SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make JSON string manipulation easier when an Object or Array is desired

Look at all this I have to type just to modify a JSON object in SQL. LOOK AT THIS!

Assume I start out with a pre-established jsonResponse as:

declare @jsonResponse nvarchar(max) = '{"ApplicantInfo": "", "TimeSlots": ""}'

Sometimes, I want to establish new keys, or append key/values as I get the data ready to go, and I may not have but an empty var to start with... whatever...

If I have a condition where I wanted to add "{"Status": 99}" as an OBJECT to the ApplicantInfo object ... NOTICE, I DON'T want it to be in an array, and I DON'T…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Recognize that unique filtered indexes are unique

The query optimizer should recognize that unique filtered indexes are unique. Example:

DECLARE @T table
    (

c1 integer NULL 

INDEX ic1 UNIQUE (c1)
    WHERE c1 IS NOT NULL

);

-- Unnecessary aggregate
    SELECT DISTINCT T.c1
    FROM @T AS T
    WHERE T.c1 IS NOT NULL;

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. I would like to assign colour to tabs in SQL Server Management Studio

I would like to have the ability to set colours to tabs (saved or unsaved) in SQL Server Management Studio.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Supported on Windows 10?

Is this Microsoft Report Viewer 2010 is supported on Windows 10?
    if so, Microsoft should update the system requirement section.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. pleas add: CLR assemblies with the EXTERNAL_ACCESS or UNSAFE permission set

CLR assemblies with the EXTERNAL_ACCESS or UNSAFE permission set

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Enable use of parameterized values/predicates with filtered indexes

The number of blog posts scattered around the web complaining about the inflexibility of filtered indexes due to not working with parameterized predicates are plentiful. They all attempt workarounds of various kinds, but they all have massive downsides.

Filtered indexes should work parameterized values just as well as they do with literals in order to be useful in the real world.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. SSRS Multi-Column Sort

The SSRS, SQL Server Reporting Services, Web Portal allows a user viewing a report to sort the report by clicking on a tablix column header. However, sometimes data needs to be sorted by multiple columns to look right/make sense.

For the stand alone Web Portal, please add the ability for users to specify a multiple column sort.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. dm_database_copies percent_complete

When I do an Azure Database Copy (use PowerShell), I would like to see the percent complete. I have found online that I could look at the sys.dm_database_copies table. But for the whole length of the copy operation, the percent complete stays at 0.

Is there a way to get this value to update or to find a way to get the database copy progress?

Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Rename partition functions

Allow me to rename a partition function. I don't see an option for this in the GUI and sp_rename does not seem to work. It's not clear why this can't be done.

If a partition function is to be "renamed" the only solution is to switch all the data out of any table that might be built on that partition function/scheme, drop the tables, scheme, and function, then recreate everything with the desired names and switch everything back in. It seems like a lot of manual work for an end user when there should be an API we can call…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Cannot alter column because it is 'REPLICATED' is a misleading error message

A few weeks ago, I was working with a client, and they needed to modify the same column in six different databases. Each separate database was replicating (via transactional replication) to Azure SQL Databases.
    The client made the changes and they all worked, apart from one server. It failed with the error:
    Cannot alter column 'columnname' because it is 'REPLICATED'
    I can't say I love that error message. Why is REPLICATED in quotes? (Pretend replication??)
    So I was wondering what on earth was different about the servers, or how they were configured. I did a lot of searching and I…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Cannot alter column because it is 'REPLICATED' is a misleading error message

A few weeks ago, I was working with a client, and they needed to modify the same column in six different databases. Each separate database was replicating (via transactional replication) to Azure SQL Databases.
    The client made the changes and they all worked, apart from one server. It failed with the error:
    I can't say I love that error message. Why is REPLICATED in quotes? (Pretend replication??)
    So I was wondering what on earth was different about the servers, or how they were configured. I did a lot of searching and I…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Cannot alter column because it is 'REPLICATED' is a misleading error message

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. sqlpackage ignore index state

sqlpackage.exe: Add option to ignore index state during publish, so that existing disabled indexes would not be rebuilt, or active indexes would not be disabled if marked as such in the sqlproj.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Smaller installer

I hope the "setup over network" option.
    I feel that the SQL Server install ISO is too large.
    First, copy or download the smaller installer.
    Then select options.
    Finally the required files are downloaded and installed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Can you provide some tutorials for beginners?please

Can you provide some tutorials for beginners to learn how to use SQL Server in C + + projects (such as querying a column of a table in a database or inserting data into a table in a database)?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Modifiing object in SSMS while Check for object existence is True

When Check for object existence is set to True in Scripting options, modifiing object like stored procedure generates ALTER code encapsulated with sp_executesql (so with escaped apostrophes).

This is strongly annoying for editing!

Could you change this behavior so it's usable for the purposes of the action, it means to Modify?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. SQL Server guides for dummies

Titles says it all - create SQL Server guides for dummies meaning written and even visual explanations to achieve understanding aside from using the language as the example itself. Instead of "GROUP BY
    { column-expression ROLLUP ( <groupbyexpression> [ ,...n ] ) ...", use the AdventureWorks example database and state the above code into real use terms initially for readers to view an example to utilise throughout their learning.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Session (connection) global temporary table

Please consider adding a third category of temporary table, one that is scoped for the current session, accessible no matter in what context it is created during that session. This would function similar to current global temporary tables, except the table would only be accessible to the current connection.

This would allow for the creation of a local temporary table created by dynamic SQL to be accessible by execution contexts outside the scope of the dynamic SQL (e.g., the context initiating the execution of the dynamic SQL).

I believe similar functionality is already available with Azure Synapse with SQL pool.…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Dynamic Data Masking - limitation external tables

In an external table, data masking appears to be unsupported.

ALTER TABLE XXXX

ALTER COLUMN Name ADD MASKED WITH (FUNCTION = 'default()');

The feature 'ALTER TABLE' is not supported with external tables.

1. It would be great if it were supported.

2. note this as a (current) limitation in the documentation https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/security/dynamic-data-masking?view=sql-server-ver15#limitations-and-restrictions

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base