Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Microsoft Q&A or Stack Overflow

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Gemini DAX Distinct function support for more columns

DAX Distinct function in Gemini only support one column.
    It would be very useful if it could support more columns.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Aug 26 2009 1:01PM=-=>

Also, in the Visual Table Query Wizard, there should be a simple way to return distinct rows from a table. In the select Tables and Views window, perhaps you can include a “Select Unique Records” column with a checkbox available for each table.

<=-=Aug 26 2009 2:08PM=-=>

Thank you for providing this feedback. We will consider your recommendation. In the meantime, please continue to use the product and provide feedback. Your feedback helps us to build better products.

2. Datasource with LINQ at SQL Reporting Services 2008

I have been used a lot of applciations with SQL Reporting Servcices and LINQ To SQL and Entity Framework. So, I would like to suggest you to the next version of SQL Reporting Services to allow create the ORM (Object Relational Model) (.dbml or .edmx) to use into datasource from the reports.
    I am sure that the ORM is the wonderfull way to improve the productivity to the developers.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Reporting Services, merge table cells vertically

Reporting services currently has the ability to merge table/tablix cells horizontally within a group, but not vertically.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 4

<=-=Oct 15 2011 10:15PM=-=>

Thank you for providing this feedback. Blocked tablix allows you to span cells vertically. There are some known cases where you cannot span cells vertically (in the body of the tablix specifically). It would be great to get some more details about where you would like to see vertical spanning and we will consider adding this capability in a future release.

<=-=Jan 7 2013 3:06AM=-=>

I would also like to see the Merge Cells feature made available to vertically adjacent cells. The case where I would find this useful is in the header rows of a table. I was quite surprised when selecting the two header row cells to find that the Merge Cells option was not available, and was only available for horizontally adjacent cells. I was using SSRS 2008 R2.

4. Add a button to the Gemini tab to refresh the source data AND Gemini PivotTables

In much of the work I do for clients, a typical workbook would have several PivotTables (many used as source data for dashboard style charts). A single button refreshes them all from the source. A good proportion of these clients don't run SharePoint (I do promote the use of SharePoint where possible).

Gemini doesn't currently support refreshing data from the source, but a Data Refresh button will be added to the Gemini client tab in CTP3. However, each Gemini PivotTable must be updated manually. It should be possible for the Gemini client to update the data source and all PivotTables…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Improve column filters in Gemini

I've previously submitted a suggestion for improving date filters in Gemini columns, so the following pertains to non-date columns.

The column filters in Gemini are somewhat limited, so there's much room for improvement. For example, custom filters support a single AND operation and number filters lack options such as Top 10...

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Manual Browser Alias

SQL does not allow anyone to rename a named instance. Mapping between named and default instances is challenging. Many SQL-centric application, most especially SharePoint, do not support moving to a new server or instance name.

The SQL Browser needs to allow for manual aliasing an existing instance to an arbitrary default or instance name. This way, a DNS redirect can handle the server name resolution and the browser service would transparently look like it connected to the old system. This feature would have a great deal of use in Disaster Recovery, Migrations, Consolidations, and Virtualizations. There are many legacy systems…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Aug 21 2009 3:14PM=-=>

Thank-you for your feedback and request for enhancements to enable some form of virtualization of connections such that the backend server topography can be updated without requiring changes to the client application.

We will investigate ways in which we can address your scenario. Looking at what is currently available, we recommend using aliases that is available on each client machine. Please refer to the following Books Online topic for details on how to create an alias. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190445.aspx

Sincerely,
    Microsoft SQL Server

<=-=Aug 24 2009 10:52AM=-=>

I am already well aware of the capabilities and limitations of the Client Alias. On larger infrastructures, adding client aliases is prohibitive timewise, especially in a DR situation. This suggestion is a central replacement and supplement for the client alias capabilities.

Client Aliases are not a “fix” for this request.

