x5c7a2429
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00c412df
    Faulting process id: 0x24a4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d5433d9e072f9d
    Faulting application path: C:\Program…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. SSMS 18.0 tabs don't display proper contents

I'm getting this CONSTANTLY on my new install of SSMS 18.0, and it's DANGEROUS. I'll open several tabs, and when I switch from one tab to another, the contents of the window don't change... I'm still looking at the old tab's contents with the new tab selected. It doesn't ALWAYS happen, but it happens at least half the time... FREQUENTLY. Further, I can close a tab, and the contents of the closed tab will still display under the new "top most" tab. This can lead to making changes to the wrong file, or being confused, and losing code. This is…

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. sys.fn_hadr_backup_is_preferred_replica causes error 41070 in SQL Server 2017 CU15

After installing CU15 on a SQL 2017 2-Node Always On Availability Group Cluster (Windows Server Failover Clustering Mode), sys.fn_hadr_backup_is_preferred_replica throws the following exception when run against a database that is in an availability group:

Msg 41070 - Configuration data for the availability group with Windows Server Failover Clustering (WSFC) resource ID 'GUID' is not found in the WSFC data store. The availability group may have been dropped, or a previous CREATE AVAILABILITY GROUP or DROP AVAILABILITY GROUP operation has failed. Please use DROP AVAILABILITY GROUP command to clean up previously failed operations before retrying the current operation.

Uninstalling CU15 (reverting…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. intellisense memory leak in management studio

When working with a "larger" multi alter procedure statement, a memory leak occurs with IntelliSense when there are a few errors present in the file - A normal occurrence when making wholesale changes or writing a new procedure. SSMS Memory usage at startup is under 100MB, and once the race condition starts, CPU usage rises to a constant 25-40% and consumes 30-50MB of memory a second until it reaches about 2800MB. At this point, SSMS stops responding until it releases memory, but the race condition is still there. The cycle continues with each time SSMS stops responding, when it releases…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Database diagram kills SSMS

When i want to open an existing diagram in SSMS 18.2 on a database which is on compativity level 100 SSMS closes and restarts immediately. I also tried it with a new diagram - this seems to work.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. SSMS 18.2 Edit Job Step hangs

In SSMS 18.2 when we edit a job step under Job properties it takes minutes to open the edit box

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. SSMS 18.2 - Can't copy text from find and replace window

When I try to copy text from the find and replace window it fails with the message: "Unsaved documents cannot be cut or copied to the clipboard from the Miscellaneous Files project. You must save the unsaved document(s) before cutting or copying them." See attached screenshot.

Text in the find/find and replace windows should always be copyable, regardless of whether the document has been saved or not.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. SqlPackage.exe - CREATE USER [<name>] FOR EXTERNAL PROVIDER;

CREATE USER [<name>] FROM EXTERNAL PROVIDER; is the correct syntax for creating database users from Azure AD.

SqlPackage.exe generates CREATE USER [<name>] FOR EXTERNAL PROVIDER;. Executing this creates an invalid database user.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. save passwords v18

SSMS v18.0 doesn't save password properly for each server. Save the password from one server, then attempt to connect to another server with a save password and it will fail. Using SQL authentication and version 15.0.18118.0 and migrated my settings from SSMS v17.9.1.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Self referencing scalar function nesting level exceeded when adding a select

Bug report on Self referencing scalar functions following this question, answered by Paul White here:

https://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/239324/self-referencing-scalar-function-nesting-level-exceeded-when-adding-a-select

In short a self referencing scalar function's references are evaluated when it should not be, resulting in an infinite loop in certain circumstances.

Reproducing the issue:

CREATE FUNCTION dbo.test6(@i int)
    RETURNS INT
    AS
    BEGIN
    RETURN(
    SELECT TOP 1
    CASE
    WHEN @i = 1 THEN 1
    WHEN @i = 2 THEN 2
    WHEN @i = 3 THEN (SELECT dbo.test6(1) + dbo.test6(2))
    END
    )END;

SELECT dbo.test6(3);

Resulting in the error:
    Maximum stored procedure, function, trigger, or view nesting level exceeded (limit 32).

Part of the answer…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. TokenAndPermUserStore grows for each sp_setapprole or EXECUTE AS USER

sp_setapprole & sp_unsetapprole or EXECUTE AS & REVERT cause TokenAndPermUserStore to grow to 2GB and performance to degrade when run in a loop (simulating a connection pool that performs these when getting or returning a connection)

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldatabaseengine/thread/19e17e27-ee75-4e45-b8af-b53b5ceca93b

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 258 259
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base