SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Japanese: Report Builder ????????????????

Report Builder ??????????????????????
    ??????????????????????????

??????????????
    ?????????????????????????????????????

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Sep 27 2006 4:24PM=-=>

Although I was not able to fully translate all of your text, from your attachment it looks like all of your issues have been resolved in the upcoming SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2. You should be able to verify the fixes in a preview build that will be available soon.

2. conversion from int to TIMESTAMP is unsupported

Get com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The conversion from int to TIMESTAMP is unsupported error when using the new driver.

When will this be introduced?

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Aug 8 2006 11:24AM=-=>

Hi,

Could you provide the call stack from the exception message and possibly more details on the code you are executing and the schema you are using for your table? TIMESTAMP columns are not updatable, and that has not changed since SQL Server 2000 (both server and JDBC driver). Also, I assume you’re talking about the TIMESTAMP SQL type (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms182776.aspx), not the DATETIME SQL type, nor the java.sql.Timestamp JDBC type.

Thanks for your feedback,
    —David Olix
    JDBC Development

3. Syntax Error when Viewing Job History

Tried to view the job history of a failed Job by selecting View Job History from Job Properties of Maintenance Plan. Note that the name of the maintenance plan is Axiom Maintenance Plan.

System throws a syntax error - as detailed below -

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Aug 16 2006 11:11AM=-=>

Thanks for reprotig this but when we tried in our labs we could not repro it. Below were the repro steps that were used
    1. Created maintenance plan with agent job task that will fail always
    2. The name of the plan created was “Axiom Maintenance Plan”
    3. Execute the plan
    4. Go to the job of the plan and click properties and in the general tab select “View history” link

The history of the failed job is shown successfully.

Please update bug with detailed repro steps to help us repro this bug

Thanks,
    Gops Dwarak

4. Update Statistics holding exclusive lock and blocking

We are experiencing a non-deterministic (ND) problem. It is happening regularly, but not consistently. We run a suite of tests for performance evaluation. Some of the tests insert data into empty tables, and later these tables are read. Each time we are able to reproduce the hang, it is because one of the connections is shown as holding an X lock as described below on one of the tables. The process holding the lock will always be shown as sleeping by the SQL Server Activity Monitor. At the point that the hang occurs, we will only be using a single…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Aug 1 2006 1:42PM=-=>

Note: We do not issue a commit after a read-only operation, because we do not expect to be holding any locks, but that we do return the connection to the connection pool. Does the UPDATE STATISTICS operation occur in the same transaction, and thus could be holding a lock unless we are running in autocommit mode or do an explicit commit? Or does it occur on a separate, server-initiated thread?

Correction to environment. We are running on Windows XP (Professional SP2. I think).

<=-=Aug 1 2006 2:19PM=-=>

Note: We do not issue a commit after a read-only operation, because we do not expect to be holding any locks, but that we do return the connection to the connection pool. Does the UPDATE STATISTICS operation occur in the same transaction, and thus could be holding a lock unless we are running in autocommit mode or…

5. ssmsee bug when creating/editing View that finds maximum column in a row

I found this code on the web to find the maximum column in a row using UNION ALL and the Case statement. SSMSEE corrupts the syntax when trying to create a View from the query. The query editor is fine, but SSMSEE tries to add in a bunch of "From" clauses to the UNION ALLs when a View is being created or edited:
    (from sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/simons/archive/2006/05/08/476.aspx)

select salesOrderId,(select max(dateValue)

from   (select orderDate as dateValue

union all
    select dueDate
    union all
    select shipDate
    union all
    select modifiedDate) as dates) as MaxDateValue,
    orderdate, dueDate,shipDate, modifiedDate

from sales.SalesOrderHeader

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Nov 13 2007 8:11AM=-=>

Hi brucekraz,

thanks for reporting this issue with view creation. We will investigate and update this space accordingly.

Regards
    Vinod

<=-=Sep 13 2012 2:15PM=-=>

The syntax in the reported bug is invalid, however, the syntax in the web page referenced works fine in SSMS 2012. Also, we can create a view with this syntax & we see no errors. We’re closing this bug as not reproducible.

6. SSIS package fails validation if there are too many source/destinations adapters in a single Data Flow

If I generate a SSIS package with Import Data wizard getting more than 400 tables from an Access database and writing to an existing SQL Server database with the same structure, the resulting package fails validation during execution.
    If I create many differente SSIS packages with the same wizard, each one with a maximum of around 30 tables, every package work and I'm able to move data for all tables.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 31 2006 1:58PM=-=>

Thank you for using SQL Server 2005.
    Can you please provide the text of the validation message you recieve.
    Thank you

<=-=Aug 2 2006 4:26AM=-=>

This is the extract of the error I get in log file.
    Please note that field name and/or type are not significative, changing selected tables it changes.
    Only reducing the number of table chosen the error disappears.

