SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Buffer Manager Cannot Get A Temporary Filename. The Call To GetTempFileName Failed.

Receive errors similar to the following:

Error: 0x80070050 at Import File, DTS.Pipeline: The file exists.

Error: 0xC0048019 at Import File, DTS.Pipeline: The buffer manager could not get a temporary file name. The call to GetTempFileName failed.

Error: 0xC0048013 at Import File, DTS.Pipeline: The buffer manager could not create a temporary file on the path "C:\Documents and Settings\michaelsh\Local Settings\Temp". The path will not be considered for temporary storage again.

Error: 0xC0047070 at Import File, DTS.Pipeline: The buffer manager cannot create a file to spool a long object on the directories named in the BLOBTempStoragePath property. Either an incorrect file name was…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Apr 2 2007 6:11PM=-=>

Dear Customer,

We have looked into this problem. A possible workaround is: go to the Property page of the DataFlow component, in the Misc group try increase DefaultBufferSize (the maximum value is 104857600) and increase DefaultBufferMaxRows to a larger integer. This will allow smaller number of temporary files to be created, and reduce the chance the temporary folder gets exhausted.
    This method does not guarantee to work around the problem but we are working on our best to fix your problem in our future release! Thank you for using SQL Integration Service and we appreciate your future support!

2. sp_reset_connection need to clear CONTEXT_INFO

spresetconnection does not clear CONTEXT_INFO

It is possible with connection pooling enabled to read the CONTEXT_INFO of a previous session. This is especially true when a web-server is making hundreds of connections of behalf of web-users.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 4

<=-=Aug 22 2006 12:44PM=-=>

Saying “won’t fix” without saying why doesn’t help. This is clearly a security bug that needs to be fixed.

<=-=Sep 26 2006 11:05AM=-=>

Hi
    Thanks for the feedback. We’re considering addressing this in an upcoming Service Pack of SQL 2005 and future releases of SQL Server.

- Christian Kleinerman

<=-=Oct 13 2006 5:17PM=-=>

Hi Jack!

Thank you for filing bug 126925
    (http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?Feedb
    ackID=126925).

I actually couldn’t repro it, so I’m having several questions.

1. What is exactly version number of your SQL Server?
    2. What client API of what version are you using to connect to it
    at the client?
    3. I need a clarification on your repro sequence (between /* Load
    the saved context info / and /But hope that the connection pooling gives you the same connection*/comments). Do you assume somewhere in the middle the connection is reset? Or you…

3. Filter List dialog in Report Builder doesn't work as advertised

Filter List dialog in Report Builder doesn't work as advertised

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Oct 6 2006 11:09AM=-=>

Hello — The behavior you are describing is controlled by the InstanceSelection and ValueSelection properties in the report model. In model designer, select the entity, and then in the properties pane, change the Instance Selection of the entity to one of the following values:FilteredList, Dropdown, List, or MandatoryFilter. Then, select the field within the entity, change the ValueSelection property of the field to one of the following values: None, dropdown, or list.

<=-=Oct 6 2006 12:04PM=-=>

Thanks for the comments. However, I don’t think they solve the problem. I am using those two properties, but I am never able to see Report Builder bring up the Filter List dialog and not pre-populate the Available data list. That’s what the help file says is supposed to happen. Can you walk me through how to make it do this? I’ve set the field to InstanceSelection=FilteredList and…

4. Fiscal Date Calculations can't be used in an MDX query in a report

Fiscal Date Calculations can't be used in an MDX query in a report.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. attributes marked invisible cannot be used in manually written MDX query

Sometimes you decide to hide a dimension attribute so that end users will not be able to see it when directly accessing the cube. You leave the AttributeHierarchyEnabled property true, but you change AttributeHierarchyVisible to false. But often, developers will still want to use this attribute in canned Reporting Services reports.

If you run an MDX query using this attribute in Mgmt Studio, it works fine. However, when you try to use this attribute in a manually written MDX query in Reporting Services, it fails to parse the query.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jan 21 2008 9:55AM=-=>

Thank you for reporting this issue. We have made the fix for this in SQL Server 2005, allowing you to cut/paste the MDX query into the custom query editor without errors. You can verify this fix in our Technical Preview located here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=3BF4C5CA-B905-4EBC-8901-1D4C1D1DA884&displaylang=en.

Analysis Services

<=-=Nov 5 2010 6:59AM=-=>

This is the issue we are hving. The link for the Technical Preview does not work. How can I verify if I have this fix?
    Thank you.

6. Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express raises errors on inline comments.

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express raises errors on inline comments on lines like:

CREATE PROCEDURE SampleStoredProcedure
    P1 int, -- Param 1
    P2 int -- Param 2

AS

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 27 2006 1:25PM=-=>

This code worked for me:

CREATE PROCEDURE SampleStoredProcedure
    @P1 int, — Param 1
    @P2 int — Param 2

AS

SELECT P1 = @P1, P2 = @P2
    go
    EXEC SampleStoredProcedure 47, 11
    go
    DROP PROCEDURE SampleStoredProcedure

Could you supplement the bug report with a complete repro that demonstrates the problem?

<=-=May 30 2006 2:44PM=-=>

Hi Andy,
    Thank you for your feedback. We are unable to reproduce this in build 09.00.2047 – the SSMSE RTM build that we shipped with SP1.
    Thanks,
    Ramesh Singh

7. Database Mail

I put the Database Mail Log entry in the "Actual Results" field.

People noticed they were not getting emails, so I used "sysmailhelpqueuesp" and it says the "state" is "NOTIFIED". I checked "sysmailunsentitems" and there are 34 unsent emails. I cannot figure out how to get database mail sending emails again.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 31 2006 1:08PM=-=>

Hi Thomas Griffin,

Thanks for your post . This looks like more like support issue and not bug.
    Investigation can get more info if it si a bug, but at this stage this looks more like support issue.

I am closing this bug because there is no repro steps associated with this issue. If you have consistent
    repro steps please feel free to reactivate this bug with repro steps attached.

Please feel free to contact PSS for helping you on this support issue

Thanks,
    Gops Dwarak

8. referenced relationship

I try to add dimension with referenced relationship. I defined everything like explaination in Books online, but when I try to save cube, I always get message:

"Cube 'Cube' cannot be saved because of the following errors:

Errors in the metadata manager. The 'Key' intermediate granularity attribute of the'IntDim'

measures group dimension does not have an attribute hierarchy enabled."

I enabled this attribute hierarchy for Key... but....

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Error when passing GUID Parameter: Failed to convert parameter value from a String to a Guid

I am using SSRS 2005 and my report dataset of type stored procedure has a parameter of type uniqueidentifier. When I try to run the dataset I get the error:
    "Failed to convert parameter value from a String to a Guid."

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 7

<=-=Nov 2 2007 1:54PM=-=>

We are tracking this as a task for SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services.

A workaround is to change command type to Text and use something like this:
    DECLARE @P1 UniqueIdentifier
    SET @P1 = convert (uniqueidentifier, @Param)
    exec sp_guid @P1

<=-=Feb 6 2008 9:54AM=-=>

A workaround is to change command type to Text and use something like this:
    DECLARE @P1 UniqueIdentifier
    SET @P1 = convert (uniqueidentifier, @Param)
    exec sp_guid @P1

Supporting this directly would require adding end-to-end support for GUIDs as report parameter type in RS, which we unfortunately won’t have time to add in the current release, but it is under consideration for the next release.

<=-=Feb 18 2010 8:44AM=-=>

I’m using SSRS2008. I have a report with a subreport. The main report is processing the subreport with an error. I’m trying to pass a formatted 36 char guid value as a parameter to…

10. Many-to-many dimension showing wrong numbers

We have a many to many dimension that is producing incrorrect numbers. It had gone unnoticed for a long time, till we created an equivalent relational report and it has now been highlighted. For a relatively small proportion of leaf level items, NULL is returned from MDX. At the higher aggregated level, the numbers are smaller in the cube than they should be (about 5 or 10%).

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 5

<=-=Aug 18 2006 2:48PM=-=>

We are investigating this issue and will get back to you. There are several common dimensions between the two measure groups, however all but one are reference dimensions. There is most likely some data discrepancy between the two measure groups w.r.t. the reference dimensions.

11. MDX - NON EMPTY clause combined with Crossjoin() function removing calculated members from axis when they actually resolve to a n

When the non-empty clause is added to an axis that has a dimension (other than the measures dimension) that has calculated members and is crossjoined with another dimension, the calculated members are excluded from the result set.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. SOS:Strange "Arithmetic Overflow Error" when do numeric dividing

when do reasonable divide operator for Decimal of Numeric, the error will occur:

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 18 2006 11:24AM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback, Jethro

I cannot validate the issue you are experiencing. Can you double-check your repro steps please? In addition, please provide us with the following information:

- Server version (output from SELECT @@version)
    - User options (output DBCC USEROPTIONS)

Thanks!

