SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. @@identity as a decimal?

I have a method in my application that I call to add an item to my database.
    It dynamically generates a parameterised sql statement and gets back an
    identity.

The problem I have is that for some of my tables it appears to be returning
    a decimal, instead of an int. For the others it works correctly

So I have two tables [Users] and [Positions] (full definitions at the bottom
    of this post.) The two insert statements are dynamically generated:

"insert [Positions] ([DummyField]) values ( @DummyField);\n select 

@@identity"

and

"insert [Users] ([UserName], [Password]) values ( @UserName,

@Password);\n select @@identity"

I…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Apr 15 2005 5:01AM=-=>

According to BOL:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/tsqlref/ts_globals_50u1.asp

I have this the wrong way round. @@identity should return a decimal. I don’t know why sometimes what it returned was explicitly cast-able to an int.

<=-=Apr 19 2005 5:48PM=-=>

I created the tables, per the repro given. I then ran the following repro:

using System;
    using System.Data;
    using System.Data.Sql;
    using System.Data.SqlTypes;
    using System.Data.SqlClient;
    using System.Xml;
    using Microsoft.SqlServer.Server;
    using System.Collections;

public class Repro {
    � public static void Main () {
    using(SqlConnection conn = new SqlConnection(“server=blained2;UID=sa;Pwd=Webdata!;”)) {
    SqlCommand cmd = conn.CreateCommand();
    conn.Open();

try { cmd.CommandText = “insert [Positions] ([DummyField]) values (N’f’);\n select @@identity”; object value = cmd.ExecuteScalar(); Console.WriteLine(value); Console.WriteLine(value.GetType()); cmd.CommandText = “insert [Users] ([UserName], [Password]) values (N’foo’, N’bar’);\n select @@identity”; value = cmd.ExecuteScalar(); Console.WriteLine(value); Console.WriteLine(value.GetType()); } catch(Exception ex) { System.Console.WriteLine(ex.ToString()); } } }

}

Here is the output:

D:\repros>repro81.exe
    System.Decimal
    System.Decimal

I cannot currently…

2. referenced relationship

I try to add dimension with referenced relationship. I defined everything like explaination in Books online, but when I try to save cube, I always get message:

"Cube 'Cube' cannot be saved because of the following errors:

Errors in the metadata manager. The 'Key' intermediate granularity attribute of the'IntDim'

measures group dimension does not have an attribute hierarchy enabled."

I enabled this attribute hierarchy for Key... but....

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Installation fails minimum system requirements

Installation fails reporting thet minimum system requirements are not met. The system far exceeds all the published requirements, but fails to identify any reason for the reported failure.

PC P4 3GHz 512Mb RAM 50Gb free space AFTER install

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Nov 28 2005 5:40PM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback.

In order to further diagnose the problem that you are reporting, we need to have the setup log files. They can be found in the latest .cab file at ProgramFiles\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Files. FYI, there is a summary error report at ProgramFiles\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Summary.txt that may help you to diagnose the problem on your own.

Please attach the cab to this bug report.

Radu Singer

<=-=Nov 30 2005 3:40PM=-=>

In order to further diagnose the problem that you are reporting, we need to have the setup log files. They can be found in the latest .cab file at ProgramFiles\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Files. FYI, there is a summary error report at ProgramFiles\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Summary.txt that may help you to diagnose the problem on your own.

Please attach the cab to this bug…

4. SQL Server Import Export Wizard: Could not set up data flow connections... not recognized as a valid connection manager type.

The following error is generated EVERY time I attempt to run the Import/Export (DTS) Wizard in SQL 2005.

One very note worthy detail...

I STARTED GETTING THIS ERROR ABOUT THE SAME TIME I INSTALLED IE7 BETA 2.

I had been running beta 1 and SQL DTS operations without any problems. It may be totally unrelated but you might want to look into it.

My problem also is similar to the one mentioned in kb article 913817. I ran the fix mentioned there but it only picked up 3 CLSIDs and they were for Macromedia Flash - nothing to do with…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Mar 14 2008 10:04AM=-=>

Hi Pedster,

We haven’t been able to reproduce this issue. If you have, please share some more specific information about the configuraiton of your system before and after the point at which the wizard becomes unusable. Thanks!

5. SQL 2000 bug, but your web page won't let me SELECT that....

THIS IS ON SQL 2000 SP4, but your form doesn't allow me to select that STILL supported product.

Accidentally created a column using

sprepladdcolumn 'tablefoo', '[targetobjectcache_time]', 'int not null default(0)'

Column name at subcribers was [targetobjectcache_time] (i.e. contained [] in the column name.)

Realized I didn't want this.

Did a sprepldropcolumn 'tablefoo', '[targetobjectcache_time]'

Replication fails with error below.

Looks like it's sometimes treating the [] as a delimiter, sometimes as part of the column name.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 26 2006 2:20PM=-=>

Thanks for bring this issue to our attention.
    This problem does not reproduce on SQL Server 2005 and only reproduces on SQL Server 2000.
    I have created the linked bug for SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 5 and hopefully it will be addressed then.

