SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Using output option results assertion

The following code results an assertion

declare @t1 table (i int)
    insert into @t1 (i) values (1)

select * into #1 from @t1

delete @t1
    OUTPUT deleted.* into #1

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Sep 19 2007 1:43AM=-=>

Sorry,
    line
    update @t1 set i = i+1
    must be
    delete @t1
    Results the same assertion
    AshotM

<=-=Sep 24 2007 12:36PM=-=>

Confirmed the issue exists on SQL 2005 Enterprise, Sp2 Rollup #3

Potential workaround. Instead of employing memory table, use a temp table:
    — Added for cleanup
    if ISNUMERIC ) = 1
    DROP TABLE #1
    if ISNUMERIC ) = 1
    DROP TABLE #t0

create table #t0( i int )
    insert into #t0 (i) values (1)
    select * into #1 from #t0
    update #t0 set i = i+1
    OUTPUT deleted.* into #1

<=-=Mar 18 2008 2:38PM=-=>

Dear Customer,

Thanks for reporting the assertion bug table in variables in SQL Server 2005 SP2. We are investigating the issue and will post a fix when it becomes available.

Joachim Hammer

Program Manager
    SQL Server

2. A system assertion check has failed.

Some combinations of data and query conditions lead to run-time error

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 4

<=-=Aug 29 2007 5:53AM=-=>

Can you post a link to the repro script, or include it in the item? Attachments are not visible to the majority of your audience, so it’s hard for anyone to reproduce the issue and gauge the impact.

<=-=Aug 29 2007 6:51PM=-=>

Sorry, I have not paid attention to this circumstance.
    Link to script:
    http://transfer1.gorodok.net/repro_script.zip

<=-=Aug 29 2007 7:19PM=-=>

Similar bug described at
    https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=264653

<=-=Oct 26 2007 7:25PM=-=>

Thank you for reporting this issue. SQL Server development team will investigate the error.

<=-=Aug 4 2008 3:39PM=-=>

This issue has been fixed. Thanks for your help! -Eric

<=-=Aug 19 2008 6:06AM=-=>

How (and when) can I fix it on my servers?

<=-=Aug 28 2008 8:47AM=-=>

Comment from 8/4/2008 indicates that there’s a fix? Is this availble as a hotfix or SP download?

3. AS Data Mining -- Out of memory / Erroneous Scoring Calculation bug

A month or so ago, we had encountered a bug where when our server was out of memory, scoring calcs would proceed anyway, and write out scores of >.9

We are seeing this, even though we implemented a memory cap.

The essential issue is not so much the overflow in the calc, but rather that the scoring procedure is allowed to proceed despite the lack of system resources with no exception thrown.

This bug could pose a significant issue for a customer who may have an automated model scoring package in production.

Best regards,

Michael Moore

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Sep 9 2008 8:11AM=-=>

Thanks for submitting this issue. We looked at this for 2005 SP3, but, without a consistent repro, couldn’t assign it to development. We have assigned the bug for a fix in our next major release.

That said, if we can repro this bug in our lab, we would reconsider.

4. Database policy is not checked on changes when the change is renaming database

Suppose a database policy is created on AdventureWorks to require ANSINULLS ON. If a database with ANSINULLS OFF is renamed to AdventureWorks, the policy does not run. It appears that some database policies can be evaded by renaming the database, applying the prohibited change, then renaming the database back.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Sep 6 2007 8:43AM=-=>

Hi Steve,
    I tried this and DMF behaved as expected. In the health table we store two URNs: one that uses ID and one that uses name. Since the ID doesn’t change on rename the health information is fine. However, the URN that stores name isn’t updated on rename. I’m going to ask a dev to investigate this.

Cheers,
    Dan

<=-=Sep 6 2007 9:25AM=-=>

Dan,

What do you mean by “DMF behaved as expected”? In this repro, a policy is established to require ANSI_NULLS ON for AdventureWorks. It wouldn’t be my expectation that DMF is behaving if that policy is in place yet I discovered that ANSI_NULLS was OFF for AdventureWorks.

<=-=Feb 26 2008 9:20AM=-=>

Hi Steve,

Thanks for submitting the feedback. It is “By Design”:
    1. A prevent policy only gets checked if the DDL statement touches the properties specified in the…

5. Reporting Service - How to avoid collapse when sorting

a) Reporting Services Report has drill down where initial visibility is false
    b) Rendered Report is expanded to drill down to details
    c) Interactive Sort is clicked
    d) The expanded drill down in (b) collapsed to hide the details meant for sorting in (c)

Elements in this feedback is gathered from : http://betaplace.partners.extranet.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=291738

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 11

<=-=Sep 13 2007 7:41PM=-=>

Thank you for the reporting this. The behavior you are currently seeing is by design. The existing toggle state is not migrated to the post-interactive sort state.
    Preserving and translating the toggle state is a great suggestion. We’ll consider adding this to a future version of Reporting Services.

