SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow to use SQLCMD variables in SSDT for MAX_QUEUE_READERS

I would like to set different values for MAXQUEUEREADERS in production and development environments.

To do it I tried following SQL:

CREATE QUEUE Queue
    WITH ACTIVATION (

PROCEDURE_NAME = ActivationProc,

MAX_QUEUE_READERS = $(WorkerPoolSize),
    EXECUTE AS OWNER);

SSDT reports syntax error at $(WorkerPoolSize) during build.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow parallel processing of multidimensional models in Analysis Services on SQL Standard

Currently, the Standard edition of Analysis Services doesn't support parallel processing of partitions in multidimensional models. This was confirmed to us by Microsoft Support but appears to be an undocumented limitation, as it is not documented in the edition comparison: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/analysis-services/analysis-services-features-supported-by-the-editions-of-sql-server-2016?view=sql-analysis-services-2017

I suggest that parallel processing of partitions in multidimensional models should be enabled in SQL Standard. This would align to the fact that SQL Standard does allow multiple partitions per Measure Group in a multidimensional model (up to three), and allow Analysis Services to utilize all the cores available on a server. SQL Standard supports up to 24 cores,…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Extend support for more methods on Sequence objects

Just like other RDMS has support for both NEXTVAL and CURRVAL, I would like SQL Server to support
    SELECT CURRENT VALUE FOR dbo.MySequenceObject;

I know sys.sequences have support for this, but only on 2017 and later.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. I want to get SQL 2017 offline help document.

My develop PC can not connect internet. So I can not use online help document. How can I download offline help document?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Support for CHECK_POLICY and CHECK_EXPIRATION on SQL Server on Linux.

This is one of the problems when migrating from the Windows version to the Linux version.
    I'm hoping that the policy option 'CHECKPOLICY' and 'CHECKEXPIRATION' will be implemented in SQL Server on Linux.

If this policy uses the Windows API, it may be difficult to implement it in the Linux version.
    However, I would like the security features to be similar for Windows and Linux.

>A standard password policy is provided. MUSTCHANGE is the only option you may configure. CHECKPOLICY option is not supported.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/linux/sql-server-linux-security-overview?view=sql-server-ver15

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. The NOLOCK hint should be renamed more accurately to NORESPECT

The NOLOCK hint often gets used because its name seems to indicate that the query using it will not take any locks. Who could blame someone for making that mistake?

The hint should be renamed to NORESPECT, to indicate its true form: not respecting locks taken by other queries.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. SSMS should be updated with system updates in the same way as applications are updated in Linux, maybe in 2048?

Have a repository where you have all your products and updates accessible (license limitation can be done in the same way as RedHat has done), so users needs just one tool to update everything and system always can be up2date.
    Sadly you failed to utilise Daniel Robbins who worked for you and was prepared to make a proper repository system.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. deny non admin sql users to see partition(C:\..etc) when they trying to restore db or deny restor options for nonadmin sql users.

deny non admin sql users to see partition(C:..etc) when they trying to restore db or deny restor options for nonadmin sql users.

---As you can see in photo link i want to deny non admin sql users to see partition when they trying to restore db or deny restor options for nonadmin sql users.
    Non admin users have this permissions:
    non admin users can see only the database where they are owner and can read and write master db.
    How can i do that...?

photo link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ccptvbls3bg3mjm/sql2017.png?dl=0

how i want to be like in sql 2012:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xz9fu3m70b02erm/sql2012.png?dl=0

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Shortcut key to run query.

Like Oracle SQL Developer, pressing Ctrl + Enter will run the selected query only. The segment of the query is divided by semicolon (;) . Please consider this so bad.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Remove inactive Compute Scalar operators from the execution plan

When a Compute Scalar is in an execution plan, then depending on what exactly has to be computed, in many cases the computation is actually performed elsewhere (as described at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/sql/sql-server-2008-r2/ms178082(v=sql.105)?redirectedfrom=MSDN) and the Compute Scalar does nothing anymore. This makes execution plans look more complex then they need to be, and when there's a bad cardinality estimate, the arrow width as rendered in Management Studio gets confusing.
    Please add a post-processing step to the optimizer that looks at each Compute Scalar operator. If any of its computations will actually be done in another operator, then add the formula as…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Change Estimated Number of Rows if post-optimization rewrite pushes a filter Predicate into an operator.

