SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. MSFT - Maddog: PDW doesn't report scale data always on charts

Sometimes the PDW server activity history reports don't include scale on all the charts, thus making the chart fairly useless.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Jul 6 2008 10:06AM=-=>

Hi Josh,
    We understand the problem and how to fix this. We are looking to include this in the first CU for 2008.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Jan 2 2009 8:10PM=-=>

Hi Josh – The issue is fixed in CU2 – I have download instructions in my latest blog at: http://blogs.msdn.com/billramo/archive/2009/01/02/case-of-the-missing-database-name-in-activity-monitor.aspx
    Thanks,
    Bill Ramos

2. SSMS: Single column results to text: Regression and nvarchar/varchar inconsistency

SSMS inconsistently space-pads string results for single-column result sets. Varchar-type results are padded to the column alias or maximum display length, but with a minimum width of 4. Nvarchar-type results, on the other hand, are not padded. This is both an inconsistency and a change in behavior from previous versions.

Because of this behavior, it is impossible to produce in the results pane (for cut and paste where needed elsewhere, for example) the exact result of executing one or more single-column string-type selects. Saving results to a file retains the spurious padding.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 5

<=-=Jun 30 2008 12:15PM=-=>

Steve,

The issue is understood in the use scenario. It could be a regression introduced from a fix for right-to-left scripting languages. In column aligned mode, it is by-design but other modes such as comma, tab and space separated modes, it should preserve the original behavior. I will escalate it to the product team.

Regards,
    Eric Kang
    Program Manager, Microsoft SQL Server

<=-=Aug 30 2011 3:42PM=-=>

Hi Steve Kass

Thanks for writing in to report this issue. We have added this to our backlog of approved fixes for a future release. I’m resolving as “won’t fix” for accounting reasons on our side.

Thanks
    Sam Hughes (Product group PM)

3. SSMS : URLs are underlined, why?

SSMS underlines URLs, and does so in confusing ways (it doesn't always stop underlining when the URL ends).

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Jun 30 2008 12:26PM=-=>

Aaron,

Thank you for reporting the issue. IntelliSense parser ignores content of string but it seems like coming from VS editor module that SSMS QE uses. We will investigate the reason.

Regards,
    Eric Kang
    Program Manager, Microsoft SQL Server

<=-=Jun 28 2011 11:20AM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback. This particular problem should be fixed in the next release of SQL Server.

4. KPE - JHU - SSMS throws OutOfMemory exception on large result set

Running a query with a large result set from SSMS results in an System.OutOfMemoryException in SSMS

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Jun 27 2008 11:05AM=-=>

capnsue,

Can you please provide us more detail on the issue? Was it running on Result to Text mode or Result to Grid mode?

Thanks,
    Eric

<=-=Jun 30 2008 11:21AM=-=>

The described behavior happens when you are doing Results to Grid.

I just tried the same query with Results to Text and found different behavior

Query returns some number of rows (can’t tell how many because the “rows” indicator at the bottom of the results pane remains at 0
    and then returns with an error that says “could not replace text”

Results to file produces: (104831923 row(s) affected) and no errors

<=-=May 28 2011 12:20AM=-=>

Hi,

This is regarding the connect item 353243 you previously filed. Given that there is a workaround for the issue (save to file) and comparing other higher priority issues, we are triaging not to fix this issue. Please feel…

5. Role Security at different levels of hierarchy

I have two roles that specify dimension security at two different levels of the same hierarchy. Visual Totals are specified on both roles. Each role works fine individually, but when a user is assigned to both roles, the visual totals don't work as expected. You see the grand total at the parent level.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Oct 13 2008 11:18AM=-=>

BIHunter.

Thanks for reporting the problme.
    The issue looks to be �by design� (though could look like not immideately intuitive ):

If at least one role has visual totals disabled, then the user will see real totals even if other role enable visual totals (this is also for compatibility with Shiloh).

In this particular case, the per-attribute visual totals settings are:

Role1 Role2

State Yes No
    City No Yes

So no visual totals get applied on any attribute.
    We believe the solution is to enable visual totals for both State and City in both roles.

Hope this helps.
    The Analysis Services Team

6. Management Studio DMX Query crash

When trying to execute an DMX Query within Management Studio 2008 RC0, I get an error is produced:

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 25 2008 12:33PM=-=>

Lachender.

