SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Attach a database with missing log file

I tried to attach a SQL 2000 database but I forgot to copy the ldf file to the expected folder. As expected, it generated the error "Path not found". Then without closing the "Attach Database" window I copied the ldf file to the expected folder and clicked OK but I got the same error message.
    I had to close the "Attach Database" window and re-attach the mdf file for it to work.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. SQL SERVER 2005 E-LEARNING DISPLAYS Directory Listing Denied

When using the e-learning site the error "Directory Listing Denied
    This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed." appears at various depths on the site.
    Active X and java are enabled.
    This does not occur with Mozilla, but the lessons will not appear using Mozilla.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=May 4 2006 1:32PM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback. Can you reply with the precise URL of the page in question, so that we can be sure that we are looking into the correct issue?

<=-=Jun 5 2006 1:32PM=-=>

We have not been able to reproduce the problem without a precise URL. Feel free to reactivate if appropriate (providing the URL so that we can better investigate).

3. Error when passing GUID Parameter: Failed to convert parameter value from a String to a Guid

I am using SSRS 2005 and my report dataset of type stored procedure has a parameter of type uniqueidentifier. When I try to run the dataset I get the error:
    "Failed to convert parameter value from a String to a Guid."

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 7

<=-=Nov 2 2007 1:54PM=-=>

We are tracking this as a task for SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services.

A workaround is to change command type to Text and use something like this:
    DECLARE @P1 UniqueIdentifier
    SET @P1 = convert (uniqueidentifier, @Param)
    exec sp_guid @P1

<=-=Feb 6 2008 9:54AM=-=>

A workaround is to change command type to Text and use something like this:
    DECLARE @P1 UniqueIdentifier
    SET @P1 = convert (uniqueidentifier, @Param)
    exec sp_guid @P1

Supporting this directly would require adding end-to-end support for GUIDs as report parameter type in RS, which we unfortunately won’t have time to add in the current release, but it is under consideration for the next release.

<=-=Feb 18 2010 8:44AM=-=>

I’m using SSRS2008. I have a report with a subreport. The main report is processing the subreport with an error. I’m trying to pass a formatted 36 char guid value as a parameter to…

4. SSIS Expression Language fails to evaluate a DATE function after installing SQL 2005 SP1

I have a Data Flow which includes a Derived Column task. The task uses an expression to check a date value for the year 2079. It uses the YEAR() date function within the the CONDITIONAL operator. The package fails to evaluate the date function. Here is the error I am trapping:

An error occurred while evaluating the function.

The "component "Update Max Date Value to NULL" (346)" failed because error code 0xC0049067 occurred, and the error row disposition on "input column "WeekEndingDate" (455)" specifies failure on error. An error occurred on the specified object of the specified component.

The ProcessInput…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 5 2006 11:24AM=-=>

I am unable to reproduce this. Could you perhaps hook up the error output of the derived column and redirect error rows, and then see what value(s) of LastWorkedDate it’s failing on?
    Thanks!

<=-=May 22 2006 4:20PM=-=>

Hello
    We tried but couldn’t repro this with the existing info. Pls reactivate if it still reproduces for you and let us know some more details then (pls refer to Microsoft Comments above). Thanks!

5. DTS Designer with SP1 get access denied with non-admin user

After installing SQL Server 2005 SP1, DTS Designer get an "Access Denied" error when opening an existing DTS (I am using the SQL Server DTS Designer included with SQL 2005 feature pack).
    I already installed the update of DTS Designer for SP1, but result is the same.
    After the error, DTS Designer opens the package, but the "Task" pane doesn't show any task, so it is impossible to add new task to a DTS package.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. SubReport should not load into memory if visibility is set to false

I have two subreports in two different groups and i am toggling the visibility of both groups and reports based on condition. Behaviour of hiding dynamically is working properly but subreports get loading into memory even its visibility is set to false and not going to display in reports.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Job Activity Monitor Incorrect When Start Job at Step

(Why does the Version selection not include editions + SP1? This is Developer Edition (32) with SP1, SP1 still has editions when applied)

When using Start Job At Step, the Job Activity Monitor does not show the job as executing, but still shows idle.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 10 2006 5:40PM=-=>

Hi DarrenSQLIS ,

This is no repro in our labs.