There are cases (the ones I know of are related to bitmap filters) where a predicate is evaluated by an explicit Filter operator in the final output of the optimizer process, but then pushed into a scan operator in a post-optimization rewrite.
    Example: Node ID 10 is a Clustered Index Scan with no Predicate, that returns 10 million rows to Node ID 9, a Filter with Predicate "PROBE(...)"; the 20 thousand rows that match the bitmap are then returned to Node ID 8. After the post-optimization rewrite, this changes and now there is no Node ID 9; Node ID 10…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Don't use Number of Rows Read for arrow width in execution plans

In 2017, the rendering of execution plans has been changed to use the Number of Rows Read property, rather than the Actual Number of Rows property, as the basis for the arrow width in the graphical execution plan. And based on your reply to https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server/suggestions/32719306-incorrect-arrow-width-in-execution-plans-ssms-17 this was a deliberate choice, not a bug.

Please consider revisiting and reverting this choice.
    While I do understand and appreciate the desire to have a simple visual indication of work done by operators in the execution plan, using the outgoing arrow for this is not the correct choice.

One reason is that it's inconsistent.…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Base arrow width in execution plans on Estimated Number of Rows for All Executions

In the 18.5 update of SSMS, the graphical representation of execution plans relabel the "Estimated Number of Rows" property as "Estimated Number of Rows Per Execution", and add the (computed) "Estimated Number of Rows for All Executions". This is a huge improvement that can prevents many mistakes.
    However, in the rendered execution plan (for an execution plan only, aka estimated execution plan), the width of the arrow is still based on the Estimated Number of Rows (per execution). So if the inner input of a Nested Loops join is estimated to execute 5 billion times and process less then 10…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Need to be able to list files in Azure BLOB storage, not just open them

in Azure SQL Database, OPENROWSET does a great job of reading files (like CSV/TSV files) from Azure BLOB storage.

But there's currently no way from within Azure SQL Database to read the list of files that are currently in a container. That's a significant feature gap.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Make JSON string manipulation easier when an Object or Array is desired

Look at all this I have to type just to modify a JSON object in SQL. LOOK AT THIS!

Assume I start out with a pre-established jsonResponse as:

declare @jsonResponse nvarchar(max) = '{"ApplicantInfo": "", "TimeSlots": ""}'

Sometimes, I want to establish new keys, or append key/values as I get the data ready to go, and I may not have but an empty var to start with... whatever...

If I have a condition where I wanted to add "{"Status": 99}" as an OBJECT to the ApplicantInfo object ... NOTICE, I DON'T want it to be in an array, and I DON'T…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Recognize that unique filtered indexes are unique

The query optimizer should recognize that unique filtered indexes are unique. Example:

DECLARE @T table
    (

c1 integer NULL 

INDEX ic1 UNIQUE (c1)
    WHERE c1 IS NOT NULL

);

-- Unnecessary aggregate
    SELECT DISTINCT T.c1
    FROM @T AS T
    WHERE T.c1 IS NOT NULL;

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. I would like to assign colour to tabs in SQL Server Management Studio

I would like to have the ability to set colours to tabs (saved or unsaved) in SQL Server Management Studio.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Supported on Windows 10?

Is this Microsoft Report Viewer 2010 is supported on Windows 10?
    if so, Microsoft should update the system requirement section.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. pleas add: CLR assemblies with the EXTERNAL_ACCESS or UNSAFE permission set

CLR assemblies with the EXTERNAL_ACCESS or UNSAFE permission set

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Enable use of parameterized values/predicates with filtered indexes

The number of blog posts scattered around the web complaining about the inflexibility of filtered indexes due to not working with parameterized predicates are plentiful. They all attempt workarounds of various kinds, but they all have massive downsides.

Filtered indexes should work parameterized values just as well as they do with literals in order to be useful in the real world.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base