SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Indexed View Returning Incorrect Data

There seems to be an issue selecting from an indexed views with a filter (SQL 2012, SP3 CU10).

Run the below SQL, it creates two tables and an indexed view, then runs a select that returns the wrong data.

There are actually two conditions on the same column in the final query (Answer In(1,2,3) And Answer = 1), it is ignoring the second one and returning all rows regardless.

Changing the query to add with (noexpand) on the indexed view fixes it.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Nov 6 2017 12:36PM=-=>

Hello Stuart — Thanks for submitting this feedback. We can reproduce the bug you reported, and we’re working on a fix, although we don’t have a specific time frame to share yet. We’ll update this Connect item when we know more.

Thanks,

Vassilis.

2. Inaccurate Intellisense warning

When using "ALTER TABLE...ADD CONSTRAINT...WITH(ONLINE=ON); SSMS 17.2 incorrectly gives the warning:
    " 'ONLINE' is not a recognized CREATE TABLE option."

When creating a PK constraint, the online option is a valid syntax (assuming the version/edition of the db engine supports online index creation.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Add Database to Availability Group : Password required

Databases show as needing password when running always wizard, however database is not encrypted.
    Problem effects both SQL Server Management Studio 2016 and 2017.

I have a workaround to restore the database manually and add to the AG by t-sql however it would be nice to have this issue fixed.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Sep 18 2017 12:06PM=-=>

I had the same issue in my customer environment. Little more details here. In my case TDE is not enabled, but there is database master key inside the user db and certificate too. This looks like they had some pre-check for keys and certificate but not real check whether the entire database is encrypted or not. I could able to add the db using T-SQL. It would be great if this can be fixed for GUI

4. bcp not setting nonzero return value when query is killed

When I export data via bcp and kill the corresponding process in SQL Server, bcp does not throw an error.
    In previous versions, a nonzero return code was issued additionally to an error message.
    I tested against different sql server versions using the same bcp binary (2016 version).

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. SSDT 15.3.0 Preview error 0x8007138b

Installation of SSDT 15.3.0 Preview fails with error: "0x8007138B, The cluster resource cannot be made dependent on the specified resource because it is already dependent."
    There is no cluster. Its TFS 2013 build server.
    Installed Microsoft Build Tools 2017, SQL Server 2012 SSAS and SSRS.

Last lines from install log:
    [1768:1B50][2017-09-12T07:48:19]i000: MainViewModel.OnPackageActionProgress: Percent completed: 50, Overall progress: 25
    [1CEC:1A48][2017-09-12T07:48:19]e000: Error 0x8007138b: Process returned error: 0x138b
    [1CEC:1A48][2017-09-12T07:48:19]e000: Error 0x8007138b: Failed to execute EXE package.
    [1768:1B50][2017-09-12T07:48:19]e000: Error 0x8007138b: Failed to configure per-machine EXE package.
    [1768:1B50][2017-09-12T07:48:19]i000: MainViewModel.OnPackageAction: Install Completed for package Update Visual Studio Installer (id: VSSQLUpdateInstaller)
    [1768:1B50][2017-09-12T07:48:19]i319: Applied execute package:…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 7

<=-=Nov 24 2017 6:59AM=-=>

When attempting to install “SSDT for Visual Studio 2017 (15.4.0 preview)”, build 14.0.16134.0, I get the same error code:
    Error 0×8007138b: Failed to execute EXE package.
    MainViewModel.OnBundleAction: Bundle action failed: The cluster resource cannot be made dependent on the specified resource because it is already dependent (0×8007138B)

I created an “offline” package, using the /layout flag for SSDT-Setup-ENU.exe
    Please contact me if further information would be helpful.

<=-=Dec 11 2017 7:32AM=-=>

I’m also seeing this for 15.4 from an offline installer package created by SSDT-SetUp-ENU.exe /layout ./SSDT

<=-=Dec 11 2017 8:38AM=-=>

I am having the same error, installing SSDT 15.3.0 Preview offline.

<=-=Dec 11 2017 1:57PM=-=>

I’m getting the same error too with 15.4.0, both using the normal installer, as well as an offline installer package (for VS 2017).

