SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add built-in support for regular expressions in T-SQL

LIKE is very limited in what it can differentiate. The CLR has much more robust handling for regular expressions, but it's hard to get to from T-SQL.

Could we add built-in functionality in T-SQL to do regular expression pattern matching?

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 54

<=-=Sep 4 2007 12:29PM=-=>

If this is considered for a future version of SQL Server, please implement it according to the ISO SQL standard. In other words, implement the SQL Standard , which provides regular expression support through the operator [NOT] SIMILAR TO, which in the standard remains separate from LIKE.

<=-=Sep 5 2007 7:05AM=-=>

Like Steve, I would also like to stress that any implementation should be as per ANSI (SIMILAR predicate). The CLR functionality is not a relevant design consideration.

<=-=Oct 15 2007 8:43AM=-=>

This is a request we’ve heard a lot, and it’s of obvious value. I can’t promise when we’ll get to it—-it’s doubtful for this release—-but this is certainly on our radar.

Cheers,
    -Isaac

<=-=Mar 24 2010 2:54PM=-=>

Hi,
    I have resolved this request as duplicate of feedback item below:

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/261342/regex-functionality-in-pattern-matching?wa=wsignin1.0

Umachandar, SQL Programmability Team

<=-=Mar 24 2010…
  2. Replace the import wizard with Power Query

Instead of using the outdated import wizard (not the new one that was released recently in SSMS), a new one should be created that leverages the Power Query engine (aka the M language) to import data into SQL Server.

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Dark theme in SSMS 18 should extend to all windows/panels

SSMS 18 Preview has a dark theme, but it doesn't extend to all of the windows/panels (Object Explorer and Template browser to name a few). The contrast is glaring, and hopefully this is something that is addressed either for the next preview or at least by GA.

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. The Scalar Expression function would speed performance while keeping the benefits of functions.

SQL Server scalar User-Defined Functions (UDFs) have a performance problem that could be solved with an enhancement to the SQL Server database engine. Because SQL Server must execute each function on every row, using any function incurs a cursor like performance penalty.� However, since many UDFs are simple, they can often be converted to a single expression.� This suggestion proposes that a new type of UDF, the Scalar Expression UDF, be added to SQL Server.� Doing so would often eliminate the performance penalty paid when using scalar UDFs and allow them to be used more widely.� Using UDFs has the…

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 407

<=-=Oct 11 2007 4:28AM=-=>

ANS SQL 99 actualy defines a syntax (section 11.49) for function definition that can be used for an inline scalar function (body consisting of a single RETURN statement) – inlining being an implementation rather than a definitional issue. There are other database products (e.g. IBM DB2 UDB) that already support this, so going the ANS way would assist portability.

The enhancement is clearly necessary.

<=-=Oct 11 2007 8:45AM=-=>

In other programming languages, this might be a macro expansion, where an include file contains the macro, which expands into inline code at compile time. (I believe that this was discussed as a possibility in the very early days of Yukon.) In any case, however implemented, Inline Scalar UDF would be a major improvement over the speed-bump that exists now.

I was going to post this myself, but happily add my vote to the existing…

5. Parallelize Script Update Mode

When moving SQL Server between Cumulative Updates, Script Update Mode runs against each database on the instance in series. This works fine on smaller instances, but with hundreds or even thousands of databases on an instance, this can add a lot of time (several hours) to the process of starting the instance for the first time with the new CU.

Suggestion: Run Script Update Mode in parallel, up to the MAXDOP setting for the instance.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Option to store query store data in a filegroup other than PRIMARY

Query store data is incredibly useful but depending on activity and settings it can grow to quite a large size. I would like an option to store this data on a filegroup other than PRIMARY. This would allow discretion regarding storage used, reduce the impact to recovery times and give DBAs more flexibility in managing query store data.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 57

<=-=Feb 8 2017 2:13PM=-=>

We disallow ALL use of the PRIMARY filegroup on the premise that any use of PRIMARY is unauthorized, and PRIMARY is set to a small size with no autogrow. Since the Query Store on very active servers with non-parameterized workloads grows very, very fast, setting it to a filegroup whose data file is on a specific LUN (based on speed and cost, i.e. a specific storage tier) is vital.

<=-=Apr 2 2017 7:56AM=-=>

Thank you for taking time to post this issue! We understand that this could be an important issue for you.