We tried the repro steps exactly as mentioned in repro steps pane and could repro it.

it could be that the step you are running gets executed before you view in Job activity monitor(JAM)
    Can you please test with step that takes few seconds to execute so you can check status in JAM ?

We appreciate your time and feedback.

Thanks,
    Gops Dwarak

<=-=May 15 2006 4:20PM=-=>

Hi DarrenSQLIS ,

It could be that Autorefresh in JAM is not enabled. Please check the autorefresh settings.

Thanks,
    Gops Dwarak

8. SQL 2000 bug, but your web page won't let me SELECT that....

THIS IS ON SQL 2000 SP4, but your form doesn't allow me to select that STILL supported product.

Accidentally created a column using

sprepladdcolumn 'tablefoo', '[targetobjectcache_time]', 'int not null default(0)'

Column name at subcribers was [targetobjectcache_time] (i.e. contained [] in the column name.)

Realized I didn't want this.

Did a sprepldropcolumn 'tablefoo', '[targetobjectcache_time]'

Replication fails with error below.

Looks like it's sometimes treating the [] as a delimiter, sometimes as part of the column name.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Apr 26 2006 2:20PM=-=>

Thanks for bring this issue to our attention.
    This problem does not reproduce on SQL Server 2005 and only reproduces on SQL Server 2000.
    I have created the linked bug for SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 5 and hopefully it will be addressed then.

<=-=Oct 15 2007 9:53AM=-=>

As mentioned before, this bug does not repro on SQL Server 2005 and only repros on SQL 2000.
    There is a work item tracking this issue for SQL 2000. It will be triaged for the next Service Pack.
    In the meantime, please try it on SQL Server 2005 and report back if you see similar issue. Thanks.

9. Incorrect Results with t-sql Query in SQL Server 2005

I'm seeing some change in behavior for a query in SQL Server 2005 (compared to behavior in SQL Server 2000). The query is as follows:

create table #projects (projectid int) insert into #projects select projectid from tblprojects where istemplate = 0 and projecttemplateid = 365

Select distinct tblProjects.ProjectID
    from tblProjects WITH (NOLOCK)

inner join #projects on #projects.projectid = tblprojects.projectid  

Inner join tblMilestones WITH (NOLOCK) ON tblProjects.ProjectID = tblMilestones.ProjectID
    and tblProjects.projectID in (
    select projectid
    from tblMilestones
    where (parent = 683691 AND PrimaryDate between &#39;4/15/2006&#39; and &#39;4/22/2006&#39; )
    and enabled = 1 )

This is dynamic SQL generated by the application…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Apr 25 2006 4:28PM=-=>

I do not see the showplan attachment. This may be an artifact of our feedback processing tools. I’ve tried both our internal bug database and the web site http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/ProductFeedback/viewfeedback.aspx?feedbackid=59c77d11-30fe-43b9-8359-bd0abe4b374d and it is not there. Could you send it to marcfr@microsoft.com ? Thank you.

<=-=May 30 2007 4:14PM=-=>

i have also faced the incorrect behaviour of T-SQL code using table variables. Following is the sample code snipet that identifies the problem.

declare @idx int, @rec int

select @idx = 1, @rec =10

while @idx <= @rec
    begin
    declare @temp table (value int)
    insert into @temp select @idx
    select * from @temp
    set @idx = @idx + 1
    end

in this code segment, @temp is table variable that should by initialized on each iteration, but when execute the script, it doess not initialize the table variable and the table contains the values related to all…

10. SP1 Failure

Attempting to install SP1 reports a failure on Database Services, Analysis Services and Reporting Sevices - also fails on Windows 2003 with SP2 installed.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 24 2006 9:24AM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. For us to investigate this problem, could you supply us with the Service Pack 1 log files located at
    Windir\Hotfix?

