SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Cannot add a database user to a database role if the name contains a dash.

Unable to add a database user to a database role when the name contains a dash.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. New Job window doesn't let you enter space

When creating a schedule for a new backup job, Management Studio doesn't let you to enter a space into the job name and the schedule name textboxes.

When you press space the cursor jumps back to the first position.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Exception when refreshing Object Browser

When refreshing the Object Browser the following exceptions occures:
    System.ArgumentException: Item has already been added. Key in dictionary: '(Icon)' Key being added: '(Icon)'
    at System.Collections.Hashtable.Insert(Object key, Object nvalue, Boolean add)
    at System.Collections.Hashtable.Add(Object key, Object value)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.LazyTreeView.AddIconToImageMap(TreeNode node)

see full log in the attachment.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Incorrect reference to non-existing view sys.languages.

On ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/tsqlref9/html/a616fce9-b4c1-49da-87a7-9d6f74911d8f.htm
    in the first table, in the centre column, a view sys.languages is mentioned. There is no such view. It should be sys.syslanguages.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. MSSQLService will not start since applying latest security fixes

I just applied the latest secrurity patches mandated by corporate (I work for MSFT.) I am running the June CTP. After applying them, my MSSQLServer instance will not start. All other services (and I have them all installed) seem to function just fine. When I go to services to start, I get this message -> The SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) on the local computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no (blah blah).

I have 4 messages in my event viewer one regarding spawning FRunCM, one regarding the network library not starting because of an internal…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Aug 12 2005 2:11PM=-=>

Diane,

I see the bug you reported this morning. Can I get access to your machine? It would also help if you are able to turn on BID trace.

Thanks,
    Xinwei

<=-=Aug 16 2005 8:04AM=-=>

Diane,

We were unable to reproduce this in house and you’ve shared with us that you have lost the repro. We strongly suspect that there is a misconfiguration or missing security dll on your system. If you are still having concerns with AS, please go ahead and file a different bug to follow up there.

Thanks.

6. Problem installing April CTP and July CTP of SQL Server 2005 Express Edition if multiple OS is installed

I tried to install VS.NET 2005 Express and Web Developer Express and both failed because SQL 2005 Express can not be correctly installed. I tried to install SQL 2005 Express the April CTP and July CTP then, they both failed. I could install them on some other machine without any problem, so I think that it is because I installed two OS's on this machine.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Getting index properties for table in Management Studio is too slow

Getting index properties for table in Management Studio is too slow.
    In my Pentium-4 3GHz 512Mb it requires about 1 minute to open index properties window.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Impossible to view execution plan when connected to MSSQL_2000

When Management Studio is connected to MSSQL_2000 is impossible to examine graphical execution plan for big query (when query is more then 50 strings). See print screen file in attachement.
    When Management Studio is connected to MSSQL_2005 everything is ok.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Operators *= =* works as inner join at the compatibility level less than 90

Operators *= =* works as inner join at the compatibility level less than 90.
    At the compatibilty level 90 those operators throws error according to BOL.
    But at the compatibilty level 80 (or 70) they work as simple inner join.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Unexpected "!" in hyperlink of SQL 2000 Report Server generated email

THIS IS NOT FOR SQL SERVER 2005! The bug is for SQL SERVER 2000 Report Writer.
    This site does not have a drop down for any SQL product other than SQL Server 2005 (seperate bug or at least an annoyance).
    SQL Server 2000 Reporting Service is randomly inserting �!� in the link on a Subscription E-Mail.
    I have a once daily report that I deliver by email.
    My clients have been complaining about broken links; upon investigation I found that if I copy/pasted the link into the browser it worked fine.
    I pasted the link into Word and edited the…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Nov 8 2005 4:28PM=-=>

To diagnose this issue, we need a consistent repro of the issue – can you attach the RDL for the failing report? Are you sending reports directly to the email server or are you dropping them first to the file system and then an email server is processing them from disk? Please confirm that the OS is Windows 2003 Enterprise. What SMPT server are you using to send email?

<=-=Oct 16 2007 10:32AM=-=>

Closing as we were not able to repro this issue.