We get a lot of feedback regarding PRIMARY filegroup from the field and many MVPs. �
    This item is high on our priory list, but unfortunately, we do not plan to include a fix for this issue in the upcoming release. Although, we might include it as an improvement in future…

7. DIVIDE function in T-SQL

The languages MDX and DAX both have a DIVIDE function, which has the following syntax:

DIVIDE(<numerator>, <denominator> [,<alternateresult>])
    The alternate result is specified as the result when a division by zero is encountered. If it isn't specified, NULL is returned.

This would be a fine addition to the T-SQL language.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Make is possible to retrieve all error messages in a CATCH handler

When you trap an error in a CATCH handler, you can use the functions error_message, error_number etc to get information about the error. This works well, as long as only one error message is produced. However, there are situations where multiple error message. In this case you can only retrieve one error message, and with a bit of bad luck this is only a generic error message. A typical example is BACKUP-RESTORE:
    BEGIN TRY
    BACKUP DATABASE msdb TO DISK = 'X:\nosuchdisk\dxx.bak'
    END TRY
    BEGIN CATCH
    PRINT error_message()
    END CATCH

The output is "BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally." The message that…

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. STRING_SPLIT Add Option to Return Row Number

It would be really handy if the STRING_SPLIT function had an option/switch to return the row number in order to be able to use other windowing functions on the resultset.
    I found I still had to result to a CTE effectively making my own string splitting function which included the row number to then be able to apply other windowing functions such as a running total.

This code helps to highlight the issue. In trying to apply a running total the results have to be ordered and the position of Susan and Michael is switched. Had a Row Number field…

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Azure AD authentication in Import Export wizard in SSMS

Ssms 2017 doesn't have the capability to use Azure AD authentication in Import/Export wizard.
    We have stopped providing Sql authenticated users to support people, we are using AD authentication which works seamlessly. However there is one more place in SSMS which requires the functionality.

When users try to use import export wizard they dont have possibility to use Azure AD authentication instead they need to use a SQL authentication which completely ruins our security setup and going back to the old way of accessing Azure Sql db.

Can the SSMS team add this little functionality so that it does in…

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Named Parameters for User Defined Functions without EXEC

Currently, stored procedures and scalar user-defined functions invoked with the EXEC keyword support named parameters.

User-defined functions invoked as part of a SELECT or other statement require ordered parameter specification without parameter names.

Specifying parameter names should be supported when invoked as part of a SELECT statement.

When any parameters are named, all must be named,

When any parameters are named, any omitted parameters should receive default values. Omitted parameters without default values should result in an error.

See also:

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback/Details/361449

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 25

<=-=Feb 7 2017 7:34PM=-=>

Yes! I myself a use heavily inline table value functions and that would improve the clarity of their use even more!

<=-=Mar 5 2017 2:48PM=-=>

We understand the requirement, and it is good that it gets a lot of votes in very short period. It is in out backlog and we will consider it for some of the next releases; however, currently we cannot confirm when it will be implemented..

<=-=Dec 22 2017 3:17PM=-=>

This would be quite incredibly useful. When it was added to C#, it was a “so-what?” thing for me at the time – but now, I don’t know how I ever coded without named parameters. It has saved me countless hours getting things right the first time, and not chasing around dumb problems. I am sure the same would be true if SQL Server supported named parameters in User-Defined Functions.…

12. Trigger symbol on tables and views in object explorer

In SSMS Object Explorer, you can find DML triggers by expanding the table (or view) and then expanding the Triggers node. That is fine.
    However, it would be great to have a visual indication, as a kind of warning, on the table or view symbol. This symbol should only appear on tables and views that have one or more active triggers
    My suggestion for the symbol would be a lightning bolt (similar to the icon used for the actual triggers). Preferably in red.

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add Application-period temporal tables and Bitemporal tables to SQL Server 2016

SQL Server 2016 has temporal tables however these are only for system period temporal tables.

Please add Application-period temporal tables and Bitemporal tables similar to the existing feature in DB2.

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 29

<=-=Jul 27 2016 5:17PM=-=>

This feature vastly simplifies development of certain types of applications. Would be interesting at least know if microsoft has some intention to implement it.

<=-=Jul 27 2016 5:19PM=-=>

A fully compliant implementation to ansi sql 2011 would nice too.

<=-=Jul 28 2016 1:01AM=-=>

I would also like to see bitemporal support added, it would be most useful!