Thank You,
    Peter Saddow

<=-=Apr 26 2006 9:24AM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. For us to investigate this problem, could you supply us with the Service Pack 1 log files located at
    Windir\Hotfix and reactive this issue.

Thank You,
    Peter Saddow

11. SP1 Broke Integration Services

I installed SP1 on my SQL2005 instance. Integration services will no longer start. I had made no customizations of the DCOM security. I removed Integration Services and then reinstalled them. The service would start after that. As soon as I reinstall SP1 the Integration services fail to start. I read the

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 21 2006 3:24PM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback ,

We had several reports of this issue but we were not able to reproduce it in our test labs . In order to try to understand the cause please provide all the logs located under
    WinDir\Hotfix as well as Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG.

Also it would be really helpful for us if you could provide the following information :

1. State of the SSIS service prior to SP1 upgrade ( started / stopped /..)
    2. The acount name under which the SSIS service was running prior to SP1 upgrade
    3. The content of the “SQLServer2005DTS$….” machine group(s) prior and after the SP1 upgrade.

There is a known issue that the SP1 upgrade sets the SSIS running account to be NetworkService regardless of what was set prior which might be related with this problem.

The…

12. 0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. SSIS doesn't start after applying sql2k5 sp1

After applying sql2k5 sp1, SSIS doesn't start.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 4

<=-=Apr 25 2006 4:44PM=-=>

Could you please check of you have a file MsDtsSrvrUtil.dll in folder
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\DTS\Binn?
    Also, if the file does exist – what is its version?

<=-=Apr 26 2006 6:46AM=-=>

Yes, the file is there. Version is 2005.90.2047.0 with timestamp 4/14/2006 10:00am.

<=-=Apr 26 2006 4:20PM=-=>

Could you please try to start the service again and check if you still get the error specified in repro, or just ‘service did not respond in a timely fashion’ message?

Thanks!

<=-=Apr 27 2006 7:56AM=-=>

Tried , just got ‘service did not respond in a timely fashion’ message this time.

<=-=Apr 27 2006 9:17AM=-=>

Correction: I have this issue on two servers. After restarting SSIS, one just got ‘service did not respond in a timely fashion’ message this time and I fixed it by disabling certificate checking suggested in FDBK48958. The other still…

14. SQL produced by Modify is missing a GO for SPs in SSMS

Whe you try and modify a procedure that has multiple versions the SQL produced is missing a GO between the alter procedure statements.

Primary Issue http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=125537 is marked as resolved in SP1 this issue isn't fixed in SP1

The primary item is not the same as this and is marked as not reproduceable. I can easily reproduce this on an SP1 box, using the repro steps

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 24 2006 11:32AM=-=>

Hi Simon,
    Thank you for your feedback. We will review this to be addressed in a future release of SQL Server.
    Thanks
    Ramesh Singh

<=-=Jul 18 2006 7:55AM=-=>

Hi Simon,
    We acknowledge this problem and will investagate furture.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Jul 18 2006 2:10PM=-=>

Hi Simon,
    We just made the determination that this issue is not SP2 material and we will address this in the next full release of SQL Server.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Jul 18 2006 11:36PM=-=>

Is that because its a deprecated feature and so won’t be in a future release :)

From BOL
    “Note:
    This feature will be removed in a future version of Microsoft SQL Server. Avoid using this feature in new development work, and plan to modify applications that currently use this feature. "

<=-=Dec 7 2007 4:52AM=-=>

This is fixed in katmai.

Thanks
    Sreekar

15. Many-to-many dimension showing wrong numbers

We have a many to many dimension that is producing incrorrect numbers. It had gone unnoticed for a long time, till we created an equivalent relational report and it has now been highlighted. For a relatively small proportion of leaf level items, NULL is returned from MDX. At the higher aggregated level, the numbers are smaller in the cube than they should be (about 5 or 10%).

