SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SSMS 18.5 Replication Monitor Opens Only One Publisher

Our sysadmin approved a WSUS push of SSMS 18.5 last week. I believe I had been running 17.92. My normal morning routine starts with launching SSMS and starting Replication Monitor (RM).

When I did that RM connected to only one server, the one I was connected to when I started it. I have over 30 publishers scattered all over the world. It now takes better than 15 minutes to do what used to be done automatically in under 2 minutes.

All the publishers have the "Connect automatically when Replication Monitor starts" option selected.

I have tried removing several publishers and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. the database diagram

the database diagram option does not work, it does not allow creating table diagrams in the latest version

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Wrong Error Message when using Table Variables instead of local #Temp table

I found this today when I was updating some scheduled queries...

I have an "select * from OPENQUERY" command that gets data from an Oracle database. The select statement, by itself, works 100% of the time. There are about 24000 records returned.

The external database was recently changed. One of the fields went from 3 characters to 5 characters, and I was not aware of the change.

The OPENQUERY currently inserts into a table variable. When I tried to insert into it, I get this message:

"Transaction (Process ID 59) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. SSMS: script index should include data_compression setting

As of SSMS v18.5, scripting an index or table does not include datacompression settings. If an end-user attempts to script out a table replica for a SWITCH operation, the SWITCH attempt will fail because the replica table does not have the same datacompression setting.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. sysprocesses "LOG POOL MEMORY NOTIFICATION"

There appears to be an issue with "LOG POOL MEMORY NOTIFICATION" exceeding the cmd column. Witnessed on SQL Server 2019 build 15.0.4013.40 using SSMS 15.0.18330.0.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Cannot Reconnect a Disconnected Window in SSMS 18.5.1

After restarting SSMS 18.5.1 I can open new query windows, then connect OK. After a time, I open a new window or open a file and the window starts up in a disconnected state. No matter what I do, I can't reconnect it. The only way to do it is to restart SSMS. Really frustrating when you have windows open you want to keep. Has been happeing for the last 4 months or so, since 18.x. and I have been updating regularly

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Imrove Update process

SQL Server Management Studio 15.0.18330.0
    SQL Server Management Objects (SMO) 16.100.37971.0
    Microsoft Analysis Services-Clienttools 15.0.19040.0
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 10.0.19041.1
    Microsoft MSXML 3.0 6.0
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.30319.42000
    Betriebssystem 10.0.19041

As you can see this is get from a fresh installed Ssms German.

But i get every tome a message than an update is available.
    so i click on uodate and i reach the downlaod page of ssms 18.5 and then i download, the version that i have installed in my case german.
    A start of the update program lets me repair ir delete ssms, i tied both ways…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. bad plan for like queries on varchar columns with nvarchar patterns

Given tables constructed like so

CREATE TABLE [Table] (
    TableId BIGINT NOT NULL,
    StringId VARCHAR(400) NOT NULL,
    Data1 NVARCHAR(400) NOT NULL, -- ...
    PRIMARY KEY (TableId)
    );
    CREATE INDEX TableIndex ON ([Table].StringId);
    CREATE INDEX TableIndex ON ([Table].Data1);

SQL queries of this form should be able to index scan a very narrow range but don't.

SELECT * FROM [Table] WHERE StringId like @0 + N'%';

In the production code, the SQL statement is generated and could have referred to any column in the table. I now have to write some really stupid code in the generator to deal with this. It's…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Object reference not set to an instance of an object when I import a flat file

The scenario is like this, I exported the data in CSV Format from the AzureStorage explorer, then imported in my local database.
    Note: The Azure storage explorer did not export anything in the file, I supose because of this it happened, but still I would expect some other error message something like: "Invalid input file: file empty" than such an exception
    I got the following exception:
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object when I import a flat file:
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Prose.Import.BcpProcess.set_UseSimpleDataType(Boolean value)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Import.Wizard.PreviewPageController.OnActivate()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.TaskForms.SqlWizardPageController.OnFirstActivate()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.TaskForms.SqlWizardPageController.Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.TaskForms.ISqlWizardPageController.SetActive()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.TaskForms.ControllerPage.OnSetActive()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlWizardFramework.WizardFramework.ActivatePage(NavigationItem item, NavigationDirection direction)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlWizardFramework.WizardFramework.ActivatePage(Page…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. SQL Server 2019 (and earlier) gets into a deadlock situation if you use MARS with images

I have tested this problem with SQL Server 15.0.2070.41 and ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server version 2017.175.02.01. I have also tested with multiple other combinations of SQL Server and ODBC interfaces to SQL Server.

The problem only occurs If you enable MARS support via SQLSetConnectAttr(SQLCOPTSSMARSENABLED, SQLMARSENABLED_YES).

Given a table like:
    CREATE TABLE TestTable(

id int NOT NULL,

info char(10),
    picture varbinary(max)

)

You can use image instead of varbinary(max) and get the same problem.

Prepare the select statement:
    SELECT id, info, picture FROM TestTable

bind id and info to appropriate fields and execute…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. баг звука

баг звука игры + telegram, team speak и тд
    Нужно каждый раз выключать и включать обратно.
    виндовс 10 версии 1909

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. SSMS 18.5.1 does not import .dtsx with PowerQuery specified connections

SSMS 18.5.1 does not import .dtsx with PowerQuery specified connections.

