SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. foo2

foo2

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. foo

This is foo

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. 0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. MSIT-MARS MDX Query Returning Tuples Error

When I run a MDX Query I get the following error

The expression contains a function that cannot operate on a set with more than 4,294,967,296 tuples.

When the same is MDX Query is restructured (with the exact same dimensions & Measures) this error goes away

Please contact me (parveza@microsoft.com) if you need any access to our AS database

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Jun 18 2008 11:52AM=-=>

Parveza – thanks for reporting this. Looks like this was resolved with a workaround back in SP2. However, I wanted to follow up and let you know that we have moved this to an area we are reviewing for consideration in the next major release of SQL Server.

The Analysis Services Team

5. Did not delete any msi files from Windows\Installer folder

After installed SP2 CTP1 from the network drive, it is not deleted any *.msi files created by CTP1 and SP1.
    And the Windows\Hotfix folder is not deleted

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Local cube creation fails with memory error, sometimes causes crash

When testing the scalability of local cubes, I was trying to create some fairly large examples and noticed that I was unable to create one larger than around 230Mb - any larger and I got an 'Unable to Open Cellset' error. Looking in the flight recorder showed memory errors and also, occasionally, creating a local cube even seemed to cause msmdsrv.exe to fall over. I've attached some useful files from my data directory including the flight recorder logs and a minidump.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Format string issue with non calculated members (SSAS)

I have some calculated members and some non calculated members with their format string set to "#,#". When I get them from SQL Server Management Studio, a very weird thing happens:

- Calculated members are displayed correctly ( for example: 1.000.000)
    - Non calculated members are allways displayed in U.S. english ( for example: 1,000,000)

I've read some people have exactly the opposite problem, and changing locale settings for SSAS service is working for them... OK, this workaround doesn't work for me.

My regional settings are:
    - Windows XP PRO with regional settings set to SPANISH (os Spain)
    - Windows…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 5

<=-=Oct 5 2006 12:20PM=-=>

Thank you for reporting this issue. We will investigate and get back to you.

<=-=Apr 18 2007 7:18AM=-=>

This is not fixed in SP2 – both calculated and real measures now display the US format regardless of the client locale.

<=-=Sep 19 2010 6:22AM=-=>

You may override the LCID with the cube script to whatever you need. The list of supported LCID can be found on: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964664.aspx.
    Unfortunately this approach applies to all clients alike and cannot be individualized (user-specific).

LANGUAGE (THIS) = 2055 /* German – Switzerland */

8. Empty Drillthrough result when unrelated dimension attribute has a default member

Whenver a dimension attribute that is unrelated to a measure group has a default member which is not �All�, and the measure group has IgnoreUnrelatedDimensions set to false, no rows are ever returned when drilling through on the MeasureGroup (even if the value of the unrelated dimension is explicitly set to �All� at the cell from which the drillthrough takes place).

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 6

<=-=Oct 2 2006 12:55PM=-=>

This issue got reported twice – keeping the first report.

<=-=Mar 1 2011 12:24PM=-=>

I can repro the same issue with 2008 SP2. In my case, drillthrough on some cells returns no rows when it should or returns repeating rows. I think after four years it’s time for a fix. The only workaround I have is to set IgnoreUnrelatedDimensions back to True.

9. Management Studio Tabs don't update when Save As is used

When you open a file in SSMS and then use Save As to save the file the tab still says the file open is the old filename not the new one.

This is also the case in Express. However as they are different tools I have raised this for the full blown version of Management Studio

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 14

<=-=Sep 28 2006 11:45AM=-=>

The problem occurs when editing an existing file, apparently it does not occur with new files.
    Open an existing query file x.sql in Management Studio, (connection seems
    optional), make some edits, then save it as y.sql. You will see from the
    fiilename tab that you still seem to be editing x.sql.

<=-=Sep 28 2006 12:01PM=-=>

Hi sms,

We are aware of this issue and have already scheduled resources to fix this. However, we do very much appreciate you taking the time and effort to report the behavior and your needs to us.