<=-=Dec 19 2017 9:51PM=-=>

Have you tried…

6. Policy Based Management Bug

Policy is not working correctly when using Database Facet's Status feature in Policy Based Management.

For example, if there is a database whose status is not normal, then the policy is not failing. because it can not control offline databases.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. SSDT: Error when trying to publish to a SQL Server 2016 database that has the new 'EXECUTE ANY EXTERNAL SCRIPT' permission set.

Trying to publish a database project to a SQL Server 2016 database where any principal has the 'EXECUTE ANY EXTERNAL SCRIPT' permission results in the following error:
    TSQL Model: Error detected when reverse engineering the database. Severity:'Warning' Prefix:'' Error Code:'0' Message:The permission 'EAES' was not recognized and was not imported. If this problem persists, contact customer support.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. SSMS 17.2 Solutions Explorer does not show currently open files like it did in prior versions

This is regression, as SSMS SQL 2014 does this just fine.
    Every time new query is open, it is added to 'Solution Explorer' under 'Miscellaneous Files', as follows

Solution 'Solution1' (0 projects)
    [-] Miscellaneous Files

SQLQuery1.sql

SQLQuery2.sql
    Script.sql

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Nov 7 2017 3:07PM=-=>

thanx for the report! The use of Miscellaneous Files in the solution is now optional, and is off by default. You can enable it in Tools\Options\Environment\Documents. “Show Miscellaneous files in Solution Explorer”

<=-=Nov 8 2017 6:58AM=-=>

David, why is it off by default, when all prior versions of SSMS included it ON, with no feature to turn it off? THIS IS DEFAULT BEHAVIOR ALL EXPECT TO SEE! Many users, including I rely on it in daily workflow. If there are users that want it off, provide them with option to turn it off but don’t turn it off for everyone else!
    What gain did you achieve by having it turned off? You simply rattled SQL development community and upset them with another broken thing in SSMS. This just baffles me!

9. "Edit Query Text" not available in SSMS 17.2 "Execution plan" tab

Run a query or get an estimated execution plan, and right-click anywhere on the query plan. There's no "Edit Query Text" option. But if you save the plan, then open it in another window, you can right-click on the plan and get "Edit Query Text."

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Oct 13 2017 2:48PM=-=>

Thank you for the pictures :)
    Alan

<=-=Oct 14 2017 3:07AM=-=>

Hey, anything I can do to help. :-D

<=-=Nov 7 2017 2:56PM=-=>

thanx for the report. I tried this with SSMS 2012, it has the same behavior. We could look at adding it in a future release. It’s possible that the act of saving the plan forces collection of more data in the persisted file than what is available to the in-memory plan.

10. Temporal Tables with Cascade Delete and binary data column (varbinary(max)) generates error

• Two system-versioned tables, parent & child

• Child table containts a varbinary(max) column, and this column is populated with data (is not null)

• FK constraint with cascading deletes

• Delete parent row 1

Get the following error

Msg 7105, Lev

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Double \ in database path leads to restore error

If database was created with path that contained double \ char then restore fails with error:

The operating system returned the error '32(The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.)' while attempting 'RestoreContainer::ValidateTargetForCreation' on 'c:\diskr\sql20172\data\test2.mdf'.

Previous versions of SQL Server worked fine. Sql 2017 Release fails.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Replication - Log Reader Verbose file

In log reader verbose file i am seeing 2 entry of ReadBatchSize.
    In my Log Reader Agent profile value for -ReadBatchSize - 500

So i am confused with second entry of -ReadBatchSize showing 500000

Is it verbose showing MIN & MAX or what that second entry -ReadBatchSize 500000 is all about?

In my understanding value 500000 is for LogScanThreshold and not -ReadBatchSize

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. TF4199 causes problems with date range queries where date range does not fall within statistics.

TF4199 causes problems with date range queries where date range does not fall within statistics.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. "Unable to determine how to invoke Microsoft Help Viewer." when pressing Help in Database Properties, Query Store page

"Unable to determine how to invoke Microsoft Help Viewer." when pressing Help in Database Properties, Query Store page

Help preference is set to 'Launch in Help viewer'

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 14.0.17177.0
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 14.0.806.134
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 10.0.15063.0
    Microsoft MSXML 3.0 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.11.15063.0
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.30319.42000
    Operating System 6.3.15063

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Upgrade from SQL Server 2016 SP1 cum 4 to 2017 RTM leaves [master] and [msdb] compatibility level at SQL Server 2016 (130)

But [model] and [tempdb] are at SQL 2017(140)

This does not seem right.