11. Cannot debug script component

Cannot debug a script component, this is contrary to BOL
    Debugging a Script Component
    To debug the code in your Script component, set at least one breakpoint in
    the code. You must close the VSA IDE to run the package. However, when
    package execution enters the Script component, the VSA IDE reopens and
    displays your code in read-only mode. After execution reaches your
    breakpoint, you can examine variable values and step through the remaining
    code.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 14

<=-=Aug 2 2005 10:52AM=-=>

The debugging feature for Script Component, unlike for Script Task, is not available in Yukon release. We will be looking into this for the follow up release. In the meantime, please use debugging strategy similar to what was done in Script transformation in DTS 2000 (i.e. tracing).

Best regards,
    Sergei Ivanov
    Integration Services Development Team

<=-=Nov 25 2011 3:16PM=-=>

This has been around a long, long time and has nothing been done YET?

PLEASE give us debugging in the Script Component!

12. Database mail configuration GUI does not appear to maintain database context

If a Database Mail configuration gui is started on one database and then another is started on a second database server, the first Database Mail configuration gui changes context to the second database.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Linked server gui does not appear to support SQL 2000

Running "EXEC sp_addlinkedserver MYSRV, @srvproduct='Any', @provider='SQLOLEDB', @datasrc=SERVER" produces a provider name of 'SQLOLEDB' in sysservers and allows linking to SQL 2000 databases. However the GUI does not have any options that will set this provider name. The closest is the "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server" which produces a provider name of 'SQLOLEDB.1' which when operated gives the following error.

Query: select * from SERVER.DATABASE.dbo.table
    Result: The OLE DB provider "SQLOLEDB.1" for linked server "SERVER" supplied inconsistent metadata for a column. The column "TableId" (compile-time ordinal 1) of object ""DATABASE"."dbo"."table"" was reported to have a "Incomplete schema-error logic." of…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 28 2005 1:45PM=-=>

Hi Brian,
    Thank you for your bug report regarding the creation of a linked server with SQL 2000. We have made some fixes since the June CTP and can no longer reproduce the problem. The fix should be in the next CTP.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

14. [JDBC SQL SERVER 2005]CallableStatement throws exception on Select statement

When I used the MS Sqlserver 2000 jdbc drivers my java code that had the following query worked fine...

the query looks like

IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sysobjects WHERE id = object_id('db_hash_admin_advice_CoopSinkInterchange')) SELECT 1 ELSE SELECT 0

Now with the 2005 drivers..I get the following exception

com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'SELECT'.
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException.makeFromDatabaseError(Unknown Source)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.IOBuffer.processPackets(Unknown Source)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.getNextResult(Unknown Source)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.sendExecute(Unknown Source)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.doExecuteQuery(Unknown Source)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerPreparedStatement.executeQuery(Unknown Source)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerCallableStatement.executeQuery(Unknown Source)

I don't think the query has a problem as it executes fine in query analyser.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Aug 23 2005 8:20PM=-=>

Hi chhil,

I verified I could reproduce this issue using the SQL Server 2005 JDBC Beta 1 driver.
    Next I verified this issue is fixed in the latest internal build of our driver.

So this will be fixed in the next release of our driver, thanks for your feedback!

Matt

<=-=Oct 29 2007 4:00PM=-=>

Hi chhil,

The latest SQL Server 2005 JDBC driver is available at http://msdn.microsoft.com/data/jdbc. If this issue is still not resolved, please post a new feedback.

Sincerely,
    Microsoft SQL Server JDBC team.

15. dtexec returns C0000005 (fatal exception) when run with xp_cmdshell and named pipes protocol is enabled

Command: xp_cmdshell 'dtexec /SQL "\/ImportMDB" /SERVER "DELL-29\SQL2005"'
    When the above command is run and named pipes protocol is enabled then a return code of C0000005 is returned. When the command is run at the command prompt it works fine with or without named pipes.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 26 2005 1:39PM=-=>

I could not repro this. Could you please provide some more info. Specifically, does xp_cmdshell work for anything else? If you run a package from a file instead of from sqlserver using xp_cmdshell does it work or fail the same way? Thanks.

<=-=Jul 26 2005 4:09PM=-=>

I could not repro this. Could you please provide some more info. Specifically, does xp_cmdshell work for anything else? If you run a package from a file instead of from sqlserver using xp_cmdshell does it work or fail the same way? Thanks.

<=-=Sep 4 2005 10:53PM=-=>

dtexec failed in both xp_cmdshell and a windows command shell. Otherwise xp_cmdshell works fine. Note that the package executed fine in the integration services gui and visual studio.

