SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SSMS: After the scripting typo "GO;", what has happened?

When the batch separator GO is followed immediately by a semicolon, the error "Incorrect syntax near 'go'" is issued. This is appropriate.

If a space precedes the semicolon after GO a different error appears: "A fatal scripting error occurred"

In neither case is the batch before or after the GO; or GO ; executed, but later batches in the script are executed when the typo is GO;, but not when the typo is GO ;.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 1

<=-=May 19 2008 8:57AM=-=>

Steve,

Thank you for reporting this issue. Based on the intial investigation, it seems to be a batch parser issue in Query Editor since Yukon. I will redirect it to dev team that maintains the component for further investigate.

Regards,
    Eric Kang
    Program Manager, Microsoft SQL Server

<=-=Jul 1 2011 9:24AM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback. After careful consideration of this issue, the impact on users,2 the vote count on the connect item, and other priorities, we determined that we will not be fixing this bug. Therefore, we are closing the work item.

If you feel this decision is in error, please feel free to reactivate the bug & update it with your reasoning.

Thanks,

Microsoft.

2. "GO [count]" recognized as incorrect syntax by Management Studio's Query Editor

The "count" argument to the batch seperator keyword "GO" is underlined with a red squiggly line in SMSS's query editor. Hovering over the line gives the warning
    Incorrect syntax near '10'.

The command executes properly though.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 14 2008 9:13AM=-=>

mjswart,

Thank you for reporting this issue. The product team recognizes it as a defect. Since the priority of issue does not meet the release bar, we will address it in the next release cycle.

Regards,
    Eric Kang

<=-=Jul 1 2011 9:29AM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback. AFter careful consideration of the impact of this bug & other priorities, we decided that we will not be fixing this issue.

If you feel that this decision is in error, please feel free to reactivate the bug & include some comments explaining why you feel this is important.

Thanks,

Microsoft Corp.

3. SSMS : still unhandled exceptions when connection is disrupted

I am still coming across occasional unhandled exceptions when using SSMS. Most recently, I received one when my VPN was disconnected and I was trying to refresh a column list from a view.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 8 2008 5:17PM=-=>

Thanks for reporting this issue. The defect has been fixed for RTM.

A background thread was checking policy health periodically and we were getting an exception when the connection failed. Because this was on a background thread, the exception wasn’t being handled by our normal UI exception handling infrastructure. This has been fixed by handling the exceptions properly and dealing with server connectivity failures as an “expected exception” that is caught and ignored by the policy health checking method.

Thanks,
    Steve Twitchell

4. MSFT - EDW: MERGE is colored blue inside the comment block

If MERGE is on the line by itself (no other characters, not even spaces) inside the comment block, it will have blue color.

Confirmed to repro on latest tools builds by Eric Kang.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. 0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 7

<=-=May 13 2008 5:30AM=-=>

Hi John Paul Cook,

Thank you for reporting the problem. When trying to reproduce the error on a recent build of SQL Server 2008, I get a message which says ‘The name “newsequentialid” is not permitted in this context. Valid expressions are constants, constant expressions, and (in some contexts) variables. Column names are not permitted.’ Are you seeing a similar error ?

Thanks,
    Karthik

<=-=May 13 2008 9:14AM=-=>

No, that’s not what I get. That message occurs when you enter newsequentialid instead of newsequentialid(). When you enter newsequentialid() and move (leave focus) out of the default value field, you see this:

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
    -————————————
    Error validating the default for column ‘junk’.

Do you want to cancel your changes ?

Yes No Help
    -————————————

Click No so that the changes are made. Then click the icon to save the changes…

6. '�' and 'ss' are NOT equal

Hi,

when setting SQL Server to standard latin collation (Latin1GeneralCI_AS), a NVARCHAR(x) UNIQUE column raises a Unique Constraint error, when adding these two rows to the table:

Ma�e
    Masse

This is not correct. Ma�e and Masse are two different words having different meanings. Especially after German spelling reform, '�' and 'ss' got even more separated. (Whereas 'SS' is currently still are replacement for '�' when capitalizing a word to upper-case, since '�' is only a lower-case letter.)

After discussing this online (http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.de.sqlserver/browse_thread/thread/c2f2b1dd36ab439b)
    I've been discussing this issue with DIN. They are currently discussing this issue internally…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 22

<=-=May 1 2008 8:13AM=-=>

Hi Axel,

Thankyou for this bug report. I’ve passed it over to the Developer Team to investigate; in particular, how much work it would take us to fix and/or provide an option to differentiate.

