SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Jobs created by Reporting services - For cache specific expiry

The SQL Server jobs, that are created to expire the report from the cache, contains GUIDs as their name and this becomes very hard for the end users and DBA to manage the jobs.
    It would be great if there is a way end users can define the names for these jobs without affecting the functionality of the reporting services.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. SSRS: Add support for target when using actions

When using actions in SSRS I miss the option of targeting the action to a new window, parent windows (that is report) and so on.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. expose way to enumerate parameters from within a report

I would expect that there would be an easy way to loop through all the parameters in a report from within that report.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. sqlFunction should have a schema parameter

The sqlFunction statement does not accept a schema name so all sqlFunctions created this way default to dbo.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 26

<=-=Dec 13 2007 1:21AM=-=>

Thanks for the great feedback.

We’re currently seriously looking at it to see if it can fit our new release schedule.

-michael

<=-=Dec 8 2013 3:46PM=-=>

There’s a workaround for the postdeployment script:

if object_id(‘dbo.myCLRFunction’) is not NULL begin
    alter schema myschema transfer dbo.myCLRFunction
    end

I’d love to see this implemented as something like this (from the regex article)

[Microsoft.SqlServer.Server.SqlFunction] [Schema(Name = “myschema”)] public static SqlBoolean RegexMatch(SqlChars input, SqlString pattern) { Regex regex = new Regex(pattern.Value, Options); return regex.IsMatch(new string(input.Value)); } <=-=Nov 23 2015 1:52PM=-=>

Another work around I’m doing myself is I create a schema called Sys and I made it the default schema. All my CLR functions etc go in the sys schema where I have all utility related things. Then I gave everything else it’s own schema and I specifically refer to them everywhere. So I got rid of dbo entirely.

5. SSMS, neue SQL Scripts per solution Explorer anlegen

Im Solution Explorer kann man per rechte Maustaste ein neues Script erzeugen, dass auch gleich ge�ffnet wird, z. B. SQLQuery3.sql . Wird das Script umbenannt, so wird der Dateiname im Tabreiter des SQL-Scriptes nicht aktualisiert.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Add a server property to specify data retention period for data stored in Analysis Service query log

We are using SQL Server database to store Analysis Service query log data. Comparing to Analysis Service 2000, Analysis Service 2005 seem to log a lot more information to the query log, resulting in rapidly growing query log database for busy applications. We have a requirement to log every query on production servers. After just a few weeks into production, the query log database has grown to over 4G in size. What's the best way to deal with large amount of query log data? Apart from developing our own customized data purging mechanism, it will be very helpful to have…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. ROLAP should utilize MOLAP indexes on other dimensions

Build a simple cube with one measure group called MyFact which is MOLAP. That measure group should have a date dimension called Date which is MOLAP. It should also have a huge dimension called Huge which is ROLAP.

Now run the following queries (clearing the cache in between each):

select [Measures].[My Measure] on 0,
    Exists(
    [Huge].[Key Attribute].[Key Attribute].Members
    ,[Date].[Date].&[20070401]
    ,"MyFact"
    ) on 1
    from MyCube

select [Measures].[My Measure] on 0,
    NON EMPTY [Huge].[Key Attribute].[Key Attribute].Members
    from MyCube
    where [Date].[Date].&[20070401]

Note that in both cases, the first SQL query it fires off is basically a select * from the huge dimension…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. BACKUP Encryption

We all know that we can open up a BAK or TRN file using any text editor and see something readable. Anybody who can grab a hold of the backup files can simply restore it to any SQL Server instance and see the data inside the backup file.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 5

<=-=Sep 4 2007 11:40PM=-=>

This is a very valid point. Might be a challange to read a terabyte backup with notepad. Securing backups, which tend to hang out on disk drives these days and not carried away tape drives anymore, is a very valid request.

<=-=Nov 15 2007 1:03AM=-=>

HI cpdaniel,

thanks for reporting this issue. We will investigate and update this space accordingly.

Regards
    Vinod

<=-=Nov 15 2007 1:05AM=-=>

HI bass_player ,

ignore previous note. Thanks for reporting this issue. It is valid security issue you are suggesting and we will consider this for our future release.