Thank you for reporting this problem to us.
    Unfortunately it is very hard to say just based on the information in this case on what is happening with the SQL Management studio. Or whether the problem is with Analysis Services.
    To troubleshot some more we suggest you try and run SQL Server Profiler against Analysis Server.
    See if you get any server errors as responce to your query.

The Analysis Services Team.

7. Design Query in Editor window repeats predicates

When using the Design Query in Editor window, predicates can be repeated, like this:

FROM Sales.SalesOrderHeader INNER JOIN
    Sales.SalesPerson
    ON Sales.SalesOrderHeader.SalesPersonID = Sales.SalesPerson.SalesPersonID
    AND Sales.SalesOrderHeader.SalesPersonID = Sales.SalesPerson.SalesPersonID
    AND Sales.SalesOrderHeader.SalesPersonID = Sales.SalesPerson.SalesPersonID

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 7

<=-=Jul 9 2008 9:55PM=-=>

Hello Rob Farley,

Thank you for reporting the problem. The current workaround is to manually remove the duplicate clauses from the query before exiting the design query mode. We plan to address this issue in a future release of SQL Server. The product team will relook at this problem during that time and update this space.

Thanks,
    Karthik

<=-=Jul 9 2008 10:33PM=-=>

I know there’s a workaround, but the whole point of using the graphical system is to avoid extra work. And the result is one that makes the query writer look incompetent. In its current form, I have no hesitation in telling people to avoid using it in all situations, even if they think they can save some typing.

8. Reporting Services Data Sources in Visual Studio Don't Honor Project Configurations

The Visual Studio project configurations don't work with Reporting Services data sources.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 25 2008 12:34PM=-=>

Thank you for using SQL Server Reporting Services.
    We are investigating this issue.
    -Craig

<=-=Jun 25 2008 5:10PM=-=>

Hello, can you please explain a bit more about what you would like to see happen? I believe this is a DCR request as things are working as deisgned and the way SSRS 2005 did? Agree?

But I would like to understand better what your requesting. The Project Configuration options for SRS deal with ‘targets’ for where data sources and reports should be deployed.

How should connection strings be updated based on the deployment settings?
    Thank you for your patience.

<=-=Jun 25 2008 5:36PM=-=>

In SSAS and SSIS, project configurations extend to connection strings in data sources. This lets me have configuration-specific connection strings. This is not happening with SSRS. It could be very useful to implement this feature.

<=-=Jun 26 2008 9:07AM=-=>

Thank…

9. SSIS Data Mining Query Task: Prediction Join "erased"

After a given user creates a Data Mining Query Task in SSIS and saves the package or project, when another user opens the package or project, the contents of the "Query" tab in the Data Mining Query Task (the prediction join) is erased.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 27 2008 7:03PM=-=>

Hello Paul.

Thank you a lot for reporting the problem to us.

Unfortunately it is too late for the current release of Analysis Services to take any action on this matter.
    We are going to take a look at this in the next release.

Thanks.
    The Analysis Services Team.

10. SSMS: Mismatches or lack of refresh in simultaneous edit or design operations with SSMS tools

Various mismatch or refresh issues in SSMS:
    1. While having a table design view open (right-click on table in SSMS object explorer and select design), delete a column in a table via SSMS object explorer by right-clicking on the column under the Columns subfolder heading and selecting delete. The deleted columns still show up in table design view, and no refresh (by right-clicking on tables and selecting refresh) will either make them go away or make them reappear in Object explorer.

1. In similar behavior, a table design in diagram view that is already open does not get refresh with changes…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 9 2008 9:43PM=-=>

Hello Manuel Lopez,

Thank you for reporting the refresh problem in the edit/design operations in SSMS. We are aware of this problem and plan to fix it in a future release of SQL Server. As you point out the current workaround is to reopen the design/edit view after deleting the column in Object Explorer. Similarly one would also reopen the diagram after the changes. I am marking this issue for the next release when the product team would look at this problem again.

Thanks,
    Karthik

<=-=Jun 30 2011 5:56AM=-=>

Hi MLopez,

Thanks much for your feedback and recommendation.

However, given the work that would be involved in making this design change, and triaging against our current set of deliverables, we do not think, we would be able to get to this in the near future.