Please let us know how/when DIN decides on this issue, so we can adhere with their standard.

However, it’s unlikely this change will make it into the current release. The ‘bar’ for checking-in fixes is now very high, as we enter the ‘end-game’ for Katmai.

Thanks,

Jim

<=-=Aug 4 2008 3:45AM=-=>

Hi Jim,

sorry for taking me so long to reply..

The corresponding DIN group is discussing this issue now. I can provide you with the personal contact at DIN if you provide me with your e-mail address.

I’ve played my part in this game so far by getting DIN (ISO) aware of the problem and having a…

7. Incorrect number of rows returned by SET STATISTICS PROFILE ON for Compute Scalar operator

When using SET STATISTICS PROFILE ON, the Rows column for Compute Scalar operations is shown to be 0 instead of the correct value.

The graphical query plan team seems to know about this deficiency and bases the width of the arrows from a Compute Scalar plan on the estimated row count, instead of the actual row count.

The problem appears in SQL Server 2005 SP2 and in SQL Server 2008 Feb CTP, but not in SQL Server 2000 (which returns the correct row count for Compute Scalar steps).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Apr 30 2008 4:25PM=-=>

Dear customer,

Thank you for reporting this issue. You are right about the problem. In SQL Server 2005, we made changes to “compute scalar” operator. As a result, “computer scalar” operator does not have runtime information about actual rows any more. Please see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178082.aspx. That’s also why in the stats profile, you got 0 actual rows for “compute scalar”. We agree that this is confusing. We are working on this issue.

Thanks,
    Leo Huang
    SQL Server Relational Engine Team

<=-=Feb 1 2012 11:56AM=-=>

Hello,

Thank you for submitting this feedback, but given its priority relative to the many other items in our queue, it is unlikely that we will actually complete it. As such, we are closing this feedback as �won�t fix�. If you feel that this is worth reconsidering, feel free to respond to this message and we will take another look.

8. Poor error message with MERGE when source/target appear in impossible places

If I write a MERGE statement and refer to source in WHEN SOURCE NOT MATCHED
    or to the target in WHEN TARGET NOT MATCHED, I get an error message. It's a
    good thing in so far that it saves me from writing silly queries. Unfortunately,
    the error message is the generic 'The multi-part identifier "%S" could not be bound.',
    which is almost more confusing than helpful, as it makes me think that I have a
    spelling error rather than this specific error.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 26 2008 8:21PM=-=>

I think the error message is the correct one, By analogy, suppose you accidentally wrote

select o.OrderID
    from (
    select
    o.OrderID,
    d.Quantity
    from Orders as o
    join “Order Details” as d
    on o.OrderID = d.OrderID
    ) as ord

You get the same “multi-part identifier could not be bound” error. You would get this error if you wrote SELECT oops.OrderID, too.

Erland seems to be suggesting a different error message for o.OrderID, like “Cannot refer to a table name or alias outside a derived table where it is defined”. While that could be useful, the syntax checker shouldn’t have to consider whether or not the identifier that can’t be bound happened to contain an alias [o] that appears somewhere else in the same query.

The RTM syntax for MERGE will probably reduce this kind of confusion. The syntax for the two not-matched clauses will be

9. Deprecated BACKUP LOG options yield different messages

Trying to use deprecated BACKUP LOG functionality should yield similar error messages regardless of which option is used. Currently we get Msg 155 for WITH TRUNCATEONLY (or WITH FOO for that matter), and Msg 3032 for WITH NOLOG.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Jun 17 2008 10:29AM=-=>

The error messages do look inconsistent. I suspect that it’s caused by parser implementation details, but that should not concern you. We’ll take it as a fit-and-finish issue for a future release.

<=-=Oct 24 2008 11:06AM=-=>

The difference is caused by the layer in which each error is caught.
    It is inconsistent, however the ultimate behavior is correct.

10. Formatted_Value sometimes returns 'out of present range' message

I was playing around with using formatted value for formatting currency data, using the following article as a template:
    http://www.ssas-info.com/analysis-services-faq/27-mdx/244-how-change-currency-symbol-based-on-selected-currency-dimension-member

However I started getting some errors...

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=May 22 2008 11:06AM=-=>

Thanks for reporting this Crhis.
    Not sure though having dimension member name as part of the Format_string is such a good idea.
    Errors you are seeing result of not being able to apply incorrect formatting.

