SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Cannot script external table in SSMS 18.2

I receive the error message attached when trying to script an external table in SQL Azure in SSMS 18.2.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. SQL Server Generated Self Sign Certificate even though Force Protocol Encryption is set without Trust Server Certificate Client setting

In SQL Server 2017 we noticed when SSL cert is not updated in registry and Force Protocol Encryption is set to Yes without Trust Server Certificate Client setting then SQL server is automatically generating self sign certificate and allowing client connection as encrypted.

As per below SQL Docs,

Force Protocol Encryption client setting =Yes
    Trust Server Certificate client setting = No
    Result should be= Encryption occurs only if there is a verifiable server certificate, otherwise the connection attempt fails.

Actual Result what we noticed = Encryption always occurs, but may use a self-signed server certificate.

Reference SQL Doc: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/native-client/features/using-encryption-without-validation?view=sql-server-2017

Please…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. SSMS Extended Events UI Selects Actions on Hover

When selecting events in extended events session properties > events page the events are automatically selected when you hover your mouse over the row. I've attached a gif showing the behavior. I'm not clicking on anything in the gif, just moving my mouse.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Matteo Taveggia responded

Thanks for the reporting the issue.
    This was something that was accidentally changed in SSMS 18.x, most likely when the work on accessibility took place.

We’ll take a look at it and prioritize accordingly.

Thanks,
    -Matteo

4. Find and Replace - Copy paste bug in SSMS

Cut, copy and Paste by hotkey and context menu is not working within the search and replace field (in the dialog opened with Crtl+F).

Affected Current Version SSMS 18.0 and 18.2.
    In older version 17.4 it was possible without any problem to use the hotkeys in those fields.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. log file is absolutely blank while running a full load job. There is no history in view history

Log file is completely blank for a full load job. It works fine for incremental load job. Full load has been running for about 14hrs.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Icons disappearing

There is color glitch or something, my icons disappear, I have to hover over them to appear.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. SetSPN working incorrectly with SQL Server 2017?

Hi everybody,

I think I might have stumbled onto some unwanted behaviour:

Scenario:
    ServerA is a VM hosting MSSQL DB Services and is connected to Domain fq.dn
    Service_A is an AD Service Account with permissions to read ServicePrincipalName and write ServicePrincipalName to itself and is used as MSSQL DB Engine Service Account.
    As per company policy dynamic ports and port 1433 are not allowed, thus when installing a default instance (MSSQLSERVER) we change the port to 31433, enable NP, SM and TCP/IP as Protocols, for each available IP we have blank TCP Dynamic Ports and TCP Port 31433 set.
    We…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. I ALWAYS have database engine connectivity issues even when both the database (SQL2019CTP3.0-SSEI-eval) and SSMS (18.1) are on the same PC

I ALMOST ALWAYS have database engine connectivity issues even when both the database (SQL2019CTP3.0-SSEI-eval) and the SSMS (18.1) are installed on the same PC. I am relatively new to SQL Server and SQL in general but have been using both the above mentioned products for about 2 months now. I don't understand the inner workings of a database at all. I am JUST TYRING TO LEARN SQL PROGRAMMING, THAT'S ALL. But I am QUITE FRUSTRATED with the frequent Database Engine connectivity issues I face. If I miraculously get connected, I try not to disconnect voluntarily for several days at a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. SQL Server 2019 doesn't release memory

I was moving 250k+ rows (51 columns) from one table to another (same database). Database recovery model is Simple. When SQL Server finished moving, the memory consumption raised from initial ≈230MB to 4.5GB. But this is not main point. The main point is that these 4.5GB didn't go away - i.e. SQL Server didn't release memory! For instance, yesterday I was moving rows, too, and SQL Server filled up all my 16GB - and my computer just turned off. It also takes a lots of space (and also doesn't release memory) when I did simple selecting and deleting rows.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 18.2 Tabbing Bug Not Updating Query Window Text

If I have multiple query tabs open at a time, switching between tabs causes a lag in actual displaying the content of the new tab.

For example, if I have two tabs open with different queries on each tab. If I switch from one tab to another, the content doesn't appear to change in the query window, but if I highlight the text, then it'll change. This has been happening since the 18.0 GA release and I was hoping subsequent updates would fix it, but they have not. I have attached three files.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. SSMS v18.0 Generate Scripts Dependency Issue

SQL Server Management Studio version 18.0 Generate Scripts Dependency issue. The definition of 'dependent' seems to change depending on the selection made within Advanced options when generating scripts.

