SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. arithmetic overflow while in the Tasks Summary Report

arithmetic overflow while in the Tasks Summary Report.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Feb 1 2006 4:28PM=-=>

Hi Brian,
    Thank you for your feedback. Would it be possible for your to send the dump for this crash? Please attach to this feedback/bug.
    Thanks,
    Ramesh Singh

<=-=May 2 2006 3:00PM=-=>

The repro steps provided do not repro the issue on SQL Server 2005 SP1. Could you please provide additional repro steps or configuration settings if this is still an issue for you in SP1?

<=-=May 30 2006 12:04AM=-=>

This bug is not reproducable on Sql server 2005-RTM and Sql server 2005-SP1. Could you please provide additional repro steps or configuration settings if this is still an issue for you in SP1?

2. Activity Monitor doesn't display any process detail if command over 512 characters

The Activity Monitor in SQL Server Management Studio shows no information on
    long batches if run on SQL 2005.

This appears to be a bug in the Activity
    Monitor since it uses nvarchar(512) to gather the dbcc inputbuffer instead of
    nvarchar(4000). The output from dbcc inputbuffer is noted correctly in the
    SQL 2005 BOL from December. I've included the command used by Activity
    Monitor to illustrate the problem.

Command used by Activity Monitor:
    create table #tmpDBCCinputbuffer ([Event Type] nvarchar(512), [Parameters]
    int, [Event Info] nvarchar(512))
    insert into #tmpDBCCinputbuffer exec ('DBCC INPUTBUFFER(154)')
    select [Event Info] from #tmpDBCCinputbuffer

If I run this in…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Feb 2 2006 11:40PM=-=>

Hi SQLGuru,
    Thank you for your feedback. We will address this in a future release.
    Thanks,
    Ramesh Singh

<=-=Oct 5 2007 11:09AM=-=>

We could repro this in house. We are planning to address this in next relaease.

Thanks for your feedback.

Gops Dwarak

3. Occasionally when Performing an "ONLINE" rebuild of indexes on a table the rebuild will block itself and require a SQL restart to

I've performed many (>100) ONLINE rebuilds of indexes successfully. When attempting the "online rebuild" of all of the indexes on on particular table it would not complete. I eventually had to restart SQL to clear the problem.

I used the "Activity Monitor" of the Management Studio and noticed 2 suspended processes. Both had the same SPID and were obviously 2 threads working on rebuilding the same INDEX. Both had large "wait Time" and both were waiting for exclusive access (Wait Type) for the exact same resource. In the middle of the problem I forgot to record the exact Wait Type…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Feb 1 2006 10:20AM=-=>

I will attempt to reproduce your issue in-house. However, if you can, it would speed up the resolution process if you could give me more information about the state of the server when you experience this hang. Can you get me the complete results of “sys.dm_os_waiting_tasks” and “sys.dm_exec_requests” when this occurs?

<=-=Feb 2 2006 8:33PM=-=>

Unfortuneately I was only able to get this to occur one time and I restarted SQL before I collected that type of information. Since it appears to happen so infrequetly (I’ve had 100+ successfuly index rebuilds and only one failure like this) I have the feeling it may be a luck thing to reproduce this. I’ll be certain to collect more info if this occurs again.

<=-=Feb 2 2006 11:17PM=-=>

WOW… I was able to duplicate the problem! Happend again this evening. The table has 5,748,521 records. Attached…

4. Query parsing error

Running a report (in preview) results in RS thinking that the question mark/s in strings (I tried this with only a single, double and triple question marks) are un-named parms and throws an error telling me to use named parms, even with driver/providers that shouldn't do this.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Reporting service subtotal is not Calculated properly.

Sub total function in Matrix is not providing Total of data field.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jan 31 2006 4:28PM=-=>

Can you check if the expression in the matrix cell contains an aggregate function (e.g. Sum, Avg)? If not, the subtotal will not display the correct values. If the problem still exists after adding the aggregate function, please send us a repro for this (.rdl and .rdl.data files).

6. fn_my_permissions may not return the correct result on a case-sensitive server

sphelptext on fnmy_permissions reveals code like:

IF (@class = &#39;object&#39;)

BEGIN
    DECLARE @objId int
    DECLARE @thisPerm sysname

This yields different results depending on you enter 'object' or 'OBJECT' for the second parameter. (Books Online suggests uppercase.)

