Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Microsoft Q&A or Stack Overflow

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. "[DbId:XX] ADR enabled for the database." logged all the time in ErrorLog

Hi Team,

We were testing ADR in a two SQL Server 2019 CU 4 Developer Edition servers, with a AG setup. After enabling ADR for every database in those instances, the secondary server started to log this message "[DbId:XX] ADR enabled for the database." in the ErrorLog every few seconds for a given database if there was a transaction in that database in the primary server within those seconds.

Ie. We have queries constantly reaching db ids 14 and 40, so we see that message constantly in the secondary for those db ids. For the dbid 16, I just created…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Self referencing scalar function nesting level exceeded when adding a select

Bug report on Self referencing scalar functions following this question, answered by Paul White here:

https://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/239324/self-referencing-scalar-function-nesting-level-exceeded-when-adding-a-select

In short a self referencing scalar function's references are evaluated when it should not be, resulting in an infinite loop in certain circumstances.

Reproducing the issue:

CREATE FUNCTION dbo.test6(@i int)
    RETURNS INT
    AS
    BEGIN
    RETURN(
    SELECT TOP 1
    CASE
    WHEN @i = 1 THEN 1
    WHEN @i = 2 THEN 2
    WHEN @i = 3 THEN (SELECT dbo.test6(1) + dbo.test6(2))
    END
    )END;

SELECT dbo.test6(3);

Resulting in the error:
    Maximum stored procedure, function, trigger, or view nesting level exceeded (limit 32).

Part of the answer…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. ssms 18 Recent Files list too narrow

Compared to SSMS v17.x, the MRU for recently opened files is too narrow. The filenames have been condensed with an ellipsis in the middle of the file name so for lists with similar filenames it becomes impossible to tell them apart. This worked better in SSMS v17.x. Why was it changed to become less useful in v18?

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. filegroup to read_only prevents dbcc checkdb from running

My database uses a combination of partitions and file groups in a sliding window configuration. I have implemented the VLDB CheckDB pattern and found that all file groups must be in a read-write state for this to work. By placing some older file groups into a read-only state I was hoping to utilize partial backups to reduce backup times. As a workaround we are temporarily placing the file groups back into a readwrite state to allow the checks to continue - however to make sure our FG backups can be used in a restore the FG backups have to be…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. LAST_MODE should map to LCK_M_RX_X in the lock_mode Extended Event

This is just plain wrong.

SELECT mv.name, mv.mapvalue, xo.description, xp.description
    FROM sys.dm
    xemapvalues AS mv
    JOIN sys.dmxeobjects AS xo
    ON mv.objectpackageguid = xo.packageguid
    AND mv.name = xo.name
    JOIN sys.dm
    xepackages AS xp
    ON xo.package
    guid = xp.guid
    WHERE mv.name = 'lockmode'
    ORDER BY mv.map
    key;

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Parallel SELECT INTO from sys.messages causes intra-query deadlock

Loading data into a new table from sys.messages using parallel SELECT INTO causes consistent self-deadlocks. Testing on a machine with default parallelism settings and 4 logical cores. This occurs in SQL Server 2014, 2016 and 2017. Here's a reproduction:

BEGIN TRANSACTION;

SELECT TOP 10000
        m.message_id, m.[text]
    INTO SomeNewTable
    FROM sys.messages m

For some reason, removing the "BEGIN TRANSACTION" reduces the frequency of deadlocks caused by this query. I've attached a deadlock graph from the issue.

It's possible that bulk loading from sources like sys.messages is simply not a supported scenario - but, if so, this should be documented (or potentially…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. MDS Explorer should show Attribute description of Name and Code attributes.

It's possible to set Attribute description on system attributes Name and Code in the same way as user defined attributes on an entity in MDS. But Description only shows in MDS Explorer for user defined attributes not for Name and Code. I expected this to work the same way for system and user defined attributes.

SQL Server version 13.0.4466.4
    MDS Schema version 13.1.0.3

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. SSRS Bug: Choose new target for linked report offers no reports

Install and configure SQL Server Reporting Services 2016SP1CU7 (mine was a Migration from 2008R2SP3, but an empty one should do). Upload a 'master' Report and create a link to it. Delete the 'master' and re-upload it. The link is now orphaned as expected.

In previous Versions, one could re-map the link to a different master without losing parameter configuration. It had problems with hidden folders, but allowed to enter a path explicitly by hand.

2016 pops up a selector box (aggravatingly using tiles no matter how often I dell it I want lists), which allows browsing folders, but all folders…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. SSDT (14.0.61709.290) Unable execute SSIS package on server that contains a script component.

When using Visual Studio 2015 (14.0.25431.01) and the latest version of SSDT (14.0.61709.290) on my client machine we are no longer able to execute a SSIS packages from the SSISDB in SQL Server 2016 (13.0.4451.0) on the server machine when it contains a script component and the single package is deployed. I have made sure project TargetServerVersion is SQL Server 2016.

When we try to execute the package from the server we get the following errors.

The component is missing, not registered, not upgradeable, or missing required interfaces.

Script failed validation and returned error code 0xC0048021

The component metadata for…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Trusted Assemblies are more problematic yet less functional than Certificates - Please Remove

The new "Trusted Assemblies" feature, introduced in SQL Server 2017 RC1, is entirely unnecessary, and pushes people farther away from good security practices (i.e. using a signature-based Login).

The main problem it is attempting to solve -- allowing SQLCLR code in unsigned, SAFE Assemblies to work with "clr strict security" enabled and TRUSTWORTHY disabled -- was solvable back when SQLCLR was first introduced in SQL Server 2005, but in a more elegant, more functional, and more secure way.