-Mat Henaire
    SQL Server Engine

<=-=Jun 5 2006 4:20PM=-=>

We couldn’t reproduce the problem. Please check the TSQL scripts as well as provide the version and set options that Mat mentioned below.

Thanks,
    Jun

13. Using "+" instead of aggregate

Results are inaccurate when using "+" to define calculated members inside cubes.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 19 2006 11:32AM=-=>

Dear customer: I couldn’t repro your problem by repeating the repro steps on a simple cube. Could you please provide the AS project or the AS database? You can send it to hfeng@microsoft.com. Thanks. Hanying Feng

<=-=May 1 2006 5:40PM=-=>

Dear Customer, I can not reproduce your problem by following the repro steps. Please provide more info. Thanks

14. BUG: Database Mirroring will not remove and leaves a database inoperable

I have a Database Mirroring - HA mode, that did an automatic failover. All instances are online and can be connected to. The Principal is showing a state of disconnectted. The same for the mirror. It absolutely refuses to do a role reversal even though the Witness is online and can see both. Issuing alter database set partner off runs on the mirror and the database can be recovered. The principal is absolute toast. It will not accept that command to remove mirroring and the entire thing is locked up.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Mar 27 2006 10:04AM=-=>

Busy means that the mirroring code is processing the prior command. Either waiting for your prior command to finish or restarting will clear it up without reloading your db.

<=-=May 25 2006 4:44PM=-=>

So, it looks like you are probably on RTM. There were a lot of small fixes in the mirroring code that went into SP1. There is not enough data in the bug to determine if it was a known issue that was fixed or a new one that we missed. Also there is not enough data in the bug to try to debug (these type of bugs are hard to track down) it any further.

<=-=Oct 6 2008 12:58PM=-=>

Having the same issue. I have sql server 2005 enterprise edition with sp2.
    The principal state was in a “SYNCRONIZING” for about 2 hours state (in a 2mb test…

15. varbinary(MAX) on linked tables

I am contractor doing programming work for the BC Government in Canada. We have started to move from Oracle to SQL 2005 in some of our newest applications. So, our SQL 2005 server software is pretty much new... no more than 2 months old.

We are migrating an application from Access 2003 to VB.Net... however that will occur in phases... on this phase we're making modifications on an access 2003 application so we can move its data to SQL 2005 SQL Server - the application will stay in Access 2003 for a short time though... Here's the problem...

We were…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 24 2006 10:14AM=-=>

We got a our new SQL 2005 Server (99% of our DBs are Oracle)…

We are migrating an application from Access 2003 to VB.Net… however that will occur in phases… on this phase we’re making modifications on an access 2003 application so we can move its data to SQL 2005 SQL Server – the application will stay in Access 2003 for a short time though… Here’s the problem…

We were initially saving image files (.bmp) using an ADODB.Stream into a linked table field (showing the field as of binary type (510 of size) although on SQL 2005 was an IMAGE data type), and that was just working fine…

However, after finding warnings in different articles of MSDN
    - e.g.: -———
    Important:
    The image data type will be removed in a future version of Microsoft SQL Server. Avoid using this data type…

16. SP1 CTP Cube Designer freezes when trying to access the Calculations, Perspectives and Tranlation Design Tabs

Clicking on these tabs results in the BIDS indicating it's loading the definitions you want to see for these tabs, but never returns.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 24 2006 11:40AM=-=>

Dave, in our initial attempts we were unable to repro this in house. We are going to continue investigating. To help us, could you please check the versions of these binaries: programFiles\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\ msmdgsrv.dll and programFiles\System\Ole DB\msmdlocal.dll.?

<=-=Mar 24 2006 12:44PM=-=>

We have been unable to reproduce this in house. Without such repro, I’m afraid we cannot investigate the issue any further. More information might help us, such as the version of the binaries mentioned before, how much RAM you have, a history of SQL installations on this machine, whether you made changes to the AdventureWorks DW sample, etc. Thank you for your help!

17. SQL Server Import Export Wizard: Could not set up data flow connections... not recognized as a valid connection manager type.

The following error is generated EVERY time I attempt to run the Import/Export (DTS) Wizard in SQL 2005.

One very note worthy detail...

I STARTED GETTING THIS ERROR ABOUT THE SAME TIME I INSTALLED IE7 BETA 2.

I had been running beta 1 and SQL DTS operations without any problems. It may be totally unrelated but you might want to look into it.

