SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. UI with 4K monitor

Hi Microsoft! I'm writing to reccomending to fix the UI. Try to use SSMS with a 4K monitor with 3840x2160 @ 250% of scaling, is a nightmare.

Please, please please FIX this.
    I'm using the last one version, 18.4, but the problems are still present

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bad refresh

Sometimes i have several pages loaded. When I change from one to another destination page doesn't refresh right. I see results a querys from first page.
    Please correct this bug
    SQL Server Management Studio 15.0.18183.0
    Herramientas cliente de Microsoft Analysis Services 15.0.1487.0
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 10.0.17134.1
    Microsoft MSXML 3.0 5.0 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.11.17134.0
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.30319.42000
    Sistema operativo 10.0.17134

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. disappearing tool icon in SSMC 2019

i installed SQL server management 2019 on my laptop. but suddenly when i m using it. tool icons such like new query e.t.c. they get disappeared. and after i move my cursor into that then it appears again only the highlighted icon. how can i resolve that

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. PolyBase ODBC [Incorrect syntax near CONNECTION_OPTIONS.]

Hey.
    I'm trying PolyBase.

The SQL Server version is as follows.
    Microsoft SQL Server 2019 (RTM-GDR) (KB4517790)-15.0.2070.41 (X64) Oct 28 2019 19:56:59 Copyright (C) 2019 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows Server 2019 Datacenter 10.0 (Build 17763:) (Hypervisor)

The version of SSMS is 18.4.

CREATE EXTERNAL DATA SOURCE [TwitterInstance] WITH ( LOCATION = 'odbc: // {hostname}', CONNECTION_OPTIONS = 'DRIVER = {CData ODBC Driver for Twitter}; DSN = CData Twitter Sys', CREDENTIAL = [TwitterCredential]) GO

The result executed by SSMS is "Incorrect syntax near CONNECTION_OPTIONS.".

But can run it in ADS.
    Why??

Please refer to Github.
    https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/sql-docs/issues/3468

Wait for Help.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. SQL Server 2019 fails to install alongside previous versions of SQL Server

Unable to install SQL Server 2019 with previous version of SQL Server installed. SQL Server 2019 fails to install, with just installing Database Engine if previous versions of SQL Server are installed on the machine. Install of SQL Server 2019 passes with no other versions of SQL Server installed on the machine.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. SQL Server 2019 Master Data Service: Number editing fails

Upgraded SQL 2017 MDS to SQL 2019 RTM. Editing an decimal value of an entity fails when regional language is set to german. Can't use "," as an decimal seperator, When language set to an english then editing works fine when using "." as decimal seperator

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Unable to deply Tabular model in 1500 compatibilty, but in 1400 works

I can't deploy my model to SSAS 2019 RTM in compatibility level 1500. If I change to 1400, I can deploy it without problems to the very same instance of SSAS 2019.

Error is from events log: The description for Event ID 22 from source MSOLAP$TABULAR cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. SSMS - Dragging a table into the DAX query window adds [] instead of ''

In SSMS, dragging a table into the DAX query window adds [ ] around the table name instead of ' ', which is invalid DAX syntax. It would be great if the syntax for 'Table name'[Column name] would be automatically applied.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Replicatedmaster user database

If you create an user database named replicatedmaster in SQL Server 2019 RTM some weird things happen. You can't drop it, you can't detach it, and so on... because it is considered a system database.

It seems related with all the (nasty?) underground changes required to replicate master&msdb databases on SQL Server Managed instances.

Anyway, if that database name should not be used for some reason, please not allow creating an user database with that name.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. SSMS 18: Find/Replace abends, and then cannot be restarted/reopened

With at least SSMS 18.2 and 18.3, Find/Replace abends (both the "Quick Find/Replace" and "Find/Replace in Files" dialogs disappear), and any attempt to re-instantiate them results in an error popup stating "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

This is quite annoying, as SSMS has to be closed and restarted to be able to search and replace again.

