SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Linguistics on Foreign Key Roles are using field names in Report Model Wizard

When a role is generated from a foreign key the linguistics property is being populated with autogenerated values from field names that may not make sense to the user when friendly names exist for fields and tables in database model

e.g. linguistics = Languages (LANG_ID1)s Ethnicity (LANG_ID1) etc.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Apr 5 2007 2:09PM=-=>

Thank you for this suggestion. In a future release of Model Designer we will consider allowing you to create your own rules for naming during model generation. We will also consider your suggestion for changing the autogeneration behavior.

<=-=Oct 11 2007 12:21PM=-=>

Thank you for this suggestion. In a future release of Model Designer we will consider allowing you to create your own rules for naming during model generation. We will also consider your suggestion for changing the autogeneration behavior.

2. Pipe.Send(...) in SSAS

by .NET StoredProcedures in SQL Server - Pipe.Send(...) method give you possibility to send Rows, RowSets (as result set) and strings (as a-la PRINT messages).

Mosha Pasumanski:
    "in SSAS there is only one result - either MDDataSet or Rowset.
    The only way to have second channel is to write into Trace which can be monitored with Profiler.
    There is no equivalent to SQL Server Pipe.Send() method."

But we need it! We need possibility from Custom .NET UDFs in SSAS to send at the same time Query Results and trace messages.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. add LOB support and single partition rebuild for online index operations

At present, one cannot do an online reorg on the cluster if there is any blob anywhere in the table.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 7

<=-=Jul 27 2007 12:13AM=-=>

Thanks for the feedback.

We’re currently investigating it and see if it can be fit into the next SQL Server release.

<=-=Mar 5 2010 7:13AM=-=>

I agree completely. We have huge 24×7 OLTP databases (Booking Engines) and the inability to perform an online rebuild of a single partition or indexes with LOB data is painful. Instead we have to reorganize them which both takes longer and creates substantially more transaction logging. This puts additional stress on the tran logs and requires additional storage for keeping tran log dumps.

4. Please allow hosting WinForms Controls in SSRS CRI adornment class

When writing Reporting Services Custom Report Items with complex settings it is very expensive and (dangerous regarding bugs) to re-invent the wheel for the design-mode UI. The adornment class doesn't support the use of WinForms controls, so I have to program my own button classes etc.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Reporting Services Subscription Description

Currently, the description of a Report Services subscription is "Send e-mail to..."
    Since you may have more than 1 subscription for the recipient, this is not a very effective description. Please add a description line that the user can fill out.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 11

<=-=Oct 11 2007 10:38AM=-=>

Thanks for the sugggestion. While we agree that this would be useful feature but it does not currently make the bar for SQL 2008. We will consider it for a future release.

<=-=May 26 2009 9:04AM=-=>

You can get around this annoying problem by updating the subsription table directly. I know a little risky but worth it:

USE ReportServer
    GO
    UPDATE dbo.Subscriptions Set Description = ‘A much more useful description’
    where SubscriptionID = ‘00000000-0000-4744-A225-3E776F0D561A’
    GO

BUT BE WARNED, you will have execute the update after everytime that you edit the subsription.

6. Reporting Services mhtml Export with offline links

Am currently facing an issue with a customer who would like to export reports into mhtml for offline consumption for their customers (On a CD). However, report drill-through links still points to URL, which would not work in offline format. This suggestion is to allow some way in which reports can be exported into an offline format, and also have the linked reports exported together with it with links from the first report changed to a file-path based

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Mar 7 2007 11:14AM=-=>

Thank you for requesting this functionality. We understand your scenario and agree that this would be a very useful feature. We will consider this for a future release.

<=-=May 20 2009 3:41AM=-=>

Hi there!

I am facing this same issue, is there any solution around?

I am using VS 2008 and SQL 2008.

Regards

7. Replacing a table with a named query break the model

Replacing a table with a named query will result in a bunch of error messages like the following one:

Error 1 The Nullable property for the Attribute 'SomeColumn_CD' is false, but the referenced Column 'dbo_SomeTable.SomeColumn_CD' is nullable. The Nullable property for the Attribute must match the nullability of the Column. SomeReportModel_ReportModel.smdl 0 0

(several errors below...)

Although i just replaced the table with named query, I would expect (as replacing a table with a nq normally means that you want to filter the table in some way, either horizontal or vertical) that the meatdata would stay as it is from…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Mar 23 2007 1:51PM=-=>

How do you work around the issue of table column attributes, such as nullable, not being set in a named query that uses the table?

How can I change the column attributes of the column returned by the named query?

<=-=Mar 26 2007 3:21AM=-=>

THe only workaround was to set them manually.

<=-=Oct 11 2007 11:59AM=-=>

Thank you for reporting this issue. We will consider fixing it in a future release.