<=-=Oct 15 2007 9:53AM=-=>

As mentioned before, this bug does not repro on SQL Server 2005 and only repros on SQL 2000.
    There is a work item tracking this issue for SQL 2000. It will be triaged for the next Service Pack.
    In the meantime, please try it on SQL Server 2005 and report back if you see similar issue. Thanks.

6. SSIS package crashes but no error returned

SSIS package, containing a nested FOR_EACH loop sometimes crashes inside the loop,
    sqldumper starts generating a dump, but no error is returned to the user interface. The message is "Package execution completed" - as if everything`s OK, though package crashed somewhere in the middle.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 30 2006 5:00PM=-=>

Can you please supply the package that is encountering this problem, or a simplified version of it? Also, can you please supply the data that you’re using, or a detailed description of it, including the datatypes, the nature of the data, and the amount of data?

7. Cannot Start

I have installed SQL Server Express and there is no link or reference to the program in Start - All Programs.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jan 10 2006 4:52PM=-=>

Thank you for contacting us. Without further information, we cannot continue our investigation.

Can you please attach the log files from Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Files?

Thank you,

-Jeffrey

8. Failure writing file: A logon error occurred

When I use Reporting Services Subscription services and try to write a file to a location on another server or desktop computer I receive the following error: Failure writing file: A logon error occurred when attempting to access the file share. The user account or password is not valid.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Data Driven Subscription is not available

On SQL 2005 Reporting Services the Data-Driven Subscription option is missing.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. sql server 2005 developer version install program is not compatible with the install program of sql server 2005 express version

I installed sql server 2005 express version first. After I got visual studio 2005 3cds, I uninstalled sql server 2005 express version. I found the install program of developer version did not install all the product into my machine, always prompted me that the notification servvice and DTS has been already installed on my machine.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 13 2005 8:54AM=-=>

SQL Editions are supported side-by-side. You’re hitting some other problem. Please attach the setup log files. You can find them in: Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\log\files\*.log. You can zip the files before attaching them.

11. SQL 2005 SP1 Database Engine update failure

The SP1 installation fails at the Engine update step. All other components of the update completed successfully. The log file indicates a problem obtaining update and version information for files that exist in the MSSQL\binn directory. The files it's complaining about exist, and I can read them. I applied the update as myself, a member of the local admin group. I'm in a group called OU Admins in active directory.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 5 2006 3:16PM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. Please supply us with the setup log files located at %programfiles%D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG so we can continue to investigate this issue.

Thank You,
    Peter Saddow

12. JDBC 2005 1.0: Adding a ConnectionEventListener to a PooledConnection causes ClassCastException in SQLServerPooledConnection.notif

I use SQLServerConnectionPoolDataSource to create PooledConnection objects for communicating with SQL Server 2000, and register a ConnectionEventListener using addConnectionEventListener. When an error occurs using the connection, connectionErrorOccurred should be called in the registered listener, but instead I get the following stack trace:

java.lang.ClassCastException

at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerPooledConnection.notifyEvent(Unknown Source)

at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.notifyPooledConnection(Unknown Source)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.DBComms.transmit(Unknown Source)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.IOBuffer.sendCommand(Unknown Source)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.sendExecute(Unknown Source)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.doExecuteQuery(Unknown Source)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.executeQuery(Unknown Source)

Getting the connectionClosed event works. The same code was used successfully with SQL Server 2000 JDBC Driver SP4.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jan 2 2007 9:12AM=-=>

I mailed the customer did not hear from the customer. Let us resolve by design, as my efforts point to a customer issue here. I could not reproduce the problem the customer describing, as I suspected this could be a problem due to the way his class is implemented. This looks like a problem with the ConnectionListener code of the customer. Pinging to get the code for this. Essentially what happens here is that the customer has to provide us a object of type ConnectionEventListener in addConnectionEventListener. We will cast this object later in the notification to ConnectionEventListener. If the user does not provide an object of the type ConnectionEventListener the error customer seeing will be thrown.

<=-=Jan 2 2007 9:34AM=-=>

I discussed this issue with Mr. Mugunthan Mugundan of Microsoft a couple of months ago. The ClassCastException issue was resolved in v1.1 of…

13. Business Intelligence Developer Studio, Getting Started, Introduction

On first run of "Business Intelligence Developer Studio" when you follow the "Getting Started" -> Introducing Business Intelligence Dev..... The link is broken so it goes to a "Cant Find" page.
    NOT A GOOD START to the user experience!

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 0x800703E6 HRESULT Invalid access to memory location

Saving package receives error. Attached package, about 8 mb, may be size of package. Saves initially. Still not sure at what causes the error to occur. Maybe memory usage, it consumes upwards of 500000 kb at times. Not consistant getting initial error, but once error occurs, can never save another package until machine is reloaded.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Nov 28 2005 3:56PM=-=>

Unfortunately we have been unable to reproduce this problem in-house. We’ve tried it on several OS and memory configurations, including low memory conditions, but with no luck. We sometimes get a timeout error, which we will track separately. If you have any additional information that you think may be useful, please let us know.

Thank you!