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Feb 2 2006 2:04PM=-=>

Thank you for reporting this issue. We will fix this in the next release

<=-=Feb 2 2006 2:28PM=-=>

Thank you for reporting this issue. We will fix it in the next release

<=-=Feb 4 2006 3:43PM=-=>

Won’t fix? A simple case of add a “SELECT class = lower(class]” on the input parameter. Are you serious?

<=-=Feb 8 2006 12:12PM=-=>

I meant it won’t be fixed in SQL 2005 but will be fixed in the next release.

<=-=Feb 11 2006 2:13PM=-=>

Since the engine people apparently can’t muster the energy to fix this bug, I retarget the bug as a Documentation issue. The topic for fn_my_permissions needs to say that ‘object’ etc must be lowercase.

<=-=Mar 11 2008 11:02AM=-=>

This issue should be resolved in SP2.

<=-=Mar 11 2008 2:05PM=-=>

SP2? I guess you mean SQL 2008 CTP6? SQL 2005 SP2 has the…

7. Error Using Linked Dimensions

The query could not be processed: o The Messages element at line , column (namespace urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-analysis:exception) cannot appear under Envelope/Body/ExecuteResponse/return/SubCube

I am trying to use a linked dimension, the dimension I am trying to display returns the above error when browsing the cube. It appears that some aggregates are stored in hierarchies but the key to the dimension just returns error. The cube builds find and I can browse by another dimension in the cube.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Feb 2 2006 6:12PM=-=>

Hi Michael,

Thanks for reporting this issue – we’ll investigate.

Regards,
    Richard Tkachuk (richtk@microsoft.com)

<=-=Mar 21 2006 3:17PM=-=>

Hi, Michael, I have been unable to reproduce the issue. Can you please provide the AS project and SQL data source, and specify which dimension and key you were using so that I can reproduce the issue in-house? Thanks!

8. Severe performance degradation accessing AS2K cubes with ANONYMOUS USER and Yukon OLAP provider

When our product, ProClarity 6.1, accesses AS2K cubes using ANONYMOUS USER access and the Yukon OLAP provider, creating a connection takes approximately 15 minutes. If I use the AS2K OLAP provider instead, connection takes less than 5 seconds. During the establishment of the connection, our product identifies a collection of unique member names that it can use as query scoped members in an MDX query. To do this we construct a potention member unique name. We then perform a MDSCHEMA_MEMBERS lookup with a restriction set to our potential name. The purpose of the lookup is to confirm that the member…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jan 27 2006 4:44PM=-=>

Please try including “ConnectTo=8.0” in the connection string, and let us know if it fixes the problem?
    Thank you

<=-=Feb 10 2006 4:58PM=-=>

I tried setting ConnectTo=8.0 The setting had no effect. A connection still required 15 plus minutes.

<=-=Apr 24 2006 2:36PM=-=>

“Dear gbraach, We have been unable to repro this issue. Could you please provide additional information or repro steps?”

<=-=May 1 2006 4:41PM=-=>

I reproduced this problem using SQL2K5 SP1

<=-=May 18 2006 5:24PM=-=>

Thank you for reporting this issue. Our investigation shows that there is no difference in the schema retrieval time (Proclarity connection) between Yukon provider and Shiloh provider connecting to AS 2000. This means, we are not able to repro the following: “If I use the AS2K OLAP provider instead, connection takes less than 5 seconds”. The reason of the performance degradation might be in the way Proclarity…

9. SSIS Packages that are checked into SourceSafe can still be edited, but the changes do not take

Sometimes packages are able to be edited without checking them out. It would allow the edit but then would not save the changes. You had to manually check out the package, edit it, and then check it in for the changes to take.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Feb 13 2006 1:40PM=-=>

I could not reproduce this behavior. With default VS settings for VSS (auto check out on Save and Edit) the file is checked out whenever a change is made, and modified locally. You then need to check in the change to VSS.

Could provide more information that would help to reproduce this bug: e.g. specific way to edit the package that would not cause it to be checked out?

10. Too many default permissions for the guest account in the master/msdb databases

When you create a SQL login with just access to a user database (say AdventureWorks), with the default permissions, the login is able to run many command like:

SELECT * FROM master.sys.objects
    exec spconfigure
    use master
    exec sp
    help

etc. There is no reason why a user with minimal permissions on the system should be able to run a command like sp_configure or select all objects from the catalogs.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Jan 18 2006 2:28PM=-=>

We are looking into if we can limit those accesses.