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 5

<=-=Aug 18 2006 2:48PM=-=>

We are investigating this issue and will get back to you. There are several common dimensions between the two measure groups, however all but one are reference dimensions. There is most likely some data discrepancy between the two measure groups w.r.t. the reference dimensions.

16. MDX - NON EMPTY clause combined with Crossjoin() function removing calculated members from axis when they actually resolve to a n

When the non-empty clause is added to an axis that has a dimension (other than the measures dimension) that has calculated members and is crossjoined with another dimension, the calculated members are excluded from the result set.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. SOS:Strange "Arithmetic Overflow Error" when do numeric dividing

when do reasonable divide operator for Decimal of Numeric, the error will occur:

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 18 2006 11:24AM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback, Jethro

I cannot validate the issue you are experiencing. Can you double-check your repro steps please? In addition, please provide us with the following information:

- Server version (output from SELECT @@version)
    - User options (output DBCC USEROPTIONS)

Thanks!

-Mat Henaire
    SQL Server Engine

<=-=Jun 5 2006 4:20PM=-=>

We couldn’t reproduce the problem. Please check the TSQL scripts as well as provide the version and set options that Mat mentioned below.

Thanks,
    Jun

18. Restarting the SQL Agent causes the server to become unresponsive requiring a hard reboot to recover.

If you use the restart option for the SQL Server Agent the server will become completely unresponsive and then requires a hard restart to recover. Note: If you stop the SQL Server Agent service and then start the agent this does NOT occur.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 17 2006 3:08PM=-=>

Kevin Madsen ,

Thanks for reporting this and we will look into this bug and if it repros we plan to get this addressed in our next service pack.

Thanks,
    Gops Dwarak

<=-=May 25 2006 7:24PM=-=>

Hi Kevin Madsen ,

We tried in the same environment you reported and we could not successfully repro the issue.

If you have a consitent repro on this and you are fine with attaching the agent log file to the bug then may help us to investigate this issue.

Thanks,
    Gops Dwarak

19. Setting an extended timeout for the log reader agent does not change the timeout

If you create a new replication agent profile containing an larger value for the -QueryTimeout value than the default of 1800 it does not apply to the agent

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Apr 14 2006 5:49AM=-=>

This works correctly in SQL 2005 standard 32 bit version.

<=-=May 15 2006 11:40AM=-=>

Kevin, You mentioned this is not a problem in SQL 2005 std edition 32 bit. Can you confirm that you are not seeing this issue anymore?

<=-=Aug 14 2011 12:22PM=-=>

I’ve the same issue changing log reader profile. SQL Version – 10.0.4285.0

20. Copy Paste Stop working in SQL 2005

After using Server Management studios editing a script, sometimes copy and paste stop working. I can't use keystrokes or a right click on the mouse. If I go to other applications it works fine. If I close the script and not Server Mgmt and reopen it again, it still does not work. I have to close all scripts and shutdown the app and restart it.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 5

<=-=May 1 2006 4:28PM=-=>

Hi Eugene,

Thanks for taking the time to log this issue. So far we have not been able to repro this issue in our lab environment.
    I suspect that it may be something specific to your configuration or hardware. (Can you let us know what your config is?)
    Can you also check your free swap space and other resources on your system and determine if they are constrained?
    Also check the Windows event log and see if there are errors in there that may give us a clue as to what is failing.

Thanks,

Terrence

<=-=May 23 2006 1:40PM=-=>

Hi Eugene,

I am closing this issue as a “no repro” on our end.

Please let us know if this happens to you again.

Thanks,

Terrence Nevins
    SQL Server Program Manager

<=-=Aug 25 2010 12:46PM=-=>

I’m seeing the same behavior. Windows 7 64-bit & SQL

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base