Thank you,

Terrence Nevins
    SQL Server Program Manager

10. Management Studio displays wrong name of renamed file

Once you rename a file opened in Management Studio, the new name does not get reflected in the tab or tooltip (when you roll mouse over the tab). This is really frustrating, because once you rename the file, the only way to see the correct name would be by using the File - Save [...] As option, which displays the new name.

This bug is especially frustrating, because once Management Studio started displaying names of the servers in the tabs, there is just a handful of characters left to display file names. There may be a valid need to show…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Sep 28 2006 2:32PM=-=>

Hi alekdavis,

This issue has been reported earlier by another community member. It is currently assigned to a dev to be fixed.

However, we do appreciate that you took the time and trouble to let us know about it.

Thank You,

Terrence Nevins
    SQL Server Program Manager

<=-=Jul 27 2007 10:14AM=-=>

Duplicate of:

289296, 214233, 270645, 228523, 289265, 125965, 125967

11. MOM 2005 and SQL 2005 Management pack issue

Whenever MSSQLServerOLAPService logs application informational event 5 with description "The flight recorder was started.", the SQL 2005 Management pack rules in MOM 2005 report it as a critical error. The event rule under the management pack in mom admin console reports this as "An error occurred while the query log table was being created".

I'm not a DBA but rather a windows sys admin and I find this very confusing and I am wondering if this really is a critical alert related to the query log table having problems or if it is mislabeled as a critical alert and I…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Incorrect output of xsi:nil=true

We have a schema model built upon attributes rather than element values. For example:
    <family>
    <mother name="jane" age="33" />
    <father name="john" age="34" />
    <children>
    <child name="sara" grade="first" />
    <child name="thomas" grade="fifth" />
    </children>
    </family>

With a schema created for the above xml data installed in sql 2005, all select queries against the table containing the xml column will return xsi:nil=true in the node names.

Normally this is not a problem. However, couple that with VS2005 xmlserializer and the relevant objects will not be created.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Oct 9 2006 3:16PM=-=>

Dear Chris,

I assume that the schema produced by xsd.exe erroneously generates a nillable content model for the type. Can you remove the nillable=“true” from the XML schema? You can use the XML-DML to do so…

We are looking at improving the fidelity of our handling of the xsi:nil attribute for a future release, so only attributes that are provided in the instances are being returned. But for the time being, we recommend to only use nillable=“true” on elements that may have also non nilled content.

Best regards
    Michael

<=-=Oct 9 2006 5:51PM=-=>

Unfortunately we are also using Biztalk 2006.

Turning off nillable=true would cause Biztalk to not be able to process our xml files any more.

If I set the elements to nillable=false or just flat remove that part of the declaration then Biztalk refuses to handle the xml file and…

13. Analysis Services generates internal error when running managed code

We have a stored procedure/UDF written in C# that we are accessing in various calculated measures in our cube. The sproc interates through the root members of a dimension, summing up the measure of interest in the tuples of those members in the current context until hitting a threshold (percentile calculation). The query intermittantly generates internal error exceptions. This may be related to Bug #480669

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. MS Sales - In some queries, query performance of TOPCOUNT is slower that SP1!

In some queries, query performance of TOPCOUNT is slower that SP1!
    I see this issue mostly with cold cache, warm cache is faster than SP1 though!
    Tested Build, �3024�

Please contact me (scyrus@microsoft.com) for details and permission to the Dev test box

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Save As does not always update Query tab with new filename

I'm running SQL 2005 Management Studio SP 2 on Windows XP SP 2. What happens is when I use Save As to resave a file, the filename on the tab does not always change to that new name. This usually happens when I have opened a query I had saved in previously in Management Studio, made some changes, and resaved it. Just saving a query with one name, then using Save As to save it with something else does not produce the issue.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. bug on the Data dimension security set up?

tried to set up the security on the members of dimension attributes throught the "Dimension Data" tab of the "Edit role" form in the OLAP database.

