SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SQLAgent Job Notifications

SQL Server just keeps getting better, by the way, so thanks. DMVs rock! But (!) could you please change SQLAgent job notifications to be more specific about the result than just Succeeded or Failed? When you look at the job history the icons tell you whether all steps succeeded or only some. I'd love to see something in the notification email that would prompt me to check the results in detail.

For example, I have a job to do my backups with a step for each database. Each step goes on to the next step even if it fails because…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Jul 18 2007 6:04AM=-=>

I agree, that would be very helpful. In the interim, I run this query to monitor jobs. This query can easily be customized to retrieve specific job and instance info….so you could tie it in as the last step of a job and email the results.

select name,server,step_name,message,run_date,run_time,run_duration from sysjobs j
    inner join msdb.dbo.sysjobhistory h on j.job_id = h.job_id
    where run_status = 0
    order by j.name,instance_id

<=-=Jul 24 2007 1:23PM=-=>

Thanks for the report. We’ll be investigating this for a future release.

-Richard Waymire

<=-=Oct 29 2008 4:23PM=-=>

Hi,

Your feedback make a lot of sense and we will consider it for the next release,

Gil

2. RS: support PDF with digital certificates

In enterprise environments, there is more and more demand for "signed" PDF documents, that a signed/protected with a digital certificate.
    Depending on the local regulation, invoice documents have to be "signed" to be accepted by the tax authorities (e.g. Germany)

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Report Model Perspective Security

Unable to secure permissions for perspectives

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Reporting Services 2005 - Hide in List View

Visual Studio or BI Develop. Studio should allow us to set by default a especific value for the "Hide in List View" property. This way if we deploy thousands of sub-reports we dont lose time by hiding it one by one in the Portal.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 5

<=-=Oct 29 2007 5:18PM=-=>

Thanks for the suggestion. We will consider this for a future release.

<=-=Sep 5 2008 1:39PM=-=>

I would also like to see the ability of setting a Friendly Name(display name) for a report, as opposed to it’s visual studio file name.

5. BPA : Should offer at least local instance choices

When I get to the "Register SQL Server components" screen in the latest version of BPA (9.0.1004.0), and I select "Database Engine", I have a dropdown for SQL Server instance name. However, this dropdown is empty, which is inconsistent with several other tools (e.g. Profiler, Mangement Studio) which offer a list of recently-connected instances and/or local instances.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Allow finer grain of control for database level permissions

There are a number of database level command that can be executed but only if you are a db_owner. These permissions are implicit and cannot be explicitly granted or denies, unlike other database level permissions such as "backup database".

This can cause several security issues. For example, if you have someone who uses DTS or SSIS for the data warehouse which is updatable and usually in full recovery mode, you would like to permit this person to be able to switch between bulk recovery and back to full recovery. Unfortunately the only way to allow this is to grant full…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Mar 31 2008 2:44PM=-=>

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your feedback. We can’t make any changes to SQL Server 2008 but we will consider your request for a future release of SQL Server.

Thanks,
    Il-Sung Lee.

<=-=Feb 11 2013 2:23PM=-=>

Hi Richard, Thank you for your feedback. We can’t make any changes to SQL Server 2008 but we will consider your request for a future release of SQL Server.

7. Add flag to CREATE DATABASE command which specifies if data file should be zeroed out on create or on the fly.

I think that an excellent addition to Microsoft SQL Server would be the ability for the CREATE DATABASE command to be able to specify if the physical files should be zeroed out at creation (aka SQL 2000 style) or on the fly (aka SQL 2005 style).

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Dec 13 2007 3:16PM=-=>

Thanks for your suggestion.
    We are looking at more explicit methods for controlling file initialization.
    Likely this will take the form of an instance switch, since it impacts more than database creation (restore, grow, add file). The switch would be dynamic however.

<=-=Dec 13 2007 6:03PM=-=>

An instance level switch would be perfect.

Thank you for looking into adding this into SQL Server.

<=-=Dec 13 2007 6:08PM=-=>

I was thinking with a create database flag so that you could have different databases setup to work different ways. Also I would assume that this way it wouldn’t to change able. (I would assume that you wouldn’t want to allow this to be changeable after database creation.) With a database instance I would assume that the setting would in some way be changeable which you probably wouldn’t want to be able to happen.

8. Dynamic Sub-Report

Hi,

I have been waiting for this option for several time now. Till today i am currently overlapping (causes warnings) sub-reports and setting proper visible settings to each one along the settings choosen.
    If we could load this sub-report dynamically we would definitly get an improvement in report building and possibilities.