The dtsx package contains a Power Query item; it runs perfectly within Visual Studio but I cannot deploy it to SSISDB from vs2019 (16.6.3) or import it into the SSIDB (SQL server 14.0.2027.2) Project using SSMS 18.5.1

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. DBCC CHECKDB/CHECKTABLE bug with EXTENDED_LOGICAL_CHECKS

Intermittently CHECKDB/CHECKTABLE will return either the error when using EXTENDEDLOGICALCHECKS

Msg 8907, Sev 16, State 1, Line 1 : The spatial index, XML index or indexed view '<redacted view name>' (object ID 541756223) contains rows that were not produced by the view definition. This does not necessarily represent an integrity issue with the data in this database.

or

Msg 8908, Sev 16, State 1, Line 1 : The spatial index, XML index or indexed view 'redacted view name' (object ID 557756280) does not contain all rows that the view definition produces. This does not necessarily represent an integrity…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. SQL Server 2019 scalar functions fail incorrectly if they have a CHECKSUM

Scalar functions with CHECKSUM(*) fail on compatibility level 150, SQL Server 2019 build 15.0.4043.16.

ALTER DATABASE CURRENT SET COMPATIBILITY_LEVEL = 140;
    GO

CREATE OR ALTER FUNCTION dbo.Test()
    RETURNS INT AS
    BEGIN

DECLARE @i BIGINT;

SELECT TOP 1 @i = CHECKSUM(*)
    FROM master.dbo.spt_values;
    RETURN 1;

END
    GO
    SELECT dbo.Test(); / Works fine /

ALTER DATABASE CURRENT SET COMPATIBILITY_LEVEL = 150;
    GO

SELECT dbo.Test();

/* Gets error:

Msg 1789, Level 16, State 1, Procedure Test, Line 6 [Batch Start Line 17]
    Cannot use CHECKSUM(*) in a computed column, constraint, default definition, or INSERT statement.

*/

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Azure SQL Database Deployment task using DACPAC fails if deploying full-text catalog/index with /p:IncludeTransactionalScripts=False

When using the "Azure SQL Database Deployment" task and deploying a DACPAC file that contains a full-text-index, and the deployment uses the /p:IncludeTransactionalScripts=True parameter, the deployment fails. I assume with this parameter the full-text catalog/index is created after everything else, which would explain the error. This SO question/answer mentions the same: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48204621/deploy-a-dacpac-that-contains-a-fulltext-index-with-msdeploy

The error I get is:

Error SQL72014: .Net SqlClient Data Provider: Msg 7601, Level 16, State 2, Procedure <name of stored procedure>, Line 8 Cannot use a CONTAINS or FREETEXT predicate on table or indexed view '<name of table>' because it is not full-text indexed.
    Error SQL72045: Script…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Sql Server management studio An internal error occurred. (mscorlib)

When ever I try to open a query or select rows from a table i face the error below.

An internal error occurred. Please contact Microsoft Support. (mscorlib)

Program Location:

at Microsoft.Assumes.Fail(String message, Boolean showAssert)
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.Common.GetComponentModelOnUIThread(IServiceProvider serviceProvider)
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.TextDocData.SetSite(Object pUnkSite)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ShellTextBuffer.SetSite(Object serviceProvider)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ShellTextEditorControl.CreateAndInitTextBuffer(Object sp)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.ScriptEditorControl.Initialize(Object sp)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.ScriptAndResultsEditorControl.Initialize(Object sp)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.SqlScriptEditorControl.Initialize(Object sp, String moniker)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.SqlScriptEditorControl.CreateInstance(Object serviceProvider, Boolean withEncoding, String moniker)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.EditorFactorySql.CreateEditorInstance(IServiceProvider serviceProvider, Boolean storeActiveConnIfNeeded, String moniker)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.EditorFactoryBase.Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsEditorFactory.CreateEditorInstance(UInt32 createFlags, String moniker, String physicalView, IVsHierarchy hierarchy, UInt32 itemId, IntPtr existingDocData, IntPtr& docViewIntPtr, IntPtr& docDataIntPtr, String& caption, Guid& cmdUIGuid, Int32& result)
    at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo) …

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Internal error "An unexpected error occurred (file ‘xmvsquert.cpp’ line 14408, function XMVSAliasVector::Bind "

We are facing severe issues querying a tabular model under RLS

Scenario:
    • On-prem SSAS 2017 CU20
    • Tabular model compatibility 1400
    • Pure star schema
    • RLS expressions to filter 5 dimension table
    • No RLS directly defined against fact tables
    • RLS uses a security table to lookup if the current user has access to a given row sing CONTAINS

Issue:
    • Unexpected error randomly appears querying the model
    • The error is “An unexpected error occurred (file ‘xmvsquert.cpp’ line 14408, function XMVSAliasVector::Bind ”
    • The error appears while querying fact table even with simple COUNTROWS(<table>) if the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Make it work

SQL Server. It might be a good idea - to make it work. Currently; when installed - you can't connect. FW disabled; still cannot make a connection. Now .. why not; when I install SQL server; you know "SERVER" ... make the connection WORK. It is VERY annoying to have to research the error numbers; to find the 20 options that might fix YOUR problem - that I have to live with, and fix EVERY TIME I install SQL. Yes, this is a 'bug'; it doesn't work; and I have to disable (safety) features to get it working, as I'm…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base