SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide examples for different pattern scenarios in the data classification policy file.

For example, if I want to provide a pattern that searches for columns that have CCN in the name, but not "lastfour" in the column name. Can I do something like this: "Pattern": "%ccn$", NOT "%LASTFOUR%".
    I don't know if there are any other types of use for the Pattern keyword, but I can't seem to find any documentation about modifying the policy file.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Le bouton déboguer nous manque pour déboguer pas à pas les scripts SQL

Disposer d'un boutton par défaut permettant d'exécuter un script SQL pas à pas pour faire des testes. Comme on peut le faire dans visual studio

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Error Handling within User Define Functions is extremely missing

I would like to write a user defined function to convert a data which is given as a string into the datetime2 datatype. The functionality of "convert" is not sufficient for my purpose. Unfortunately, my data to be converted has data quality issues, and some of the records (out of millions) contain invalid dates.
    I would like to process my data in a bulk operation, however, if I have to use error handling, I cannot avoid using a stored procedure with using a loop.
    My task would be much easier, if I could already handle the error in the UDF,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. easy edit xml column in ssms

Make eidting an xml column as esasy as editing a column of other types in SSMS. If this is possible I could not locate it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Tutorial. Part - Script objects in SQL Server Management Studio

In part: Script T-SQL when you back up a database, is wrong image, it display to select Policies but in description piont Tasks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Getting "a new guard page for the stack cannot be created" error while launching Microsoft SQL Server studio 18.6

Getting "a new guard page for the stack cannot be created" error while launching Microsoft SQL Server studio 18.6 in Windows 10. Any suggestions how to fix this? .NET framework installed is 4.8

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Replication Support on DAG Clusters

Would like to see support for a replication distributer functionality on DAG (Distributed Availability Groups) .

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/databa

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Transactionless Table

It would be nice to be able to set an table to work as a transactionless table / log table.

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[mylogtable]
    (
    ) AS LOGTABLE

That way we could log directly into a table, with out having it rollback, if the code fails...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Organized data to boost the performance My idea is about to boost the database performance, I am not sure how much its feasible for program

Organized data to boost the performance

My idea is about to boost the database performance, I am not sure how much its feasible for programmer to apply this idea on sql server database.

Idea : programme the database in a way so the table takes the data for each column and save in ordering manners like alphabetic or numeric, suppose a table have EMPNAME column and when we entering the data into EMPNAME so it will place the data in below manner

EMP_NAME ='SCOTT'  -- save at S partition within column -- Note :- We are not creating
    1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. In SSMS make the dialogue boxes dockable so they can be added as a tabbed document in SSMS.

Windows such as Backup wizard, Restore wizard, Shrink File, Agent Activity monitor, Replication Activity Monitor, etc. need to be able to be docked into the tabbed documents section of SSMS. These windows stay up while the work they are doing is running and continue to persist once they are done. It would be nice to be able to see their progress (they are still running) similar to an executing query while you work on something else instead of getting buried in the stack of windows on the desktop.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. SqlPackage dotnet global tool

Add a dotnet global tool installer for SqlPackage

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Throttle Azure Block Blob Backups

Background

When taking a compressed database backup to Azure Blob Blob storage we are required to set the MAXTRANSFERSIZE (4194304) and BLOCKSIZE (65536) as per BOL. In addition, as each BLOCK blob supports 200GB of space we are required to stripe backups to accommodate larger databases i.e. to back up a database with a backup size of 999GB will require the user to stripe a full back up across 5 files.

Example
    A user migrates their database to Azure (IAAS) running services on a StandardDS14v2 VM. As the database grows the DBA takes action and increase the stripe…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. SSRS Ability to Upload Multiple Reports at Once

I know there's a way to upload multiple files using complicated scripts, but why doesn't SSRS come with the ability for multiple uploads. This would be especially helpful for less technical users.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Persist SSMS user settings (Tools => Options) immediately (and if possible across active instances)

The UserSettings file is only updated upon SSMS exit. Consequences include 1) if the SSMS process gets shut down before saving, changes don't persist, 2) opening simultaneous SSMS instances can cause one to obliterate the other (and make changes in one invisible to the other). The UserSettings file should not be updated unless there is a meaningful change. Otherwise, changes written by instance #1 will be overridden when exiting instance #2 - even if #2 didn't change anything.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Workspaces

Its a pain to reopen and save queries or on shutdown to loose all your work/be forced to save it. Please create a virtual workspace (json) or temp file. As a use closing SSMS should prompt me to save my workspace(s). Opening SSMS should open my active workspaces. As a user I would like to convert my temp query files to .sql etc. Colored borders would be nice and the ability to assign a group of instances or dbs to workspace could be future story.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Identity columns need min/max cycle options.

Currently if you have an identity when it reaches the upper limit of its data type bad things happen even if there is ample space in the data type below the range that's in use. This creates extra work for the DBA; checking identity column values, checking maximum values of identity columns, reseeding the columns frequently, etc. This is particularly frustrating on staging tables that blow through millions of identity values a day.
    I've looked into using a SEQUENCE with a cycle option, but this means rewriting code to use the sequence object. Any chance like a SEQUENCE the IDENTITY…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Display the object count in SSMS folders

The SSMS folder structure is:

INSTANCE.
    +---DATABASE

+---Database Diagrams

+---Tables
    +---Views
    +---Enternal Resources
    +---Synonyms
    +---Programmability
    | +---Stored Procedures
    | +---Functions
    | | +---Table-valued Functions
    | | +---Scalar-valued Functions
    | | +---Aggregate Functions
    | | \---System Functions
    | +---Database Triggers
    | +---Assemblies
    | +---Types
    | +---Rules
    | +---Defaults
    | +---Plan Guides
    | \---Sequences
    +---Service Broker
    +---Storage
    \---Security

It would be helpful if we could see something like this, showing the number of objects in brackets for example:

INSTANCE.
    +---DATABASE

+---Database Diagrams (2)

+---Tables (58)
    +---Views (34)
    +---Enternal Resources (0)
    +---Synonyms (4)
    +---Programmability
    | +---Stored Procedures (82)
    | +---Functions
    | | +---Table-valued
    1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Enhance Option IGNORE_DUP_KEY with "OVERWRITE"

If inserting Data, you can define OFF or ON (OFF the default) OFF means Insert bails out (error 16) if it finds a double and On means it ignores the double value,
    That means in reality always the OLDEST entry is saved.

To have the Option OVERWRITE would mean to overwrite the old value with a newer one so that the result would be, that you always have automatically the latest (newest) entry saved, without having to use a complicated merge for that...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Slow down SSMS releases

Please don't iterate SSMS releases too fast - this often leads to new Bugs in the product.
    Slow it down please. We want stable releases of SSMS , not ones filled with Bugs. Take your time and don't rush these releases.
    This should apply to all products at Microsoft.
    This Agile way of releasing product versions too often, leads to a nightmare, as it introduces newer bugs.

Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. User wants to

User wants to collect performance and usage statistics on on-premise SSAS, currently the solution is for troubleshooting and short-term monitoring as tool like X event will consume server resources, is there any tool or feature will be released for a long term solution.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base