SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Reporting Services Error after applying SQL2005 sp1

After applying Sql server 2005 Service Pack 1, I get the following error when trying to access reporting services from a web browser:

The version of the report server database is either in a format that is not valid, or it cannot be read. The found version is 'C.0.8.43'. The expected version is 'C.0.8.40'. To continue, update the version of the report server database and verify access rights. (rsInvalidReportServerDatabase)

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 1

<=-=May 19 2006 5:24PM=-=>

We have not seen this issue internally. The error message you provided is interesting in 2 ways:
    1) it indicates the report server database was upgraded but the server was not
    2) it is very similar to an error message that does occur periodically
    I’ll try to explain this below:
    If the error is that the database is C.0.8.43 but C.0.8.40 is the expected version, this indicates likely that you are working in a scale-out (web farm) deployment. in this case you must upgrade each report server in the scale-out to SP1. Alternatively, you may be using an existing database for a different report server. In this case ensure the report server has been upgraded.

The error we see more often is that the database version is C.0.8.40 but the expected version is C.0.8.43. This can occur with SP1. I have a blog post…

2. Transfer SQL Server Objects Task between 2 dbo databases but with a login on one server.

On our shared servers, all the tables are owned by the DBO user. But we login to the server with a different username, say, �mylogin�. When I try and copy objects, I get an error that says �[Transfer SQL Server Objects Task] Error: Table �table� does not exist at the source. �

Why? Because it runs a query on the sysobjects table to get all tables owned by the login you�re using to access the server. Which seems kindof dumb to me. But whatever. So let�s say I then change the ownership of the table to mylogin, so that [mylogin].[table]…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Aug 15 2006 11:43AM=-=>

Hi Gaelmart,

We were not able to repro this issue again. However, we cannot be certain that we were able to recreate the same environment you did.

The repro steps you gave are a bit ambiguous and leads to this uncertainty. However, I am going to close this bug as ‘No Repro’ at this time. I do encourage you to reopen this issue if you are currently seeing the same behavior. If you do reopen it, please include the scripts to create the databases, detailed step by step instructions, and the package as well. This will ensure that we are both seeing the same thing.

On behalf of the SQL Team, thank you for taking the time and trouble to log this issue with us. We are very privileged to have a community consisting of individuals as involved as you.

Terrence Nevins
    SQL Server…

3. Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Error message opening template under source control

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.1399.06 (Intel X86)

Oct 14 2005 00:33:37 

Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation
    Standard Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 1)

Visual SourceSafe

We have custom SQL boiler plate templates for our dev group. We store in a version control library. When we open one of the templates from SSMS, we get the error below. The template still opens and we can work and save as something else, which is what we want. However, this exception is thrown everytime.

It is a nuisance. Is this a bug that will be fixed?

TITLE: Microsoft

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Database mail stops working after applying SP1

After applying SP1, any attempt to use Database Mail results in the following. Another non-SP1 instance on the same server works correctly.

Date 5/4/2006 11:46:00 AM
    Log Database Mail (Database Mail Log)

Log ID 161
    Process ID 5052
    Last Modified 5/4/2006 11:46:00 AM
    Last Modified By CAI-DOMAIN\SQL

1) Exception Information

Exception Type: Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlIMail.Server.Common.BaseException
    Message: The read on the database failed. Reason: Failed to load Msxmlsql.dll.
    Data: System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal
    TargetSite: Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlIMail.Server.Objects.QueueItem GetQueueItemFromCommand(System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand)
    HelpLink: NULL
    Source: DatabaseMailEngine

StackTrace Information

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlIMail.Server.DataAccess.QueueDataReader.GetQueueItemFromCommand(SqlCommand c)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlIMail.Server.DataAccess.QueueDataReader.GetQueueData(Int32 receiveTimeoutSec)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlIMail.IMailProcess.QueueItemProcesser.GetDataFromQueue(DataAccessAdapter da, Int32 lifetimeMinimumSec)

[many replicas]

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 10 2006 5:24PM=-=>

Hi Sjoerd Verweij,

Thanks for reporitng this.

Our tests shows they do work after SP1 installation.
    We will try to see whether we could repro this in our lab. If it repros, we will work on to get this addressed for future service pack.

Did you try restarting DBMail service and see whether it works ?

Thanks,
    Gops Dwarak

<=-=May 11 2006 9:32AM=-=>

The server gets rebooted nightly. Perhaps the issue is multiple instances? Would the SP1 setup logs help?

