Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Microsoft Q&A or Stack Overflow

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SQL Query scrap book

Query Analyser, or Database Engine Query, are excellent environments for building and testing sql queries and I spend a lot of time here!

I tend to build several test queries and odd tsql snippets then selecting and pressing F5 for the portions I want to run as needed, I expect this is common practise.

I often get to the point where I have to scroll to select queries that have grown to 50, 100 or more lines. This can become tedious as the selected region must be reselected every time.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Jul 15 2005 8:09AM=-=>

Hi RedAmber,
    thank you for your suggestion regarding a way to organize queries in the editor – we will consider this for future releases.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=May 18 2011 10:33PM=-=>

Hi:

We took a look at this bug along with several others recently. Unfortunately, triaging it against other critical bugs, I do not think we would get to investigating this in the near future. However, we have taken note of this internally, and when we revisit this functionality in the future, we will try and get this resolved.

Thanks for writing in to Microsoft.

Sincerely,
    Deepesh Srivastava

2. No cascading foreign keys, have to create triggers

SQL Server stops you from creating cascading foreign keys and forces you to create triggers. If I can create triggers that do the right thing then the SQL Server team should be able to implement it automatically for me for foreign keys. Doing triggers is time consuming, error prone and shouldn't be necessary.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Apr 11 2006 9:00PM=-=>

Hi – Thanks for your feedback. We’ll certainly consider this for future release of SQL Server.

- Christian Kleinerman

<=-=Aug 20 2008 4:14PM=-=>

Hi,
    I have resolved this item as duplicate of another suggestion. You can view it at:

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=124526

I have also linked both these suggestions together in our system for tracking purposes.

Thanks
    Umachandar, SQL Programmability Team

3. New OBJECTPROPERTY

A common requirement is to exclude non-user objects in database scripts and tools. This was possible in SQL 2000 using the 'IsMsShipped' OBJECTPROPERTY so that objects created by tools or marked as a system object could be easily identified.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 7 2006 5:32PM=-=>

Thanks for the feedback. There are some layering considerations here, but we’ll certainly discuss and consider for future releases.

<=-=Mar 24 2011 12:20PM=-=>

Hello Dan,

Thank you for submitting this suggestion, but we’re trying to clean house and remove items we feel we will likely not address given their priority relative to other items in our queue. We believe it is unlikely that we will address this suggestion, and so we are closing it as �won�t fix�.

This cleaning will help us focus on the high-priority items that we feel need to get done, and we hope that it help provide better clarity to you about the issues we will (and won’t) address.

4. XML Index - More focused type of index

XML indexes are indexing whole content of the field of xml type.
    This is valid when field is used for small xml documents or fragments.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Aug 17 2006 4:48PM=-=>

Dear Dejan

Thanks for your feedback.

I understand that you would like the ability to have a functional XML index capability. We will be looking into this functionality for one of the upcoming releases.

Best regards
    Michael

<=-=Aug 24 2006 5:39AM=-=>

As an alternative consider the use of XML methods in indexed views (currently not allowed).

5. MDX: Subcubes should set the current context

Currently, subcubes/subselects used in MDX queries do not set the current query context. This is a huge problem in calculated members that need the current context in order to return correct results.

For examples, please see:
    http://www.sqljunkies.com/WebLog/reckless/archive/2006/03/08/18601.aspx
    http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=282896&SiteID=1
    http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=488496&SiteID=1

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Unable to provide a translated caption for the Measures dimension

In AS2005 you can supply translations for every object except the Measures dimension. Some client tools like Excel don't display the name of the Measures dimension but some do - and for them, it's really important to be able to supply a translation.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Script Logins with SID, Hashed password & Server Permissions

When scripting a SQL Server authenticated login in the management studio, would be good if it could include the hashed password & the SID.

Also, when scripting all logins would be good if it could include Role Permissions and other permissions.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 12 2006 8:09AM=-=>

You recently took the time to make some suggestions about how we can improve your experience with SQL Server. I have reviewed your comments and have some questions.

You said “When scripting a SQL Server authenticated login in the management studio, would be good if it could include the hashed password & the SID. Also, when scripting all logins would be good if it could include Role Permissions and other permissions.”

