SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express raises errors on inline comments.

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express raises errors on inline comments on lines like:

CREATE PROCEDURE SampleStoredProcedure
    P1 int, -- Param 1
    P2 int -- Param 2

AS

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 1

<=-=May 27 2006 1:25PM=-=>

This code worked for me:

CREATE PROCEDURE SampleStoredProcedure
    @P1 int, — Param 1
    @P2 int — Param 2

AS

SELECT P1 = @P1, P2 = @P2
    go
    EXEC SampleStoredProcedure 47, 11
    go
    DROP PROCEDURE SampleStoredProcedure

Could you supplement the bug report with a complete repro that demonstrates the problem?

<=-=May 30 2006 2:44PM=-=>

Hi Andy,
    Thank you for your feedback. We are unable to reproduce this in build 09.00.2047 – the SSMSE RTM build that we shipped with SP1.
    Thanks,
    Ramesh Singh

2. Database Mail

I put the Database Mail Log entry in the "Actual Results" field.

People noticed they were not getting emails, so I used "sysmailhelpqueuesp" and it says the "state" is "NOTIFIED". I checked "sysmailunsentitems" and there are 34 unsent emails. I cannot figure out how to get database mail sending emails again.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 31 2006 1:08PM=-=>

Hi Thomas Griffin,

Thanks for your post . This looks like more like support issue and not bug.
    Investigation can get more info if it si a bug, but at this stage this looks more like support issue.

I am closing this bug because there is no repro steps associated with this issue. If you have consistent
    repro steps please feel free to reactivate this bug with repro steps attached.

Please feel free to contact PSS for helping you on this support issue

Thanks,
    Gops Dwarak

3. SQL 2005 missing stored procedure sys.sp_MSadduser_implicit_ntlogin

We found that in a piece of custom code when exclusive lock fails we try to call stored proc �sys.spMSadduserimplicit_ntlogin� but as it does not exist in database, we will get error that stored proc does not exist.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 25 2006 7:16PM=-=>

The sp_MSadduser_implicit_ntlogin procedure is an undocumented procedure and is not executable in Yukon. The related matter of why sp_addrolemember tries to call it is under investigation. Thank you for the information to help us determine a resolution.

<=-=Jun 30 2006 2:26PM=-=>

Closing this issue because no defect was uncovered based on the information discussed so far.
    The procedure sys.sp_MSadduser_implicit_ntlogin is for internal use only and cannot be called directly by user-defined code.
    If you think there is an issue here, please provide additional details describing it and reactivate this item.
    Thank you.

4. Unattendet Installation doesn't install Reporting Services

Starting an unattended installation with the setting parameter RSCONFIGURATION=DEFAULT (on an named instance) doesn't install and configure the reporting services.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Jun 5 2006 3:00PM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback. Please ensure IIS is installed. Reporting Services requires IIS. If this does not resolve your issue, please let us know and supply us with the log files located at programfiles\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG

Thank You,
    Peter Saddow

5. SQL 2005 SP1 Database Engine update failure

The SP1 installation fails at the Engine update step. All other components of the update completed successfully. The log file indicates a problem obtaining update and version information for files that exist in the MSSQL\binn directory. The files it's complaining about exist, and I can read them. I applied the update as myself, a member of the local admin group. I'm in a group called OU Admins in active directory.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 5 2006 3:16PM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. Please supply us with the setup log files located at %programfiles%D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG so we can continue to investigate this issue.

Thank You,
    Peter Saddow

6. Visual Studio DVD problem

The file SQLEXPR.exe is not present on the DVD. I have overcome the problem by downloading direct from your site.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. SSIS package crashes but no error returned

SSIS package, containing a nested FOR_EACH loop sometimes crashes inside the loop,
    sqldumper starts generating a dump, but no error is returned to the user interface. The message is "Package execution completed" - as if everything`s OK, though package crashed somewhere in the middle.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 30 2006 5:00PM=-=>

Can you please supply the package that is encountering this problem, or a simplified version of it? Also, can you please supply the data that you’re using, or a detailed description of it, including the datatypes, the nature of the data, and the amount of data?