<=-=May 24 2006 10:12AM=-=>

Hi Sjoerd Verweij,

We could not repro in our lab.

We would appreciate if you can provide more information on below
    1. What is the setup env ? You are mentioning multiple instances, How may instances and what OS and any addiiotnal information would help us to try to narrow down the issue
    2. Can you please check for this…

5. Calendar control always accept date in MM/dd/yyyy format

Calendar control in Report parameter page gives an error when the selected date is in dd/MM/yyyy format.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=May 19 2006 4:52PM=-=>

We need some more information before proceeding with evaluating this issue:
    What tool were you using when this occurred – was it Report Manager or Management Studio. In general, Report Manager uses the input format based on your Accept Language header set by your browser. This header is set in IE using the Tools —> Internet Options —> Lanaguges button. If you are using Management studio, the input language should be senstive to the OS regional settings. Also, can you provide the values you tried in the repsective options based on the tool you used. Thank you.

<=-=May 19 2006 5:32PM=-=>

Microsoft comments: We need some more information before proceeding with evaluating this issue:
    What tool were you using when this occurred – was it Report Manager or Management Studio. In general, Report Manager uses the input format based on your Accept Language header…

6. cannot connect to named instance across domains

I have 2 instances running on a remote server which is in domain Remote.MyCompany.com. Default instance is Sql2000. Named instance is Sql2005. If I try to connect from my local server, which is in domain HQ.MyCompany.com to the Sql2005 instance on the remote server, I get an error indicating that the instance cannot be found. I can successfully connect to the Sql2000 instance, but receive connection error when connecting with managment studio.

Note: I can successfully connect to the named instance from any other server in the remote domain.

I tried creating an alias in Configuration Manager, but when using…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 9 2006 1:08PM=-=>

I assume that sqlbrowser is running on your remote machine and UDP port 1434 is in the exception list if you have firewall on.
    Otherwise, please start sqlbrowser and put UDP port 1434 into firewall’s exception list. You will also need to put TCP ports for both sql instances into exception list.

Is there company wide firewall between two domains that block UDP port 1434?

Do you have IPSEC running on any of the machine?

When you configure alias, you need to configure the TCP port number for your named instance so that it won’t always connect to the default instance. But for investigation, please delete all alias at this moment.

Thanks,

<=-=May 15 2006 1:24PM=-=>

Hi KMarti,
    We haven’t heard back from you since our last response so we’ll assume that you were able to resolve the problem and we’ll close this bug…

7. Cannot Import Access 2003

In an attempt to workaround an earlier error (aslo reported as a bug here) I imported Excel into Access 2003.

I the attempted to import the access DB into SQL Server 2005, but this failed.

The error details are below.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 9 2006 4:44PM=-=>

Hugo,
    Do you have SSIS (Sql Server Integration Services) installed on your machine?

To check you can go to
    Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\DTS\Binn folder and check if DtsConn.dll file is there.

If it is there try to register it (regsvr32 DtsConn.dll) and see if that helps.

8. datasource must be cube admin to generate report model

When you use the generate model feature on an Analysis Services datasource in Report Manager, the username the datasource runs under must have admin permissions for the cube database or the generate command will fail.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=May 18 2006 9:48AM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. This is already under consideration to be changed in the next relase. Currently the user creating the model must have DB admin rights (not necessarily server admin). After the model is created, the datasource can be changed to use the credentials of a user who merely has read rights. The current reqs are because the model generation needs to get access to info that is only available to a DB admin, and therefore creating the model needs same rights as creating the DB. Relaxing these requirements on the server is the item under consideration for the next release.

9. Can't update the record in the table view in the SQL Server Management Studio if field names contain "." (dot/s).

As a business policy we have had certain table field names containing "." (dot), example: "aware.aided.cola". In the old Enterprise Manager's table view grid I was able to do a quick record update. In the current version of SQL Server Management Studio I get the following error: "The column preffix doesn't match with a table name or alias name used in the query". In order to do a simple update I have to write a full query manually instead of simply modifying the table in the grid view.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=May 8 2006 8:44AM=-=>

Quick update. We are placing this bug report under consideration for SP2.

<=-=May 8 2006 12:28PM=-=>

We have determined that this issue has already been addressed and will be available in a future service pack.

<=-=May 8 2006 12:36PM=-=>

We have determined that this issue has already been addressed and will be available in a future service pack.