Copied from the Help/About dialog:

SQL Server Management Studio 15.0.18183.0
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 15.0.1487.0
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 10.0.14393.0
    Microsoft MSXML 3.0 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.11.14393.0
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.30319.42000
    Operating System 10.0.14393

Update: After…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Import Data-tier from cloud storage not keep settings

When importing a data-tier application and using Azure Storage Account as your source for the bacpac file, the settings set during connection do not populate in the main wizard window.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. outlining does not work in SSMS v18.3 but works fine in v17.x

in v17.x and early versions of v18.x I was able to toggle outlining of SQL scripts, however now this seems to have disappeared in v18.3 and also in 18.2, I tried downgrading but that didn't help

What I mean by this is that the + and - next to collapsable code no longer appears, it sometimes does after I have restarted SSMS but only sometimes and it disappears after a while (maybe 30 minutes maybe more).

It is enabled in the settings, but there is no way I can get it to appear other than restarting SSMS and maybe, just…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

Environment is SQL Server 2016 SP2 CU2 running on Windows Server 2012. Failover cluster with two nodes, both VMs. EXCEPTIONACCESSVIOLATION was logged several times at once, for a variety of different commands/queries, and in various modules (ntdll, sqldk)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. SSRS connected to SQL SERVER 2019 preview errors with Microsoft.Extensions.DependencyInjection.Abstractions

I was directed here from the MSDN help here : https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/Lync/en-US/10fb19d3-ef74-4e89-97dd-c60436323a31/ssrs-branding-package-wouldnt-upload-now-i-get-errors-on-every-page?forum=sqlreportingservices

but the short version is as follows:
    1. Fresh install of Windows Server 2019
    2. Fresh install of SQL Server 2019 as developer
    3. Fresh install of SSRS Report server on the same system
    4. Tried to Upload a Branding package - could not get any of the default ones I modified to work. Only error is 'Something went wrong'
    5. Upload a default branding package unmodified
    6. Now visiting any page in the SSRS portal results in 'Something went wrong, try again later'
    7. Repair installs of the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Query returns wrong data with in-memory table and/or clustered column store index

You can find a detailed explanation of my issue here:

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/query-returns-wrong-data-with-in-memory-table-and-clustered-column-store-index

or here

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/58592885/query-returns-wrong-data-with-in-memory-table-and-or-clustered-column-store-inde

You can find attached a script that reproduce the issue. I'm expecting that all six queries returns the same data (THREE rows, order doesn't matter). One row for each AttributeRootName "Attribute-1", "Attribute-1.1" and "Attribute-1.1.1"

Unfortunately the first query returns only ONE row. This is wrong!

The second query is the same as the first query. Only the positions of the tables in INNER JOIN has changed (shouldn't be changed anything)

If i create e. g. an additional index on table Attribute query 3 (identical to query…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. SSMS 18.3 editor navigation issue

In SSMS 18.3.1, basic cursor navigation using Ctrl-right arrow (to move by words) appears broken in specific circumstances.
    If you attempt to navigate using Ctrl-right arrow through the following query...

SELECT 'D__' AS Str

...the cursor gets stuck after the D.
    If you remove the D and try again, the cursor will oscillate over the opening quote!

There must be at least two underscores in the string for this behaviour to be exhibited.
    It wasn't there in SSMS 17.9.1.

Please try this out to confirm I'm not going mad!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Develop a mechanism/query to list columns which are conifugred with CLE Column Level Encryption

We are planning to offer Column Level Encryption - CLE starting with SQL2016 and 2017 versions and as a part of compliance audit process we need to produce an evidence once we configure CLE on a column but unfortunately there is no query which will tell us what columns are encrypted by using CLE and which Key is used.

it is very hard to find what are the columns configured CLE on a SQL Server , first we need to find out in which databases Symmetric/Asymmetric key is available and then find out which column has varbinary datatype and then…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. SSMS: Returning "Results to Text" takes much longer than "Results to Grid"

In at least versions 18.2 and 18.3 of SSMS, running the same query with "Results to Text" takes much longer than "Results to Grid". The query in question does not use any database tables other than a table variable and a temp table, both of which have less than 50 rows each. The table variable has a varchar(MAX) column. Some JSON operations are performed. "Maximum number of characters displayed in each column" is set to 2097152 for "Results to Text". However, column output is limited to a couple thousand characters at most.

Also, scrolling results in the "Results" tab causes…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base