Also, add SQL 2017 RTM as an option in versions on this page

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Importing Power Pivot model with empty tables in SSAS 2017 / SSDT

Scenario: create a new SSAS Tabular project in VS2015/SSDT 17.2, importing a Power Pivot file. When the Power Pivot model has tables with zero rows, only measures (created by copy/pasting a single cell from Excel), the project is created without issues, having compatibility level 1200 or lower. Changing the compatibility level to 1400 results in a syntax error. SSAS apparently tries to turn the pasted table into a calculated table, but the DAX table expression does not work with an empty table.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Only hash or nonclustered indexes can be created on memory optimized tables

After I had added clustered columnstore index to an in-memory table, I no longer can invoke functionality "Script Table as > DROP And CREATE to" in SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) on this table, as the following error is displayed "Only hash or nonclustered indexes can be created on memory optimized tables. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)".

I cannot even generate scripts for database containing in-memory table with clustered columnstore index, due to the same error.

If I remove the clustered index on that table, everything works as expected.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Sep 14 2017 4:34PM=-=>

Unfortunately making the In-Memory table unalterable is a limitation of the SQL Server 2016/2017 and hopefully will be removed in the next version of the product.
    Regarding the scripting out -> this is definitely a bug of the SSMS.

18. ?????float????

print Convert(float, isnull(5.66-(9.040000+0) + (3.380000+0),0))

declare @NowNum float set @nownum=5.6600

declare @NowInNum1 float set @NowInNum1=9.0400
    declare @NowInNum2 float set @NowInNum2=0.0
    declare @NowOutNum1 float set @NowOutNum1=3.3800
    declare @NowOutNum2 float set @NowOutNum2=0
    print @NowNum -(@NowInNum1+@NowInNum2)+( @NowOutNum1+ @NowOutNum2)
    print @NowNum +( @NowOutNum1+ @NowOutNum2)-( @NowInNum1+ @NowInNum2)

???print ????????????????????????????

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. A lot of worker threads with COMMIT_TABLE wait - SQL Server "unresponsive"

Several hundreds of worker threads with COMMIT_TABLE wait type with the large size of syscommittab table. CHECKPOINT thread is blocked with the same wait type. SQL Server cannot gracefully shutdown in this state.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 18

<=-=Aug 31 2017 7:43AM=-=>

We have similar problems from time to time on our production servers. We created a limit (on application side) which enables only 25 connections to changetable functions at a time but sometimes we still go into problems. This means that this problem can occur also during normal server activity. I have only 25 commit_table locks but the server is partly functional (I can’t issue checkpoint, use change tracking, make backups, stop the server traditionally, etc).
    We can’t reproduce this bug on our test environment.

This is a very serious issue for us, as we must hard stop SQL server (ex shutdown with nowait). Then, because of other bug, change tracking data, from the time of failure, is gone. Yes, you’re right – DATA LOSS

Worth noting:
    1. all queries which do not involve change tracking work fine.

2. On DAC I’m able to get…

20. SQL Server 2016 MDS Derived Hierarchy Permission Not Working

I'm trying to assign users permissions for a Derived Hierarchies in MDS Web UI. After selecting a derived Hierarchy on the manage user page, the tree of the selected Hierarchy remains empty. Instead a Progress bar appears forever which prevents me from assigning permissions.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Oct 4 2017 1:57AM=-=>

Maybe this solution helps? https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/a7a6c204-7118-4a65-a399-f70e500a0228/fyi-german-customers-we-found-a-localization-issue-related-to-the-hierarchy-explorer-page-under?forum=sqlmds

<=-=Nov 26 2017 6:49PM=-=>

Thanks for reporting this issue. This is a perf regression we noticed in 2016 and we are now actively working on it. Thanks.

Best regards,
    Rodge

<=-=Nov 26 2017 6:50PM=-=>

Thanks for reporting this issue. This is a perf regression we noticed in 2016 and we are now actively working on it. Thanks.

Best regards,
    Rodge

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base