SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SSMS 17.3 excessive memory usage

SSMS consumes large amounts of memory & CPU, even when idle. Disabling intellisense has no effect

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Keep system sessions from entering a single-user database

I am super hesitant to put a database into single_user mode without being in the database because system sessions (session_id <50) will get into the database and I cannot get the sessions out. I can't kill them because they are system sessions and the KILL command doesn't work.

This comes into play when I am in the database, set the database into single_user mode, get out of the database and have a slight delay and then try to do something with the database (such as backup the log with norecovery).

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. sys.fn_hadr_backup_is_preferred_replica causes error 41070 in SQL Server 2017 CU15

After installing CU15 on a SQL 2017 2-Node Always On Availability Group Cluster (Windows Server Failover Clustering Mode), sys.fn_hadr_backup_is_preferred_replica throws the following exception when run against a database that is in an availability group:

Msg 41070 - Configuration data for the availability group with Windows Server Failover Clustering (WSFC) resource ID 'GUID' is not found in the WSFC data store. The availability group may have been dropped, or a previous CREATE AVAILABILITY GROUP or DROP AVAILABILITY GROUP operation has failed. Please use DROP AVAILABILITY GROUP command to clean up previously failed operations before retrying the current operation.

Uninstalling CU15 (reverting…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. SQL Server 2019 CTP 2.3 / Issue with scope of set identity_insert on/off

Hello!

I have SQL Server 2019 CTP 2.3 installed, and I have detected a change in the behavior of:

SET IDENTITY_INSERT tabname ON/OFF

It appears that the scope has changed since SQL Server 2019 CTP 2.2 and SQL Server 2017:

I am using MS ODBC 17 ...

When executing some SQL from ODBC with SQLExecDirect() with parameters, I see in my Extended Events log that the sp_executesql stored procedure is used, and in such case, a prior SET IDENTITY_INSERT ... ON has no effect on the SQL executed inside the stored procedure.

By no effect I mean that the next…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. SSIS 13.0.4474 does not work in SSMS after v17.2

When trying to connect to SSIS (13.0.4474) through any version of SSMS past 17.2 we get the following error (see attached image for full error):

Connecting to the Integration Services service on the computer X failed with the following error: "The specified service does not exist as an installed service."

Pinal Dave blogged about this but not sure if it is something that the Microsoft SQL Server team would be able to address or why it hasn't been flagged to be fixed before?

Pinal Dave's blog post:
    https://blog.sqlauthority.com/2017/08/26/sql-server-management-studio-ssms-unable-connect-ssis-specified-service-not-exist-installed-service/

It would be great to have this fixed.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Incorrect filepath with BACKUP LOG command causes sql server 2017 CU13 to crash

supplying an incorrect filepath with BACKUP LOG command causes sql server 2017 CU13 to crash. It seems to occur if you give in an invalid path. A valid but non-existent path will give the predicted "Cannot open backup device". An invalid path (such as "D:mydbLogBackup.bak" without the slash causes the server to crash with nothing but "unexpected error" in event log details. I ran into this because my default backup location in the ssms gui is "D:" and I cannot change it to "D:\". The error is not gui dependent though because the raw scripts fail too.

After applying the…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION during plan compilation with incremental statistics (SQL17 CU11)

If a query uses one or more partitioned tables that use incremental statistics and whose partition function has been modified using the MERGE and SPLIT partition commands, a connection-terminating access violation can occur when the incremental statistics need to be automatically updated during plan compilation.

The attached script reliably reproduces the error on multiple SQL Server 2017 database servers we've tried thus far, including a server running CU11. We've also attached dump files from both a real production occurrence of this error and a testing occurrence of the error using our repro script.

SQL Server 2017 CU8 contained a fix…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Change from normal Table to Temporal Table doesn't work with dacpac and sqlpackage.exe

Using sqlpackage.exe 15.0.4108.1

The generated Change Script from changing a normal Table to a Temporal Tables fails with the following Error:
    Msg 515, Level 16, State 2, Line 44
    Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'SysEnd', table 'analyse.tmp_ms_xx_Vergleich'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.