<=-=Oct 31 2007 11:35AM=-=>

After some investigation, we will not be considering this DCR. Although PUBLIC is able to perform the actions that you’ve mentioned, please keep the following in mind:

1. Most of the procs do permission checks internally. So even though public has execute permission, when they execute procs they get Access Denied errors.
    2. Even though public has select permission on Catalog Views, we have Catalog security that displays only the objects on which the user has permissions.

Thank you and we appreciate your input

11. ExecuteSQL task and parameters exhibits strange behaviour

Parameters do not work as they maybe should or at least the behaviour is not documented

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Feb 2 2006 2:12PM=-=>

Although the bug repros with the current settings of the task, I resolved not repro since I did not know how else to resolve it! If you the user would set the BypassPrepare property to true, the task will work. The problem is with preparing statements with ?’s in them. And I believe this is documented. I will work with UE in case this is not documented.

<=-=Feb 23 2006 11:32AM=-=>

Your feedback is appreciated. When using ‘?’ placeholders, “BypassPrepare” property of the task should be set to “True”. The task described in the attachment works if “BypassPrepare” property is set to “True”. Documentation team has been communicated of this behavior.

12. Trailing SET ANSI_PADDING OFF when scripting tables

This is a followup to FDBK24918 which very nicely have been fixed, thank you!

Unfortunately, there was one case I failed to include in that repro. If the table has a varchar column the scripter includes a SET ANSIPADDING ON/OFF before and always a SET ANSIPADDING OFF after the table. The las t SET command should not be there.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 7

<=-=Sep 25 2005 2:28AM=-=>

Hi Erland — thanks for taking the time to report this issue. I have given this issue SP1 as the target fix release, as I believe this is not going to cause major issues, as all objects should preceded with the correct scripting options. The trailing options should not cause scripting failure. Let me know if you have additional feedback.

<=-=Oct 26 2005 3:32PM=-=>

Hi Erland,
    We were unable to reproduce the “SET ANSI_PADDING OFF” at the end of the script. Could you please provide a code snippet on how you script the table?

Thanks,
    Artur Laksberg
    SQL Server Team

<=-=Oct 29 2005 3:06PM=-=>

Code snippet? Right-click table in Object Explorer and select “Script to”→New Query Window".

I just tried this on RTM, and the ANSI_PADDING OFF i still there.

<=-=Nov 13 2007 12:49AM=-=>

Hi,

This issue has been fixed and…

13. Script out SQL Login

Microsoft Management Studio throws an error when you proceed to script out the creation of a sql login with database access to one or more databases.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Method calls on instances returned by recursive calls to UDF

It appears that calling the methods of an XML instance returned by an UDF that returns XML generates an unexpected and fatal deadlock

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 8 2005 5:44PM=-=>

Kent,

Thank you for your report.

I’m wondering if you might be able to give me some more information about the circumstances in which you encountered the deadlock/error. The report states that you were calling XML methods against the result of an UDF that’s called recursively. The bug report references an attached script; however, I don’t see any script attached to the bug. If you still have the repro script, could you send me a copy? If not, could you help me with some insight into the repro that would assist me in writing a new one?

What type of UDF? T-SQL UDF or CLR UDF?
    Was it a T-SQL UDF that called itself, or were you using a recursive common table expression (CTE)?
    Was it typed XML?
    Were any tables involved and did you use any…

15. SP_ADDUSER adds a user and a schema but SP_DROPUSER drops only the user

The stored procedure SPADDUSER() adds a user and a schema but the stored procedure SPDROPUSER() drops only the user.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. XQuery function local-name()

I have a mail from Paul Flessner who said "SQL Server 2005 April CTP is feature complete".
    but I receive an error message when I try to excute the query below.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 29 2005 1:09PM=-=>

Dear Mak, adding general functions that return atomic values to XQuery at this stage is unfortunately too late. Secondly, I am not quite sure what the semantics of your query should express, given that string values inside a predicate do not make much sense. If you wanted a list of all local names in your document, try one of the following two expressions today:

select Col1.query(‘for $e in //* return local-name($e)’) FROM mytable

or

select N.r.value(‘local-name(.)’, ‘nvarchar(50)’)
    from mytable cross apply Col1.nodes(‘//*’) N®

I will however count this as a design change request for the next version and will consider this valuable feedback for future versions.

Thanks
    Michael

<=-=Apr 29 2005 1:34PM=-=>

Dear Mak, adding general functions that return atomic values to XQuery at this stage is unfortunately too late. Secondly, I am not quite sure what the semantics of your query should express,…

1 2 272 273 274 276 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base