Edward Melomed

<=-=Feb 13 2012 1:41PM=-=>

I’ve tried doing something similar and found that the depending on the order in which the MDX script is evaluated, the tries to cosider the 3 letter currency to be part of the format definition. Hence any currency that includes letters that represent reserved formatting letter were cauing an issue. The solution to my issue was explicitly inject a \ before each of the 3 letters in the currency code

11. The database service which hosts the querylog of SSAS is restarted. SSAS keeps firing error in the errorlog

If the connection to the db that hosts the queryLog of SSAS is broken for some reasons (e.g. db service restart ), the connection is not restored after the connection problem is resolved. (the db service is up)
    hence, the queries are not logged any more. Besides, the event log is filled with error messages for each attempt to log the query.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Sub Report does not display columns in Page Layout format

I have a sub report that I want to display a thin column of data in a table and have it wrap 3 columns wide in a sub report. It looks great in Page Layout in the sub report when viewed alone. When the subreport is displayed in the main report it becomes one very long list of entries and does not wrap to columns in the defined space.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 24 2008 11:28AM=-=>

Hello,

This behavior is currently by design. Multi-column subreports are expected to lose their column settings when they are part of a main report. I have converted your bug into a feature request and I have marked it to be evaluated as we plan features for our next major release.

Thanks and best regards,
    Chris B.
    SQL Server Reporting Services

13. MSFT - Maddog: Can't do a distributed query into a table w/ XML columsn even if you're not referencing the XML column

If you have a table with an XML column in it, you can't do a distributed query against that table - even if you're not referencing the XML column in your distributed query.

SQL should be able to figure out that I'm not referencing the XML column, so just let me do my query already - instead of forcing me to create a seperate view on the server that contains all the same columns except the foolishly offensive XML column.

Our table looks somewhat like this:
    CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Run](

[RunID] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,

[Title] [varchar](120) NULL,
    [Notes] [text] NULL,
    0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 52

<=-=Apr 21 2008 2:27PM=-=>

Josh,

Thanks for the feedback. Since we are getting close to the end of the release we may consider this only for the next version of SQL Server. I will keep you posted.

Regards,

Joachim Hammer

Program Manager
    SQL Server

<=-=Oct 11 2012 7:24AM=-=>

This is still an issue in SQL Server 2012. So much for considering it for the next version.

<=-=Oct 2 2013 2:19AM=-=>

Just also ran into this, impressiv to see how far MSFT came in 5 years.

<=-=Oct 28 2013 1:46PM=-=>

This behavior is not documented in Books Online at all. I searched the 2012 Books Online and these two topics have no reference to “distributed” or “linked”:
    XML Data Type and Columns (SQL Server)
    xml (Transact-SQL)

<=-=Oct 28 2013 1:55PM=-=>

Here’s a suggestion:
    When I do certain DDL statements, I will get back warnings like “……

14. Intellisense "List Members" shows things that are not valid

When I type "Select * From a" the Intellisense List Members feature shows a bunch of items in the list that are not applicable here, like the ROLES whose names start with db_.

I think it's very rare that someone would want to type in "Select * From db_accessadmin", since this doesn't work anyway, so the Intellisense "List Members" feature should not show role names here.

There are a bunch of dm_ items that also shouldn't be shown.

There are also a bunch of fn items such as fndump_dblog.

Perhaps the categories that should be shown, should be customizable.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 21 2008 8:57AM=-=>

Thank you for reporting the issue. Customizable completion list is the feature that product team would consider as an feature enhancement in a next major release.

Regards,
    Eric Kang

<=-=Apr 21 2008 9:33AM=-=>

OK. It seems odd to show things in the completion list that would give a syntax error if they were selected by the user.

Thanks.

David Walker

<=-=Jun 27 2011 1:01PM=-=>

This no longer repros. It should be fixed in SQL 2011.

15. Query editor fails to change text color when pasted from (green) comment

Small point -- when I pasted a table name (taken from a comment line) into a select statement, the text was left in green as if a comment.
    (Alas, I fear that I cannot attach a screen shot, or paste the colored text here.)

select * from sys.dmexecsessions

(The table name, after the from, was left in the comment hilight color.)
    (I'm ashamed to admit I am so a.. retentive!)

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 6 2008 8:14AM=-=>

JimRussell,

Thank you for the feedback. We will investigate this issue.

Regards,
    Eric Kang

<=-=Jun 27 2011 12:58PM=-=>

this doesn’t repro. It should be fixed with the release of SQL 11.