8. Wrong edition of books online

I recently downloaded and installed SQL Server 2005 SP1 and the April 2006 BOL. Having done this I now find that my books online are all for SQL 2005 Express. Even if I choose to filter by SQL 2005 I still only see Express information.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 5 2006 12:52PM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback. I have been unable to reproduce this issue. I have a few followup questions:

1. Is it possible to access non-Express topics through the Contents, Index, or Search windows? Or does it appear that the rest of the content is completely missing?
    2. Is it possible to access all topics in Books Online from the Books Online top-level node in the table of contents in Visual Studio Help?
    3. Are approximately 100 files installed to \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Books\1033? (This would be the correct number.)

<=-=Jul 1 2006 6:38AM=-=>

Thanks,

In answers to your questions are:

1. No, I could only access Express data
    2. I could see all topics listed but only access Express data

I actually managed to resolve this issue by downloading the update (to the update, i.e. the very latest version of the BOL upgrade) from…

9. 0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=May 19 2006 3:32PM=-=>

Hi,

The post you refer to in this issue appently discusses the operation of the Filter dialog in Report Designer, not Report Builder. Since neither “Report Builder” nor “Report Designer” is mentioned explicitly in the post, could you please confirm you mean for this bug to be about “Report Designer”, not “Report Builder”?

Thanks,
    Albert

<=-=May 19 2006 3:40PM=-=>

Hi,

The post you refer to in this issue appently discusses the operation of the Filter dialog in Report Designer, not Report Builder. Since neither “Report Builder” nor “Report Designer” is mentioned explicitly in the post, could you please confirm you mean for this bug to be about “Report Designer”, not “Report Builder”?

Thanks,
    Albert

<=-=Sep 27 2006 4:42PM=-=>

Didn’t hear back from customer.

10. RU: SQL Server 2005 (Incorrect adding domain login through Search button)

I've found bug report concerning this problem, where you wrote: "Our testers have been unable to repro the problem." I would like to describe the bug with illustrated step-by-step repro (see attachments).

Link to report: http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/viewfeedback.aspx?feedbackid=72992181-8642-4056-9d40-601d07b55366

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 18 2006 9:00AM=-=>

Thank you for your bug report regarding the login dialog. We achknowledge the behavior as you described and we will consider this for SP2.

<=-=Oct 25 2007 6:49AM=-=>

Thanks you for your bug report regarding the login dialog. We could not able to repro this bug in our lab environment.

11. JDBC 2005 1.0: Adding a ConnectionEventListener to a PooledConnection causes ClassCastException in SQLServerPooledConnection.notif

I use SQLServerConnectionPoolDataSource to create PooledConnection objects for communicating with SQL Server 2000, and register a ConnectionEventListener using addConnectionEventListener. When an error occurs using the connection, connectionErrorOccurred should be called in the registered listener, but instead I get the following stack trace:

java.lang.ClassCastException

at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerPooledConnection.notifyEvent(Unknown Source)

at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.notifyPooledConnection(Unknown Source)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.DBComms.transmit(Unknown Source)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.IOBuffer.sendCommand(Unknown Source)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.sendExecute(Unknown Source)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.doExecuteQuery(Unknown Source)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.executeQuery(Unknown Source)

Getting the connectionClosed event works. The same code was used successfully with SQL Server 2000 JDBC Driver SP4.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jan 2 2007 9:12AM=-=>

I mailed the customer did not hear from the customer. Let us resolve by design, as my efforts point to a customer issue here. I could not reproduce the problem the customer describing, as I suspected this could be a problem due to the way his class is implemented. This looks like a problem with the ConnectionListener code of the customer. Pinging to get the code for this. Essentially what happens here is that the customer has to provide us a object of type ConnectionEventListener in addConnectionEventListener. We will cast this object later in the notification to ConnectionEventListener. If the user does not provide an object of the type ConnectionEventListener the error customer seeing will be thrown.