1. For 2005 and onward, SQL Server does not support hashed password migration. I can’t help you with this portion of your request.
    2. Is this correct? When you script the login from management studio, you want the SID to appear in the generated script, unlike today, where it doesn’t.
    3. Can you fill me in more on roles and permissions? Here is what I think you want. You want to, from…

8. Set specific All Member captions for Attributes

At the moment there is a single AttributeAllMemberName property on a dimension which allows you to specify the All Member name for all of the attributes on a dimension. This is pretty much useless if you're using attribute hierarchies in a tool like Proclarity - you need to be able to specify a different All Member name for each attribute in order to be able to distinguish between them in a client tool

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. XML: Ability to index selected attributes

We do not want to incur the penalty of index update for ALL attribute writes. Need to support both indexes on attribute value, as well as element + attribute value (the latter is needed for doing attribute-based searches within a subtree).

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Diagram Copy and Paste

We should be able to copy and paste tables from Diagram (all of them: Database, Olap, Data Source Views...) into other diagrams and 'dumb' targets like Word.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Apr 16 2007 1:16PM=-=>

You can right-click on the database diagram and choose “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste it in Word.

<=-=Jan 14 2008 11:53AM=-=>

Thanks for reporting this issue. We will consider this for a future release.

Regards,
    Robert Zare

11. KJ TAP FISERV - Fixed Headers

I don't see any improvements in the UI as far as fixed and scrollable headers. The UI is not intuitive and there are issues upgrading from 2005 as explained in this article (http://prologika.com/CS/forums/p/1038/3745.aspx#3745). I myself had several users who couldn't figure out what needs to be done to get headers to scroll or repeat with different tablix layouts.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Complete SSRS 2008 Administration needed in Management Studio

Since usually the SQL Server DBA is the administrator of Reporting Services, complete SSRS administration is desirable in SQL Server Management Studio.

Currently only crippled SSRS administration is present in Management Studio. For example, Roles can be managed but Users cannot.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 8 2011 6:49PM=-=>

Thank you for filing this bug.

After further investigation we have decided not to consider adding this feature to SQL Server 2008 release. Having said that, we will consider this during the planning for the next SSRS major release.

HTH
    Prash

13. Better error reporting for Data Driven Subscriptions

Data Driven subscriptions currently just report a count of reports that succeeded or failed. When only some of the reports of the subscription fail, it's very difficult to determine which particular reports failed, and there appears to be no logging of delivery errors anywhere to aid in diagnosing the root cause.

I want to be able to find any delivery errors that occur, and be able to find the individual reports in the subscription that failed to diagnose and rerun them.

Without knowing which reports failed or knowing why delivery failed makes it somewhat difficult to recommend using Reporting Services…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Sep 9 2009 9:24AM=-=>

Thank you for filing this issue. We will consider it as a new feature for a future version of Reporting Services.

I very much appreciate you taking the time to offer suggestions for how to improve Reporting Services.

Thank you,
    -Lukasz

<=-=Jan 11 2010 9:32AM=-=>

Thanks, I’ll look forward to this being addressed! As for workarounds, I’m already aware of the text log, but unfortunately to get the information we need we needed to turn on verbose logging, which produced such a large logfile it was impractical—multiple GB in our case per day. I was able to just turn on verbose logging for just the affected component, but that was still impractical. There may be a bug where even though we have our configuration is set to log errors (the default), some errors are being filtered out inadvertently like the delivery errors.

Thanks,
    Greg

14. SSRS Subreport PageFooter and PageHeader in Master Report

It is a known issue that when adding subreport to master report there is no easy way to show in pagefooter values from subreport pagefooter (so with pageheaders).

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Gemini - Provide wizards for date and numeric grouping

It's taken me some time to get around to this one, but it's perhaps one of my most important suggestions to date. I've discussed the problem in the threads, but I'd like to formalize the suggestion.

One of the challenges that Gemini cube builders will face is the lack of grouping functionality in PivotTables. Grouping is a very common end user task. In SSAS, these tasks are usually handled by a date wizard in BIDS (for date groups) or through an attribute property setting in the cube development environment (for discretization). In Gemini, the user has to create a number…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Aug 30 2009 1:02PM=-=>

Colin — thank you for this suggestion. It’s a very interesting idea and one that the team will consider.

