SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. New Mining Algorithm: Ensemble Model

Add a new mining algorithm called "Ensemble Model" which can be used to create a mining model based upon other existing mining models. The source mining models would have to have identical (or at least overlapping) predictable fields.

Multiple models could be used in a number of ways, most of which are enumerated in "Mastering Data Mining" by Berry and Linoff around page 216. For instance, one way multiple models can be combined is by voting. If both models give the same prediction, the probability of that prediction from the ensemble model is higher. Or another way to combine multiple…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enable drillthrough on calculated measures

Today you can drillthrough only the "real" measures. It would be better to drillthrough also the calculated measures. To do that, it would be useful to be able to define an MDX expression that defines a subcube (of "real" cells and not calculated ones) to be used for drillthrough in place of the original selection/cell.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 53

<=-=Oct 12 2006 6:54PM=-=>

Thank you for this feature suggestion. We’re going to consider it for a future product release.

<=-=Sep 25 2012 12:53PM=-=>

any update?

<=-=Jul 10 2013 9:40AM=-=>

Drillthrough is ludicrously “hassle-y” as it is (e.g. when compared to ssas2000), and considering one is at times forced to create calculated measures passing real ones through unchanged just to be able to present them in an ordering and grouping the customer demands. Main mitigation: As it is almost imossible to control field ordering and impossible to provide user-friendly field names, discouraging clients from wanting drillthroughs is the way to go…

<=-=Apr 2 2014 5:19AM=-=>

Any update!??

<=-=Mar 10 2015 9:01PM=-=>

Just wanna know when will add this feature

3. Add filters and default members to perspectives

It would be useful to select member filters and default members on each single perspective.
    Another important thing could be to be able to rename a dimension/attribute/measure into a perspectve (then you need to add perspective to translation system, so it would be good to translate only the changed descriptions).

I have a lot of scenarios where perspective is useless without all these features. A way is to create linked measure groups and linked dimensions, but when you already built a single cube it is not so easy (it is better to start with small cubes and then link them…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 14

<=-=Oct 12 2006 6:56PM=-=>

Thank you for this feature suggestion. We’re going to consider it for a future product release.

<=-=Oct 22 2006 2:06AM=-=>

I would also like to have perspectives related to security/roles in SSAS.

Regards
    Thomas Ivarsson

4. Database Recovery - Perform Rollback To A point in time

If a database is in fully logged mode it would be nice when a user does something really stupid to be able to rollback the database to a point in time without having to restore the full backup and then use the transaction log backups to roll forward to that point in time.

I have in mind something similar to the functionality in db2 or the flashback feature in oracle which quickly allow you to get back the data the user has mucked up without having to perform a full restore of the database and the required transaction logs

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 45

<=-=Oct 11 2006 10:09AM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback. We’ll consider this for future releases of SQL Server. In the mean time you may want to take a look at Database Snapshots. They provide some of this capability, though you will need to create them up front.

Thanks again,

- Christian Kleinerman

5. Improve error messages with missing semi-colons

The requirement for all service broker statements to be seperated from previous statements by semi-colons leads to numerous "incorrect syntax near <command>" errors during development.

The error is far from helpful especially in the situation in which a IF statement is used with a begin end block. In this situation the semi colon needs to follow the END statement. This in itself is confusing.

Can you please enhance the error message such that when a semi-colon is missing preceeding a statement that the error message states that a semi colon may be required

The error messages in SQL 2005 have…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. SSRS - Adding "LIKE" filter criteria to report builder

The Report Builder application which is bundled with SSRS includes a variety of filter criteria, including "in a list", "contains", etc. There no ability to filter with wildcards and a "LIKE" statement.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 4

<=-=Sep 15 2006 4:27PM=-=>

Thank you submitting this request. Report Builder has a “contains” operator for string fields but no capability for wildcards today. We will consider this request for a future release.

<=-=Nov 4 2007 9:21PM=-=>

Bring considering for post RS 2008 release.

<=-=Jun 13 2013 10:28AM=-=>

Does this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc627464.aspx mean it is “Fixed”?

7. SSRS - wildcard support in expressions

Sql Server reporting services has a variety of built in functions used to create expressions and formulas. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa337348.aspx

The text functions do not support wildcard matches, particularly the FIND function.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. TOP-Level XQuery

Currently, any medium to advance level XML query requires at least knowledge in 3 different languages, and they are all mixed inside the same code churn: T-SQL, XQUERY, XPATH.
    This reminds me a lot the old days when we had ASP pages with HTML, XML islands, VBScript and server-side code together on the same page.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Aug 30 2006 5:15PM=-=>

Dear Adolfo

Thanks for your valuable feedback. We will look into your request and consider it for one of the upcoming releases based on general customer usability and other prioritizations.

