SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. sp_helptext output loosing format of the code when displayed in grid...

To get and edit a stored procedure source code I use the sp_helptext which sends the output to result pane. If the result pane is in text mode the code that is printed is retaining the the original format with tabs and spaces etc.

But when the results pan is in grid mode (CTRL+D) and if I do select all rows and copy and paste the code into a new code window the code is loosing it's format. All the tabs are getting converted into a space.

Regards,
    Ashok Guduru

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Jul 9 2008 8:37AM=-=>

AshokGuduru,

Thank you for the feedback. This feature will be tracked as a feature candidate of future release.

Regards,
    Eric Kang
    Program Manager, Microsoft SQL Server

<=-=May 18 2011 10:35PM=-=>

Dear AshokGuduru,

We took a look at this bug along with several others recently. Unfortunately, triaging it against other critical bugs, I do not think we would get to investigating this in the near future. However, we have taken note of this internally, and when we revisit this functionality in the future, we will try and get this resolved.

Thanks for writing in to Microsoft.

Sincerely,
    Deepesh Srivastava

<=-=Feb 15 2012 11:40AM=-=>

Eagerly looking forward to the fix,

Krishna
    date: 02/15/2012

2. MSIT-MSO: Incorrect query in sys.dm_exec_trigger_stats BOL topic

In BOL, sys.dm_exec_trigger_stats the Example section lists an incorrect query to get the top five triggers identified by average elapsed time.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Jul 9 2008 12:34PM=-=>

Thanks so much for your feedback. The documentation for the correct top five triggers will be corrected in a future Books Online release.

Kris Froland
    SQL Server User Education

<=-=Jul 26 2010 3:07PM=-=>

The topic has been updated. Resolving this as a duplicate to item 232450.

3. DTEXEC is not running after upgrading RC0

We upgraded one of our production environments to SQL Server 2008 RC0
    After upgrading when we want to run an SSIS package in command prompt by using dtexec we get an error.
    Actually even if we run dtexec in command prompt the result is the same.
    we get an error message saying "This application has failed to start because DTEParse100.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem"

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 2 2008 1:44PM=-=>

Thanks for sending us your feedback.

We investigated this issue and its behaving this way by design. When customers upgrade from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008 RC0, the upgrade process does not remove SQL Server 2005 tools.

Have you tried using DTExec.exe from this folder PROGRAMFILES\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\? It should work. If it doesn’t please let us know.

The workaround would be to set the “PATH” environment variable to include SQL Server 2008 binn path (i.e. PROGRAMFILES\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\) before the SQL Server 2005 binn path (i.e. PROGRAMFILES\Microsoft SQL Server\90\DTS\Binn\) so that the right toolset gets used.

Thanks,
    Ritu

4. Once set in project properties, StartItem setting cannot be removed.

Not a big deal but once set in project properties, StartItem setting cannot be removed.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. ASCMD does not return an Abend

When using ASCMD utility to process cubes it incorrectly returns a successful error code when Analysis services is stopped midway during processing

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Jul 8 2008 5:54PM=-=>

diteshonline.

Thank you for reporting the problem.
    We are going to take a look at this and see what needs to be done to get this fixed.

The Analysis Services Team.

<=-=Aug 4 2008 4:25PM=-=>

I have attempted to repro the problem both with SQL 2005 and 2008 RC0 and cannot. Both on WS08 64-bit and WS03 32-bit. Here is what I’ve attempted to do. See the attached scripts. Basically these scripts process an existing partition — and then while processing is on-going I stop the msmdsrv process using the OS Services applet. In all cases, ascmd detected an error and set the error level in the returned status. I’ve attached both the scripts and the results.

<=-=Aug 5 2008 4:53PM=-=>

Not knowing if you have Office 2007, I’ve saved as a .pdf and attached.

6. MSFT - Maddog: Tapblock: Query returns wrong results!

We have a query that returns different results depending on the columns included. This is obviously bad!

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. MSFT: MSSales: RC1 -- Restart AS and gets Unhandled exception in Service Control when Timeout reached.

Restarting Analysis Server using SSMS gives an unhandled exception when a timeout is reached.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 17 2008 1:22PM=-=>

Hello -thanks for reporting. We’ve filed this as defect request and I go the following information from the Developer:

This bug comes as a results of the size of the model. It takes time to load the cube metadata in memory. Meanwhile SSMS times out – if you use the Windows service control to start/restart the service you won’t see this issue.

Thanks for reporting!

