SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SQLCMD crashes on multiple COMPUTE BY clauses

When you run a query with multiple COMPUTE BY clauses, SQLCMD crashes. The problem happens both when I connect to SQL 2005 and SQL 2000 and is thus not an engine bug. Furthermore, the issue does not happen with my own client program that uses SNAC, so this appears to be SQLCMD specific.

Credits to Paul Nielson and Tony Green who produced the original repro.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Instalation of Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition

My instalation process has failed. SQL Server 2005 Express Edition, which is available with Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2, can not be installed on my computer. Even after my installation of VS 2005 was completed i was not able to add SQL Server - the same error occurec.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Unknown properties generated by Package Configuration Wizard

The Package Configuration Wizard in Integration Services does not properly create the EnumeratorProperties for the Foreach Loop Container

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Unable to install sql server 2005, fails at the end

Fails to install at the end, I allowed the bug report to be sent to Microsoft but can't remember the details.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Jun 22 2005 8:27AM=-=>

We’d need more info to investigate this. Specifically, we’d need Setup logs to proceed. If you have them, please reopen this bug and attach them. Otherwise we’ll look at the Watson failure but not correlate it to this report.

5. Mgmt Studio gets unhandled exception in Schema changes report

Tihs is an issue for which I have difficulties to provide a repro. I cannot submit the script for the database it happened with, at least not in this open forum. But since it forced me to kill Mgmt Studio, I still like to report it.

I was looking at the "Schema Changes History" in this database that I recently had built from script. This is a large database with over 800 tables and 3700 stored procedures. I wanted to look at the entry for some stored procedure, and clicked the Plus icon for it. When nothing happened, I kept…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Jun 21 2005 7:27AM=-=>

Erland,

Thanks for reporting this. I was not able to repro this issue. It’s possible that we can’t repro this because it was fixed in the meantime as some problems related to report rendering have been fixed since the build you have went out. If you see it again, can you save the contents of the unhandled exception message box and add it to this bug?

thanks,
    Jesse Hersch

<=-=Jun 21 2005 12:03PM=-=>

Erland,

Thanks for reporting this. I was not able to repro this issue. It’s possible that we can’t repro this because it was fixed in the meantime as some problems related to report rendering have been fixed since the build you have went out. If you see it again, can you save the contents of the unhandled exception message box and add it to this bug?

thanks,
    jesseh

6. Several scripting issues

Several issues with scripting. (All tasks /Generate scripts in
    Mgmt Studio.) There are two zip archives, one for a very simple
    database scripttest, and for a somewhat more complex database
    abaperls. Different exhibits in the two databases.

In this text GSDO refers to the scripting option "Generate Scripts for
    Dependent Objects".

scripttest.zip includes:
    - scripttest-create.sql - how to create the database.
    - scripttest.jpg - my scripting options.
    - scripttest-script.sql - the generated script.

abaperls.zip includes:
    - abaperls-create.sql - how to create the database (you will have to
    add CREATE DATABASE and USE)
    - abaperls-script1.jpg/sql - First set of scripting options…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 1 2005 2:39PM=-=>

All issues should be fixed.

<=-=Jul 26 2005 1:57PM=-=>

postponed

<=-=Jul 27 2005 3:03PM=-=>

Hello there
    Thanks for reporting this issue [Extra USE statements when scripting – 390395]

Our feature team has decided to fix this in a future release.

Thanks for your time
    [Venkat]

<=-=Jul 30 2005 3:57PM=-=>

Could you please clarify what you have fixed and what you have postponed?

<=-=Aug 1 2005 4:04PM=-=>

Hi Erland,
    Thank you for your bug report regarding the various issues with the generate script wizard. We are postponing the fix needed to correct the problem with the multiple USE statements as part of your 4th point in the bug report. All of the other items should be fixed in the next CTP release.
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Mar 31 2006 7:24AM=-=>

Quick update. We are placing this bug report under consideration for SP2.

<=-=May 29 2006 12:52AM=-=>

Thank…

7. Multi-value doesn't seem to work

multi-value parameters do not seem to work. Selecting all values and running the report does work, bringing back all values; but selecting only one value seems to bring back all values again, not just the value that was selected. This happens both in VS 2005 designer and report manager.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Unknown file type error during installation

I am getting unknown file type when trying to install the beta version of SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition. I got the copy at TechEd 205.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 20 2005 8:51AM=-=>

Thank you for reporting the problm. We need more information to help us troubleshoot the probelm. When are you seeing the error (e.g. when you put in the CD, during the setup dialogs, when the files are being copied, etc)? Does the error msg tell you which file is an unknown type?

9. Error trying to view reports about database in SQL Server Management Studio

I'm receiving an error when trying to view any reports whiled drilled down to the database level in the SQL Server Management studio window. I haven't installed the Reporting Services, mentioned because it might be related. But when I try to view a report in SSMS I get the following error. "The report definition for report 'Databases.rdl' has not been specified Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 20 2005 4:33PM=-=>

Thank you for reporting this. This issue has been fixed already in internal builds, you will have the fix for the RTM release.

<=-=Jun 20 2005 6:27PM=-=>

Microsoft comments: Thank you for reporting this. This issue has been fixed already in internal builds, you will have the fix for the RTM release.

