SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Right-click on Object Explorer takes ages to display context menu.

Host a big SQL Database in a EC2 instance on AWS. When I say big, I am saying 15TB ish.

Connect through your computer and open the object explorer.
    Let's say you have 100+ tables, 100+ procedures and so on.

Expand a table, expand triggers and then right-click in a trigger to display the context menu where you can modify, refresh, get a script and so on.

The context menu takes minutes and sometimes crash SSMS 18.2.

In small databases it does not happen. I will move to VSCode to test.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. SSMS Find and Replace "Look In" values change without user input

RE. Find and Replace "Look In" drop-down:
    Desired behaviors:
    * Default to "Current Document"
    * Retain selected option until dialog is closed & reopened -- do not change "Look In" without user input.

Current behaviors:
    In both SSMS 17.9.1 (14.0.17289.0) and 18.2 (15.0.18142.0), the Find and Replace dialog defaults "Look in:" to "All Open Documents". I would suggest the default should be "Current Document" (which I believe was the default in older versions)
    Much more dangerously, even after changing the default to another option, "Look In" reverts to "All Open Documents", which can cause unintended, undesirable, & unknown changes to…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Error 9003 Log Scan is Invalid Error When Restoring Transaction Log After Applying SP2

We are using SQL 2016 Enterprise Edition and have recently applied SP2 + CU8. We were previously on SP1 + CU6. Since the update we are getting the following error when restoring transaction logs on our DR server. The transaction logs were taken on the secondary server of an AlwaysOn Availability Group.

The log scan number (20913:512:1) passed to log scan in database '' is not valid. This error may indicate data corruption or that the log file (.ldf) does not match the data file (.mdf). If this error occurred during replication, re-create the publication. Otherwise, restore from backup if…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. SQL Server 2017 on Ubuntu Linux - Agent History size - unable to configure

Hello,

Steps from this document:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssms/agent/resize-the-job-history-log?view=sql-server-2017

Do not work on SQL Server 2017 on Linux and result in error below:

USE [msdb]
    GO
    EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_set_sqlagent_properties @email_save_in_sent_folder=1,
    @databasemail_profile=N''
    GO
    USE [msdb]
    GO
    EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_set_sqlagent_properties @jobhistory_max_rows=10000,
    @email_save_in_sent_folder=1,
    @databasemail_profile=N''

Msg 0, Level 11, State 0, Line 2
    A severe error occurred on the current command. The results, if any, should be discarded.
    Msg 0, Level 11, State 0, Line 7
    A severe error occurred on the current command. The results, if any, should be discarded.

SQL Server version:

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 (RTM-CU14) (KB4484710) - 14.0.3076.1 (X64) Mar 12 2019 19:29:19 Copyright (C)…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. TokenAndPermUserStore grows for each sp_setapprole or EXECUTE AS USER

sp_setapprole & sp_unsetapprole or EXECUTE AS & REVERT cause TokenAndPermUserStore to grow to 2GB and performance to degrade when run in a loop (simulating a connection pool that performs these when getting or returning a connection)

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldatabaseengine/thread/19e17e27-ee75-4e45-b8af-b53b5ceca93b

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. TokenAndPermUserStore grows for each sp_setapprole or EXECUTE AS USER

sp_setapprole & sp_unsetapprole or EXECUTE AS & REVERT cause TokenAndPermUserStore to grow to 2GB and performance to degrade when run in a loop (simulating a connection pool that performs these when getting or returning a connection)

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldatabaseengine/thread/19e17e27-ee75-4e45-b8af-b53b5ceca93b

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Please make SSMS 18+ to support high resolution screens

The table editor and diagrams look horrible. I have to manually expand each column so I can see its title.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. SSMS 18.2 Pressing Up Arrow key doesn't go to bottom of right-click menu

SSMS 18.2 Pressing Up Arrow key doesn't go to bottom of right-click menu

Right-click, Menu Key, and Shift + F10 in the Object Explorer will all open a menu, sometimes a very long menu.

