SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SSMS 18.1 Crashes when Opening a Database Diagram

SSMS 18.1 crashes (and restarts) when opening a database diagram without any error message.

I have created several diagrams from scratch thinking it might have to do with old formatting, but this does not appear to be the case.

You can edit a diagram (adding dozens of tables) with no problem. It is the opening of the diagram that results in the crash.

Latest bits for SSMS and SQL Server 2017 installed today.

SQL Server Management Studio 15.0.18131.0
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 15.0.1347.0
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 10.0.18362.1
    Microsoft MSXML 3.0 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.11.18362.0
    Microsoft .NET…

325 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

184 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Good news (I hope)!

I was finally able to make progress on this. On the machine with the fix, I was able to open a diagram created by SSMS 17.9.1 (on a different machine). The same diagram opened with 18.3.1 resulted in a crash.

I’ll do more testing in the next few days and go over all the comments on this page to make sure I capture all the scenarios and make sure they are really fixed.

It’s looking good, I really hope… :)

-Matteo

2. SSMS 18.0 redraw issues when switching between multiple query windows

SSMS 18.0 redraw issues when switching between multiple query windows

Repro:
    1. Open SSMS
    2. Open a new query window and enter and execute a command, such as:

SELECT @@SPID;

1. Open a second query window

2. Using your mouse, switch back and forth between the two open query windows by clicking on their tabs.

3. After several clicks (five to ten?), the content of the first window (query and result pane) may appear to be displayed in the second window, but you can't interact with any of the text.

4. Switching back and forth a few more times may clear up the issue…
    238 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

85 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks everybody for providing the list. I’ve passed the info to the Visual Studio Team.

In the meanwhile, I have 2 more requests:
    1) If you happen to have Visual Studio 2017 (version 15.9.11 or greater), could you check and see if it shows the same behavior?
    2) If you happen to have SSMS 17.9.1 on the same machine, could you check and see if it shows the same behavior?

I’m hearing from folks here that “changing SSMS such that it disables h/w acceleration by default” is not a recommended thing to do… However, quite honestly, at this point, it may be the only option I can think about.. :-(

-Matteo

3. SSMS Crash when dragging table from Object explorer into new query window

Have just installed this version v18.1 and everytime I drag a table from Object explorer into new query window SSMS crashes, I have to kill it.
    I have no add-ins installed, have rebooted since installing.

O/s Win 10 15063.1387

123 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

58 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. SSMS 18.0 GA can't be installed

When I'm trying to install SSMS 18.0 GA, I get error: "SSMS can only be upgraded by installing the package of the matching language. Please, use the matching version of the installer, or uninstall the current version of SSMS and run SSMS setup again." And I'm not alone: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/16d0e279-6ff4-4d5f-ad0a-5039235f03b9/ssms-2018-setup-blocked?forum=sqltools

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

33 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m looking into this issue.

In the meanwhile, could you take a look at the SSMS setup logs (%TEMP%\SSMSSetup\SSMS-Setup-ENU_20190430231104.log). I’m interested in the lines in the range 133-216. Could you share those (tip: have a look at the lines and sanitize them, if you think they may contain sensible information?

Also, if you could share the output of:
    reg query “HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio” /reg:32 /s

And, finally, to unblock yourself:
    1) Make sure you don’t have any previous version (RC, Preview) of SSMS 18.0 installed (check Add/Remove programs; if you do, uninstall it)
    2) Make sure “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 18” does not exist (if it does, the delete it)
    3) Delete the mentioned registry key (e.g. by running from an elevated cmd prompt:
    reg DELETE “HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio” /reg:32)
    4) Retry setup
    Please, let…

5. Unable to deploy SSIS packages from Visual Studio 2017 (15.8.0)

The latest version of Visual Studio 2017 (15.8.0) appears to have introduced a bug preventing deployment of SSIS project files.