Buck Woody, SQL Server Program Manager

8. RC0 RS - Tablix Header Does Not Remain While Scrolling

When creating a new RS Report, you can not set the Column Headers to remain when scrolling after clicking on the appropriate checkboxes in 'Tablix Properties'.
    (See attachment 'Tablix Headers1.jpg')

Another interseting item: When importing a previously created RS report (here from CTP 6) that already has the columns settings set to be visible when scrolling, you can not reset the tablix headers such that they are not visible when scrolling. If you unclick the 'Show Headers While Scrolling', the report's table will still have the column hears visible when scrolling.
    (See attachments 'Tablix Headers2.jpg' and 'Tablix Headers2a.jpg')

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 5

<=-=Jul 17 2008 11:20AM=-=>

Thank you for reporting this issue. It is a known usability issue we will fix in a future release. 2005 table reports upgraded to 2008 do not contain a group header area. Fixed rows and columns are set with the FixedData property on the relevant tablix member. The “Headers remain visible while scrolling” options only apply if there is a tablix row or column header area. You can see them on the design surface above and to the left of the double dashed lines if these areas are in your data region. Drop a new matrix onto the design surface to see an example, matrix always contains a row and column header area. We will make enhancements to make this easier to set in a future release.

<=-=Jul 17 2008 2:01PM=-=>

I see how dropping a new matrix will let you do that now…

9. Visual Studio 2008 freezes when a BI Project is left Idle for some time

If I open a BI project, such as Reporting Services and Analysis Services, and leave Visual Studio idle for some time, Visual Studio 2008 hangs. I am unable to select any items in the project.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 24 2008 8:58PM=-=>

Thanks a lot Teo for reporting the problem.

This is likely problem with beta version of Visual Studio. We expect you should see this getting fixed with VS 2008 SP1.

Thanks again for reporting the problem.
    Edward Melomed

<=-=Aug 29 2008 6:38AM=-=>

Not fixed with Visual Studio Service Pack 1. I leave an Analysis Services project open for a while and IDE freezes. The only way to get around it is to shut the devenv process inTask Manager.

<=-=Jan 13 2009 1:04PM=-=>

Any Word on this? Is there a hot fix for this bug?

10. Invalid COPY-PASTE-operation behaviour for cyrillic text in scripts in Management Studio

If I copy (CTRL+C) sql-script (from Management Studio) which contains cyrillic comments or strings and script is saved with default (ANSI) encoding or not saved yet then copied text is pasted (with syntax highlighting) into MS Word with wrong symbols instead of cyrillic ones. If I save script as Unicode (UTF-8 with signature) then cyrillic symbols are pasted into Word correctly. Unicode and Unicode (big endian) encoding behave like ANSI (incorrectly). If I paste code into Word or Notepad as plain text (using any file encoding) then cyrillic symbols are pasted correctly.
    I believe that it is not MS Word…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Jul 17 2008 2:06PM=-=>

Alexey,

Thank you for reporting the issue. Can you please let us know whether MS word had know issue of displaying cyrillic text on the settings? In the mean time, I will forward it to product team to investigate.

Regards,
    Eric

<=-=Jul 17 2008 8:09PM=-=>

Thank you Eric.
    Unfortunately I din’t realize what you mean speaking about “know issue of displaying cyrillic text on the settings”. Can you please clarify?

<=-=Aug 11 2008 10:21PM=-=>

This also happens with Romanian symbols (a�st): if pasted as plain text they are fine, if pasted normally (as RTF) they show as “����”.

Razvan Socol
    SQL Server MVP

<=-=Jun 20 2011 12:47AM=-=>

Hi Alexey,

This is regarding connect item 356388. We looked into the issue carefully, but unfortunately it is not likely that we will be able to address the issue in the near future. Accordingly we are…

11. one of the Newly Added column's don't replicate NULL value

After adding 3 columns to a Table with the following schema data is not replicated for one of the newly added columns
    --commented columns are the newly added.