Progress: 2006-08-02 13:24:06.36
    Source: Data Flow Task
    Prepare for Execute: 100% complete
    End Progress
    Error: 2006-08-02 13:24:07.61
    Code: 0xC0202009
    Source: TestValidation Connection manager “SourceConnectionOLEDB”
    Description: An OLE DB error has occurred. Error code: 0×80004005.
    An OLE DB record is available. Source: “Microsoft JET Database Engine” Hresult: 0×80004005 Description: “Unspecified error”.
    End Error
    Error: 2006-08-02 13:24:07.61
    Code: 0xC020801C
    Source: Data Flow Task Source 64 – CausaleTrasportoPerFunzione 7717
    Description: The AcquireConnection method call to the connection manager “SourceConnectionOLEDB” failed with error code 0xC0202009.
    End…

7. CONVERT from string to datetime does not always work for ISO8601 format

When trying to convert datetime's fetched from XML we get errors.
    It seems SQL server does not like too much digits after the decimal point for the seconds.
    I have a lot of XML code with datetimes in it created from:

XmlConvert.ToString(DateTime.UtcNow,XmlDateTimeSerializationMode.Utc)

This function seems to generate dateTimes as follows:
    "2006-07-29T15:56:33.6946834Z"
    and SQL server does not like this.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Sep 27 2006 6:44PM=-=>

Hi
    We are considering improvements to date & time in a future release of SQL Server that will address your feedback.

Thanks,

- Christian Kleinerman

<=-=May 3 2013 4:47AM=-=>

why can’t I vote for this topic anymore? what’s the status?

8. Database Specific Counters have disapeared

It appears that the Database Performance Counters have dissapeared. As this is a production system I can't restart the services. This SQL Server is hosed on a two node active passive cluster.

I've attached a screen shot from Performance Monitor. I can send any log files that are needed, just let me know what to send.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Aug 15 2006 4:04PM=-=>

Are the database counters visible in sys.dm_os_performance_counters? If the DMV returns 0 rows then there should be an error message in SQL Server error log (close to the top) explaining why the counters were disabled.

<=-=Aug 16 2006 12:37PM=-=>

Yes the database counters are visible. I have 959 total records in sys.dm_os_performance_counters and 368 counters where object_name = ‘SQLServer:Databases’. I can send you the ERRORLOG if you would find it usefull.

<=-=Sep 27 2006 2:05PM=-=>

Hi,

We could not reproduce this issue. This is most likely due to corruption of performance counter registry entries. If you can attach the error log, that would be useful.

Thank you,
    Tomer Verona
    SQL Server Development

<=-=Sep 27 2006 3:35PM=-=>

All the ERRORLOG files that I still have on the server (12 total) have been uploaded as requested.

I’m assuming that it’s probably a one off issue, but…

9. Msg 8624 (Internal Query Processor Error) from a PIVOT query

The PIVOT query in the repro below raises error 8624. The crucial detail seems to be the duplicated column "ShipVia AS ShipViaCopy." The motivation for wanting this is to allow the pivot results to be pivoted a second time to show additional columns for a different aggregate.

There is a workaround - specify the copy using an expression:

ShipVia+0 AS ShipViaCopy

Nonetheless, Error 8624 should not occur.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. SQL DB connection maintained even when OLAP database using it is deleted.

SSAS seems to be keeping the connection to the SQL Server database referenced in a data source around (in a connection pool, perhaps), even though the OLAP database that used it has been deleted. Then, if a new SQL database and OLAP database are created with the same name on the same server and the cubes are processed, SSAS is attempting to reuse that old connection. Since the connection was killed, it gets the error:

Errors in the high-level relational engine. The following exception occurred while the managed IDbCommand interface was being used: A transport-level error has occurred when sending…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. performance drop over 20x if using ado.net compared with sql management studio

I have 2 apps doing the same job, one is older and using adodb to query sql
    server 2005, another is using ado.net. Something has happened and now app
    using ado.net execution time of some stored procedures has increased about
    ~20 times from <1s to 20s in comparison with older app or SQL
    Management Studio. I've found that commenting/uncommenting out a simple ORDER BY PaymentDate, changes execution time back to normal/slow. This sp queries data from 2 tables, in one table PaymentDate cannot be null, in the other it can, the problem is
    then it must get data…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 23 2007 2:50PM=-=>

Gercas,

I am unable to reproduce this in my environment. Do you have data that I can use to reproduce this? I attempted to set this up but am unable to set up the entire thing without your schema and data.

