SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Improve visual analysis of the Columnstore Indexes by adding an option to highlight the iterators executing with Batch Execution M

Current performance analysis of the complex execution plans with Columnstore Indexes, requiring to open each of the important iterators and consult its properties in order to find whether its running with Batch Execution Mode.

Please consider providing a visual option to highlight the iterators that are running with Batch Mode within the execution plan.
    It can be something simple as a default "Lightning Bolt" icon on the iterators within the execution plan, to something more collaborate as a right-mouse click that will highlight the batch iterators.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Expose TLS Protocol Version in sys.dm_exec_connections

My organisation would like to start switching clients over to TLS 1.2. There does not appear to be a way inside SQL Server to determine which version of TLS the clients/server was negotiated. Though it may be possible to crack open the network packets from each application this would be an arduous task. Being able to easily determine the TLS version would enable administrators to easily identify clients/applications using the older protocol and update them accordingly. Security could then be improved by disabling older versions of the protocol.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. AT TIME ZONE way too slow

AT TIME ZONE shells out to Windows to perform time zone conversions. This process takes way too long when working with more than a few rows (see this blog post for details: http://sqlsoldier.net/wp/sqlserver/timezonesareadragseriously). The time zone info does not change frequently. The info from Windows required to make the conversions should be cached within SQL Server to speed up this processing.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. When using UTF-8, varchar(10) should mean 10 characters not 10 bytes

When using UTF-8 in SQL Server 2019 and later, specifying a column as varchar(10) means that it can store up to 10 bytes internally within the database, not up to 10 characters. That means that it might be limited to as few as 2 characters.

Developers need to be able to specify a maximum number of characters per column. There is basically no use in limiting the number of storage bytes within the database. What possible functionality could that provide?

And more importantly, how are we expecting developers to limit the number of characters in a column? Adding check constraints…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add T-SQL constant declaration

Hi,

Rather than hard-code values throughout a stored procedure, I try to use descriptive variable names and set the value in the declaration at the beginning of the code. For example:

-- Constants --
    DECLARE @FALSE bit = 0

,@TRUE bit = 1;

SELECT <column_list>
    FROM <table>
    WHERE <column> = @TRUE;

This helps to make code self-documenting and more understandable. However, it probably has the drawback of not being as efficient when it comes to query plan determination/optimization.

If there was the ability to declare variables as constant values, then the query optimizer could know these values are unchanging, and…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Please add the Scroll bar to the Parameters section in SSRS Report Manager like in SSDT

When viewing a SSRS report on a device with a smaller screen, such as an iPad or iPhone, if there are several parameters, it takes up a lot of space, and with SSRS 2016, it does not scroll out of view - only the report section scrolls.
    Could you please provide scroll bar for parameters section in Report Manager like in SSDT.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Major Columnstore Performance Enhancement: ALTER INDEX REBUILD WITH (ORDER BY (ColumnA, ColumnB, ...))

Greetings SQL Server Columnstore Team,

SQL Server's columnstore performance is highly dependent upon rowsegment elimination. We have been working with mssql16 and competing product memsql to prototype a financial timeseries tick database. We were able to get mssql16 to outperform memsql, however, it took substantial data re-load engineering on our part that we think would be better made available in the ALTER INDEX REBUILD command.

// sample schema:
    CREATE TABLE trades(

SecurityID int,

DateTimeKey datetime2(7),
    Price float,
    Size float,
    Source char(4),
    ConditionCode char(4)

);

In mssql16, we partition this table on the datetime2 field (quarterly partitions). Nearly all of our…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. DacFx "pre-pre" script to run before schema comparison

There's scenarios where during a DACPAC publish, you need to clean up data or manually make certain schema changes prior to the schema comparison / script generation phase.

In this design, the high-level order of operations would be:
    1) Run "pre-pre" script
    2) Compare schemas and generate remainder of the script
    3) Run pre-deployment script
    4) Apply schema changes
    5) Run post-deployment script

For example, support a certain schema operation was very time consuming to deploy as generated by the SSDT. A script author could use domain knowledge to manually modify the schema in a certain way to avoid the…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. SSRS 2016 Web Portal Customization (also missing RepotingServices.css)

Hello Connect Team,

I am trying to change the user experience of an SSRS 2016 Web Portal by "hiding" or "customizing" popover menus:

If I assign the lowest possible role to a user ("View Report"), they are still able to see and change "Parameters" on that report.

We want to provide a simple and streamlined experience for over 200 users to only be able to:
    1. Open a report
    2. View History
    3. Add to favorite
    Hopefully without the need of multiple clicks and only one popover menu.

Based on my research, In order to accomplish this we need to…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 25

<=-=Jun 26 2017 2:07AM=-=>

I need that css file, too. Just want to change the color of the header. Not everyone want to licence a Enterprise-Edition for branding their SSRS. And in prior version it was possible.