<=-=Jan 2 2007 9:34AM=-=>

I discussed this issue with Mr. Mugunthan Mugundan of Microsoft a couple of months ago. The ClassCastException issue was resolved in v1.1 of…

12. Moving system databases data and log files to separate directories makes Service Pack 1 fail

I have had a lot of problems installing Service Pack 1 for SQL Server 2005 and I have found a bug in the installation. The service pack installation of the "Database Services" component fails and I get the following two error messages in the file SQL9HotfixKB913090sqlrunsql.msp.log:

Failed to copy file "D:\SQLDATA\INSTANCENAME\mssqlsystemresource.ldf" to "D:\SQLDATA\INSTANCENAME\mssqlsystemresource1.ldf". Error 2

Failed to copy file "D:\SQLDATA\INSTANCENAME\distmdl.ldf" to "D:\SQLDATA\INSTANCENAME\distmdl1.ldf". Error 2

The problem seems to be that we have moved the data and logfiles for all the system databases to separate directories (mdf-file to D:\SQLDATA&lt;INSTANCENAME> and ldf-files to D:\SQLLOG&lt;INSTANCENAME>). We also change registry…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Installation Failure with SP1: logon error

When running SP1 update (multiple attempts), errors received when attempting to upgrade database core.

Error received when attempting to connect to SQL Server: Starting SQL Server gives a logon error. Services started successfully previously.

Looks like the upgrade is resetting priveleges of the service account

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 17 2006 2:15AM=-=>

Error after another run after manually restoring privileges (log on as a service right, and change password): “Unable to install Windows Installer MSP file”

<=-=May 18 2006 9:56AM=-=>

Prior to running the service pack was the SQL Server service (MSSQLServer) running? Are you only having problems with the SQL Server service? Can the service be started before running the service pack? If so, what type of user account are you using for the Database Service? If no, try using a different account.

Thanks,
    Peter Saddow

<=-=May 19 2006 1:24PM=-=>

Please provide answers to the previous questions so we can continue to investigate.

Thank You,
    Peter Saddow

<=-=Sep 13 2006 1:33PM=-=>

Please provide answers to the previous questions so we can continue to investigate.

Thank You,
    Peter Saddow

14. Import Flat file containing special character

Hi,

I am trying to import a flat file which is having a special character "{" using Import Wizard.

I am getting the following error

I tried with different column length which can accomodate the text, but still getting the error.

Please fix it.

� Error 0xc02020a1: Data Flow Task: Data conversion failed. The data conversion for column "Column 0" returned status value 4 and status text "Text was truncated or one or more characters had no match in the target code page.".
    (SQL Server Import and Export Wizard)

� Error 0xc020902a: Data Flow Task: The "output column "Column…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 25 2006 3:08PM=-=>

We can’t investigate this issue without more information. Can you please give us the steps you went through when you encountered this problem?

<=-=Dec 7 2007 5:38PM=-=>

Hi,

Since we did not receive any update, we assume this is no longer an issue and will close the case. Please contact us if this is still an issue to you and we will reactivate the case.

Thank you.

15. referenced relationship

I try to add dimension with referenced relationship. I defined everything like explaination in Books online, but when I try to save cube, I always get message:

"Cube 'Cube' cannot be saved because of the following errors:

Errors in the metadata manager. The 'Key' intermediate granularity attribute of the'IntDim'

measures group dimension does not have an attribute hierarchy enabled."

I enabled this attribute hierarchy for Key... but....

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Midnight foolness

Please don't publish that, it's only a confused report. I've just installed Microsoft Server 2003 RR
    and Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Academic Standard succesfully. Then I tried Microsoft SQL Server
    2005 I downloaded as trial. First installation of MSSQL2005 failed to install Books On line and tools.
    Second installation has been succesful. Now everything is ok. The only thing is that I don't remember
    almost anything of ADO and of the few SQL I knew, but I'll have time to review concepts. Now it's
    late and I'll specify better tomorrow what went wrong the first time for MSSQL2005, even if…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Report Manager home page "XML page cannot be displayed"

I am learning from the Microsoft Press book, SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services Step by Step. On page 34, under Vierfying the Installatino, the book suggests opening the default page at http://localhost/Reports. On my computer this fails to display the Report Manager home page. Instead I get the error message, "The XML page cannot be displayed" with further details which you will see in my screenshots. (I also installed a named instance of SQL Server 2005 Express, so my URL is actually http://localhost/Reports$SQLExpress. I don't think this is related to the problem....)