Best Regards,
    Luis Sim�es

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 9

<=-=Jul 9 2007 3:10PM=-=>

Thank you for requesting this functionality. This will be considered for a future release of SQL Server Reporting Services.

<=-=Aug 8 2008 9:36AM=-=>

Hi, Should i duplicate this post for 2008 version? Or is this item still a go for 2008 either? Regards

<=-=Apr 16 2010 1:16AM=-=>

I am using SSRS 2008. I am struggling with trying to call sub reports dynamically. Could you please confirm if there is a way of doing so via coding or some other option.

9. Reporting Services 2005 - Email Report Feature

End users would sometimes like to email a report (or filtered report) to others within the organization that may or may not have access to Reporting Services. While do so before they send the report they would like 1) select the attachment type (Excel, PDF etc) 2) add some text on the email dialog box describing the attachment.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Role Playing dimension - change level name

In order to use the dimension�s role playing functionality, it should be possible to change the name of the attribute/hierarchy� levels.
    E.g., you use 2 time dimension using role playing, it is not possible (at least to my knowledge) to change the name of the attribute/hierarchy� levels. The first dimension is related to orders time and the second to delivered time, the end-users would like to be able to figure out if the month is related to the order or the delivery.

Order Time:
    � OT Year
    � OT Month
    � OT Day

Delivered Time:
    � DT Year
    � DT…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 20

<=-=Feb 6 2008 3:18PM=-=>

Thanks, this is a good idea. We’re looking into this for upcoming releases of Analysis Services.

-Analysis Services Team

<=-=Apr 27 2008 3:39AM=-=>

I found a similar request from Chris Webb https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=144500&wa=wsignin1.0

Tiago.

<=-=Apr 28 2008 12:33AM=-=>

This is the singlemost frustrating aspect of SSAS for us.
    It effectively means that every role playing dimension that is required to have its own uique name needs to be created as a real cube dimension with the consequent impact on development time, storage space and processing time.

<=-=Oct 27 2011 6:12PM=-=>

Is this atleast addressed in SQL Server 2012 which is right now in CTP 3?

<=-=Sep 5 2012 7:36AM=-=>

I too would like to know if this has been included in SQL 2012 as we are contemplating individual dimensions (Date is killer as we have tons and very time consuming to do the identical setup…

11. Update multiple nodes / values in a XML column

It would be a great enhancement if it is possible to update a XML column like this:

UPDATE ERINOT
    SET Message.modify('
    replace value of
    ( (/Root/a)[1]/text()[1] ,
    (/Root/b)[1]/text()[1] ,
    (/Root/c)[1]/text()[1] )
    with
    ( "a", "b", "c")
    ')

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 6

<=-=Jul 9 2007 4:56PM=-=>

Dear Eric.

Thanks for the feedback. This multi-update functionality is very useful, but at the moment we are waiting for the W3C update language specification to be finalized before we add such functionality. Once that has occurred, we will look into it. The current workarounds are to either change the whole parent tree or to do the updates individually.

Best regards
    Michael

<=-=Dec 9 2007 8:46PM=-=>

or even this would be nice:
    SET x.modify('replace value of (/nodes/nodes[type=“dynamic”]/@type) with "static"’);

—Peter

<=-=Oct 18 2011 2:01PM=-=>

Here’s some additional cases:

— Modify statement chaining
    UPDATE e
    SET Message.modify(’
    replace value of
    ( (/Root/a)1/text()1 ,
    (/Root/b)1/text()1 ,
    (/Root/c)1/text()1 )
    with
    ( “a”, “b”, “c”)
    ‘).modify(’
    xml dml
    ’)
    FROM dbo.ERINOT e

12. AutoClose needs a timeout

AutoClose is no longer very useful in its original form. However with the addition of a timeout, it would be useful for a new class of issues.

Many site are now getting large numbers of databases. Having these spun up all the time is not helpful resource-wise. Setting AutoClose is great in that the database does not have to be manually put back online when accessed. However current programming models that encourage constantly closing and reopening connections mean that the files are constantly spun down and back up again.

I have clients where only a single user at a time…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Dec 13 2007 2:13PM=-=>

Thanks for this suggestion.
    We are looking at methods to safely allow a configurable timeout for autoclose databases. There are several different use-cases which would be resolved by this. Unfortunately is is not likely to make SQL 2008.

13. SSRS - Share Custom Code

Any custom code needs to be duplicated accross several reports to be accessible. Generic functions that cannot be included in .NET assemblies have to be duplicated which makes maintenance not very convenient.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 14

<=-=Oct 25 2007 6:24PM=-=>

This is a good suggestion. We’ll consider for a future release.