<=-=Oct 19 2009 3:58PM=-=>

Thanks again for the very detailed feedback. Providing wizard-based UIs to automate complex, common case scenario is an interesting idea that may find its way into our future releases. However, our very tight shcedule for Gemini V1 will unfortunately prevent us from doing this in the short term; as discussed, users will still be able to create calculated columns as a manual workaround for now.

16. sp_refreshview error messages

When you call sp_refreshview with a schema-bound view the error you get is:

Msg 15165, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sprefreshsqlmoduleinternal, Line 55
    Could not find object 'viewName' or you do not have permission.

Example:

use tempdb
    GO
    create table auxTable (a int)
    GO
    CREATE VIEW [dbo].[vView]
    WITH SCHEMABINDING
    AS
    SELECT a from dbo.auxTable
    GO
    EXEC sp_refreshview '[dbo].[vView]'

SQL Server version: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP1) - 10.0.2531.0 (X64) Mar 29 2009 10:11:52 Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7600: )

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Sep 1 2009 1:51PM=-=>

Hi Ruben,
    Thanks for your feedback. One of the reasons why you see the object not found error message is for security reasons or to prevent information disclosure issues. Using this SP, a malicious user can figure out if there exists a schema bound object with a particular name. So we will probably never change error messages like this. Note that this are other instances of the same error message.
    However, we should probably provide some mode of operation for development purpose to show meaningful error messages. In this case, running sp_refreshview is not required for schema bound views since the base tables cannot be altered without dropping the schema bound view. We will consider your feedback on how to improve this scenario along with similar error message related ones in a future version of SQL Server..

<=-=Sep 1…
  17. Gemini DAX Distinct function support for more columns

DAX Distinct function in Gemini only support one column.
    It would be very useful if it could support more columns.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Aug 26 2009 1:01PM=-=>

Also, in the Visual Table Query Wizard, there should be a simple way to return distinct rows from a table. In the select Tables and Views window, perhaps you can include a “Select Unique Records” column with a checkbox available for each table.

<=-=Aug 26 2009 2:08PM=-=>

Thank you for providing this feedback. We will consider your recommendation. In the meantime, please continue to use the product and provide feedback. Your feedback helps us to build better products.

18. Datasource with LINQ at SQL Reporting Services 2008

I have been used a lot of applciations with SQL Reporting Servcices and LINQ To SQL and Entity Framework. So, I would like to suggest you to the next version of SQL Reporting Services to allow create the ORM (Object Relational Model) (.dbml or .edmx) to use into datasource from the reports.
    I am sure that the ORM is the wonderfull way to improve the productivity to the developers.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Reporting Services, merge table cells vertically

Reporting services currently has the ability to merge table/tablix cells horizontally within a group, but not vertically.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 4

<=-=Oct 15 2011 10:15PM=-=>

Thank you for providing this feedback. Blocked tablix allows you to span cells vertically. There are some known cases where you cannot span cells vertically (in the body of the tablix specifically). It would be great to get some more details about where you would like to see vertical spanning and we will consider adding this capability in a future release.

<=-=Jan 7 2013 3:06AM=-=>

I would also like to see the Merge Cells feature made available to vertically adjacent cells. The case where I would find this useful is in the header rows of a table. I was quite surprised when selecting the two header row cells to find that the Merge Cells option was not available, and was only available for horizontally adjacent cells. I was using SSRS 2008 R2.

20. Add a button to the Gemini tab to refresh the source data AND Gemini PivotTables

In much of the work I do for clients, a typical workbook would have several PivotTables (many used as source data for dashboard style charts). A single button refreshes them all from the source. A good proportion of these clients don't run SharePoint (I do promote the use of SharePoint where possible).

Gemini doesn't currently support refreshing data from the source, but a Data Refresh button will be added to the Gemini client tab in CTP3. However, each Gemini PivotTable must be updated manually. It should be possible for the Gemini client to update the data source and all PivotTables…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base