<=-=Nov 13 2015 10:44AM=-=>

Thanks again for reporting the…

7. Useful data type validation functions

It would be nice to include more useful data type validation functions in SQL server. For example ISNUMERIC returns 1 when the input expression evaluates to a valid integer, floating point number, money or decimal type. Using ISNUMERIC to test character data before inserting into an integer column can be very problematic when the character data is valid for a money data type but not an integer data type. I am sure many developers have struggled with validating numeric data because of this.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Aug 14 2009 3:50PM=-=>

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the feedback! This is a good suggestion and we will investigate it for future releases of SQL Server.

- Tobias

<=-=Mar 24 2011 4:41PM=-=>

Hello,

Thank you for submitting this suggestion, but given its priority relative to the many other items in our queue, it is unlikely that we will actually complete it. As such, we are closing this suggestion as �won�t fix�. If you feel that this is worth reconsidering, feel free to respond to this message and we will take another look.

Jan
    SQL Server Engine

8. Disconnect physical measure groups from metadata transferred to clients

Measure groups are inflexible in terms of grouping related measures into logical collections. It is very rarely the case that related measure neatly fall into the same fact table in the data source view. This is confusing for end users doing ad-hoc analysis and reporting against a SSAS dimensional models through most end user tools (such as Excel pivot tables or Report Builder 2.0). To them measures often seem to fall into arbitrary "categories" with no logic behind the distribution of measures.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 13

<=-=Aug 13 2009 2:51AM=-=>

…so basically you are talking about a “display folder” property for measures?! Good idea…

<=-=Aug 13 2009 5:25AM=-=>

Yes pretty much :)

<=-=Aug 26 2009 10:59AM=-=>

Thank you for this feedback. We will consider your suggestion for an upcoming release of SQL Server.

9. Cube Browser through SSRS portal

The cube browser in Visual studio is pretty good , but is very minimal and cannot be accessed by end users without Excel. In order to keep the Enterprise data in a central location and analysing it through web would help us avoid the multiple versions of Excel spreadsheet and other version control issues that we encounter often

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 5

<=-=Aug 26 2009 10:55AM=-=>

Thank you for sending us this feedback. We will consider this feedback for an upcoming release of SQL Server. In the meantime, you may want to learn more about project ‘Gemini’ which is expected to release in SQL Server 2008 R2. Based on the description you provided, Gemini might be able to help you.

10. DOC : please make local <-> online URLs easier to translate

Typically when I am supporting end users I perform research in my local copy of Books Online. When I want to give users a link to a specific topic, I prefer to give them the online version, since they may not have the most recent version of BOL (and that topic may have changed), or they may not have BOL installed locally at all.

The problem is, I end up searching MSDN online for some phrase in the topic, and then browsing through the results to make sure I picked the right one (and that it is the right version

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 16

<=-=Aug 24 2009 5:26PM=-=>

You can view the URL for the online version of a BOL topic, in the local copy of BOL, by doing the following:

1. In the local copy of BOL (Microsoft Document Explorer viewer), click Options on the Tools menu.
    2. Expand the Help node in the left-hand pane, and then click Online.
    3. Clear the “Local Help” checkbox in the “Search these providers” box, and then click OK.
    4. Search for a topic in the local copy of BOL.
    The URL for the online version of the topic is displayed in the URL box at the top of the topic.

For more information about other options, click “Help on Help” on the Help menu in the local copy of BOL (Microsoft Document Explorer).

<=-=Mar 16 2010 9:08PM=-=>

Thanks Sabotta, but that’s too many steps (and it also requires you to be…

11. Auto-exists and sets in the Where clause

At present the two following queries return different results:

select [Measures].[Internet Sales Amount] on 0,
    [Date].[Fiscal].[All Periods] on 1
    from [Adventure Works]
    where([Date].[Calendar].[Date].&[20010701])

from [Adventure Works]
    where({[Date].[Calendar].[Date].&[20010701]})

The first query returns the value of Internet Sales Amount for July 1st 2001; the second returns Internet Sales Amount for all time periods. The only difference between the two is the set in the Where clause in the second query.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 48

<=-=Aug 18 2009 6:34PM=-=>

Thanks a lot Chris for reporting this problem.