8. Autogeneration of a single entity

Autoregeneration does not work the way people think of. Clicking on autogenerate for a particular entity let me assume that only the one entity which was clicked by me is regenerated (as the first wizard page also shows me only the clicked entity). But although only one entity is clicked, the whole process of regenerating all attributes / aggregates of every other entity is started. So what is the difference if I click on autogenerate for the whole model rather than clicking on a single entity ?

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 5 2007 2:37PM=-=>

Thank you for this feedback. When regenerating an item, we review the roles and related entities also. We will review this rquest and see if there are ways to change this in a future release of Model Designer.

<=-=Oct 25 2007 2:09PM=-=>

Thank you for this feedback. When regenerating an item, we review the roles and related entities also. We will review this rquest and see if there are ways to change this in a future release of Model Designer.

9. Autogeneration is misleading

Autoregeneration does not work the way people think of.

If you create a model based on a datasourceview using the wizard, you can select whether you want to include either attribute / attributes etc. Let�s assume that you only select attributes in the first place. Afterwards (after creating hierarchical folders, tuning the model, setting the properties etc., doing a bunch of work) you notice that you will also need the aggregates on some attributes. Launching the Report Model wizard again will bring you the selection screen for choosing the aggregates, but after repopulation no additional aggregates are created.

Is there…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Moving many items to folders is very slow

Moving items to folders is really slow. If several entities are selected, e.g. 40, the speed of moving these to a folder is dramatic slow. Although the speed increases with each and every folder, there is room for speed improvement. We only have a small entity model with about 350 tables. I would assume that having more than this, or moving more than 40 would kill the whole process.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Move perpectives out of the model (or side by side)

One weakness of the current project model for the report model is, that you can�t really work on one model with more than one person. We used to establish one common model where different perpectives define the way the user will have a look on the data. Cause of the perpectives being part of the model not of the actual project as a separate file / object, only one person can work at a time on the report model. This may lead to the point where you duplicate models, only to work with more than one developer on it, leading…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 5 2007 2:33PM=-=>

Thank you for the suggestion. We will consider adding this feature in a future version of Model Designer.

<=-=Oct 25 2007 1:38PM=-=>

Thank you for the suggestion. We will consider adding this feature in a future version of Model Designer.

12. SQL 2005 BPA can only run in the contect of the current user

Currently it is not possible to provide alternate uer credentials to scan a remote machine, thus it is not possible to scan remote machines outside a trusted environment.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Feb 25 2007 9:06PM=-=>

Hi,

Thanks for reporting this issue. we shall consider this as a part of our future releases.

Regards
    Vinod

<=-=Jul 18 2008 12:03PM=-=>

I’m here to lobby HARD for this feature. (It is present on the Exchange BPA tool.) This tool would be PERFECT for performing network audits when I am out visiting new prospects or revisiting our MSP customers but for the lack of this feature. One of my primary directives, as auditor, to avoid making changes to client machines at all costs. (“You touch it, you own it”, etc, etc.) As it sits, I have to RECOMMEND that the prospect install and run this tool on their own domain, and hope for positive results.

Come on, guys. This should be an easy one!

Jim Lancaster
    Dallas, TX

13. A Better more useful Data Driven report manager

It's very annoying having to pry into report server logs for data driven reports.

It would be nice to simple click on the subscription and view the individual log for each email that went out and have the ability to re-do reports that had a problem by clicking a few check boxes and force send now.

as of now:
    A) I cannot tell what went wrong in a subscription with an error like this:
    Done: 3 processed of 3 total; 3 errors.
    I need at least the ability to see who didn't get the email, was it the server or…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Feb 13 2007 1:42PM=-=>

Wasn’t there a set of sample reports available from Microsoft that would give you usage statistics for reporting services? I can’t even find that in the new SQL 2005 report pack.

<=-=Oct 11 2007 9:37AM=-=>

Thanks for the feedback. We agree that the ability to monitor and manage subscriptions could be much improved. Because of work in other areas of the product, it looks like we will not be able to make any changes in this area for SQL 2008. However, improvements in this area are high on our list for the follow-on release.

14. Support for XML Paper Specification (XPS) Output Format

Please provide the capability to render to XPS documents directly from SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS). We are standardizing on XPS for our workflow and document management but many of the documents we need to work with are generated by SSRS and right now there is no good option to create XPS documents other than to use the XPS Document Printer driver that gets installed with .NET 3.0. While this works for one at a time printing it doesn't offer us the option of automation or using schedules to generate the XPS documents.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 44

<=-=Feb 14 2007 9:42AM=-=>

Thank you for taking the time to request this feature. We will consider adding this functionality in a future release of SQL Server Reporting Services.

<=-=Jun 27 2007 5:34AM=-=>

This would be a welcomed addition to reporting services.

<=-=Nov 19 2007 7:20AM=-=>

Today I was notified that this issue has been changed from closed to active. Does this signal that there is some news about XPS support from SSRS?

<=-=Jan 28 2008 2:38AM=-=>

Customer has requested this feature. This would drive their adoption of SQL Server, and prevent a move to a competitor technology.