Best regards
    Michael

PS: Please do not forget to vote and indicate your priority.

<=-=May 19 2008 7:49AM=-=>

As you know, the XQuery expressions currently only operate on a single XML datatype instance and not across a set of XML documents. While you could theoretically stuff everything into a single XML row and column, and simplify the XQuery expression, the resulting system would not scale well (too many locks on inserts) and would not perform well. Also, as Adolfo explains, to do queries over different XML documents, the query is mixed between XQUERY, T-SQL and XPATH.

There is real feature to develop for SQL 08 and it is a concept of…

9. Add a Trim function

There is no Trim function, instead we need to call LTrim(RTrim()) each time we want to perform this operation.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 36

<=-=Jul 26 2007 11:32PM=-=>

We are currently looking at this to see if it fits for the next SQL Server release. Until it’s supported, please use LTRIM/RTRIM together as a workaround.

<=-=Apr 30 2009 6:27AM=-=>

Why do a work-around when people clearly need this. Gosh, FIX IT!

<=-=Oct 19 2009 3:38AM=-=>

It’s really annoying the amount of little helper functions we’re expected to manually implement. Why make life painful for developers? I’d definitely like to see a Trim function added, along with some other common basic ones like string padding, etc.

<=-=Feb 3 2010 9:46AM=-=>

While a TRIM function would be nice, it would be even better if the TRIM function would include a parameter for the character to be stripped (and to have LTRIM and RTRIM modified to support the same parameter). Often I deal with strings that have been padded with zeros. Converting to…

10. Comment: -- + space

In previous versions of query analyzer a comment would be two dashes and a space. This allowed me to quickly isolate a line by placing the cursor at the last position (in the line), typing ctrl + shift + home + right arrow key. This quick and efficient key combo allowed for quick line execution w/o disrupting the flow or the current code set that is being coded/debugged. Now not only does Management Studio not add the space, but if I open a file created from SQL 2000�s query analyzer (which has the space) the key-combo described above does not…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Sep 11 2006 3:13PM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. We will consider this for a future release of SQL Server.

<=-=Oct 29 2007 11:34AM=-=>

We will manage this request combined with Connect Feedback ID 275503.
    We do understand the need and value of this feature. Currently, there are multiple projects that could provide features that help users validate and debug Transact SQL script such as Intellisense (client error flagging) and T-SQL Debugger. Selective execution (statement / batch) via shortcut keys would be a simple approach as a Intellisense feature.

Thanks,
    -Eric

11. All Databases are Listed in SSMS

I am a user of a one database server. when I loged-in from that user to the DB server, all the databases are listed in the left hand side pane.

In Query Analyser in SQL Server 2000 only the databases which this user can access is shown.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Transact-SQL ???? ??????????? IN ????????

Transact-SQL ???? ??????????? IN ??????????
    ??????????? IN ???Oracle?PostgreSQL ??????????

????????????????
    http://oga89.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2006/07/sqlserver1afc.html

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Dec 13 2007 3:26PM=-=>

My apologies for the late reply. Thanks for your feedback. We will consider adding multiple column references in the IN clause for a future release.

We would appreciate if you could indicate with a vote how important this functionality is for you.

Best regards
    Michael

<=-=Jul 22 2008 2:13PM=-=>

Hi,
    I am resolving this request as a duplicate of another one in our system. We will look at adding row constructor support that will enable the functionality you are seeking.

Thanks
    Umachandar, SQL Programmability Team

<=-=Mar 23 2010 1:33PM=-=>

Hi,
    This feedback item has been resolved as duplicate of one below:

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/262284/row-types-and-constructors-sql99-features-t051-f641?wa=wsignin1.0

Thanks
    Umachandar

13. XML: need triggers for XML updates

Need an ability to define a trigger on an XML update. The trigger will modify other data within the same XML document.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. XML: Computed attributes and ability to index them

Need to be able to express a value of an attribute on a node as a function of other data in the same XML document.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Aug 17 2006 4:50PM=-=>

Dear Dmitri

Thanks for your feedback.

Do I understand your request correctly in that you would like the ability to define active XML views over XML documents (and relational data) using XQuery and FOR XML so that changes to the underlying data will be reflected in the documents? Also the ability to index these views?

Thanks
    Michael

15. XML: Ability to index selected attributes

We do not want to incur the penalty of index update for ALL attribute writes. Need to support both indexes on attribute value, as well as element + attribute value (the latter is needed for doing attribute-based searches within a subtree).