I initially got this in a SQL 2005 64 bit environment and then when I test it with the 32 bit SQL 2008 RC0 same result.
    SET ANSI_NULLS ON
    GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
    GO

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[TESTTABLE](
    [TESTTABLEID] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT FOR REPLICATION NOT NULL,
    [ID] [int] NOT NULL,
    [Code] [nvarchar](3) NOT NULL,
    [ERName] [nvarchar](30) NOT NULL,
    [ExCode] [nvarchar](10) NULL,
    [TSymbol] [nvarchar](12) NOT NULL,
    [INCode] [nvarchar](12) NOT NULL,
    [CSCode] [nvarchar](9) NOT NULL, …

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Microsoft.SqlServer.BatchParserClient.dll not included in Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Management Objects

We are developing and testing against a SQL 2008 server. The required assembly Microsoft.SqlServer.BatchParserClient.dll is not included in the downloadable feature pack. I had to copy the DLL from a machine with SQL 2008 installed to the client machine. This assembly is not found after trying to use Database.ExecuteNonQuery Method. I believe this required assembly should be installed with the rest of the SMO assemblies.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 19

<=-=Jul 15 2008 4:31AM=-=>

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting this issue. This issue is already fixed and will be available in next public release of Sql Server.
    Thanks,
    Sravanthi

<=-=Jul 18 2008 1:42PM=-=>

I had the same issue . I my case I installed the 32 bit version of SMO to windows 2003 server and it did not install Microsoft.SqlServer.BatchParserClient.dll which caused a problem during execution.

<=-=Nov 24 2009 10:12AM=-=>

It may be fixed as far as the assembly cach install process for smo , but it is not fixed for creating
    redistributable setup packages.

I have sql express advanced editions with sp1 and vs 2008 with sp1 installed. I have a Report Installer setup
    package which uses an imbedded vb.net app as an execution event installer process. I ported this project to
    2008. I had to update the vb.net smo refferences to sql 2008, and it did not…

13. Ragial gauge range dissappear after calibrating the scale

1. Drop a radial range.
    2. Calibrate the scale.
    3. The default range disappears from the design image but it�s the Ranges collection

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. SQL Server 2008 Express Advanced Password Expiration Checkbox Grayed Out

After installing a fresh copy of SQL Server 2008 Express Advanced on Windows 2008 x64 Enterprise Edition I found that if I didn't uncheck the box for "User much change password on next login" during SQL account creation I could not uncheck it later because it was grayed out in the properties of that user. I had to delete my test database and test user and recreate them with this checkbox unchecked. I cannot alter SQL Server policies in this edition due to it being crippled, so this was the only workaround I found. Until I did this, no remote…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 21 2008 2:25PM=-=>

Hello Crumb,

Thank you for reporting this problem. SQL Server will prompt for the user to change the password the first time he/she logs into the server. If you would like to check/uncheck the option after the Login was created but before the user has logged into you could recreate the login. We will look at this issue for a future release of SQL Server.

Thanks,
    Karthik

MS SQL Server

<=-=Jun 10 2011 6:42AM=-=>

Hello Crumb,

Thanks for logging the issue.

We discussed and triaged the issue along with the other issues that have been logged in the SQL Server bug database, and due to other critical issues and resource and time constraints, we are not taking-up this issue for fixing it. We have taken note of this internally, and when we revisit this functionality in the future, we will try and get this…

15. AMO Update Error. Memory error: Allocation failure : Not enough storage is available to process this command.

Hi all,

I have a looping code in C# using AMO which accepts dimension objects, makes some changes such as addition or updation of attributes and hierarchies. It also updates properties for the dimension and the lower objects(Like attribute and hierarchies).

The full Description of the error can be found in MSDN forums at the following link :
    http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3625890&SiteID=1

There is another link in this thread that can be used as a reference. I will attach the trace file to this feedback for reference.

Regards...
    Girija Shankar

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Sep 8 2008 6:47AM=-=>

I have added a workaround which worked for me. Can you please confirm and close this issue .

Regards..
    Girija Shankar

<=-=Oct 13 2008 11:26AM=-=>

Girija.

Thanks for findning the workaround. Can you please attach the workaround to this issue.
    Currently it doesnt look like it has been added.

16. Service account Startup mode during install is available for selection

When installing a SQL 2008 cluster, the Service account Startup mode during install is available for selection. It defaults to Manual but it could be changed to Automatic or Disabled that should not be possible on a Cluster

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 18 2008 3:52PM=-=>

Fabio,

We will look at this for the next release.

We shouldn’t create service accounts during prepare ideally, but we do due to ACL’ing reason during setup (to avoid re-ACL’ing during complete). Ideal fix is to remove service configuration from Prepare for next release (so that we can be fully sys-prep ready).

Worst case, if we do not change the current behavior for next release, we shouldn’t allow user changing the service start up type from Manual on Prepare UI.

But, there is nothing in Windows SCM that prevents user from changing the service start up type anyway. So, even if setup does not allow this, we cannot block Windows SCM from changing it.