Thanks,
    Nikhil
    SQL Server Team

11. Actvity Monitor column size in SSMS RC0

When I expand any sections (Processes, Resource Waits, Data File I/O or Recent Expensive Queries) in Activity Monitor, I can't view all columns if I expand the column size (scroll right) and I can't expand the column size for more than one column under Processes.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 5

<=-=Jun 19 2008 6:21AM=-=>

Full screen (Shift+Alt+Enter) helps a bit. But not much.

<=-=Jun 19 2008 8:17AM=-=>

Hi Ayed,
    Thank you for your feedback regarding the column sizing situation with the Activity Monitor. We should have allowed the UI to scroll horizontally and we will look into it for a future release. One work around is to undoc the AM tool window and doc at the very bottom of the SSMS console or have it float.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Dec 4 2008 6:04PM=-=>

There are also several missing columns, including Login Time and Last Batch

<=-=Apr 1 2011 3:13AM=-=>

Hi Ayad,
    We are happy to let you know that we were able to reproduce this issue and have fixed it.
    The fix will get reflected in an upcoming release of SQL Server.

Thank you for your valuable feedback.
    Prachi

<=-=Apr 19 2011 6:15AM=-=>

Hi

Greetings from the …

12. Meaningless error message if rel db generates an error during analysis services processing

Meaningless error message if rel db generates an error during analysis services processing. E.g. if a column in a table is renamed. Via AS only "OLE DB-Fehler: OLE DB- oder ODBC-Fehler ." is displayed

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 27 2008 7:14PM=-=>

Hello Meinrad.

Thanks a lot for reporting the problem.
    Unfortunately it is too late for the current release of Analysis Services to take any action on this matter.
    We are going to take a look at this in the next release.

Thanks.
    Edward Melomed.

13. MSIT-MSO: Debugging SQL Query fails with an error The EXECUTE permission was denied on the object 'sp_enable_sql_debug'

When i connected to a server on which i have read-only access, and tried to start debugging; debugging failed with the following error. This makes user clueless what kind of access he needs as 'spenablesql_debug' is not documented.

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

Failed to start debugger

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

The EXECUTE permission was denied on the object 'spenablesql_debug', database 'mssqlsystemresource', schema 'sys'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 229)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.00.1442&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=229&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

And subsequently it errored out with

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

Unable to start program 'MSSQL:://msorguat/master/sys/=0'.

OK

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 60

<=-=Jun 18 2008 10:06AM=-=>

Srikantj,

The minimum security requirement is sysadmin. This is by design from SQL engine security.

Regards,
    Eric

<=-=Apr 23 2010 11:44AM=-=>

How is that by design? Security best practices most definitely do NOT recommend making everyone an sysadmin.

<=-=Sep 9 2010 6:58PM=-=>

I agree with the last comment. If a developer in my shop wants to debug their code in their own database, I shouldn’t be forced to give them the ability to ‘DROP DATABASE master’ in order to accomplish that goal.

Consider this a request for Microsoft to add something, a server role, a database role, or some other facility to grant a user permissions required to run the Debug facility in Management Studio.

<=-=Jan 24 2011 10:05AM=-=>

I agree with the users. sysadmin should be reserved for administration and contains to many rights for a standard developer who needs debugging capability.…

14. Sample Policy has incorrect properties in the condition

The Surface Area Configuration for Database Engine 2005 and 2000 Features sample policy in the RC0 Feature Pack contains properties which are not valid on SQL Server 2000. This policy should be split into two policies for each version.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. SQL Agent will not start through SSMS

When attempting to start SQL Server Agent through SSMS, you receive an unhandled exception and SQL Server Agent will not start.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 14 2008 5:17AM=-=>

Agent will not start through the SQL Server Configuration Manager either. No messages other than the standard WCM messages that the service did not respond in a timely manner or failed to start.

<=-=Jun 14 2008 7:59AM=-=>

Additional information on this. It reproduces on 3 different XP Pro SP3 machines as well as on Windows 2003. However, this only occurs with a default instance. It does not occur with a named instance.