We will take a look.
    Edward Melomed.

<=-=Jan 6 2010 11:00AM=-=>

Thanks for reporting this issue Chris. We are investigating for a future release of SQL Server.

The Analysis Services team

<=-=May 6 2012 2:56AM=-=>

I have encountered the same issue in 2008 R2 and 2012 RTM.

<=-=Oct 17 2012 8:05PM=-=>

SQL Server 2008 R2

I cannot reproduce this bug, but mine is very similar:

from [Adventure Works]
    where([Date].[Calendar].[Date].&20080701)

from [Adventure Works]
    where({[Date].[Calendar].[Date].&20080701})

These 2 scripts produce the same result, $1,834.79, so it is ok.

And the last one returns Internet Sales Amount for all time periods – $29,358,677.22 (though it should be July 1st 2008)

select [Measures].[Internet Sales Amount] on…

12. Report Builder Improvements

In order to work well for an ISV, the Report Builder tool needs to have the ability to be embedded in a Windows form and be fully customizable by the developer.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Report Viewer and Archiving Improvements

When a user is viewing a report in the ReportViewer control, they should be able to archive an exact copy of THAT report. Currently if the user wishes to create an archive of the report and I make a call to CreateReportHistorySnapshot, this is a new execution of the report, which is not desired because the data might have changed.

Also, it would be nice if developers had the ability to save a snapshot of a report and store it themselves, such as in a file of some native format. Then they could load this into the ReportViewer at any…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Report Builder 2 Calculated Series with categories

When adding a calculated series, it is impossible to add to a chart that has series' as well as categories.
    In order to work around this, it has been necessary to do some really poor workarounds to have multiple series, filtered by the "category" , each of which has a calculated series - poor performance as well as unmaintainability.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Support XML in parameter on Reporting Services XML data source

The project I'm working on contains tables in SQL server with XML fields. We would like to visualize the content of these fields in Reporting Services using a subreport that parses the XML. To accomplish this we use an XML Data Source and add a parameter 'XmlData' where we provide the XML to parse. The XML data source does not really support this however.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Aug 12 2009 3:51PM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback on using the XML data source. We realize this feature enables many very interesting scenarios, for example the one you describe. We are considering ways to improve support for these scenarios in a future release, and will include your idea in that discussion. Thanks again for your feedback.

16. RegEx Column Property for Validation

It would be really awesome to have, in the properties for columns (along with datatype, computed formula, default value, etc) a property which allowed you to define a regex which would be used to check the values entered in to the column.
    This would essentially function as an inherent check constraint when there was a value in this RegEx property.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 17

<=-=Jul 17 2009 9:20AM=-=>

Hi,

Thankyou for this request. Yes, this would be a neat feature to add. We have considered two approaches – either native RegEx support, or access, via SQLCLR, to the existing RegEx library available within the .NET Framework.

Anyhow, I’ll add this to our growing TODO list.

Thanks,

Jim Hogg

<=-=Jul 17 2009 11:27AM=-=>

Cool beans! :)

I suppose as long as it supports the full regex syntax, it doesn’t really matter so much other than for possible performance implications.
    Though it would be cool, if it was done natively, then T-SQL could be enhanced with the same functions to allow direct, native regex coding in SQL too. Of course, then you would also have to rewrite a whole new RegEx engine when the .NET team already has a perfectly good one written.

What to do, what to do! ;)

17. Allow logins for Windows domain accounts to be created using UPN format

When creating logins that are mapped from a Windows domain account you are required touse the pre-Windows 2000 format for the username (<domainName>&lt;loginName>). This is annoying as the maximum length of a login in this format is 20 characters.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 49

<=-=Aug 4 2009 1:31PM=-=>

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. We’ll keep your suggestion and consider it for a future release of SQL Server.