My problem also is similar to the one mentioned in kb article 913817. I ran the fix mentioned there but it only picked up 3 CLSIDs and they were for Macromedia Flash - nothing to do with…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 14 2008 10:04AM=-=>

Hi Pedster,

We haven’t been able to reproduce this issue. If you have, please share some more specific information about the configuraiton of your system before and after the point at which the wizard becomes unusable. Thanks!

18. SQL Native Client silently fails ODBC call to stored procedure with smalldatetime parameter

SQL NATIVE CLIENT PROBLEM WITH SMALLDATETIME STORED PROCEDURE PARAMETERS
    Breaks existing application code when client's DSN uses the SQL Native Client ODBC driver

Scenario:
    - A SQL Server 2005 stored procedure has a smalldatetime parameter
    - The client application passes a date/time value that includes seconds to the procedure call (e.g. VB's Now())
    - The client application uses the ODBC syntax {? = call (?)} in order to get the return value
    Result:
    - The stored procedure is not executed (included RAISERROR, INSERT statements have no effect)
    - No error is returned to the client
    - The return value from…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 27 2006 10:04AM=-=>

DAO is a deprecated MDAC technology, and so is not supported with SQL Native Client.

We tried to reproduce your problem using both ADO and C++ calling ODBC directly. In both cases the procedure call was made.

We are unable to take this further at this time as we do not have a reroducable bug for SQL Native Client. If you are able to reproduce this problem using a supported data access technology, such as ADO, please let us know and we will investigate further.

<=-=Apr 3 2007 6:44AM=-=>

The native client drivers do not seem nearly as flexible OLE DB providers, when you would expect them to be more solid and reliable. Why were they included if they have less functionality?

<=-=Sep 14 2010 1:56PM=-=>

I am having this problem with ADO 2.6 and it occurs with ADO 2.8 as well. An…

19. RSClientPrint in reporting services errror

This is a urgent needed for help... i got to put the release the application to a client but i can't while this problem isn't resolved...

There is:
    When i try to print a report using RSClientPrint ActiveX object it give's me a error in the end of the request, but the report it's printed ok (just the error message appears)

in attachement goes 2 files: report1.rdl and the printtest.htm

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 9

<=-=Mar 28 2006 3:24PM=-=>

I am not able to repro this issue. Here are a few things to try:

Make sure you are using the SP1 print control. Your html still has the RTM version 1399 and should have the SP1 version you are using.
    Turn on the print control logging by setting the following registry value:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Reporting Services]
    “LogRSClientPrintInfo”=dword:00000001

This will create a log file in the temp directory called LOG.tmp. Send this file to us, it should have some information to help us debug the issue.

<=-=Mar 29 2006 8:12AM=-=>

Are you using the Reporting Services 2005? And the rsclientprintcab that comes with that?
    And, what SP1 Print control that you are talking? I don’t know any, and i tryed to find in the web and don’t found (for this version).

The registry key that you gave me isn’t for reporting services 2000?…

20. Attach databases from network drive without full control

Opened new for FDBK45101, because wasn't in office for some weeks, so couldn't answer question.

To attach database file on network shares the user must have full control on the files, because SQL2005 changes the permissions on the files in the way that another user account is not able to connect the database files.

DBCC TRACEON(1807)
    GO
    PRINT 'ATTACH FIRST'
    CREATE DATABASE TEST ON
    ( FILENAME = N'\server\tmp\test.mdf' ),
    ( FILENAME = N'\server\tmp\testlog.ldf' )
    FOR ATTACH;
    GO
    PRINT 'Detach'
    exec sp
    detach_db TEST
    GO

Permission before Attach:
    1.) Everyone Full control
    Z:\test.mdf Jeder:(OI)(CI)F

Z:\test_log.ldf Jeder:(OI)(CI)F

2.) After attaching:

Z:\test.mdf…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 22 2006 9:56AM=-=>

Hi, thanks for the further information that you have provided. Now we understand better the issue that you have run into. Can you verify to see if we understand this correctly? 1) You issued the first attach with account “domain\user”; 2) you subsequently issued the detach with account “domain\user”, too; and 3) then you attempt to attach the files with an account different than “domain\user” and got access denied error. If all above three are true, then the behavior you saw was by SQL2005’s design – you either have to use “domain\user”, the account that did the detach, to re-attach the database; or “domain\user” or admin should modify the ACL’s on the file to grant other people attach permission. I understand that this behavior may not work well in your scenario. But, could you please confirm with us about our above understanding first, please?

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base