If I set up an "Allowed Set" directly on a "cube-dimension", everything works fine, whilst if I set up an "Allowed Set " on the "Database dimension" (which I suppose should apply to all the cubes), then, if the "cube dimension" name is different from the "database dimension" name, then I get an error in the string parsing (referring to the first element in the "Allowed Set", which cannot be found in the cube,…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Nov 22 2006 1:21PM=-=>

Hi Vania,

Yes – this is a known problem we’re looking at. One approach is to do something like we already have for cubes – currentcube is an abstraction that refers to the cube in context. We’re considering something similar like CurrentDimension.

We hope to get to this is the next major release – buit no firm decision yet.

Thanks,
    Richard (richtk@microsoft.com)

17. DisplayFolder in report model generated from a cube doesn't work sometimes

Build a cube and generate a report model off of it using the Generate Model button in Report Manager. Under the following circumstances, it doesn't behave as expected...

If there are no calculated measures assigned to a folder in the measure group (via the calculation properties dialog), then setting the DisplayFolder attribute for a physical measure in that measure group will have no impact on the report model generated from that cube. Likewise, if there are no physical measures assigned to a DisplayFolder, then assigning calculated measures to a folder via the calculation properties dialog will have no effect. I…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Setting and using Context_Info

Currently,
    Context_info can be set by executing command "set context_info" and it can be seen in sysprocess.context_info or dm_exec_session.context_info. But it is a binary value. I think this restriction makes it useless or difficult to implement.

It should be nice
    if it can be set to a textdata
    if it can be seen as textdata (varchar or char type) in sysprocess and other dmvs
    if it can be seen and filtered in sql*profiler. This will be usefull especially for monitoring a specific part/module of an application.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 4

<=-=Oct 11 2006 10:10AM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback. It is a common need to be able to tag requests for monitoring / tracing purposes. We’ll consider this for future releases of SQL Server.

- Christian Kleinerman

<=-=Jan 20 2011 7:26AM=-=>

The ability to collect and filter on context_info has been added in Extended Events for the next version of SQL Server.

Thanks,
    Jerome Halmans
    SQLOS

<=-=Jun 25 2015 1:12AM=-=>

How is it possible to filter on context_info in Extended Events with a LIKE comparison?
    Since this is a binary value, one can only filter based on equality or inequality to another binary value.
    I would like to filter and fire only events for which the context_info contains the text “user=guy”.
    Is it possible?

Thanks,
    Guy

19. Drillthrough on a multilingual cube return only the default language

When I drillthrough on my cube which is a multilingual cube. Only the default language (english in my case) is returned instead of the user language.
    This bug is about the metadata and the result returned by the drill action

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Moving system databases data and log files to separate directories makes Service Pack 2 fail

I have had a lot of problems installing Service Pack 2 for SQL Server 2005 and I have found the same bug in the installation as in Service Pack 1 (reported as Bug ID 126672 and was supposed to be fixed in SP2).

The service pack installation of the "Database Services" component fails and I get the following two error messages in the file SQL9_Hotfix_KB921896_sqlrun_sql.msp.log:

Failed to copy file "D:\SQLDATA\INSTANCENAME\mssqlsystemresource.ldf" to "D:\SQLDATA\INSTANCENAME\mssqlsystemresource1.ldf". Error 2

Failed to copy file "D:\SQLDATA\INSTANCENAME\distmdl.ldf" to "D:\SQLDATA\INSTANCENAME\distmdl1.ldf". Error 2

The problem seems to be that we have moved the data and logfiles for all the system…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 8

<=-=Dec 7 2006 4:52PM=-=>

This bug has been fixed in CTP3 of SP2.

<=-=Feb 20 2007 12:52AM=-=>

No it has NOT been fixed! I have just tried the offical SP2 and the EXACT same problem still exists! Have you even tried putting the Mssqlsystemresource log and data files into separate directories and applying SP2 because it does not work?!

<=-=Jun 8 2007 7:40AM=-=>

this still isn’t fixed as I downloaded Sp2 last night and got this problem. Any ideas when it might be?? It’s a bit of a pain having to do the workround when your got 20 servers to install Sp2 on!

<=-=Jul 4 2007 10:28AM=-=>

+1 This should be fixed as soon as possible.

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base