Thanks,
    Il-Sung.

<=-=Sep 8 2010 10:12AM=-=>

This would be fantastic for shared hosts, right now we can’t reliably use the customer’s domain name as a login because of the 20 character limit, this is a limitation also found in MySQL for username length – never the less – a fix with this would be great for both convenience and consistency with most newer microsoft products using the userPrincipalName/UPN

<=-=May 9 2013 5:40PM=-=>

Hi, Thank you for providing your feedback. You suggestion is something that we have already started thinking about. It’s unfortunately too late to add any new features to this release but we’ll definitely consider it for a future version of SQL Server.

<=-=Dec 23 2016 10:15AM=-=>

Is there an update on…

18. SSRS ExecutionNotFoundException not handled

1. Start Report Manager and open a report (report correctly display data)

2. Select �Home� to leave the report

3. Wait more than 20 minutes on the �Home� page

4. Use the browser �Back� button to return to the report (report looks okay)

5. Change a report parameter and select �View report�. (error occurs).

Error:
    Execution not found error.
    library!ReportServer_0-46!10c!05/04/2009-10:16:21:: e ERROR: Throwing
    Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ExecutionNotFoundException: Execution 'ktseic551f4kx35525gy2t45' cannot be found, ;
    Info: Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ExecutionNotFoundException: Execution 'ktseic551f4kx35525gy2t45' cannot be found

I'm told by Microsoft support that this behavior is "works as designed".

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Dec 1 2009 8:47PM=-=>

Thanks for reporting the issue to Microsoft! We have heard one more one customer reported this same issue and recognize that this might be a design issue that we need to address in a future release even the behavior is expected in current design. Thanks again for the feedback and we will keep this issue opened for next major release and try to address it properly with a new design.

- Yi Liao

19. Rank cost of graphical execution plan components in SSMS

When a large execution plan is generated, it can be tedious and time consuming to find the highest-cost operations to performance-tune.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 19

<=-=Jul 27 2009 5:33AM=-=>

Even a visual cue, such as a red background or outline, would be useful. Then if you have a large plan and you zoom out to see it all, you can see the high cost items instantly.

<=-=Aug 2 2009 8:36PM=-=>

I’d also like to see something like “Operator Cost 1% SubTree Cost 84%”, so that I can more easily track down the tree. Previously I was having to do this using the text-based plan and Excel… (!!!!)

<=-=Jan 19 2010 3:11PM=-=>

I concur with both Aaron and Rob. When dealing with large stored procedures, it can be almost impossible to effectively use the graphical query execution plan. Some way of navigating, sorting, or visually identifying the plan by expense would be very useful.

<=-=Jan 19 2010 3:17PM=-=>

The best suggestions are obvious when you see them. This is one of those. Can’t describe…

20. When you change connection, SSMS should try to use the same database.

A not uncommon is that you are in database A on server A. Then you right-click and select Change Connection to a server B, and at least my unconcious assumption is that I will end up to database A on server B as well. But that does not happen, instead I am in my default database on that server, typically master.

Of course, it is far from certain that there is a database A on server B, but if A = tempdb or msdb it will. And you could of course have the same database name on different servers for…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 9

<=-=Jul 22 2009 8:47AM=-=>

Hi Erland,
    Keeping the database context when switching servers makes sense. We’ll see if this is a straightforward thing to do.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Jan 31 2013 7:03PM=-=>

Hi! Erland,

We recently took a look at this feature request again and triaged it against several others and unfortunately, it did not meet the bar to be fixed. While we are closing this request as ’won’t fix’, we have taken note of this internally and we will try & incorporate this request when we revisit this functionality in a future release of SSMS.

Regards,
    Sanjay Nagamangalam, SQL Server Manageability

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base