Thanks,

Carl Perry
    Program Manager ADO.NET
    Microsoft

<=-=Sep 21 2010 1:14AM=-=>

Hi,

We had the same problem, try to add an ‘with recompile’ inside the stored procedure that i called by the application using the ADO.NET, it worked for us.

Victor

12. Cannot reference variables with same name but diffirent namespaces in script component

It is impossible to reference 2 variables that have the same name but a different namespace in the script component. The variables collection doesn't differentiate between them.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 10 2007 10:56AM=-=>

Thank for using SQL Server Integration Services.
    Apologies for the delay. We are working on the general scripting environment and should address this issue in a future release.

<=-=May 10 2007 11:20AM=-=>

Does “future release” mean katmai or katmai+

??

<=-=Feb 11 2008 6:40AM=-=>

Apologies for the delay.
    The scope is for Katmai, SQL 2008.

<=-=Oct 14 2009 11:00PM=-=>

Pardon?
    Katmai SHIPPED well over a year ago and it didn’t get addressed. So, what is the timeline now?

13. Package failing when moving over Custom data types because rule does not exist

An SSIS package I've written is failing because when the Transfer SQL Server Object Task runs it is trying to bind a data type to a rule, but the rule does not yet exist. I have IncludeDependentObjects enabled.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Sep 14 2006 9:28AM=-=>

Hello,

thank you for reproting this problem. We are investigating the issue and work on a resolution.

Regards,
    Ovidiu Burlacu

<=-=Jan 30 2007 3:31PM=-=>

Thank you, we are unable to repro the problem while using SQL 2005 SP1 or the soon to come SP2. It seems you were testing with the original SQL 2005. I apoligize for the delay and perhaps you have now instlaled SP1 and no longer see the issue? We are going to resolve and close this as not reproducable but you can certainly re-open if you reproduce the issue in SP1 or SP2. Thank you.

14. clicking on stored procedures in object explorer makes management studio hang

When you click on the stored procedures folder in the object explorer management studio hangs.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 19 2006 7:56AM=-=>

Hi Gerald,
    Thank you for submitting feedback regarding the behavior you are experiancing. I was not able to reproduce this problem and it’s a very common scenario. Can you describe a little more about your client system and the server you are connecting to? Do you happen to have the Summary page up and running? Can you run a profiler trace to see what T-SQL was sent to the server when you experianced the hang. What other software was running on your system at the time that could have been consuming resources.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Jul 20 2006 8:10AM=-=>

Hi Gerald,
    We have not been able to reproduce this problem against any internal or released version of SQL Server 2005. We are resolving this bug rerport. If you can provide more details around the problem, please reactivate the bug with more information…

15. Unable to connect to Reporting Services from Management Console

Cannot connect to <SERVERNAME> (name provided by error message)

Additional information:

Client found response content type of &#39;text/html; charset=utf-8&#39;, but expected &#39;text/xml&#39;.

The request failed with the error message:

. . .

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 19 2006 1:43PM=-=>

You need to access your report server virtual directory in a browser, preferrably locally. This will tell you what the actual error is. Usually they are pretty descriptive as to what needs to be done to fix them.

<=-=Aug 7 2006 5:30PM=-=>

Usually this can be solved by using a browser to navigate to the Report Server virtual directory. The error page should give you and idea of the problem.

If you see an ASP.Net 1.1 error and you’re actually running SQL Server 2005, try using the aspnet_regiis.exe -iru command to register ASP.NET 2.0 script maps on the reporting services virutal directories. You can also try using the Apply Default Settings checkbox on the virtual directory pages in the reporting services configuration manager.

16. Reporting Services Row Height Error on Export To Excel

A report was created using VS.NET 2k5 with 2 sections to the report. The 1st section comprises of a rectangle, with 4 tables, one at each corner of the rectangle. The 2nd section uses a grouped list with embedded table. The problem is occuring in the 1st section.

The tables in section one duplicate each other in that all they display is a parent name for a collection of stats (in the header), the collection of stats that are children to that parent (in a group), a description of the stat and a traffic light to signify it's performance (in…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 18 2006 4:32PM=-=>

We can’t reproduce the problem here. Can you please attach the RDL and the .rdl.data file?

<=-=Jul 20 2006 1:41AM=-=>

All attached. Take the most recent rdl.data as i’m not sure the first one uploaded correctly (I was using Firefox).