<=-=Jun 14 2008 10:05AM=-=>

Mike,

Thanks for the report, we are investigating…

-Richard Waymire

<=-=Jun 18 2008 10:06AM=-=>

It looks like ControlService.exe (a helper launched by SSMS to change the service state) has a problem displaying legitimate exception messages coming from Windows, such as the user having insufficient privileges to stop or start services. If you start the SQL Server Agent service using the Windows Services control (e.g. Start > Control Panel…

16. Decimal fields accept out-of-range values and lock cell as read-only.

UPDATE: Adding a primary key solves this problem, though the problem should never arise and may possibly suggest some bigger underlying issue, at least with SSMS table editing. (solution pointed out by Sommarskog, if I got the spelling right.)

I have a simple test table defined with decimal type (9,9) as shown in the script below. I get some unexpected--and bad--behavior when typing values in via object explorer from the management studio (right-click on the table, select edit rows).

Entering a number with digits to the left of the decimal gives a reasonable looking error as expected. But entering a…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 23 2008 7:30AM=-=>

Hello Manuel Lopez,

Thank you for reporting the problem. The red exclamation mark mentions why the cell has been made read-only. Since the decimal gets truncated, the value entered and retrieved do not match. If you enter more than 9 digits, close your editor and reopen the Edit window, notice that the decimal is truncated.

The current workaround to edit the cell is to reopen the editor. I marking this bug for a future release of SQL Server.

Thanks,
    Karthik
    MS SQL Server Team

17. Dependency Dynamic Management View returns 207 Invalid Column Name messages in Results

When an dependent procedure exists, but has missing referenced columns, 207 messages are interspersed in the returned data.

I don't like the 2020 error messaes in there eithe, but this seems to be new functionality in RC0 that I will submit a suggestion about...

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 12 2008 6:44PM=-=>

The error that you’re seeing is because its a non-deferrable error. So, we have to show this error.

We will definitely consider fixing this in the next release.

However, if you want to avoid seeing the error you can always use sys.sql_expression_dependencies. Please keep in mind that this is a catalog view.

18. SSMS : Activity Monitor queries tooltip does not indicate there is more

The tooltip for "Recent Expensive Queries" should indicate when the entire query is not present (e.g. by adding a "�" as a final line). It seems that the tooltip contents just cut off at an arbitrary number of characters.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 10 2008 9:23AM=-=>

Hi Aaron,
    Thank you for pointing out that the tool tip doesn’t give an indication that there is more for large text. We will look into making this more obvious – possibly adding a tag to throw the text into a query window.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

19. SSMS : Activity Monitor queries replace white space with ugly boxes

In order to present queries in a single line in the grid, the "Recent Expensive Queries" panel replaces cr/lf/tab with the typical non-printing character replacement (an ugly box).

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 12 2008 1:55PM=-=>

Hi Aaron,
    Thank you for your feedback on the ugly boxes in AM. Were were aware of this problem and we will use this as the master bug for the issue so that we can track user votes. For now, we are moving this to the next major release of SQL Server.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Jun 30 2011 2:54AM=-=>

Hello Aaron,
    Thanks for taking the time to submit your suggestion and I apologize for the delay in responding to this.

Your feedback is very valuable to us. During every release, we make sure to review all customer suggetsions to help guide our decision making. After taking a look at the suggestions and priorities for current and future release, we would not be able to get this request in near future. For now I am closing this bug as won’t fix.

If you have…

20. SSMS : Activity Monitor column headers are too fragile

The column headers in the Activity Monitor panels are impossible to read at reasonable screen sizes, and actually prevent you from being able to tell which column is sorted and in which direction.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 11

<=-=Jun 12 2008 2:14PM=-=>

Hi Aaron,
    Thank you for your feedback on the ugly column layout. Were were aware of this problem and we will use this as the master bug for the issue so that we can track user votes. For now, we are moving this to the next major release of SQL Server. In the future we will take better account of the sort icon and fliter dropdown.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Jul 31 2009 12:18AM=-=>

The process panel is unusable at any resolution. Columns do not resize which makes then all but useless.

<=-=Apr 25 2011 2:42AM=-=>

Hi

Greetings from the SQL Server Manageability team.

Thanks for writing in to Microsoft. We greatly value your feedback. We understand your problem, and how fixing this could improve productivity.

We were able to reproduce this issue, and we have fixed this issue. This will reflect in an…

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base