<=-=Sep 22 2008 3:24AM=-=>

yes this is a serious issue pls try to rectify it as soon as possible.
    atleast rectify thin in SSRS 2008 .

6. 0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Rename Shared Data Source in a Report Design Project doesn't update the reports that use the named connection.

Renaming a shared data source should update related reports that use the data source. Instead, the reports will fail because the data source no longer exists as named.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Oct 11 2007 7:51AM=-=>

Thank you for using SQL Server Reporting Services. Supporting some form of ‘smart rename’ on shared data sources would be a great feature and a logical behavior. We are investigating this for the next release. Thank you for your time. -Craig

8. MSIT: EDW - Improve parer error when BEGIN TRY lacks corresponding END TRY/BEGIN CATCH/END CATCH (the current error sends user dow

If one tries to run the script with just BEGIN TRY, they receive unhelpful error.

Note that the error points at the end of the script (which in my real case was quite far from BEGIN TRY, and it took me awile to figure what's wrong).

Such misalignment can easily happen when one is only writing new code, or when one is trying to troubleshoot just a piece of long code by copying just a portion of code into new window. If the copied segment contains BEGIN TRY, it will be difficult to find the actual problem.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Jan 28 2008 7:39PM=-=>

Hello

Thank you for your feedback. A more helpful error message would certainly be useful in the scenario that you’ve described. Internally, providing this information is not only a matter of modifying the error message but would also require some restructuring of the parser logic. Yours is valuable feedback and we will consider it for a future release of SQL Server.

SQL Server Engine Team

9. Directory Browser in "Restore Files and Filegroups" does not remember previous location

When choosing multiple databases to restore with "Restore Files and Filegroups" that are not in the default location, the dialog does not remember the previously navigated location. Very annoying when restoring database backups that are not in the default installation directory.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 18 2008 8:34AM=-=>

Hi DominicZ,

Thanks for reporting this usability issue in the dialog. We will consider this for our future releases.

Regards
    Vinod

<=-=May 12 2011 10:22PM=-=>

Hi DominicZ,

This issue has been fixed, and has been verified internally. This should be available in the next available public release of SQL 11.

Thanks for writing in to Microsoft.

Cheers,
    Vatsalya

10. SSMS : Open Table w/binary key updates too many rows

When a BINARY column is a part of the primary key, open table updates all rows that match the non-binary column(s) of the primary key. This is absolutely unacceptable behavior, especially since the user isn't warned. If I am modifying a single row in Open Table, this should only EVER, EVER, EVER affect ONE SINGLE ROW. This is very bad and can result in irrecoverable data loss.

I can reproduce this behavior in the June and July CTPs of Katmai as well as SQL Server 2005 post-SP2 builds 3159 and 3175.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 13

<=-=Aug 29 2007 6:46PM=-=>

Hi aaronbertrand,

We are able to repro this bug and we considering this for the next release. Thanks for finding this issue. We will keep this space updated as soon as fix this issue.

regards
    Vinod

<=-=Aug 29 2007 6:51PM=-=>

Thanks Vinod, does “the next release” mean Katmai or Katmai + 1?

Thanks,
    Aaron

<=-=Oct 31 2007 10:41AM=-=>

Hi aaronbertrand,
    Thanks for reporting this issue. We have fixed this issue and the fix will available in Katmai.

Regards
    Rajesh

<=-=Oct 31 2007 10:50AM=-=>

Fantastic Rajesh, thanks for the update.

<=-=Jun 5 2009 10:30AM=-=>

This isn’t really “fixed”… instead of updating multiple rows, you return error, making “Edit Top n Rows” completely useless in this scenario. If binary data can’t be used to identify a unique row, then perhaps it should be ineligible for inclusion in a primary key definition in the first place?

Microsoft …

11. delete before process inside one XMLA batch throws error

Run an XMLA batch that deletes the 2001 partition then processes the 2002 partition and it immediately gives you an error.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Oct 13 2008 10:28AM=-=>

Greg.

Thanks for reporting the issue.
    Looks like you are trying to execute a Transactional batch command : Batch Transaction=“true” .
    Try running your batch with Transaction=“false”

<=-=Oct 13 2008 11:16AM=-=>

I suppose setting Transaction=“false” would workaround the problem if you don’t care whether the processing (and deleting) is done as a transaction (so that if it fails, it rolls back). But in this particular case, processing as a transaction was important to me.