<=-=Mar 7 2017 11:54AM=-=>

This feature would really help people trying to migrate their DBs from DB2 or Oracle to SQL Server that much easier.

14. Add SQL Code Formatter

Please add a SQL code formatter to the query editor. It should work like the C# code formatter in Visual Studio except for SQL.

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Window Functions (OVER Clause) - Reuse of Window Definitions with WINDOW Clause

This item is related to: https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=254391, only the former suggestion wasn't standard whereas the current one is. Therefore the current is preferred.

With several window functions that rely on the same window definition (or part of it), there's a lot of repetition of code. Standard SQL has a clause called WINDOW that allows naming a window definition or part of it, making it reusable.
    For example, instead of:

SELECT empid, ordermonth, qty,
    SUM(qty) OVER ( PARTITION BY empid
    ORDER BY ordermonth
    ROWS BETWEEN UNBOUNDED PRECEDING
    AND CURRENT ROW ) AS run_sum_qty,
    AVG(qty) OVER ( PARTITION BY empid
    ORDER BY…

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 173

<=-=Sep 27 2010 2:23PM=-=>

Hi Itzik,
    Thanks for your feedback on WINDOW clause. We will consider it for a future version of SQL Server.

Umachandar, SQL Programmability Team

<=-=Mar 21 2011 8:27PM=-=>

I’m currently migrating an established application from another database platform to SQL Server. There’s a big, powerful chunk of the app missing due to the absence of the WINDOW clause functionality.

I wouldn’t even want to think of how to implement this type of processing in SQLCLR, if that’s even possible.

And if WINDOW is standard SQL, shouldn’t it be included in the Microsoft product? Competitors have it.

<=-=Mar 2 2012 1:18PM=-=>

Reuse of Window Definitions with WINDOW Clause
    This has been rolled up into our “Window Aggregates Enhancements” DCR for future consideration. Thank you for reporting it. All the information you provided has been captured for future reference.

Thanks,
    Marc Friedman

<=-=Nov…
  16. SQL History SSMS

In SSMS, keep track of all SQL run within SSMS and enable recall to run again. Store in local file/db. Do not store results but do store result stats. Such as Execution Time, Number of rows returned, date executed.

Click to open in new window. Allow choice of connection to run against.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add PowerQuery Source connector to SSIS

PowerQuery is a very powerful when extracting data in tabular format from web sources such as RSS feeds, APIs, scraping web pages etc.

SSIS currently doesn't have anything approaching the simplicity and speed of development for extracting web data that PowerQuery exhibits.

For example, recently I redeveloped a solution that sourced timesheet data from a cloud based application (workflowmax) in PowerQuery. The PowerQuery "ETL" took about 20 minutes to complete. The previous solution used SSIS packages that had days of work put into them, and the reliability and simplicity did not come close to that provided by using PowerQuery.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 18

<=-=Jan 12 2015 10:03PM=-=>

Thank you for submitting this feedback. After carefully evaluating the bug, we accept the bug as a valid bug that we will plan to fix it. We do not have a specific release date at this point but we will work on this feature, and will try to release it in the next version of SQL Server.

Thanks again for reporting the product issue and continued support in improving our product.

thanks
    SSIS team

18. Add sp_estimate_data_compression_savings to SQL Azure Database

Now Data Compression is available in Azure SQL Database (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc280449.aspx), but the sp_estimate_data_compression_savings is not available yet. The error message is:

Msg 534, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_estimate_data_compression_savings, Line 20 [Batch Start Line 14]
    'sp_estimate_data_compression_savings' failed because it is not supported in the edition of this SQL Server instance 'MSSQLSERVER'. See books online for more details on feature support in different SQL Server editions.

The workaround is to create another copy via database backup, compress and compare the table and index. But it takes more time, resource and money to get the result.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Scalar MAX function

It would be nice to have a scalar MAX function (name it S_MAX) that returns a maximum of two numbers. Right now you have to use CASE or write your own TVF and CROSS APPLY it, both are quite clumsy. Same for minimum of two:

SELECT
    S_MAX(1, 0) --yields 1
    ,S_MIN(1, 0) --yields 0

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Eager Index Spools Should Generate Missing Index Requests

In query plans where an Eager Index Spool is directly after a data access operator, a missing index should be generated in the query plan, and/or missing index DMVs that describes the definition of the index needed to make the spool unnecessary.

I would not expect this to happen when a Lazy Index Spool occurs above a subtree.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base