SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SQL Server 2019 CTP 3.2 doesn't allow you to add Python after the initial install.

Re-run the setup from the media folder, choose to add a feature to an existing instance, pick your instance, and then it acts like you're adding a new instance about 80% of the time, or otherwise looks like it's proceeding and then the installer just disappears.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. MakePreviousWritesDurable error

Restoring AdventureWorks in Linux docker issue, possibly due to named volumes?

See https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/sql-docs/issues/2606

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. ssms v18

SSMS v18.1 freezes when trying to drag a table name from the ObjectExplorer to the Query Design Window.

The error message 'An exception has been encountered. This may be caused by an extension. You can get more information by examing the file C:\.... \AppEnv\15.0\ActivityLog.xml

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. SSIS Fuzzy Lookup should respect the RetainSameConnection property

Currently the SSIS Fuzzy Lookup component does not use Connection pooling. When profiling the SQL Server while an SSIS with a Fuzzy Lookup is running a lot of Audit Login/Logout are captured where all have the EventSubClass "1 - Nonpooled".

Due to this I am having problems while processing large row counts in parallel (using multiple Fuzzy Lookup Tasks with a Balanced Data Distributor). The resulting error message is "Login timeout expired"

The Fuzzy Lookup Component should respect the RetainSameConnection property which in turn should improve the performance significantly.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. SSMS custom zoom shows error message when zoomed beyond 250%

When zooming an execution plan beyond 250% using Ctrl+scrollwheel, then right-clicking and selecting "Custom Zoom", you get an error message:

"Value '312,5' is not valid from 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'Minimum' and 'Maximum'.
    Parameter name: Value (System.Window.Forms)"

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Unable to login to mssql-server instance on Ubuntu after update

I updated my server today with all pending update and after reboot I was unable to connect to SQL server. Prior to reboot I've also enabled the firewall but now it's disabled again and server is after another reboot.

I'm unable to login locally to server no matter what I try:

Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server : Login timeout expired.
    Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server : TCP Provider: Error code 0x2749.
    Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server : A network-related or instance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Column description limited to 128 characters

Steps to reproduce it:

- Open Visual Studio

- Under start, click "New Project..."

- Select SQL Server Database Project from the SQL Server template

- Give it a name, for example "DescriptionTest" and click OK

- Right-click on the created project in the solution explorer and select "Add" -> "Table...".

- Click on "Add" to create a table called "Table1".

- If the column "Description" does not show up, right click in the table definition screen and enable "Description"

- Click in the "Description" column for the column "Id" and type some text of more than 128. It should…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. SQL Server Profiler TextData Column handles Decimal Inputs Incorrectly

Reproduction:
    1. Open SQL Server Profiler with the RPC:Completed event included but with the TextData field unchecked.
    2. Run the below C# Code:

using (var cmd = new SqlCommand("[foo]", cn))
    {
    cmd.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure;
    cn.Open();
    cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@param1", 0.02M);
    cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@param2", 0.020M);
    cmd.ExecuteNonQuery();
    }

Output in Profiler:
    exec [foo] @param1=2,@param2=20

Expected Output in Profiler:
    exec [foo] @param1=0.02,@param2=0.020

Alternatively, the textdata column could be blank. But it should not be flat-out wrong.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Just updated to V18.2 of SSMS. Trigger enable disable missing in right click menu

SSMS is missing the trigger enable disable on the right click menu. Very important to development.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. SSMS Application Restart when Import Flat File Splash Screen is Disabled...

Howdy...

When the Import Flat File splash screen is disabled, and the current user is not assigned a default schema (e.g. db access is via Windows AD Groups), when you attempt to use the Import Flat File SSMS crashes and restarts. If the Import Flat File Splash Screen is enabled, you get a proper error message dialog box and no application crash.

More info:

https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/sql-docs/issues/2687

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Cannot select multiple table objects (press Shift or Ctrl) in object explorer in SSMS 18.2

I just downloaded the SSMS 18.2 and I found I could not select multiple table objects or columns (my Shift or Ctrl key works fine on my computer) in the object explorer. Not even mention that I could not drag and drop multiple objects from object explorer to the query window.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Error pressing the New Query button in SSMS 18.2 unable to create interface

When clicking new query in ssms 18.2 I get the following error

I have reinstalled SSMS 18.2 with no effect.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Issue with scripting in Management Studio v18.2 not refresh content of tab when change

We have three o more tabs for scripting queries and not refresh its content when change between them

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Sql server 2017 EXPRESS provedor OLEDB

falla provedor Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.16..O constantemente. reacciona despues de un tiempo prolongado o nunca se ejecuta el query.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Improve SSMS startup speed/time

Since SQL Server 2008, SSMS is taking longer and longer to start up. Often times taking 30-60 seconds before you get the login window, even on very fast hardware. The 10-20 seconds before the splash screen comes up is annoying and makes for misclicks (did I click that? I'll click it again to be safe) resulting in multiple instances of SSMS running. I miss the days of 2008 when opening SSMS is near instantaneous.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. SSRS

Whenever report builder opens a report up the sizing of the screen is off, the app will take over the task bar and spill over on both sides of the screen.

My resolution is set to recommended on both display (1920x1080)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. collate

When using a database with the collate: Danish_Norwegian_CI_AS, the following code produces faulty output.

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS #TEST;CREATE TABLE #TEST (Example VARCHAR(50));
    INSERT INTO #TEST
    VALUES ('CAAB'), ('CAB'), ('CAA');

SELECT * FROM #TEST
    SELECT * FROM #TEST WHERE Example LIKE 'CA%'

The last SELECT here returns only the row with CAB, not the two others. This may be related to the fact that AA in danish is typically written Å, but does not occur with either AE (Æ) or OE (Ø).

The problem can be circumvented by specifying the collate in the where-clause, but will for most people be…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Error on export database

Error: contains a statement that is not supported on Microsoft Azure SQL Database v12. The specific error is: Incorrect syntax near Url

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. URGENT: "Feature Restrictions" actually increases chances of SQL Injection and must be removed immediately (before RTM)

The new "Feature Restrictions" feature that was introduced in CTP 3.2 of SQL Server 2019 is highly problematic. It is an ill-conceived feature that does _not_ prevent SQL Injection in any way. It doesn't mask user error messages (only system errors), and it prevents WAITFOR but not a WHILE loop that accomplishes the same delay. So this feature is absolutely useless.

Actually, it's worse than that because people will assume that this feature actually does prevent these things, which will give them a false sense of security.

This feature is not fixable and needs to be removed entirely. This needs…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. ******' sucks a big one.

You know what it is.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)