12. Report Builder From To dates error out.

When using From To dates, there is no prompt feature. You have to use on or before, and on and after to make it work.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 24 2007 1:59PM=-=>

Thank you for submitting this feedback. This is a known issue with Report Builder. We currently do not create two paramters in the background for the From…To data range functionality in Report Builder. We will consider fixing this in a future release.

13. BPA:unable to connect to registry

After making a scan (it takes about 2 seconds), I get a report with header "Skipping Scan" that says "Skippin sakn for host xxx.com. unable to connect to Registry"

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 10 2007 7:05PM=-=>

This means the scan was aborted because of a problem connecting to the remote registry. A few things to check…
    1) Do you have administrator rights to the remote machine?
    2) Is the remote registry service enabled?
    3) Can you remotely open the registry using Regedit?

Please let me know some more information and I will help you identify the problem.

Paul A. Mestemaker II
    Program Manager
    Microsoft SQL Server
    http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlrem/

14. riskware : invader C:\windows\system32\wlsptls.exe or wisptis.exe.

riskware : invader C:\windows\system32\wlsptls.exe or wisptis.exe.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Server Error in '/' Application.

Server Error in '/' Application.
    The resource cannot be found.
    Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested Url: /dcos/search/default.aspx

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2379; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2379

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Jul 8 2007 1:02AM=-=>

Could you describe a bit what you did to get this error ? it would be more helpful than posting four times the errors. I would be useful if you could be a bit more specific about the application that you want to start, the steps to reproduce and the expected results (Connection to a database etc.)

<=-=Jul 8 2007 1:02AM=-=>

Could you describe a bit what you did to get this error ? it would be more helpful than posting four times the errors. I would be useful if you could be a bit more specific about the application that you want to start, the steps to reproduce and the expected results (Connection to a database etc.)

16. High Error in SQL

Error Code : 81000304.

Error Code : 81000314.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. High Error : 0x8000005A incorrect signature.

High Error : 0x8000005A incorrect signature.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Error Diagnostic Information.

Error Diagnostic Information.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Cascading Params with dynamic DataSource connection string

I use some hidden params at top of report to build a dynamic datasource connection string. This is so I can create linked reports off it when I deploy which just have different hidden param vals for the different servers (multiple instances of system in different geographic locations). Benefits are one copy of report underlying the linked reports. I find that the dynamic connection string seems to cause RS to treat ALL query based params as cascading and hence does not display params when it should. Also find that all param queries are being refreshed each time any param changes,…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Jul 16 2007 4:23PM=-=>

Thank you for requesting this feature. We will consider adding this in a future release of SQL Server Reporting Services.

<=-=Jul 4 2011 2:15AM=-=>

This is not limited to dynamic connections strings. SSRS generates an internal Dependencies element in the RS database Catalog’s Parameter field which is erroneous (OK, “errs on the side of caution”) as soon as any expressions are involved. This is documented elsewhere on Connect…

As gary found, this can and will produce situations where certain parameters are presented grayed out by Report Manager and never enabled, making the report nonunctional.

Manually editing the Parameter field in ReportServer.dbo.Catalog, if done properly, can fix these problems, but needs re-fixing on every redeploy. This worked in 2005 and still works in 2008 R2 CU7. We still need a declarative way to influence these dependencies at design time.

20. SSRS generation on MOSS causes Globals!ReportName and Root of Document Map to behave differently

Reports consuming Globals!ReportName generate with mixed case and no file extension in Visual Studio and on a SSRS stand alone instance. When executed on a MOSS instance Globals!ReportName generate in lower case and the file extension is included.

Reports using a Document Map generate a root node with mixed case in Visual Studio and on a SSRS stand alone instance. When executed on a MOSS instance the root node of the document map generates in lower case.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Oct 29 2007 10:15AM=-=>

Thanks for reporting this issue. We are considering fixing it for a future release of Reporting Services.

<=-=Jul 14 2009 4:10PM=-=>

Hi Ben,

I am not sure if you are still following this issue. I am investigating this issue right now. I was not able to reproduce the problem you reported about everything in lower case. It looks like the casing of the report name reflect those in the url used to access the report. Can you check if the report name in the url was also in lower case when you did you test on MOSS?

Thanks! James, July 14, 2009

<=-=Jul 27 2009 5:01AM=-=>

I am no longer working with that particular system but I will attempt to reproduce the results and see if the URL is all in lower case or mixed case.

Thanks,
    Ben

<=-=Jul 27 2009 5:14AM=-=>

Yes…

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base