Regards
    Vinod

<=-=Dec 18 2007 1:27PM=-=>

This is functionality that we are planning to implement, however it will not make it into the SQL 2008 release. Your Connect entry and the other votes for it will help make sure that it is ranked appropriately in planning the next release. Thank…

9. Data Obfuscation Facility in SQL Server

Today, all organisations have to face the problem of data privacy and being from a financial organisation it's a real burden to at best, find a tool or at worst, have to develop techniques that can obfuscate our data when used outside of the Live environment.

We need to obfuscate data when we allow developers access to Live data or have to send data off-site etc. Regulators are now seriously pressing organisations to provide evidence that they ensure customer data is in safe hands when taken away from the Live environment etc.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 4

<=-=Mar 27 2008 9:18AM=-=>

Hello, thanks for the suggestion. We are considering this for the next release of SQL Server.

<=-=May 9 2013 5:38PM=-=>

Hi, Thank you for providing your feedback. You suggestion is something that we have already started thinking about. It’s unfortunately too late to add any new features to this release but we’ll definitely consider it for a future version of SQL Server.

<=-=Jul 25 2013 2:18AM=-=>

HI Team, Can you please confirm if we have added this feature in the SQL Server ?

10. Add Global variables to SSRS for Browser DateTime and TimeZone

Having the client browser culture setting available in SSRS is a great feature. It would also be very valuable to have the local time and timezone information from the client's browser available as global variables as well.

Other web based applications can pick up on this information, and use it to good effect. not having the capability in Reporting Services hampers the ability to produce reports for an international audience when time zone considerations have to be worked into the report.

I can think of more but the example that unveiled this need is a call center report. The global…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. SQLXML4: The definition of "child" attribute should be optional in sql:relationship annotation

In sql:relationship annotation, the definition of "child" attribute should be optional (like the "parent") for that case the child node contains sql:relation definition. At the following example both the parent and the child element has mapping information to sql tables. The child element has reference to the named relationship. The relationship does not need to contain "child" table mapping information.

<xsd:annotation>
    <xsd:appinfo>

&lt;sql:relationship name=&quot;CustOrders&quot;

parent-key=&quot;CustomerID&quot;
    child-key=&quot;CustomerID&quot; /&gt;

</xsd:appinfo>
    </xsd:annotation>

<xsd:element name="Customer" sql:relation="Sales.Customer">
    <xsd:complexType>

&lt;xsd:sequence&gt;

&lt;xsd:element name=&quot;Order&quot;
    sql:relation=&quot;Sales.SalesOrderHeader&quot;
    sql:relationship=&quot;CustOrders&quot; &gt;
    &lt;xsd:complexType&gt;
    &lt;xsd:attribute name=&quot;SalesOrderID&quot; type=&quot;xsd:integer&quot; /&gt;
    &lt;xsd:attribute name=&quot;CustomerID&quot; type=&quot;xsd:string&quot; /&gt;
    &lt;/xsd:complexType&gt;
    &lt;/xsd:element&gt;
    &lt;/xsd:sequence&gt;
    &lt;xsd:attribute name=&quot;CustomerID&quot; type=&quot;xsd:string&quot; /&gt;

</xsd:complexType>
    </xsd:element>

By letting the…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. SQLXML4: annotation for include the xml element name to SQL tables at bulk load

An sql:element-name-field annotation item should be initiated so that to store the original xml element name to a proper column of an SQL Server table. This functionality is similar to the task of sql:overflow-field field, but the overflow-field contains data only when there is data cannot be inserted to any column. The sql:element-name-field should declare a column which always contains the name of the xml element inserted. The usage could be:
    <xs:element name="Note-Suggestion" sql:relation="XBL_Notes" sql:element-name-field="XmlElementName">
    <xs:complexType>

&lt;!-- ... --&gt;

</xs:complexType>
    </xs:element>
    <xs:element name="Note-Demand" sql:relation="XBL_Notes" sql:element-name-field="ClassName">

&lt;!-- ... --&gt;

</xs:complexType>
    </xs:element>
    <xs:element name="Note-Clause" sql:relation="XBL_Notes" sql:element-name-field="ClassName">

&lt;!-- ... --&gt;

</xs:complexType> …

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Reinvestigate tempdb, it's issues and how we use it as a scratch pad

The tempdb system database, as we all know is becoming "overused", and thus is more frequently becoming a bottleneck.

I know we are recommending multiple data files, trace flags, etc in white papers dedicated to this subject. Those recommendations do improve matters, but ultimately we can still have a bottleneck there. Think about all the activity in the transaction log being generated due to row-versioning, sorting, online DBCC checks, temp tables, etc, etc, etc. And the database catalog having to be maintained, etc.