<=-=Feb 3 2009 10:50AM=-=>

We have a user at our company that received this error. He also has Windows XP SP2 professional, SQL Server 2005.
    The problem he was having was importing the SSIS package from the File System and an existing package already existed.

I was able to Import the package on my machine, but he would receive the error when trying to overwrite an already existing package by the same name. We found a link that indicated running the following might fix the problem:
    Regsvr32 msxml3.dll…

15. Problem installing April CTP and July CTP of SQL Server 2005 Express Edition if multiple OS is installed

I tried to install VS.NET 2005 Express and Web Developer Express and both failed because SQL 2005 Express can not be correctly installed. I tried to install SQL 2005 Express the April CTP and July CTP then, they both failed. I could install them on some other machine without any problem, so I think that it is because I installed two OS's on this machine.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. When browsing a cube within the BI Studio, the AS service crashes

When browsing a cube within the BI Studio, the AS service crashes.
    This particular failure happened when I was dragging time
    dimensions to the columns. All that happens is that I get messages
    about the connection being closed.

The relevant entries in the logs are attached.
    I started the AS service again, reconnected in the BI studio and it
    failed again with the same set of messages in the log.

The cube had a 'server' time dimension with no relationship set up.

In the end I closed the cube in BIS. Re-opened it, removed the time
    dimension. Re-added the time…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 12 2005 2:09AM=-=>

Thank you for calling this to our attention. We’ll look in to it.
    —Analysis Services Team

<=-=Jun 6 2005 10:49AM=-=>

I cannot repro the bug with the latest build. Here is what I did.

1) use Foodmart database
    2) Add a server time dimension
    3) Add the time dimension the sales cube
    4) Browsing the sales cube with measures on the data field, warehouse on the row and server time dimension on the column

I am able to drill down on rows and column.

Please review above steps and let me know if I can try different way to repro. I will close the bug if I didn�t get any feedback from you with in a week.

Thanks,
    Tonglian

17. FTS Service is set to Manual yet turns itself on

Often times when I am in SSMS I notice that the FTS service is running. It is set via the Configuration manager in MANUAL mode. I have reset it several times to Stopped and MANUAL yet it still starts somehow.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Feb 21 2006 1:16PM=-=>

Hi akelly,
    Thank you for your feedback. I could not reproduce your problem with the steps you have indicated. Would you happen to have someother service marked as dependent on the FTS service? Check the dependcies tab of the serice properties. If FTS service is indeed started then SSMS is depicting the correct state.
    Thanks,
    Ramesh Singh

<=-=Apr 4 2006 3:08PM=-=>

if you start the SQLAgent service related to the instance then FTS is started.

18. Reporting Services Error after applying SQL2005 sp1

After applying Sql server 2005 Service Pack 1, I get the following error when trying to access reporting services from a web browser:

The version of the report server database is either in a format that is not valid, or it cannot be read. The found version is 'C.0.8.43'. The expected version is 'C.0.8.40'. To continue, update the version of the report server database and verify access rights. (rsInvalidReportServerDatabase)

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 19 2006 5:24PM=-=>

We have not seen this issue internally. The error message you provided is interesting in 2 ways:
    1) it indicates the report server database was upgraded but the server was not
    2) it is very similar to an error message that does occur periodically
    I’ll try to explain this below:
    If the error is that the database is C.0.8.43 but C.0.8.40 is the expected version, this indicates likely that you are working in a scale-out (web farm) deployment. in this case you must upgrade each report server in the scale-out to SP1. Alternatively, you may be using an existing database for a different report server. In this case ensure the report server has been upgraded.

The error we see more often is that the database version is C.0.8.40 but the expected version is C.0.8.43. This can occur with SP1. I have a blog post…

19. Maintenance Plan Infinite Loop

Set up a Maintenance Plan which is a "soup to nuts" plan, doing all activities (shrink, optimize, backup, etc) for system dbs and user dbs. I'd script it for you, but you don't give me a way to script it :-(. Run it and the cpu for sqlserver.exe goes up to 100% and never completes. I've attached a zip file containing a profiler run and you'll see it looping on a sql statement.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Sep 30 2005 10:36AM=-=>

Thank you for your bug report , we will look at fixing this issue in a future service pack

Radu Singer

<=-=Sep 30 2005 5:40PM=-=>

Thank you for your bug report. We are considering fixing this issue in a future service pack
    Radu Singer

<=-=Oct 12 2005 6:04PM=-=>

Dear customer,

We were unable to reproduce the issue that you encountered . Actually looking at the trace file you have attached and the layout of the maintenance plan it was executing exactly as supposed .
    You have selected taks that are “reorganize indexes in all tables and views in all databases on the system” This includes databases like master , model , msdb with a lot of such objects . Those tasks are actually enumerating all indexes in those dbs in order to determine which objects should the task act upon. It is not unusual…

20. "Error grave instalando SQL Server 2005 Express"

Impossible to install SQL Server 2005 Express. Message: "Error grave instalando SQL Server 2005 Express"

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Nov 28 2005 5:48PM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback.

Please attach the cab to this bug report.

Radu Singer

<=-=Nov 30 2005 4:21PM=-=>

Please attach the cab to this bug…

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base