See Attached Example:
    -#1 Orignal Table
    -#2 Changed Table in Dacpac
    -#3 Generated not working Query
    -#4 Correct Qeury in this Case

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Azure SQL can't upgrade data-tier application

Using DacFx 17.4.1 / SSMS 17.8.1, it is not possible to deploy and then upgrade an Azure SQL Server Database as a data-tier application.

The initial deployment works correctly, but attempting to upgrade using SSMS or sqlpackage (using /p:BlockWhenDriftDetected=true /p:RegisterDataTierApplication=True) results in the following error:

Databases registered as a DAC database must be hosted by an instance of SQL 2005 SP4, SQL 2008 SP2, SQL 2008 R2, SQL 2012, SQL 2014 or Microsoft Azure SQL Database.
    Unable to proceed with DAC operations on the target instance because it does not support DACs. Specify another instance, or upgrade to a version…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. SQL SERVER 2016 (SP2-CUI) BUG? MERGE and INSERT with COLUMNSTORE index creates crash dump - script supplied

Hi

I have managed to create a script that (on my system) reliably generates the following message

Expression: IS_OFF (BUF_MINLOGGED, m_buf->bstat) || pageModifyType != PageModifyType_Contents || GetPagePtr ()->IsTextPage ()
    SPID: 59
    Process ID: 5080
    Msg 3624, Level 20, State 1, Line 45
    A system assertion check has failed. Check the SQL Server error log for details. Typically, an assertion failure is caused by a software bug or data corruption. To check for database corruption, consider running DBCC CHECKDB. If you agreed to send dumps to Microsoft during setup, a mini dump will be sent to Microsoft. An update…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. VS2017 and SSDT publishing Graph Database objects created before schemas

VS 15.7.4
    SSDT 15.1.61804.210

We created a new SQL Server Database Project in VS2017 and imported a database that uses Graph DB features.

Trying to publish the project we receive and error indicating one schema is missing (a custom schema that contains graph database objects).
    We dug into publish t-sql script and we found that CREATE TABLE statements for graph db edge tables were placed before CREATE SCHEMA statements, therefore, publish won’t ever complete successfully.

To complete deploy we had to move CREATE SCHEMA statements above and run the script manually.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. dm_db_stats_histogram missing row when column/histogram step contains NULL

When statistics on a nullable column contain a NULL sys.dm_db_stats_histogram will not return a row for the corresponding histogram step (when RANGE_HI_KEY is a NULL). DBCC SHOW_STATISTICS returns all steps including the aforementioned missing one. Without all the histogram levels dm_db_stats_histogram is not usable.

I can confirm this behaviour with INT and VARCHAR columns, I haven't tested other data types). I have attached the reproduction code and a screenshot. Any questions please let me know. Thank you.

SQL Version: 14.0.3025

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. SSDT error SQL46010 on iif

SSDT reports an error on this valid syntax:

create procedure test
    as
    if (iif(1 = 1, 1, 0)
    )
    < 2
    select 'ok'

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Error SQL46010: Incorrect syntax near ). Stored Procedures\Procs2\test.sql 4

See https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/8ec0a584-1eec-4ffb-b5b2-1df6092817e6/sql46010-incorrect-syntax-near-?forum=ssdt

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. TDE - corrupt backups when using backup compression

After restoring a valid compressed backup of a TDE database to the same, or different, SQL server, backups of the newly restored database may be corrupt.

This is an intermittent problem. Out of dozens of restores, 0 or more of the restored databases may no longer be able to create valid backups when using backup compression.

If a restored database is affected by this problem, all subsequent compressed backups of the restored database are also corrupt until TDE is removed and reapplied to the database.

For me, this problem only applies to databases restored from compressed TDE backups. Compressed backups…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. SSRS Bug: Choose new target for linked report offers no reports

Install and configure SQL Server Reporting Services 2016SP1CU7 (mine was a Migration from 2008R2SP3, but an empty one should do). Upload a 'master' Report and create a link to it. Delete the 'master' and re-upload it. The link is now orphaned as expected.

In previous Versions, one could re-map the link to a different master without losing parameter configuration. It had problems with hidden folders, but allowed to enter a path explicitly by hand.

2016 pops up a selector box (aggravatingly using tiles no matter how often I dell it I want lists), which allows browsing folders, but all folders…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. SQLPackage.exe - Needs to be made into at least 3 cmdlets

SQLPackage.exe - Needs to be made into at least 3 cmdlets (and possibly more; we have added ideas for additional cmdlets below). The first 3 cmdlets that need to be made into are:
    Export-SqlDatabase
    Import-SqlDatabase
    Compare-SqlDatabase

Export-SqlDatabase
    At a minimum Export-SqlDatabase should take parameters such as -ServerInstance -Database -TargetFile -IncludeData (ExtractAllTableData).

It would also be nice if these cmdlets would work 'smartly' from within the provider. For instance, if you were within the provider inside a database (PS SQLSERVER:\sql\localhost\default\databases\AdventureWorks> ) and wanted to run Export-SqlDatabase you should only have to supply a filename for your export; the cmdlet should infer…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 55

<=-=Apr 5 2016 10:09AM=-=>

first FIX DACfx then the important verbs /publish etc

<=-=Apr 5 2016 12:30PM=-=>

PowerShell wrappers around DacFX seems like a good idea. Some brainstormed thoughts:
    -The word “publish” is part of the DacFX lexicon. Should Import-SqlDatabase not be called Publish-SqlDatabase? And if so, shouldn’t it be called Publish-Dacpac. Strictly speaking its not the database that’s being published, its the dacpac. Regardess of this bullet point, I’ll refer to Import-SqlDatabase in the rest of this comment.
    -Similarly I think Export-SqlDatabase should be called Export-Dacpac
    -Love the idea of piping Export-SqlDatabase to Import-SqlDatabase
    -Import-SqlDatabase needs an option to only produce the change script, not execute it.
    -Compare-SqlDatabase should have the option to compare a dacpac to a dacpac
    -Generating a DriftReport feels to me like a different cmdlet rather than being an option of Compare-SqlDatabase

<=-=Apr 6 2016 6:12AM=-=>

I’ve created a wrapper that accomplishes Publish…

17. Attempting to create a database diagram causes error "Index was outside the bounds of the array"

When attempting to create a new database diagram on an on premises SQL 2014 database using SQL Server Management Studio 16.5, an error window is shown with error "Index was outside the bounds of the array". Additionally, SSMS 2014 is able to create a database diagram just fine. When back in SSMS 2016, I can view the new diagram, but it is in a window on another monitor, with no ability to resize the window (window chrome is missing).

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello all

Database Diagrams is being deprecated for SSMS 18. As such, we have not planned any work on this feature for a while. Please use Visio or any of the 3rd party ER modeling tools for this functionality. I understand some of you may have dependency on this feature. You are welcome to continue using 17.9.1 if it works for you.

thanks,
    Dinakar

18. Task List seems incomplete

I did a test for Task List in SSMS according to a question in the forum:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/4a160d5f-b390-4583-bab4-eb7596729088/not-able-to-create-tasklist-in-sql-server-management-studio?forum=sqlgetstarted#f8369eb5-4ae7-4188-945d-13875649caed

It works as expected with version 13.0.700.242 and I checked it with some older versions of SSMS, no problem there. But after some version (for instance 13.0.16000.28), Task List is incomplete. By that, I mean there's no "New Task" button around, no dropdownbox at the left of the button, no nothing.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. SSMS 17.3 Font and Color setting limit changes to 4 areas

After upgrading to ver. 17.3 of SSMS 2017, I am unable to enlarge the default font size used for grids or the object explorer (Environment Font). After running a search I several posts in the SQL Server Forum, but after trying the fix mosts sided, which was uninstalling 17.3, then install 17.2 and do the upgrade to 17.3. This was ineffective for me and others.

Under "Show settings for:" instead of listing all the options that should be listed, I see only the following. This is obviously a bug. Has anyone found a solution that fixes this problem?

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Cannot open Extended Event when default database not master

You might get an error message when looking at Extended Event data (file, etc) if Object Explorer isn't connected to the master database.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Feedback and Knowledge Base