In previous version of SSMS, pressing Up arrow went to the last menu item, same as in Explorer. Also, the Up arrow key could loop through the menu. This no longer works; Up and Down arrows both go to the first menu item. Down arrow key will loop from bottom to top of the menu, but Up arrow key will not loop from top to bottom.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. SQL server is crashed when trying to open the database diagram from remote

SQL server is crashed when trying to open the database diagram from remote

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Full text index under Linux broken (SQL Server 2019 rc 1)

This is a simple test case. It runs successfully under SQL Server 2016/Windows. A full text catalog called test must be created previously

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    drop table test_ft;
    go

CREATE TABLE [test_ft](
    id int NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [PK_test_ft] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED,
    name varchar(400) NOT NULL,
    )
    GO

--drop fulltext index on test_ft

create fulltext index on test_ft(name language 1033) key index PK_test_ft on test;
    go

insert into test_ft (id, name) values (1, 'simple test case')
    go

-- Shows the added row under SQL Server 2016. Nothing under SQL Server 2019 RC1/Linux
    select * from test_ft where contains(name, 'simple')

-- show show…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. ssis 'all executions' report intolerant of system locale

I'm trying to test an SSIS package on my developer PC (using SSIS for SQL Server 2016).

Last night when I right-clicked on my Integration Services Catalog SSISDB entry and chose Reports > All Executions, the result I got back said

'Failed to convert parameter value from String to a DateTime --> String was not recognized as a valid DateTime.'

This morning, I tried changing the date-and-time layout to English (US), and now I get a highly formatted page with a table with multiple rows, and useful error messages about why my SSIS package is failing.

My PC: apparently installed…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. SSMS 18.1 - Export Data-tier application - Error "contains a statement that is not supported on Microsoft Azure SQL Database v12."

In SSMS 18.1 the export of our database to a bacpac fails with the error:

"Error SQL46010: Procedure: [dbo].[SP_Report_GetMemberData] contains a statement that is not supported on Microsoft Azure SQL Database v12. The specific error is: Incorrect syntax near concat."

I narrowed it down to our use of OPENJSON, in particular in this fragment of the SP:

"OUTER APPLY
    OPENJSON(wtd.Config, concat('$.elements', '.', AllElements.[key], '.values'))"

It seems the export does not like that we're using a variable as the path parameter to OPENJSON.
    But that is supported as of SQL Server 2017 (our DB compatibility level is 140 and the SP…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Full text search host restarts repeatedly under Linux (SQL Server 2019 rc 1)

Under Linux, after enabling full text search in a table and during the population of the index, one sees frequent messages in the log

Error '0x80004005' occurred during full-text index population for table or indexed view 'mytable' (table or indexed view ID '629173587', database ID '5'), full-text key value '5567999'. Attempt will be made to reindex it.

In the errorlog there are many repeated messages like
    The fulltext filter daemon host (FDHost) process has stopped abnormally. This can occur if an incorrectly configured or malfunctioning linguistic component, such as a wordbreaker, stemmer or filter has caused an irrecoverable error during…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Check constraints kills SELECT query performance

Imaging you have a large Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R3 database with tables where PARTITION and DATAAREAID columns are added automatically into all non-clustered indexes.

You want to improve performance of queries using the fact that there is only one Partition and DataAreaId in the system and introduce CHECK constraints for all tables.

Despite the assumptions that CHECK constraint won't hurt performance of SELECT queries, the performance might fall up to x1000 times.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Check constraints kills SELECT query performance

Imaging you have a large Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R3 database with tables where PARTITION and DATAAREAID columns are added automatically into all non-clustered indexes.

You want to improve performance of queries using the fact that there is only one Partition and DataAreaId in the system and introduce CHECK constraints for all tables.

Despite the assumptions that CHECK constraint won't hurt performance of SELECT queries, the performance might be dropped 10-20 times.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. SSMS version 18.1 freezes or crashes when I connect to an RDP session

SSMS version 18.1 freezes when I connect to a computer that it is running on via an RDP session. It usually takes two to 10 minutes for the UI to become responsive.

Also, if I lose the RDP connection two or three times and I re-connect, SSMS would usually crash after the second or third re-connection attempt.

I am using Red-Gate SQL Prompt add-in.

This is altogether a frustrating experience as I use SSMS for over 8 hours every day.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Toolbar layout resets after restarting SSMS 18.2

Customized toolbar layout reset to default after restarting SSMS 18.2. Specifically, the SQL Editor and Standard toolbar.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Unable to import module on powershell core 6.2.2 on linux

When trying to import the SqlServer module on Linux I receive an error (see attached screenshot)

I think I found the issue in this line $assessmentFormatFile = Join-Path -Path $PSModuleRoot -ChildPath "Microsoft.SqlServer.Assessment.Format.ps1xml"
    in the SqlServer.psm1 file.
    The actual file name is Microsoft.SqlServer.Assessment.format.ps1xml
    the F in the format is lowercase

when changing the filename to match the code the import completes successfully.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)