All that needs to be done is to sign the Assembly using ADD SIGNATURE (well, you still need the signature-based Login having…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Deploying single SSIS package to SQL 2016 from SSDT 17.0-17.4

Deploying a single SSIS package with VB script task, targeted for SQL 2016 from SSDT 17.0-17.4 causes the script tasks to not execute but the package deploys and executes reporting success. .

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. LocalDb Data Defaults Data Directory to User Profile Root. Location cannot be changed via SSMS

LocalDb for some reasons sets the default data directory to the root of the user profile directory. This means all database files, logs and backups clutter the root of this directory. There does not seem to be a way to change the default data locations. Trying to change the option in SSMS Server Properties -> Database Settings results in a RegCreateKeyEx() returned error 5, "Access is denied" error (Microsoft Sql Server, Error: 22002). Files by default should go into a sub directory of the user profile e.g Databases and this should be able to be changed via SSMS.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. (SQL Server 2019) Session crashes for stored procedures using external temp tables

When using stored procedures that access a temporary table created outside of the stored procedure I sometimes get a session crash with:
    'Exception 0xc0000005 EXCEPTIONACCESSVIOLATION reading address 0000000000000008 at 0x00007FF884E9E1B3'

I managed to narrow it down to the following steps to recreate the issue.

Step 1: Create or recreate the following stored procedure

DROP PROCEDURE if exists Bug_POC
    GO

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].BugPOC AS
    CREATE INDEX IX
    TMP
    ON #TempTable (id)

select a.Id
    from [sysobjects] as a -- Could be any table
    inner join #TempTable as t on a.id = t.Id
    GO

Step 2: Create/Recreate a temp table…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. SQL Server still crashes when trying to use a query that uses ODBC with table-valued parameters.

SQL server crashes when trying to use a query that uses ODBC with table-valued parameters.

Simple query that uses a TVP parameter - causes EXCEPTIONACCESSVIOLATION in sqlserver.exe on both SQL Server 2017/2019, RTM or latest CUs, on Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016, on physical and virtualized hardware. This is almost the same issue I had reported many years ago (~July 2015) against SQL Server 2012/2014 (Microsoft support incident "[REG:115070212906012] SQL server crashes when trying to use a query that uses ODBC with table-valued parameters.").

SELECT c.f3,0,case right(c.f6 , 1) when '/' then left(c.f6 , len( c.f6 )…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Incorrect syntax error with CREATE EXTERNAL commands

This applies to SQL 2019 RC1.

First run this:
    exec sp_configure 'polybase enabled', 0
    reconfigure

Then run this script:

CREATE EXTERNAL DATA SOURCE MyAzureStorage
    WITH
    ( LOCATION = 'wasbs://daily@logs.blob.core.windows.net/'
    , CREDENTIAL = AzureStorageCredential
    , TYPE = HADOOP
    )
    ;
    go
    CREATE EXTERNAL FILE FORMAT csvformat
    WITH (
    FORMATTYPE = DELIMITEDTEXT,
    FORMAT
    OPTIONS (
    FIELDTERMINATOR = ','
    )
    );
    go
    CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE [Avengers]
    (
            NAME [nvarchar](255) NOT NULL,
            LASTNAME [nvarchar](255) NULL,
            Email [nvarchar](255) NULL
    )
    WITH (DATA
    SOURCE = PolyBaseDS)

The output is:

Msg…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Fix merge bug on temporal history tables with indexes

Fix bug in temporal tables where indexes on history tables result in the error: Attempting to set a non-NULL-able column's value to NULL when an MERGE is performed. Exact steps to replicate can be found here:
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f4fbdfcc-c10e-4412-8011-2bbd3cdda5eb/merge-on-temporal-table-fails-with-attempting-to-set-a-nonnullable-columns-value-to-null?forum=sqldatabaseengine

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Make Central Management Server remember Azure Integrated authentication for Azure SQL DB

In SSMS 17.8.1 we have a number of Azure SQL DB instances registered in our CMS.

Everytime we re-open SSMS the CMS switches the authentication method back to "Windows Authentication"

Manually switching back to "Azure - Integrated" works, but this option should be persisted and remembered in the CMS.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Support Trace Flag 834 with Columnstore

Trace flag 834 has been marked as unsupported with columnstore by Microsoft since SQL Server 2012, but that trace flag resolves columnstore and batch mode related bottlenecks with the RESERVEDMEMORYALLOCATION_EXT wait when running workloads at high concurrency. In addition, vendors use TF 834 with columnstore when competing in the TPC-H benchmarks.

Please support TF 834 with columnstore.

References with reproducible workloads:

https://orderbyselectnull.com/2018/03/06/large-cci-etls-cannot-scale-without-tf-834/

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Merge statement Delete does not update indexed view in all cases

A merge statement that contains both an update clause and a delete clause, does not always update indexed views that refer the table.

Specifically, if the delete clause is the one that is triggered, and the update clause does not update any of the columns that are used by the indexed view, the deleted row is not removed from the indexed view.

The indexed view is therefore logically inconsistent; it contains rows that are no longer part of the source table. An SQL script that demonstrates the bug is included.

I have replicated the bug both on SQL Server 2014…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. SSRS report builder not working after applying SQL update

I have noticed that I can no longer use the “Report Builder” functionality in SSRS (while opening it from Report manager URL) after patching SQL Server 2012 Sp4 with recent CU KB4057116.

Window Server 2008 R2 Standard
    SQL Server 2012 SP4 (11.0.7001.0)
    Getting below error after installing KB 4057116

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4057116

Following errors were detected during this operation.
    * [26/02/2018 10:15:22] System.Deployment.Application.InvalidDeploymentException (HashValidation)
    - File, interop.shdocvw.dll, has a different computed hash than specified in manifest.
    - Source: System.Deployment

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  8 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base