<=-=Jan 8 2009 12:04PM=-=>

This is the #1 item in choosing to utilize PDF or XPS. It also is a consideration as to whether or not to use Reporting Services or another technology.

15. OVER clause enhancement request - TOP OVER

SQL Server 2005 introduced only partial support for the OVER clause. It is our strong believe that a more complete implementation of the OVER clause should be prioritized highly in consideration for future enhancements in SQL Server. A more complete implementation of the OVER clause can help in solving many common business problems with simpler, more intuitive, and faster solutions than available today and also substantially reduce the need for cursors.
    The following paper details the feature enhancement requests:
    http://www.insidetsql.com/OVER_Clause_and_Ordered_Calculations.doc
    The current feedback item addresses the OVER clause enhancement request - TOP OVER, discussed in the paper in section 4…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 181

<=-=Apr 3 2007 2:10AM=-=>

TOP OVER” can be written as this in SQL Server 2005 ( top 3 with each group)

SELECT [Type],
    Number,
    RecID
    FROM (
    SELECT [Type],
    Number,
    ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION BY [TYPE] ORDER BY Number) AS RecID
    FROM master..spt_values
    ) AS x
    WHERE RecID BETWEEN 1 AND 3
    ORDER BY [Type],
    Number

<=-=Sep 11 2007 4:49PM=-=>

Note: This feedback is for a series of requests for OVER clause enhancement. These items will be looked at both individually and together in future feature design.

This feature unfortunately did not fit into our schedule for SQL Server 2008. Based on customer input, we had prioritized ORDER BY for aggregates and the ROW/RANGE feature, but in the end decided that in order for this feature to be truly useful, we needed to implement more functionality than time would allow. This is…

16. AdomdServer.MDXValue needs ToObject() method

In an MDX sproc, if I have an MDXValue object, I can't tell what it's underlying type is.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. FOR XML PATH/ROOT -- needs to handle variables

The Path and Root options of FOR XML need to be able to support variables. It seems strange that I can only supply a litteral...

The ideal thing would be to support an NVARCHAR for the name of the node/root node.

DECLARE @pInnerName NVARCHAR(50)
    DECLARE @pOuterName NVARCHAR(50)

SET @pInnerName = 'Inner'
    SET @pOuterName ='Outer'

SELECT
    col1 "col1",
    col2 "col2"
    FROM
    tmpTable
    FOR
    XML PATH(@pInnerName),
    ROOT(@pOuterName)

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Oct 9 2007 3:52PM=-=>

Dear Cedric

My apologies for the late reply. We have received your request and may consider it in a future release as part of a more general parameterization of queries. The current recommended workaround is to use dynamic SQL.

Best regards
    Michael

18. Add style or stylesheet or template to Reporting Services reports

Add style or stylesheet or template to Reporting Services reports
    We need this to improve productivity and to lower costs when we have to change details like font colors...
    A possible implementation (bu there are many othrs) is this:
    http://www.ssw.com.au/ssw/Standards/BetterSoftwareSuggestions/ReportingServices.aspx#templates

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 101

<=-=Feb 6 2007 3:25PM=-=>

Thank you for taking the time to request this functionality. We will consider adding this feature in a future release of Reporting Services.

<=-=May 17 2007 10:15AM=-=>

AutoUpd: Status Correction

<=-=Jun 10 2008 5:22AM=-=>

OMG, this isn’t going to be in 2008?!?!?!?

Cannot believe that this wasn’t added in an SP.

It makes the output from RS look amateurish as everything is slightly different.

<=-=Nov 12 2009 6:23AM=-=>

Agree that this will be an important capability. I consistently have to go through a number of manual steps to format the report to our standards. Example, I always change the font and size for tabular/matrix reports – every time. Would be nice to not have to do this. This issue is expanded when we deploy report builder to a larger user community of business users for ad hoc reporting. What ends up happening is…

19. Style toggling in Reporting Services

I could not do it on the textbox because if I do it on the textbox - the effect will be applied to all member of the group and it will make them expand at the same time. and collapse at the same time.

What I need to do in this case as I showed on the example below that user want to click on specific member of the group and it will make that member only become Bold when just that member of the group being click on and all other member of the group still in collapsed state.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Online index rebuild for tables with text, ntext, varchar(max), nvarchar(max), etc

It would be very handy if when using the ONLINE = ON flag set for an ALTER INDEX command if there is a TEXT, NTEXT, VARCHAR(MAX), NVARCHAR(MAX), IMAGE, VARBINARY(MAX) or XML datatype column it automatically switches to ONLINE = OFF.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 5

<=-=Jan 3 2007 2:45PM=-=>

Hello,

Thanks for your suggestion. We are looking into removing the current restrictions on online index build in a future release.

Sameer Verkhedkar
    SQL Server Engine
    [MSFT]

<=-=Aug 30 2011 1:23PM=-=>

This issue has been fixed in Denali, the next release of SQL Server

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base