If you select 'Script CREATE' under 'Script DROP and CREATE' it will generate a script for which the view is dependent on (the underlying tables and other views).

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Right click on a database from the server select Tasks / Generate Scripts ...
    2. Select 'Next' on the 'Generate scripts for Database Objects' screen if it appears to choose objects to script.
    3. 'Select specific database objects' and select…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. SSMS Data Model Designer (17.9, 18.1, 18.2) crashes SSMS

Hi there,

I am designing a data model using SSMS. I've used all 3 versions mentioned above, and for reasons unknown to me, they all crash upon opening an existing model. I corrected the issue once by starting a new data model and deleting the old model, but that's very inconvenient, and loses any notations I made on the original diagram.

The data model designer was also crashing in 17.9 and 18.1 after removing an existing table and trying to add an existing table.

I've also noticed that I cannot re-add a renamed table without exiting SSMS and re-opening it.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. STConvexHull did not return correct convex hull

I was trying to generate a convex hull polygon using the multipoint data in the attached file, but a non-convex hull polygon is returned.

Happened on SQL Server 2016 Enterprise (64-bit) version 13.0.4001.0

Probably the same issue as : https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server/suggestions/37955569-bug-stconvexhull-does-not-produce-correct-convex

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. SSMS 18.2 default language display bug

Hi, SSMS 18.2 displays the default language for all logins as Arabic, and my default language is us_english.

I'm using language 1033 so this shouldn't display as Arabic. I tried with a few servers - all the same. This is across all versions of the database engine from 2008, 2012, 2014, 2017 etc.

querying sys.server_principals shows this isn't actually the case so this seems to be display bug in SSMS 18.2

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  Matteo Taveggia responded

Thanks for the reporting the issue.
    This was something that was accidentally changed in SSMS 18.2. It only affects what you see in the UI (still wrong, of course.. and we shall fix it).

16. SSMS 18.2 crash on Extended Events properties form

Opening a "New session…." (not the wizard) of extended events (or a previously existing one) and browsing the pages (Events, Data Storage, Advanced) hangs the windows and/or directly crashes/terminates SSMS with no error message, specially on the Events page.

Application logs shows the crash as an unhandled exception:

Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Event ID: 1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level: Error
    Description:
    Faulting application name: Ssms.exe, version: 2019.150.18142.0, time stamp: 0x5d3573be
    Faulting module name: System.Windows.Forms.ni.dll, version: 4.8.3752.0, time stamp: 0x5c7a2429
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00c412df
    Faulting process id: 0x24a4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d5433d9e072f9d
    Faulting application path: C:\Program…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Custom colors create errors in Azure SQL

Posting this again because your team didn't bother to read the detail properly of the previous post and just said they didn't have a problem applying a custom color - this is not the issue.
    The error does not prevent using custom colors - the error is CAUSED by the use of custom colors when connecting to an Azure SQL instance using SSMS. I am seeing one error flowing through our event hub for every connection that uses a custom color, and this is very simple to reproduce.
    This is the event from our hub:
    <batch_information><failure_reason>Err 208, Level 16, Server…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Issues with SQL subquery in SQL Server 2012

Issues with SQL subquery in SQL Server 2012

I tried with this query,

SELECT * FROM STUDENT WHERE STUDENT_ID IN (SELECT STUDENT_ID FROM OFFICE)

in my scenario, I do not have STUDENT_ID column in OFFICE Table. But still it just shows all the records from student table.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. CREATE CREDENTIAL against Managed Instance prompted Azure Login

This just happened to me today in 17.9.1 of SSMS, but I was trying to create credential to an Azure storage account in order perform a restore, and I was prompted for an Azure login.

I then installed SSMS 18.1 SxS and sucessfully created the credential, and after talking with Vicky about this, I then tried to repro, and could not. Reporting per Vicky just to be aware of this behavior.

Thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. EVENTDATA() returns dbo as schema for CLR alter procedure

I've found that the schema name returned by EVENTDATA() within a DDL trigger will always show as "dbo" (instead of the actual schema name) for an alter procedure event (only) on a CLR procedure (only).

This was first posted here:
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/d4b5eb27-8d2e-4b5c-a8b5-5252efaca294

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base