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Diagram Copy and Paste

We should be able to copy and paste tables from Diagram (all of them: Database, Olap, Data Source Views...) into other diagrams and 'dumb' targets like Word.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

<=-=Apr 16 2007 1:16PM=-=>

You can right-click on the database diagram and choose “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste it in Word.

<=-=Jan 14 2008 11:53AM=-=>

Thanks for reporting this issue. We will consider this for a future release.

Regards,
    Robert Zare

17. XML Index - More focused type of index

XML indexes are indexing whole content of the field of xml type.
    This is valid when field is used for small xml documents or fragments.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Aug 17 2006 4:48PM=-=>

Dear Dejan

Thanks for your feedback.

I understand that you would like the ability to have a functional XML index capability. We will be looking into this functionality for one of the upcoming releases.

Best regards
    Michael

<=-=Aug 24 2006 5:39AM=-=>

As an alternative consider the use of XML methods in indexed views (currently not allowed).

18. XQuery using a Parameter with .nodes - I need to Parameterize an entire XPath

Denis:

Thanks for the reply.

You wrote: The workaround would be to build the entire SQL query dynamically
    and to run
    it using sp_executesql.

I'm not sure I follow here. I don't want to send the path from my
    application (client) to the database. Is there a way to send something else,
    let's say from a Switch statement, that SQL can use to pick the correct path,
    or perhaps I ought to just write SPROCs for each path I want to
    execute...that would be a lot of SPROCS/paths.

Thanks,

Paul

"Denis Ruckebusch [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi,
    >
    >
    > The…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 33

<=-=Aug 24 2006 2:42PM=-=>

Thanks for the feedback. We are looking into providing such functionality for one of the upcoming releases.

<=-=Nov 3 2006 4:13PM=-=>

I second his opinion, forcing xpaths to be literal is far too restrictive. At least allow them to be generated strings (as it is now they must be string literals).

<=-=Jun 4 2007 1:49PM=-=>

This is def. important to be able to shred the XML without using dynamic SQL and exposing the code to threats.

<=-=Mar 4 2008 8:25AM=-=>

I concur. This would be of tremendous benefit as I have similar XML documents with different namespaces as an inheritance tree and have struggled to get a workaround.

<=-=Feb 25 2009 11:48AM=-=>

This is a no brainer in my book. It needs to be done, end of story. Dynamic sql is a pain to work with and shouldn’t be the recommended way

<=-=Jul 26…
  19. ReportServer (TempDB) Mirror capability

I have mirroring set up for the two databases installed with Reporting Services (ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB). My databases are mirrored with "High Availability" (eg Synchronous with a Witness inplace). Unfortunately I have not found anywhere to input the connection string to include the Failover Partner. The only place I know of where I can specify the database connection for the report server is in the Reporting Services Configuration tool. If it is possible to set up Reporting Services to make use of mirroring with Automatic failover for the Report server databases, I would gladly accept guidance on this matter.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 11

<=-=Aug 7 2006 5:20PM=-=>

No connection string is necessary from the report server to the report server temporary database. The communication to this database is handled through stored procedures in the report server database. The name of the temp db is name bound to the original name of the report server database plus an extension. So the report server database expects a temporary database to exist with a conforming name in the same sql server instance. As such, after you mirror both databases, when you need to switch to the mirror, you just point the report server to the report server database and the rest should take care of itself. Hope that helps.

<=-=Aug 8 2006 6:04PM=-=>

I believe you may have misunderstood what my issue is here. I require automated failover to my failover SQL Server instance (on another server)

You have stated: “When you need to…

20. Script Logins with SID, Hashed password & Server Permissions

When scripting a SQL Server authenticated login in the management studio, would be good if it could include the hashed password & the SID.

Also, when scripting all logins would be good if it could include Role Permissions and other permissions.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Jul 12 2006 8:09AM=-=>

You recently took the time to make some suggestions about how we can improve your experience with SQL Server. I have reviewed your comments and have some questions.

You said “When scripting a SQL Server authenticated login in the management studio, would be good if it could include the hashed password & the SID. Also, when scripting all logins would be good if it could include Role Permissions and other permissions.”

1. For 2005 and onward, SQL Server does not support hashed password migration. I can’t help you with this portion of your request.
    2. Is this correct? When you script the login from management studio, you want the SID to appear in the generated script, unlike today, where it doesn’t.
    3. Can you fill me in more on roles and permissions? Here is what I think you want. You want to, from…

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base