SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SSRS Export to Excel binary format (.xlsb)

SSRS Export to Excel binary format (.xlsb)

Excel binary format reduces file size by more 50% and reduces the amount of time it takes to open large Excel files. This makes a big difference when working with many large reports whose primary export target is Excel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make possible to use Dynamics 365 (with Odata API 9.0/9.1) as Data source in SSAS

I'm trying to create a new SSAS tabular model with Dynamics 365 as source. When I try the connection with Odata API 9.0 or 9.1 in Visual Studio, it's not working and i get an error message
    Everything is working fine with version 8.1/8.2. Url used looks like : https://mytenant.crm4.dynamics.com/api/data/v9.0

Moreover, trying the same connection (with Odata API 91) works fine in Power BI Desktop.
    I try to do that with :
    Visual Studio 2017 (version 15.9.21) and Analysis Services extension (version 2.9.6)
    Visual studio 2019 (vrsion 16.5.4) and Analysis Services extension (version 2.9.8)
    With version 8.2, there are no…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. SQL Spatial View -- allow multiple geography objects to be displayed

Currently, (as far as I can tell), we can only view a SINGLE geography object within the SSMS Spatial View.

It would be very helpful to view MULTIPLE geography objects within the SSMS Spatial View. For example, if I have a SELECT statement that uses a polygon and a point, I would like to visualize whether or not the point is inside or outside of the polygon. Currently, we can only view individual objects.

Please change the Spatial View so that we can select multiple columns for display (and optionally assign a color to each; or automatically assign a different…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. SSMS - "Save Results As..." for multiple result sets

Be able to save all returned results sets into a single file. See attached screenshot. currently it only saves the result set that I right-clicked on. I would like to save all result sets. The data came from a stored procedure and union'ing my 60+ stored proecedure call results is a pain.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Hotkey to close a tab without saving

I suggest to add feature to close a tab with a script without saving and any confirmations "Save changes to the following items?".

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. T-SQL Window Function to allow Parameter in the Frame clause

Would you consider adding the option to parameterize the Frame offset by either a field that holds a value in a row or a parameter?

These scripts don't run. I'm using MSSQL 2016 engine

Sum(value) over(partition by [Field1]
    rows between CurrentRow and 3+Fieldvalue following)

Sum(value) over(partition by [Field1]
    rows between CurrentRow and 3+@ParamValue following)

FieldValue and @paramValue are not recognized.

This addition would allow less complexities in adding queries to shift rows within a frame helping avoiding making additional recursive queries or self joins between same tables.

Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. AutoHide Options

Instead of having the adjustable Message/output tab, it can be implemented with Autohide option. Because, when it goes to large number of lines (Queries) the Query panel on top becomes scrollable which makes Inconvenient for developers to code. So, the Message/Output box can be implemented with Autohide options.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. MAKE SQL SERVER INSTALLATION TO LEARN MSBI !!!!!SIMPLE!!!!!!!!!

I have thought of learning MSBI stack and found that it is very challenging and time consuming, can easily frustrate a person to develop these skills
    Why
    1) the sql server various flavors are not compatible
    2) the support from microsoft docs are like reading long interconnected docs and i think only 1% of people would have this
    time and patience
    3)You could add videos
    4) Personally, I found it very tough to learn by-myself as a beginner.

I am not facing issues in SQL or dataflow/controlflow only for the setup

5) For example attaching issues and not finding simple…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. SSRS: Unable to launch specific Report in Report Builder using Report Server URL.

In SQL 2014 we were using URL

"https://localhost:56300/ReportServer/ReportBuilder/MSReportBuilder.application?<ReportPath>"

to launch a report in Report Builder. Now in SQL 2019 it is not working.
    Please provide this feature back in SQL 2019.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Dynamic data deidentification (dynamic data masking enhancement)

Existing data masking feature has limitation - when query is executed it compares the data to actual value stored in row. This allows brut force attack on dynamically data masked column to output the actual record for the column which is attacked. Even though presented column will display masked number but attacker knows the original value of that field.