When attempting to connect to a server the deployment wizard returns the following error:

TITLE: SQL Server Integration Services

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.IntegrationServicesEnum, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The parameter is incorrect. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070057 (E_INVALIDARG)) (mscorlib)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

The parameter is incorrect. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070057 (E_INVALIDARG)) (mscorlib)

BUTTONS:

OK

436 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  90 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Enable SSIS Double Hop authentication to work with Windows Defender Credential Guard

Windows Defender Credential Guard enabled machines only allow Kerberos Constrained delegation. SSIS double hop authentication will not work with either full delegation or constrained delegation once Credential Guard is enabled. Connecting to an Integration Services catalog server and executing a package from a Credential Guard enabled client will fail with “NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON”.

Enabling SSIS to work with constrained delegation is imperative for us since the Credential Guard security feature is enabled in our environment and I am certain that many out there are dealing with the same issue.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Wrong Results When Selecting SQLServer2016 JOIN DATETIME2(3) with DATETIME

I'm getting unexpected results when joining between DATETIME2(3) column to DATETIME column with PK , in SQLServer 2016.

The details are :

I have the following table:

CREATE TABLE DATETIME_TEST (

[DATETIME] DATETIME   NOT NULL,

[DATETIME2_3] DATETIME2(3));

ALTER TABLE DATETIMETEST ADD CONSTRAINT PKDATETIMETEST PRIMARY KEY ([DATETIME]);
    INSERT INTO DATETIME
    TEST
    ( [DATETIME],[DATETIME2_3])
    VALUES
    ('20020202 02:02:02.000', '20020202 02:02:02.000' ),
    ('20020202 02:02:02.003', '20020202 02:02:02.003' ),
    ('20020202 02:02:02.007', '20020202 02:02:02.007' ),
    ('2019-04-28 07:23:29.447', '2019-04-28 07:23:29.447' )
    ;

SELECT * FROM DATETIMETEST WHERE CONVERT(DATETIME2(3), [DATETIME]) = [DATETIME23]
    The results :

DATETIME DATETIME2_3
    2002-02-02 02:02:02.000 2002-02-02 02:02:02.000
    2002-02-02 02:02:02.003 2002-02-02…

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Update produces impossible result

The following produces an illogical result:

DECLARE @Target table
    (

c1 integer PRIMARY KEY, 

c2 integer NOT NULL,
    c3 integer NOT NULL

);

DECLARE @Source table
    (

c1 integer NULL, 

c2 integer NULL,
    c3 integer NULL,

INDEX c CLUSTERED (c1)

);

INSERT @Target

(c1, c2, c3) 

VALUES

(1, 0, 0);

INSERT @Source

(c1, c2, c3) 

VALUES

(1, 2, NULL),

(1, NULL, 3),
    (1, 4, 4);

UPDATE T
    SET T.c2 = S.c2,

T.c3 = S.c3

FROM @Target AS T
    JOIN @Source AS S

ON S.c1 = T.c1;

SELECT * FROM @Target AS T;

Result:

c1 c2 c3
    1 2 3

The…

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Fix SSMS open diagram crash

1) Create diagram
    2) Close SSMS
    3) Open SSMS
    4) Open diagram
    5) SSMS silence crash

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. SSMS 18.2 crash on Extended Events properties form

Opening a "New session…." (not the wizard) of extended events (or a previously existing one) and browsing the pages (Events, Data Storage, Advanced) hangs the windows and/or directly crashes/terminates SSMS with no error message, specially on the Events page.

Application logs shows the crash as an unhandled exception:

Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Event ID: 1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level: Error
    Description:
    Faulting application name: Ssms.exe, version: 2019.150.18142.0, time stamp: 0x5d3573be
    Faulting module name: System.Windows.Forms.ni.dll, version: 4.8.3752.0, time stamp: 0x5c7a2429
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00c412df
    Faulting process id: 0x24a4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d5433d9e072f9d
    Faulting application path: C:\Program…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. SQL Server 2019 RC1 - Secure Enclaves Bug

When trying to configure Secure Enclaves within 2019 - Allow enclave computations is not an option for us.