<=-=Nov 20 2010 11:57AM=-=>

R2 didn’t get it. Will it be available in Denali? I really would like to have easy option to re-use code (not assemblies).

<=-=Oct 4 2011 10:00AM=-=>

I’m voting this up as well. It’s a pain when you want a piece of functionality in multiple reports and are forced to duplicate the effort and maintenance to accomplish it. We probably need something similar to report parts for custom code and data sets.

14. Support for fields based on Dynamic Queries

Hi,

Sometimes we need to use dynamic sql called via EXEC (@aSQL) in T-SQL. We love this feature, which is great, but completely useless in SSRS design as expressions cannot be bound to fields that cannot be parsed by the engine.

In other words, I cannot use dynamic sql to help my reports when I perform my own pivot functions if I don't know how many columns I will have for example etc...

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. E-Mail Delivery in Reporting Services - Encryption

I would be helpful to be able to select (or de-select) whether encryption is used for a report subscription that uses E-Mail Delivery in Reporting Services. The encryption would be for both email contents and attachments.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Stop autorun of SQL reports

When you provide intelligent defaults for reports, they will autorun without giving users the option to review and change them first. This causes unecessary reads from DB and is sometimes hard to abort the processing of a report in progress (sometimes hangs).
    Typical params are date range - which we should try and default, but not automatically run report on.
    Other option at present is to pick a param to leave blank so that user has to enter something, instead of just review.
    There have been several post regarding this int he forums and MVPs say it is an often…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 9 2007 10:09AM=-=>

Thank you for filing this item. We’ll consider it as a potential improvement in a future release.

<=-=Feb 6 2009 8:32AM=-=>

This is still a very relevant need. I hope consideration will be given to incorporating a feature to prevent a report from automatically running when initially navigating to it, or when previewing it in a designer environment.

17. Discussion or Forum Like Facility on Databases, Tables and Fields, SPs or any critical MSSQL object

I dunno if this sounds absurd but it can be very useful in my opinion. I dunno if other DB products have this.

would it be nice if an individual or a team could conduct internal or private thread-like discussions (those found in forums) on every sql objects within Management Studio? A blogging or a wiki facility could be helpful too. :)

This could help improve comminucations and discussions among those involve in managing, designing and developing a DB object. Issues, changes, debates, notes can be recorded using this facility and it can persist throughout the life of the database…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Jun 13 2007 11:24AM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback! This is a very interesting suggestion. I can imagine that two categories of features might be helpful: (a) annotations and discussions on specific objects and specific databases, and (b) online annotations and discussions on object types (e.g. on a particular system stored procedure).

It is not possible to implement this feature in the next – however, we will definitely consider this suggestion in planning for a future release. If you have any more specific suggestions or thoughts on this issue, please send them along. Thanks again.

18. SSRS - Expand/Collapse Icon

The icons that are used for the expandable/collapsable sections should be configurable to fit other UI look-feel options. These icons appear as +/- for all groups and all reports today.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. better managability for expression-based connection strings

You should be able to administer expression based connection strings from Report Manager. You should be able to turn a hardcoded connection string into an expression based one. And you should be able to make a shared data source use an expression based connection string. And a shared data source which uses an expression-based connection string should be able to refer to report properties like User!UserID or report parameters or anything else. (The expression should not be validated during editing the shared data-source. If you get it wrong, it will blow up during report execution.)

As it currently is, you…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 23

<=-=Jul 20 2007 1:43PM=-=>

Thank you for filing this issue – we will consider it for a future release.

<=-=Nov 16 2010 4:21AM=-=>

We have a workaround to embed the datasource in the RDL and use a VS addin to prepare the RDL for deployment (and also the other way round if we want to have the preview functionality again in BIDS). But having this embedded datasource has another drawback: we are not able to do modifications in ReportBuilder, because ReportBuilder does not support custom data extensions. So we really need the possibility to have expression based connection strings in a shared datasource. And references to report parameters (of course not the query-based ones for which you need the datasource) should be resolved.

20. subscription monitoring report

There should be a built-in way or some sample code for setting up a daily monitoring email which tells you the status of subscriptions, snapshots, etc. It shouldn't use a SSRS subscription in case the SSRS service is down. (It's not good to rely on the technology you're monitoring for sending the monitoring emails.)

The monitoring report should tell you about which instances (i.e. rows in the data-driven subscription dataset) failed (including the data from that data-driven subscription dataset row). If the subscription is email, it should tell you which emails were undeliverable. It should also tell you which report…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base