This problem occured again recentily and I tracked it down to corrupted data in a memo cell (mapped to a nvarchar(max) by dts). After…

16. Database Mirroring - Pressing OK in database properties dialog box breaks mirroring

In sqlwb (ssms), using database properties dialog box (right click on the database) configure database mirroring through the UI. After the mirroring is showing as synchronized exit this by pressing the OK button.
    ssms is gets stuck.

My versions:
    Copied from ssms help about
    Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio (expires in 349 days) 9.00.1187.00
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 2000.090.1187.00
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2000.085.1117.00 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
    Microsoft MSXML 2.6 3.0 5.0 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180
    Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.50215.312
    Operating System 5.1.2600

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 25 2005 4:39PM=-=>

We have made a lot of changes from build CTP 15. We can not repro it in our newer build. And also there is a QFE in DB mirroring and Database properties dialog. If you find this problem again on newer version, please let us know.

Thanks

17. Reporting Services Configuration Fails

After installing Reporting Services, I am using the Report Server Configuration Tool. I have checkboxes across the board with the following exceptions:

(x) Server Status - I think this is because it is not started
    (!) Encryption Keys - This looks optional, so I assume it is okay
    (x) Initialization - Nothing ever shows up when I click on this
    (!) E-mail settings - This also looks optional.

When I try to start the server, I get the following error message:

System.ServiceProcess.TimeoutException: Time out has expired and the operation has not been completed.
    at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.WaitForStatus(ServiceControllerStatus desiredStatus, TimeSpan timeout)
    at ReportServicesConfigUI.Panels.ServerInformationPanel.StartStopServiceTask(Boolean…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 21 2005 5:03PM=-=>

To diagnose this issue, we need the report server log files and the report server configuration file for this instance.

<=-=Jul 25 2005 11:45AM=-=>

Hi Cam,

To diagnose this issue we need the report server log files and the report server configuration file for this instance. Thanks.

<=-=Jul 27 2005 10:27AM=-=>

Hi Cam,

To diagnose this issue we need the report server log files and the report server configuration file for this instance. Thanks.

<=-=Sep 5 2007 10:51AM=-=>

I’m having this same issue, with the exact same exception.
    I also attempted to manually start the windows service through the services admin tools and it gave me the same alert.

<=-=Jul 22 2008 8:18AM=-=>

I am having the same issue but all this post tells me is what is happening. Does anyone know how to fix it?

<=-=Sep 9 2008 1:44AM=-=>

I’m having the same…

18. Upgrade Advisor help contains an incomplete phrase

In Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Upgrade Advisor help file, topic "Run-time exceptions may occur in unsafe queries because of earlier evaluation of expressions in query plans", there is an incomplete phrase. The topic begins with: "in some cases evaluates expressions in queries sooner than when they were evaluated in SQL Server 2000." Note that this sentence does not begin with a capital letter and moreover, it has no subject (Who evaluates sooner? SQL Server 2005, probably).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Duplicate information in Books Online topic "REFERENTIAL_CONSTRAINTS"

In Books Online, topic "REFERENTIAL_CONSTRAINTS" there is a duplicate note (the one that reads: "Important: This feature has changed from earlier versions of SQL Server. For more information, see Breaking Changes to Database Engine Features in SQL Server 2005. ")

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. local server not found with dot (.) in dts import

normally (e.g. when starting the sql managment studio) the local server can be accessed by providing . (dot) as the server name.

When doing an dts data import (eg from excel) at the 'choose a destination' page of the import wizard the dot is also preselected as the server name, however the local server cannot be accessed, instead you get an error:

--
    ===

===

[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied. (Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server)

----------------------------------------
    Program Location:

at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionInternal..ctor(OleDbConnectionString constr, OleDbConnection connection)
    at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningObject)
    at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 18 2005 7:51PM=-=>

Could you see if TCP/IP has been disabled on your server? If it has, try turning it on and see if the connection succeeds. If it does, then you’ve hit a known limitation with MDAC to Yukon connections described in the "MDAC 2.8 clients that use OLEDB may not be able to connect to SQL Server 2005 CTP 15 for local connections that use “.”, �(local)�, or () when TCP is disabled" section of this kb article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;899436

<=-=Jul 19 2005 10:46AM=-=>

I have shared memory, named pipes and tcp/ip on all ip addresses enabled, only VIA is disabled.

<=-=Jul 20 2005 4:51PM=-=>

Thanks for your quick response. Did you re-start the server after you enabled the protocols? I setup the same configuration and was able to reproduce the problem. If you did re-start the server can you send the SQL Server errorlog…

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base