<=-=Jul 21 2017 6:18AM=-=>

I would like the ability to add a link to my SSRS home page (https://ourreportserver/reports) – like a link to Logout or back to our corporate site.

<=-=Sep 13 2017 10:58AM=-=>

Just voted.

<=-=Nov 15 2017 8:42PM=-=>

Also looking to migrate from SQL2014 to 2017 Express but not being able to continue with my customisations will probably halt that progress.

10. Support for regular expressions

Good evening, I recently started a new position at a company running on MS SQL Server. I work in the business of data transformation and constantly needing to cleanse data from various data providers. I came from an Oracle based tech company and one thing I really miss is the use of regular expressions within SQL statements. For example, Oracle has the regexp_replace function which is very powerful. I know there are functions in SQL like PATINDEX but it's nowhere near as powerful. Is there possiblity of getting this available in SQL server?

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Query Store - Filter on an object name or an object id for Query Store

I would suggest adding a filter on an object name or an object id for Query Store. It would be very useful thing for troubleshooting and optimisation tasks.
    Now to find out a cause of bad performance of a stored procedure we have to query sys.querystorequery and then run Tracked Queries report for each received query_id. For a more or less complicated SP it becomes a really exhausting task.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Enable JSON path wildcards in JSON_QUERY

Please enable JSON path wildcards in JSON_QUERY. A minimal example is in the attached text file (odd that .sql files are not allowed).

A path such as '$.Dims[*].Name' is a valid path that should return all "Name" properties across the list of items in "Dims" but SQL Server errors instead of returning the data.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add logging events for Query Store entering the ERROR state

As of right now, it's impossible to know why a Query Store enters the ERROR state. Microsoft's documentation only states that it happens due to "internal problems", but we don't know what these problems are, nor which one of these problems is the real cause for when a Query Store enters the ERROR state. It would be extremely helpful if, for example, there were extended events fired when a Query Store enters the ERROR state, with the reason for the error being part of the event data.

While Microsoft's documentation states that this happens only extremely rarely, I've personally seen…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. OPENCSV function

Inspired by https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server/suggestions/32647648-add-for-csv-to-facilitate-csv-export it would be wonderful if an "OPENCSV" function could exist with similar functionality to the OPENJSON function.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add sftp to SSIS

Add sftp component to SSIS

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Enhance the "AT TIME ZONE" functionality to allow specifying "use server local time" instead of an explicit time zone name.

Enhance the "AT TIME ZONE" functionality to allow specifying "use server local time" instead of an explicit time zone name. Right now you need to know the server's time zone when using the AT TIME ZONE functionality.

Something like:

DECLARE @TZ NVARCHAR(100) = 'Server Time Zone'
    DECLARE @D DATETIMEOFFSET = '2017-01-01T00:00:00+00:00'
    SELECT @D AT TIME ZONE @Tz

Right now you need to know the server's time zone (e.g., 'Eastern Standard Time'). This isn't always know when you are installing software around the world.

I don't care about the syntax.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Polybase support for avro compressed format

Polybase currently supports delimeted text, rcfile, orc and parquet formats. Please add support for avro compressed format.

Currently people that stored their data primarily in avro format has to copy their files to one of the supported formats to be able to use the files on Polybase.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Regex functionality in pattern matching

It would be good to be able to have full regex capabilities when using LIKE or Patindex.

It would also be good to have a regex table function that returned matches.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 419

<=-=Mar 8 2007 3:20AM=-=>

I agree with the functionality request, but not the suggested approach of enhancing the LIKE, PATINDEX or adding a table function.

This functionality should be implemented by supporting the SQL99 SIMILAR predicate (ISO 9075 feature T141, ISO 9075-2-1999 section 8.6).

<=-=Mar 21 2007 1:23PM=-=>

I echo the wish to not overload LIKE or PATINDEX. Personally I don’t like SIMILAR either, though. How about a REGEX function with REGEX somewhere in the name?

<=-=Aug 20 2007 10:21PM=-=>

Hello,

First of all i would like to thank all of you for sending your feedback to us. We are definitely going to consider adding this capability in the query language in a future release. However, until then have you considered using CLR integration for this purpose. .NET has the capability and it is very simple to use .NET to add this capability…

19. Allow Resource Governor to control the CAP of the TOTAL IO in MB/s

We need to define the maximum total disk throughput (MB/second instead of IOPS) per Resource Pool and to be able to cap the total maximum throughput on the SQL Server Instance level in Resource Governor.

The current offering of MAXIOPSPER_VOLUME allows us to control one common value across a number of different volumes, where IOPs is not a very constant, since SQL Server does a wide range of different block sized operations.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Turn off "Completion time" message

Allow users to turn off the "Completion time" that has been added in the messages to track when a given query completed its execution.

I OFTEN use the messages area to print important information that I use elsewhere. This unnecessarily added message causes problems.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base