10. Unable to use CONNX OLE DB driver with SQL 2005

Unable to use CONNX OLE DB driver for DTS

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 17 2005 11:51AM=-=>

We need more info. What’s the backend data source type? Is it SQL Server? Can you give us your contact email?

<=-=Jun 27 2005 1:03PM=-=>

We really need more information before we can pursue this further. Please provide a adequate information to resolve the issue.

<=-=Aug 11 2005 7:31PM=-=>

The backend is a CONNX Data Dictionary. So the Data source is CONNX (CDD) file. We are trying to import them to SQL Server 2005. This works in SQL Server 2000 using DTS. That is the current work around for the problem.

My email id is chaksreddy@hotmail.com

-Thanks
    Chakri

<=-=Oct 31 2008 12:11PM=-=>

We have now closed this issue, if you require further assistance, please let us know.

Thanks

11. User defined function in SELECT clause incorrectly forces table scan

sql server incorrectly ignores indexes (performs table scan) when user defined function is specified in SELECT clause

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 14 2005 10:43AM=-=>

Using the latest server bits and the CTP15 build, I was not able to repro the problem using the repro script.
    Were there any
    . other steps in the repro process?
    . server settings that may be relevant?
    . traceflags on?

<=-=Jun 14 2005 11:51AM=-=>

Not exactly sure which release of Yukon.
    @@version value of instance exhibiting problem is:
    Microsoft SQL Server 2005 – 9.00.1116 (Intel X86)
    Apr 9 2005 20:56:37
    Copyright © 1988-2004 Microsoft Corporation
    Beta Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 1)

The repro script is complete and should reveal the problem (on the version above). No special settings on our instance (accepted defaults thru software installation process); Traceflags??? not familiar with them but don’t think they’re relevant.

If you can’t reproduce, I’ll presume it’s fixed in the latest version.

<=-=Jun 14 2005 4:15PM=-=>

Looks like a resolved issue…

12. Restore Down does not work

When I try to Restore Down (as opposed to Minimize or Maximize) the Main Window of BI Dev Studio, it just minimizes the window. Therefore I cannot move or resize the window.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 16 2005 1:10PM=-=>

We are unable to reproduce this problem. Could you please check if you have any third party window management program installed?

<=-=Jun 20 2005 5:39PM=-=>

We could not repro this problem with current version of SQL 2005

13. sql server 2005 developer version install program is not compatible with the install program of sql server 2005 express version

I installed sql server 2005 express version first. After I got visual studio 2005 3cds, I uninstalled sql server 2005 express version. I found the install program of developer version did not install all the product into my machine, always prompted me that the notification servvice and DTS has been already installed on my machine.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 13 2005 8:54AM=-=>

SQL Editions are supported side-by-side. You’re hitting some other problem. Please attach the setup log files. You can find them in: Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\log\files\*.log. You can zip the files before attaching them.

14. Management Console when deleting a SQL user from a database

Console crashes when you click on a deleted user login from database

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 11 2005 3:34PM=-=>

I tried this in the June CTP:
    First I browsed the list of database users in the Object Explorer, then I dropped one of the users from the Query Window. Then I double-clicked that user. The error message I got was “The database user is not valid”, which is the message I would expect.

Thus, it appears that this issue is fixed.

<=-=Jun 20 2005 10:15AM=-=>

Thanks for taking the time to report this problem. This defect appears to be fixed in recent builds.

15. Build cleanup wizard doesn't work!

The build cleanup wizard on June CTP doesn't work. It keeps on saying that I still have VS 2005 and SQL 2005 components.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Link broken (June CTP)

The download link off of the Microsft Download site is broke (the actual file location is not found.)

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Error then try to use output on table with computed column and instead off trigger

Then try to use output clause in DML operator on table with computed column and enabled instead off trigger on same DML, the server rise error: Internal Query Processor Error: The query processor could not produce a query plan. For more information, contact Customer Support Services.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Method calls on instances returned by recursive calls to UDF

It appears that calling the methods of an XML instance returned by an UDF that returns XML generates an unexpected and fatal deadlock

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 8 2005 5:44PM=-=>

Kent,

Thank you for your report.

I’m wondering if you might be able to give me some more information about the circumstances in which you encountered the deadlock/error. The report states that you were calling XML methods against the result of an UDF that’s called recursively. The bug report references an attached script; however, I don’t see any script attached to the bug. If you still have the repro script, could you send me a copy? If not, could you help me with some insight into the repro that would assist me in writing a new one?

What type of UDF? T-SQL UDF or CLR UDF?
    Was it a T-SQL UDF that called itself, or were you using a recursive common table expression (CTE)?
    Was it typed XML?
    Were any tables involved and did you use any…

19. Unknown Error installing - April Microsoft SQL Server 2005 CTP 9.00.1116

Tried several times, simply get unknown error message

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 6 2005 8:24AM=-=>

My bad, I just saw the log files. The isssue shows up in the Core log file. There is an issue with WMI on your machine. WMI is required for SQL Server Setup to run. "Article: WMI Service Requirement, Result: Error
    Description: Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) is not functioning properly. Further checks cannot be performed. Action: Please make sure Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) is functioning properly.
    The SQL Server System Configuration Checker cannot be executed due to WMI configuration on the machine HP29674251632 Error:2147749891 (0×80041003).
    "

20. Error 29579

Error 29579 while installing Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services CTP.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base