We also have the commonly documented issues of collation problems and TDE.

All these issues are becoming…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. cannot access native client configuration

Hi,

We typically install only one SQL server which is to be accessed by one or more clients.

Our software applications are using the 'SQL native client' to access the SQL server database. So we only install the 'SQL native client' for these systems. However, now we cannot review, modify or access the native client configuration as can normally be done by running the SQL server configuration manager. But the server configuration manager gets only installed when installing the SQL server itself, not when installing the client.

We need to be able to configure the 'SQL native client' configuration when…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Dec 17 2009 6:12PM=-=>

Thank-you for reporting this enhancement recommendation to us. We are currently investigating what options are available and how we can enhance the user experience.

To help us identify the configuration experience you are looking for, when you say that you want to configure the SQL Server Native Client, are you referring to something along the lines of cliconfg.exe? Or, are you referring to ODBCAD32.exe?

Regards,
    Jimmy Wu
    Microsoft SQL Server

<=-=Dec 18 2009 12:03AM=-=>

Although I am not familiar with the tool cliconfg.exe, it looks like this tool is meant to be used for configuring SQL Server 2000/MSDE?

What I need is a way to configure the way ADO connects to SQL server with the SQL native client 2005 or SQL native client 2008 if this client was installed by means of the the available ‘sqlncli.msi’ windows installer packages.

- Is there…

15. Logging Report Model usage in the ExecutionLog

Currently, when Report Builder is used to access a published report model in reporting services (2005 & 2008) a usage record is created in the ExecutionLog reporting Services database table, however it does not identify the specific Report Model that was accessed - the ReportID in the ExecutionLog / ExecutionLogStorage table references the root-level item in the Catalog table regardless of which Report Model is accessed.

The main problem with this is that because the specific Report Model being accessed is not recorded in the execution / usage log, there is no way of identifying which specific Report Models are…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add data type to Properties window for plan operator

When I look at the output list of a plan operator, the properties for a column under the Output list have Column (redundant?), alias, Database, Schema, and Table. I would like to also see data type here (and collation for string values). I am guessing it has been left out because it would be difficult to determine implicit vs explicit conversion, vs. data type of underlying column(s), but I think it would be useful to see this where possible so that we can quickly gauge why a scan went out of control (e.g. varchar vs. nvarchar, or collation a vs.…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Jun 29 2009 11:08AM=-=>

Dear Aaron Bertrand

Thank you for the feedback. The show plan xml and the properties window do not contain the datatype presently. We look at adding this field in the properties window. I have marked this issue for consideration by the product team.

Thanks,
    -Karthik

17. Enhance copy and paste package behavior to include assigning new IDs to new package AND all its components

In Integration Services, copying and pasting packages to enable reuse does not currently assign a new GUID to the pasted/new package. Additionally, the pasted/new package componets also are not assigned new GUIDs.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Windows Fileshare Report Delivery

Fileshare deliveries from subscriptions in Reporting Services require user and password. As an administrator to reporting services it would be helpful if a stored system account of sorts could be used.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 6

<=-=Dec 29 2008 2:37PM=-=>

Thanks for filing this enhancement request through connect.
    We will consider incorporating this in a future release of reporting services.
    Thanks

<=-=May 14 2009 10:36AM=-=>

Another enhancement that I would like to see is that where users should be able to change the network credentials used in report subscriptions in one central location.

Currently when users setup windows file share subscription for report they have to enter their network credentials. Now when the users network password changes they have to go to every subscription they ever created and set the new password. This is cumbersome and users are resisting users the product for good reason.

19. Reporting Services Shared Subscriptions

The Shared Schedule feature of Reporting services works really well. However the more we have worked with the tool we have come across the need for a new/additional feature.

In a similar fashion the ability to manage "Shared Subscriptions" would help to manage delivery of multiple reports simultaneously. Email and file shares across multiple reports could be changed through one interface as opposed to every single report.

This feature is key to departmental and functional reporting that is either sent to large distributions or consumed by other applications.

Thanks!

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Securing SQL server against SQL injection attacks

I have found that securing the following objects within SQL server can effectively stop most if not all SQL injection attacks. By default SQL logins are granted select access to the following: Sysojects, Syscolumns. If an SQL server login is denied select on these objects the attack it stopped in its tracks.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base