This was apparently resolved in CPT 3.1 however we are still experiencing this issue.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. SSMS 18.0 tabs don't display proper contents

I'm getting this CONSTANTLY on my new install of SSMS 18.0, and it's DANGEROUS. I'll open several tabs, and when I switch from one tab to another, the contents of the window don't change... I'm still looking at the old tab's contents with the new tab selected. It doesn't ALWAYS happen, but it happens at least half the time... FREQUENTLY. Further, I can close a tab, and the contents of the closed tab will still display under the new "top most" tab. This can lead to making changes to the wrong file, or being confused, and losing code. This is…

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Full text search host restarts repeatedly under Linux (SQL Server 2019 rc 1)

Under Linux, after enabling full text search in a table and during the population of the index, one sees frequent messages in the log

Error '0x80004005' occurred during full-text index population for table or indexed view 'mytable' (table or indexed view ID '629173587', database ID '5'), full-text key value '5567999'. Attempt will be made to reindex it.

In the errorlog there are many repeated messages like
    The fulltext filter daemon host (FDHost) process has stopped abnormally. This can occur if an incorrectly configured or malfunctioning linguistic component, such as a wordbreaker, stemmer or filter has caused an irrecoverable error during…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. SSMS 18.2 Edit Job Step hangs

In SSMS 18.2 when we edit a job step under Job properties it takes minutes to open the edit box

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Bug in sys.identity_columns: does not honor read uncommitted, causes blocking

There's a bug in sys.identity_columns: it ignores requests for read uncommitted. This means if someone's rebuilding a large index on an identity column, queries get blocked.

To reproduce it, create a table with a clustered index on an identity column, and rebuild it:

CREATE TABLE dbo.Test (Id INT IDENTITY(1,1), CONSTRAINT PKId PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED (Id));
    GO
    BEGIN TRAN
    ALTER INDEX PK
    Id ON dbo.Test REBUILD WITH (ONLINE = OFF);
    GO

Then in another window, try to query sys.identity_columns with dirty reads:

SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL READ UNCOMMITTED;
    SELECT * FROM sys.identity_columns WITH (NOLOCK);

(I know, those two isolation level…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. SQL Server 2019 Master Data Service: Number editing fails

Upgraded SQL 2017 MDS to SQL 2019 RTM. Editing an decimal value of an entity fails when regional language is set to german. Can't use "," as an decimal seperator, When language set to an english then editing works fine when using "." as decimal seperator

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Can't create DACPAC of a SQL Server 2019 DB with External ODBC Datasources

when trying to extract a DACPAC for a SQL Server 2019 database with external datasources that use the new ODBC functionality in Polybase you get the following error (this happens both in Visual Studio 2019 and SSMS 18.3.1):

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

Could not extract package from specified database.
    Error 0: An error occurred while attempting to reverse engineer elements of type Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql.SchemaModel.SqlExternalDataSource: Unsupported external data source type '6'.
    (Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Unsupported external data source type '6'. (Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql)

BUTTONS:

OK

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. SQL Server 2019 fails to install alongside previous versions of SQL Server

Unable to install SQL Server 2019 with previous version of SQL Server installed. SQL Server 2019 fails to install, with just installing Database Engine if previous versions of SQL Server are installed on the machine. Install of SQL Server 2019 passes with no other versions of SQL Server installed on the machine.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Functions: return strings in else if are cut depending on other string returns

Hello,

after an upgrade to the newest docker version of SQL Server 19 (mcr.microsoft.com/mssql/server:2019-GA-ubuntu-16.04), previously we used SQL Server 2017 (mcr.microsoft.com/mssql/server:2017-latest), a function does not return the correct value anymore.

Here is a simple Version of the function, which can reproduce the problem:

ALTER FUNCTION [dbo].[testFunction] (@pVar nvarchar(50)) RETURNS nvarchar(50)
    AS
    BEGIN
    IF @pVar = N'a' begin

return(N'a123456789');

end ELSE IF @pVar = N'b' begin

return(N'b12');

end

return(@pVar);
    END

If you call following function with "SELECT [dbo].testFunction" the return is "a12", but i would expect "a123456789".

It seems that the cut is dependent on the following return value,…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Unable to deply Tabular model in 1500 compatibilty, but in 1400 works

I can't deploy my model to SSAS 2019 RTM in compatibility level 1500. If I change to 1400, I can deploy it without problems to the very same instance of SSAS 2019.

Error is from events log: The description for Event ID 22 from source MSOLAP$TABULAR cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 266 267
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories