SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. bug: "autostat" of an index reported by SQL Server Management Studio for 2005

SQL server management studio does not seem to display the "autostat" of an index correctly. The value in SQL server management studio is
    always the reverse of the value from "sp_autostats".

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Mar 24 2006 9:08AM=-=>

Thank you for your bug report regarding the issue with autostat – we will look into this for a future service pack.

<=-=Mar 27 2006 3:48PM=-=>

Quick update. We are placing this bug report under consideration for SP2.

<=-=Aug 10 2006 11:17AM=-=>

Thank you for your bug report regarding the autostate values being reversed. We have reproduced the problem and plan to fix this in the next major release of SQL Server. We have also requested that this behavior be recorded in a KB article.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

2. Managmen Studio: Objects does not displayed in summary after error

Managment Studio.
    In Summary double click Databases, Database, Tables. When try to open table get an error.
    After error Summary does not display any objects (dbs, tables, views etc).

DB was converted from SQL2000.
    On AdventureWorks all OK.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Mar 23 2006 6:44PM=-=>

Hi gmsalex

We could not repro the problem.

What does it mean "DB was converted from SQL2000?

While trying to repro we copied the Shiloh database to Yukon server by using Copy Database Wizard, and we could not repro it.

Please feel free to activate this bug, if this is consistent repro , with more detailed repro steps of how DB was converted from SQL 2000

Thanks,
    Gops Dwarak

3. SQL Native Client silently fails ODBC call to stored procedure with smalldatetime parameter

SQL NATIVE CLIENT PROBLEM WITH SMALLDATETIME STORED PROCEDURE PARAMETERS
    Breaks existing application code when client's DSN uses the SQL Native Client ODBC driver

Scenario:
    - A SQL Server 2005 stored procedure has a smalldatetime parameter
    - The client application passes a date/time value that includes seconds to the procedure call (e.g. VB's Now())
    - The client application uses the ODBC syntax {? = call (?)} in order to get the return value
    Result:
    - The stored procedure is not executed (included RAISERROR, INSERT statements have no effect)
    - No error is returned to the client
    - The return value from…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 27 2006 10:04AM=-=>

DAO is a deprecated MDAC technology, and so is not supported with SQL Native Client.

We tried to reproduce your problem using both ADO and C++ calling ODBC directly. In both cases the procedure call was made.

We are unable to take this further at this time as we do not have a reroducable bug for SQL Native Client. If you are able to reproduce this problem using a supported data access technology, such as ADO, please let us know and we will investigate further.

<=-=Apr 3 2007 6:44AM=-=>

The native client drivers do not seem nearly as flexible OLE DB providers, when you would expect them to be more solid and reliable. Why were they included if they have less functionality?

<=-=Sep 14 2010 1:56PM=-=>

I am having this problem with ADO 2.6 and it occurs with ADO 2.8 as well. An…

4. Performance issue, when using sp_executesql with parameters

We have a serios performance problem using a complex query, which includes a fulltext query as a subquery, the whole thing with ado.net. The query has several parameters which are passed as usual with sqlparameters to the sqlcommand using ado.net. What we see: The query, which is performend on the server using spexecutesql with the parameters we set before executing costs about 30 Seconds. As we see, this is probably because the spexecutesql Stored Procedure takes no profit of preparing statemenst because we examined the same behaviour when executing the same query in the query analyser with varaibles…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Jan 19 2006 9:16AM=-=>

Hi, TommyR, please contact me via email so that we can discuss this problem in greater detail. My email is ianjo@microsoft.com. It sounds like the root problem is a long compilation when the optimizer is given more information via ‘sniffable’ parameters. When you switch to local variables, the parameter values are hidden from the optimizer and this happens luckily to give a faster compile and reasonable plan. If I can see the SQL, perhaps there are other ways that the same result can be achieved. Also, please look at my blog http://blogs.msdn.com/ianjo.

Thanks, Ian.

5. Error connecting to remote server when no password is saved

I received this error System.Exception: CryptUnprotectData: Win32 error:-2146893813
    when trying to connect to a remote sql server (outside our network) using sql authentication, but without the password saved. It occurs when double-clicking the Server Registration name in my list of Registered Servers and when I select Object Explorer from its context menu.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 13 2006 4:28PM=-=>

Hi Corgalore ,

We tested in our lab the scenario you have mentioned of not remembering the password during server registration and then selecting to see it in OE. This has expected behavior of prompting for password from connecting through IE and no error is seen.

If you are seeing this consistenlty can you please update the bug with more detailed repro steps and the build number, OS details you are seeing this issue. It will help to narropw down the issue.

Thanks for taking time to report this.
    Gops Dwarak

6. Word Wrap and Line Numbers option does not work

I want to turn on Line Numbering Word Wrap in the SQL editor in the SQL Server Management Studio IDE.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Nov 26 2005 11:02AM=-=>

I tried these settings, and they had the desired effect.

I’m using the RTM version on Windows XP SP2.

<=-=Dec 1 2005 9:48AM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. we are unable to reproduce the problem.
    Thanks
    Ramesh Singh

7. Client Install Failure

I click on the link to install the client interface/tools and the installer starts up. But then an error message pops up asking me to insert the disk.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Sep 7 2005 9:48AM=-=>

Thanks for filing this issue. It looks like you’ve only selected to install SQL tools which are installed from CD 2. That’s why you’re being prompted for CD2. If this is not the case please provide more detailed repro steps.

8. SSIS: Expanded Containers hide tasks not workflow arrows

When you expand a container so that other tasks are then in the background, you still see the arrows connecting these tasks

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Report Builder decimal error - part 2

This attachment goes with the bug report called "Report Builder decimal error" - it is the actual "rdl" so you can see the underlying report

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. ExecutePackage Task don't execute packages if "delayvalidation" is set to true in the package to be executed

I need to run a package "A" in which connections are set at run-time. In order to run in with dtexec i have to set DelayValidation (on the package object) to True. With this option set to true in the same package "A" is executed from another package "B" using the ExecutePackage Task, the package "A" don't get executed since the package "B" reports a validation error on package "A".

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 26 2006 2:12PM=-=>

Mauri,

Can you share your package “A” and package “B”? I’m currently unable to reproduce the issue using your Repro Steps and description.

Thanks,
    Patrik

<=-=May 12 2006 11:48AM=-=>

Unfortunately, we weren’t able to reproduce the problem given the details specified. If you are still experiencing the issue please do not hesitate to restart a dialog. Thanks.

11. Object reference not set errors in SQL Management Studio

Too many Object reference not set to an instance of an object errors in the SQL Server management studio application.

performing simple tasks such as assigning a user to

i dont have time to debug this and in fact it isnt really critical since i can just retry and it works,
    but it sure doesnt make the product look very stable

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Dec 8 2005 3:32PM=-=>

Thanks for reporting this.

For the second exception (the GDI related one) can you provide steps that reproduce the issue?

We were not able to reproduce any of these exceptions, but for the first and last one in your attached file, we were able to determine the cause of the exception from the callstacks you provided. For the GDI exception though, we could not determine the cause.

Thanks,
    Jesse Hersch, MSFT

<=-=Jan 30 2006 1:44PM=-=>

I’m not sure about steps, but I was doing this over terminal server.
    I didnt really have to do much to repeat it — just try to normally use the program.

<=-=Feb 6 2006 2:20PM=-=>

this does not repro

12. Right click on property window in Report Designer causes VS.NET to crash

In the Report Designer, when I right click on the property grid (to reset a property value, for examaple), VS.NET crashes. There are no error messages.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. SSMS query/view designer clueless about CHARACTER VARYING and other T-SQL types

SSMS query/view designer does not understand the SQL types CHARACTER VARYING or NATIONAL CHARACTER VARYING

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Dec 9 2005 1:48PM=-=>

I couldn’t see the XML in this, so I changed the category to Managment Tools.

<=-=Jan 3 2006 1:32PM=-=>

Hi Erland,
    Thank you for your bug report. I have been able to repro the problem however I think this is not a blocking issue and you can work around this. If this is not the case please let me know your scenario.
    For now I have marked it as a defect with severity 3 & priority 3. We will look at it based on resources available. Thanks for being such a great customer of SQL 2005.
    Thanks,
    Ramesh Singh

14. Copy does not copy FOR XML AUTO output correctly

Only the first ~2000 characters of an XML output value can be copied from the SSMS results window with CTRL-C or right-click|Copy.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Oct 3 2005 10:28AM=-=>

Thank you for your bug report . We will consider fixing this issue in the next release of Sql Server or in a service pack for Sql Server 2005
    Radu Singer

<=-=Mar 31 2006 7:08AM=-=>

Quick update. We are placing this bug report under consideration for SP2.

<=-=Oct 23 2007 2:31PM=-=>

We are closing this issue as a duplicate of Connect feedback ID 126714. We have a plan to address this issue in SQL Server 2008.

Thanks,
    -Eric

15. select * from ::fn_helpcollations() kills or crashes query designer

select * from ::fn_helpcollations() makes query designer either 1) vanish (if the query is typed in), or 2) crash (if "Design Query in Editor..." is chosen for this query

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Installation of SQL Server Mobile Edition Device SDK

Installation of the SQL Server Mobile Edition Device SDK on a Windows XP x64 system with an OS installed on drive of H: produces the following error:

Error 1327. Invalid Drive: C:\

This occurs when the installation is computing space requirements.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. SSMS Table designer generates bad script to rename RowGuid column

SSMS Table Designer generates an illegal script if it is used to rename a RowGuid column.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Oct 3 2005 10:28AM=-=>

Thank you for your bug report . We will consider fixing this issue in the next release of Sql Server or in a service pack for Sql Server 2005
    Radu Singer

<=-=Dec 20 2007 7:47AM=-=>

Hi,
    This issue will not be as of now. It is by design. Designerd do not allow renaming unique indentifier columns at this point.

Regards
    Vinod

18. SQL 2005 Express fails

I have downloaded and installed Installer 3 and Dotnframework 2.0 but when I download SQL express I get an error at the end of the download that says SQLEXPR.exe is not a valid win32 application.

Any suggestions please?

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Unable to install SQL Server 2005 Express

Every time I try to install SQL Server 2005 Express, it fails. I tried to install using the version included with Visual Basic Express 2005, then again using the stand-alone executable, then I tried again using the SQL Server Express with Advanced Services. Each time, I get the same error.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 2 2006 9:40AM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. Please reactive this issue and supply us with the setup log files located at windir\hotfix so we can investigate this issue.

Thank You,
    Peter Saddow

<=-=Jun 3 2008 9:35AM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. Please reactive this issue and supply us with the setup log files located at windir\hotfix so we can investigate this issue.

Thank You,
    Peter Saddow

20. Table generates "2" for the starting value in an identity field for the first record inserted

When a newly created table with an identity field is going to be populated by a text file using the import/export wizard in Management Studio, the first record's value in the identity column is showing up as "2" not "1". This is if the flat file, being the source, has field headers. If there are no field headers in the file then the first record's identity value is correctly generating a "1".

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 12 2006 5:48PM=-=>

Hi,

I could not repro this problem.
    I used the exact steps you listed and the identity values always started from 1.

It could be either that I use a more recent build (where this potential issue is fixed) or there is some step missing in the repro.

Could you try again when you install SP1 bits and let us know if you can still repro this problem?

Thanks.

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base