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 19 2006 5:32PM=-=>

We need some more information to diagnose this issue. Firstly, your report indicates an attached screen shot of the error. I don’t believe a screen shot was actually added. Do you have it?
    Secondly, what is the version of ASP.Net set for your report server virtual directory. You can get this in IIS manager on the ASP.Net tab in the Properties dialog for a virutal directory.

Thanks.

<=-=Nov 2 2007 8:01PM=-=>

Closing as we are unable to reproduce this bug.

18. Flat File Source incorrectly parsing data when using Comma as the column delimiter

Flat File source is incorrectly parsing out data where it is using comma as a column delimiter. This could also affect other delimiters if those delimiters are used as part of the data. I have attached the screen shot of what the Flat File Source does with my case.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 6

<=-=May 24 2006 12:20PM=-=>

This is by design behavior because you have embedded qualifiers. We’re considering improving our text file handling in a future release.

<=-=Dec 5 2007 1:13PM=-=>

Thank you for your submission. This is an update to notify you that this issue has been closed. We appreciate your input and support of the SSIS product.

<=-=Aug 14 2008 3:39PM=-=>

RFC 4180 still not achieved with SQL 2008 RTM. You may also vote here: https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=281398

<=-=Jun 12 2009 10:54AM=-=>

Still open? Come on. Excel and Access can handle this.

<=-=Aug 11 2009 11:40AM=-=>

SQL Server 2008 R2 August CTP Flat File Parser still isn’t capable of importing RFC 4180 compliant csv files. Also Unicode supplementary characters and line breaks aren’t supported with UTF8 files. (Flat File Parser cannot import files with embedded text qualifiers http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=312164)

<=-=Apr 4 2010 1:38PM=-=>

Microsoft posted an update that this…

19. Reporting Services Error after applying SQL2005 sp1

After applying Sql server 2005 Service Pack 1, I get the following error when trying to access reporting services from a web browser:

The version of the report server database is either in a format that is not valid, or it cannot be read. The found version is 'C.0.8.43'. The expected version is 'C.0.8.40'. To continue, update the version of the report server database and verify access rights. (rsInvalidReportServerDatabase)

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 19 2006 5:24PM=-=>

We have not seen this issue internally. The error message you provided is interesting in 2 ways:
    1) it indicates the report server database was upgraded but the server was not
    2) it is very similar to an error message that does occur periodically
    I’ll try to explain this below:
    If the error is that the database is C.0.8.43 but C.0.8.40 is the expected version, this indicates likely that you are working in a scale-out (web farm) deployment. in this case you must upgrade each report server in the scale-out to SP1. Alternatively, you may be using an existing database for a different report server. In this case ensure the report server has been upgraded.

The error we see more often is that the database version is C.0.8.40 but the expected version is C.0.8.43. This can occur with SP1. I have a blog post…

20. Transfer SQL Server Objects Task between 2 dbo databases but with a login on one server.

On our shared servers, all the tables are owned by the DBO user. But we login to the server with a different username, say, �mylogin�. When I try and copy objects, I get an error that says �[Transfer SQL Server Objects Task] Error: Table �table� does not exist at the source. �

Why? Because it runs a query on the sysobjects table to get all tables owned by the login you�re using to access the server. Which seems kindof dumb to me. But whatever. So let�s say I then change the ownership of the table to mylogin, so that [mylogin].[table]…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Aug 15 2006 11:43AM=-=>

Hi Gaelmart,

We were not able to repro this issue again. However, we cannot be certain that we were able to recreate the same environment you did.

The repro steps you gave are a bit ambiguous and leads to this uncertainty. However, I am going to close this bug as ‘No Repro’ at this time. I do encourage you to reopen this issue if you are currently seeing the same behavior. If you do reopen it, please include the scripts to create the databases, detailed step by step instructions, and the package as well. This will ensure that we are both seeing the same thing.

On behalf of the SQL Team, thank you for taking the time and trouble to log this issue with us. We are very privileged to have a community consisting of individuals as involved as you.

Terrence Nevins
    SQL Server…

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base