Instead of comparing the original value stored inside the database, if feature allows me with trace flag or any other way to compare data to masked value. It will result in completely unknown records and attacker will not be able to…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Enable ANSI support for Microsoft JDBC Driver for SQL Server

Microsoft's JDBC driver currently supports Unicode (nvarchar) & the much older ASCII character-set, but does not support ANSI (varchar). By adding an optional "CodePage" connection property to specify the ANSI code-page, in conjunction with the existing "SendStringParametersAsUnicode" boolean property, support for ANSI character-sets could be easily configured so that the JDBC driver supports the 2 native SQL Server string data-types (i.e. nvarchar & varchar).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add a right click per database certificate wizard for quick import and export to different systems for restore, ect.

Add a wizard for quick import and export of certificates at all levels database and server for move from one to another database server. Building a quicker single secure file to transport. This and to be able to push the database certificate quickly when doing emergency TDE encrypted db restores.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Management studio: Highlight table/view name in query and run top 1000 select from it

Would speed parsing querys/views if it would be possible to highlight table/view name in From clause and right click to get Select top 1000 from that table.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Alpine

Alpine Linux container.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. It's 2020 and MSSQL still can't cast or convert from/to user-defined types

Come on, Microsoft - this should be as simple as using the metadata from sys.types. Look, even I can do it:

<code>
    declare @SystemTypeId tinyint,

@MaxLength    smallint

select @SystemTypeId = systemtypeid, @MaxLength = maxlength from sys.types where name = 'youruserdefinedtype_name';

declare @TypeFullName sysname = type_name(@SystemTypeId) + (case

when @SystemTypeId in (167, 175) then &#39;(&#39; + cast(@MaxLength as varchar) + &#39;)&#39;

when @SystemTypeId in (239, 231) then &#39;(&#39; + cast((@MaxLength / 2) as varchar) + &#39;)&#39;
    else &#39;&#39;
    end);

exec('select cast(somethingtobe_cast as ' + @TypeFullName + ');');
    </code>

The above is ugly and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. It's 2020 and MSSQL still can't cast or convert from/to user-defined types

Come on, Microsoft - this should be as simple as using the metadata from sys.types. Look, even I can do it:

```
    declare @SystemTypeId tinyint,

@MaxLength    smallint

select @SystemTypeId = systemtypeid, @MaxLength = max_length from sys.types where name = 'TenantId';

--select * from sys.types;

declare @TypeName sysname = (select name from sys.types where systemtypeid = @SystemTypeId and usertypeid = @SystemTypeId and isuserdefined = 0 and istabletype = 0);

declare @TypeFullName sysname = @TypeName + (case

when @SystemTypeId in (167, 175) then &#39;(&#39; + cast(@MaxLength as varchar) + &#39;)&#39;

when @SystemTypeId
    0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Database-level configuration option for 'COLLATE DATABASE_DEFAULT'

There should be a database-level configuration option to implicitly add the clause 'COLLATE DATABASE_DEFAULT' wherever it has not been already defined, e.g. in a CREATE TABLE statement of a temporary table. In this way, we can avoid modifying all SQL statements to handle cases with different collations between master and user databases. We should also be able to override this setting with a session-level SET option.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. SQL Coding Standard missing in the SQL Server documentation

While the product has been in existance since long, MS has failed to share the coding standards for SQL programming under the SQL Server documentation section.
    While there are coding standards for C# available in the C# documentation section, the coding standards for SQL Server are missing.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. SQL Transactional Replication - identify transaction

Transactional replication is configured and running:
    SRC/DIST/TGT: SQL Server 2017 14.0.3281.6
    SRC - DIST - TGT
    TGT - DIST - SRC

1) I have configured transaction replication (uni-dir) for tableA SRC->DIST->TGT. Also configured another trans replication for same table "tableA" from TGT-DIST-SRC. In other words, this is bi-directional replication for tableA using trans replication technique. When I insert row for tableA in SRC, it is replicating back to SRC because log reader on TGT doesn't differentiate between user-trans & dist-agent-trans. This is causing infinite looping. We cannot use merge replication for tableA due to some issues. My suggestion would be…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow exclusion of non supported data type columns in Polybase External Tables

I have been using Polybase with SQL Server 2019 and on the most part I really like it. I have found though that there are some tables I can't create as External Tables due to incompatible data types. It would be great if in the wizard in Azure Data Studio when trying to create the external tables, you could choose what columns to bring in as opposed to just not allowing the table to be pulled in due to 1 incompatible column.

I am mainly running into this with connecting to an Oracle (SAP HANA) database. The tables I need…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base