<=-=Aug 22 2006 8:36AM=-=>

The status on this now says that the resolution is “Other”. Can you provide more details as to whether this has been fixed or not?

Thanks.

<=-=Nov 3 2007 11:26PM=-=>

Unfortunately, it didn’t look like the report definition ever got attached to this bug. Could you try out with the SQL Server 2008 July CTP? The Excel rendering extension has had some extensive changes.

<=-=Dec 2 2009 8:27AM=-=>

I just came across the same issue and was lucky enough to have a co-worker who had seen this issue so I thought I’d post the solution. Excel can’t seem to…

17. The job failed. The owner of job does not have server access.

We are using 2005, clean install on new server running Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard. We have an active directory group, SQLDBA, with our DBA domain logins. This group is a user in the DBMS. The scheduled jobs run under SQLAdmin, which is a service account we set up when we installed SQL Server 2005.

Using windows authentication, I log on to the server and to SQL Server. Months ago, I created several maintenance plans with the Maintenance Plan Wizard that are scheduled to run nightly. My domain login is the owner, which is a member of the SQLDBA group.…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 4

<=-=Jul 12 2006 12:22PM=-=>

I just reproduced the problem on a third server, configured the same, but I applied SP1. The service pack does not address this error.

<=-=Jul 21 2006 3:00AM=-=>

Hi,
    I experience exactly the same problem with an SQL2000 SP4 installation on a Windows Server 2003
    Jobs are schedule under a domain account.
    After each computer reboot all jobs fail with exactly the same error message.
    Changing job owner to sa and then back to the domain account let the jobs run again until next reboot.

<=-=Aug 11 2006 1:28AM=-=>

We could not repro it in our labs with the below repro steps.
    1. SQL Agent service account is running as NT Non-Admin on the box(Treid with NT Admin as well)
    2. Created group DBA on machine M1 and added account x to this group
    3. This group is granted sysadmin privilege on SQL Server.…

18. generate script to create database, running script has errors

User description contained Unicode characters - description text was copied to a Notepad file and attached to the feedback in the Microsoft database.

NEW September 26, 2006 - uploaded step-by-step screen captures

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 5

<=-=Sep 26 2006 6:34AM=-=>

Hi JohnPaulCook,

Thank you for your feedback. Please let us know the repro steps in little more detail and we shall look into the problem.

Thanks

<=-=Sep 27 2006 2:14PM=-=>

Thank you for taking the time to report your issue with the scripting component of SQL Server 2005 Management Studio. The issue does not occur in a recent build of SQL Server 2005 SP-2 that is currently in the beta testing phase.

Best Regards,

Keith Wilson
    SQL Server Tools Test Team

19. XML/A script bug cause duplicated ID in the metadata

Using an XML/A Script command I can generate a duplicated ID (specially a permissionID) which corrupt the database metadata.
    After I can create this duplicated ID, I can't no longer edit my cube, dimension or security component because there is a duplicated ID, so the server cannot deserialize the metadata.

> TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
    > ------------------------------
    >
    > Property accessor 'Description' on object
    > 'Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Dimension' threw the following
    > exception:'Deserialization failed: Another 'DimensionPermission' object
    > has the 'DimensionPermission' ID.' (System)
    > ------------------------------
    > ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
    >
    > Deserialization failed: Another 'DimensionPermission' object has the
    > 'DimensionPermission' ID.…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. IE 7 Beta 3 hangs when opening SQL Server Reporting Services Report

After deploying a blank report to Reporting Services and opening it with IE 7 Beta 3, IE hangs and sometime peaks up to 100 Percent processor time. The symbol in the tab flicker and IE is unresponsive. This problem can easily be reproduced by building a simple and empty (I tried that with one textbox)

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 19

<=-=Jul 26 2006 6:08AM=-=>

There is another problem. When I tell it to temporarily allow popups, and go back to do whatever I need, it still blocks the popup, expecially if it is an important popup.

Thanks.

<=-=Aug 4 2006 6:19PM=-=>

Why am i receiving a run time error when i try to access my portfolio. using MSN Money?It does not happen going through MSN Explorer.

<=-=Sep 28 2006 8:47AM=-=>

This was a known issue that has since been fixed by the IE team. The release candidate for IE7 no longer exhibits this behavior.

<=-=Aug 14 2009 11:41AM=-=>

Thank you for yoru feedback. This issue that you have reported has been fixed in the latest build of SQL Server 2008 R2 (in CTP3) and Visual Studio 2010 (in Beta2).

Thank you.

Stella Chan
    SQL Server Reporting Services

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base