16. Katmai Reporting Services 2008 Unable to add Group Header except on create

You are unable to add a group header or footer after you have created a group.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 26

<=-=Jul 16 2008 5:52PM=-=>

You are correct that we do not have explicit options to add a header or footer row to a group outside of the add group dialog. However, you can achieve the same result by right clicking on the group cell on the design surface and choosing to add a row or column inside the same group. For a row group, for example, adding a row above/inside the group is the same as adding a header row and below/inside the group is the same as adding a footer row.

<=-=Feb 9 2009 12:59PM=-=>

The wording and logic on this is completely different then SSRS 2005. If your table has no group footers at all, right click on the details and select Insert Row → Outside Group – Below and basically whatever the next group is will have a footer inserted into the report. Basically you…

17. MSFT - MSSales : Upgrade Advisor didnt flag warning that server with build (9.00.3033) wasnt flagged as not having SP2(9.00.3042)

As per read me in CTP6:
    SQL Server service pack level check � The February CTP will not upgrade if the version you are upgrading from is earlier than SQL Server 2000 SP4 or SQL Server 2005 SP2.

But Upgrade did not flag any error for server with build (9.00.3033).

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 29 2008 5:15PM=-=>

We will not be able to include this with our RTM release. Based on community feedback, we may put it into a post-RTM release.

Paul A. Mestemaker II
    Program Manager
    Microsoft SQL Server

<=-=May 4 2009 8:00PM=-=>

This issue is duplicate with the Connect Feedback (ID: 331909) which is at https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=331909&wa=wsignin1.0
    We close this one and follow up at another thread with ID 331909.

Regards,
    Mo Lin
    Program Manager
    Microsoft

18. Database Diagram does not work

When clicking the Database Diagram to see the diagrams of a database restored from a SQL 2000 database, I got error:

Database diagram support objects cannot be installed because this database does not have a valid owner.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 17 2008 12:38PM=-=>

Hi Bob,

Thank you for reporting the problem to us. This problem cannot be reproduced when Katmai SSMS tool is used to open the database diagrams created in SQL 2000. We suggest you download the latest CTP Katmai bits and test the same scenario using Katmai SSMS

If you still encounter the error, you can do the following:

- Change compat level to 90
    - Open a query window and issue the following T-SQL
    USE ;
    GO
    EXEC sp_changedbowner ‘sa’
    GO

Thanks
    Karthik

19. Thai Collation

People in Thailand use the Thai Buddha calendar format, which is 543 years ahead of the Gregorian calendar format. The year in the Thai Buddha calendar now is 2551. This, though handled in the operating system, is not handled in SQL Server 2005.

I had to fix this issue in Oracle as well, so I created a database with Thai collation and used the following commands to resolve it:

alter session set NLS_CALENDAR = &#39;Thai Buddha&#39;;

alter session set NLS_DATE_FORMAT = &#39;dd month EE yyyy&#39;;

I have tried searching for a similar setting in SQL Server, but have not been…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 15 2008 10:18PM=-=>

Hi,

Kindly look into this issue.

Regards,
    Guru

<=-=Apr 18 2008 6:29PM=-=>

Thanks for the great feedback.

Currently, SQL Server doesn’t support Thai Buddha calendar or other specific calendars for date/time types except for Gregorian calendar, and limited Hijri calendar.

However, we will look into it by giving further consideration in terms of the customer needs and business impact in the next release.

thanks

20. Shrink file via SSMS shows invalid file size

Shrink database file window shows invalid file size (I had the disk full - no idea if there's any connection).
    I had a huge tempdb which ate up all disk space (it was 3.5 GB and left 9 MB free space on the disk), so I decided to shrink it, and checked the GUI. It showed invalid value for tempdev, 8MB instead of 3735MB, so I couldn't shrink it to 1GB. I shrunk it with DBCC SHRINKFILE, after it, I saw correct figures in the GUI.
    Oh, and once I saw my favourite -0.01Mb file size for the templog.

Not…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 17 2008 3:09AM=-=>

Hi swhtng,

Thanks for reporting this issue. We will investigate and update accordingly.

Regards
    Vinod

<=-=Apr 11 2011 2:36AM=-=>

Hi Erik,

We are tracking this issue through another internal bug. We will let you know when the fix is available.

Thanks,
    Sravanthi Andhavarapu,
    SQL Server Manageability Team.

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base