Thanks,

Max

<=-=Jun 9 2009 2:51PM=-=>

Hi Fabio,

We plan “not to allow” changing the startup type for clustered services for our next major release. We have an existing item…

17. Query plan operators costing more than 100%

For the query below, the overall cost estimate is less than the estimate for some individual operators. As a result, relative costs exceed 100% for these operators. The overall cost calculation appears to be incorrect, because it did not account for both subtree costs.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 18 2008 1:32PM=-=>

There is some explanation here:
    http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=267530

<=-=Jul 21 2008 5:06PM=-=>

Dear Steve,

Thanks for pointing out this inconsistency. This is a know bug and we’ll link your comment up with the known bug. We’ll see if we can address this in a future release.

Thanks,
    Eric

<=-=Jul 21 2008 5:10PM=-=>

Dear Steve,

Thanks for pointing out this inconsistency. This is a know bug and we’ll link your comment up with the known bug. We’ll see if we can address this in a future release.

Thanks,
    Eric

<=-=Aug 10 2011 1:21AM=-=>

hi Steve,

This is regarding the connect item 356913. Occasionally when queries have conditional statements (or more than one execution path) the query optimizer costs those paths too while arriving at the optimal plan. This is because in case of estimated plans, the optimizer really cannot decide which path will get executed. In these…

18. Start Powershell failes when connecting to non default port

When connecting in SSMS to a server configured to run under a different port than 1433 and TCP/IP network library only the Start Powershell command failes to connect to the server. The server is registered as SERVERNAME,PORT. The SqlBrowser service is not running.

It seems that the comma needs to be escaped. The next command isn't working within the SQLPS utility as well:
    set-location SQLSERVER:\SQL\SERVERNAME,PORT\DEFAULT

When you change this to:
    set-location SQLSERVER:\SQL\SERVERNAME`,PORT\DEFAULT
    it works.

I'm know the character needs to be escaped in powershell or enoded. The problem is that the connection is failes when is start powershell within SSMS…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

<=-=Jul 18 2008 7:58AM=-=>

Hi Robert,
    Thanks for reporting the issue on PowerShell. This is by design. There are certain characters within PowerShell that have special meaning. This is mostly documented here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc281841(SQL.100).aspx

You need to escape the special characters and there are a few options for doing so:
    1) Escape with a tick `
    2) Wrap the text in double quotes “blah,blah”
    3) Use the hex equivalent %2C
    4) Use the Encode-SqlName cmdlet

Best of luck,
    Dan Jones
    Group Program Manager
    SQL Server Manageability

<=-=Jul 18 2008 12:35PM=-=>

Hi Dan,

Well, I’m aware of that, as I described connecting in SQLPS works when you escape the character. It doesn’t work when you select Start Powershell from the context menu within SSMS. And I can’t escape the characters there, or can I?

<=-=Jan 29 2009 8:48PM=-=>

Hi, Robert! This is a bug and we will fix this…

19. SQL Query Editor Extension Mapping

When I map a the .prc extension to the SQL Query Editor, it is not recognized with a File | Open. However, it is recognized when I drag the .prc file into the editor.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

<=-=Jul 17 2008 8:15AM=-=>

Hi Tom,
    Thanks for reporting the bug. I was able to repro this but only in a very specific way. After I setup the prc extension I opened the file and it did not recognize it as a SQL file. I then restarted SSMS. When I open the file from the recent files list it doesn’t recognize it as a SQL file. However, if I open it using File-Open it does recognize it. It appears that SSMS/VS is caching some information about the file when it’s opened from Recent files. This isn’t something we’ll be able to address in SQL Server 2008. We’ll keep this on the books and review it again when we start the next release.

Thanks,
    Dan Jones
    Group Program Manager
    SQL Server Manageability

<=-=Nov 13 2008 3:07AM=-=>

Very helpful, was able to apply this to UDF extensions too

20. Disk usage summary does not display space used for data files

Disk Usage Summary built-in report in SSMS (Data Collection) displays "MB MB" instead of the space used for specific data file.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 4

<=-=Jul 29 2008 8:12AM=-=>

Hi brejk,
    Thank you for your feedback regarding this report. We are aware of the problem and we’ll use this as the tracking issue so that others can vote on the issue. You can use the Standard Disk Usage report for the selected database to view the correct report as a workaround.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Jun 10 2011 6:20AM=-=>

Hi brejk,

This has been fixed. Please confirm this in the next available public release of SQL Server “Denali”.

Nikhil
    SQL Server Team

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Feedback and Knowledge Base