10. Corrupt graphics redraw in Management Studio when resizing window.

When maximising or resizing Management studio the query window and results windows do not redraw correctly.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 26 2006 9:40AM=-=>

Hi Dave,

Unfortunately, we were not able to reproduce this problem. Please, feel free
    to reactivate the bug if you have any additional information on the repro.

Thanks,
    Oscar Naim
    SQL Server
    Program Manager

<=-=Apr 7 2011 9:04AM=-=>

I am getting this error due to display fusion program.

11. Paging when data has been rolled up causes JavaScript Error

If a report runs to more than one page when fiirst displayed and the user then collapses data areas and then moves to page 2 a javascript error is raised

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Oct 17 2006 9:12AM=-=>

We were unable to repro this with a modified version of the Territory Sales sample report on a pre-release build of SQL Server 2005 SP2.

The viewer still shows the navigation option to go to page 2, which is different that the customer’s expected result, but this is by design since the page count is fixed at processing time. But when we select page 2, we don’t get any javascript error.

12. SP1 Failure on Database & Analysis Services

When installing SP1 the status on Database & Analysis Services is set to Failure. I have used both Windows & SQL authentication.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 4 2006 9:32AM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. For us to investigate, could you please send us the log files located at windir\hotfix?

Thank You,
    Peter Saddow

<=-=Jun 3 2008 9:35AM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. For us to investigate, could you please send us the log files located at windir\hotfix?

Thank You,
    Peter Saddow

13. SSAS Error "Internal error: An unexpected exception occured." when creating aggregations

This error occur on Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 when working with Analysis Services cubes and creating aggregations.

With this error no aggregation at all is created, making the cube VERY slow.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Poor query performance with: set statistics time on (SQL2K5)

The query become very slow when setting statistice time on

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Validating Data Flow Task never completes

When opening a SSIS project, VS2005 status bar says 'Validating Data Flow Task'. This does not complete, and no user intervention is possible other than to kill the program in Task Manager. Clicking on any part of the control surface in VS 2005 results in a message saying that VS 2005 is busy.

The data flow task in this case had previously worked, and the DSN's in the SSIS were accessible (from Access, for instance, as attached tables, or in SQL Server 2005 Studio.)

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Msg 601 - Could not continue scan with NOLOCK due to data movement.

I am getting the above error when rebuilding a primary key on a table. The specific code running that returns this is below - I can rebuild the PK as nonclustered and it works fine. I can also rebuild it as clustered and specify MAXDOP=1 and ONLINE=OFF and it works. (many thanks to John Bell in the MSDN forum) if you search for msg 601 there you can get the entire discussion. basically we delete/insert large amounts of data each night and we first drop the PKs and then recreate them. I have changed them to be nonclustered to avoid…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Unable to install SQL Server 2005 Express

Every time I try to install SQL Server 2005 Express, it fails. I tried to install using the version included with Visual Basic Express 2005, then again using the stand-alone executable, then I tried again using the SQL Server Express with Advanced Services. Each time, I get the same error.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 2 2006 9:40AM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. Please reactive this issue and supply us with the setup log files located at windir\hotfix so we can investigate this issue.

Thank You,
    Peter Saddow

<=-=Jun 3 2008 9:35AM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. Please reactive this issue and supply us with the setup log files located at windir\hotfix so we can investigate this issue.

Thank You,
    Peter Saddow

18. Diagram data type column is showing condensed data type

When using a custom view for a diagram, both the condensed data type and data type show the same thing.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. When not shown on a first page, page header still consumes space

When page header is enabled for the report, but disabled for the first page (checkbox unchecked in Report Properties), first page of the report output has blank space in place of the header.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. SSAS Dimension process fails with unexpected error MDDiscretizer::GetBucketForValue

Processing a dimension containing attributes with DiscretizationMethod=Clusters sometime fails with this error:

Internal error: Unexpected error. File 'mddiscretizer.cpp', row 1532, function 'MDDiscretizer::GetBucketForValue'.

It happens only with some set of data.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Nov 20 2007 1:43PM=-=>

Hi Marco,

The error is raised because we got a single 0-width bucket (both the end points were the same). We now check for this condition so you should now see an error message that there aren’t enough discreet values to bucket.

Cheers,
    Richard

<=-=Nov 20 2007 2:04PM=-=>

Can you tell me if it has been addressed in SQL 2005 (from what build?) or in SQL2008?
    Thank you.

Marco

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base