SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Error While Launching SQL 2005 Profiler

Only TrueType Fonts are supported while launching SQL Server 2005 Profiler

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Mar 24 2006 9:32AM=-=>

Thank you for your bug report. We will investigate this for a future service pack.

<=-=Mar 27 2006 4:04PM=-=>

Quick update. We are placing this bug report under consideration for SP2.

<=-=Nov 26 2007 10:47PM=-=>

Closing this as duplicate of another bug that tracks this issue for future release.

Thanks

2. Sql Server 2005 Express / Access97 Conflict

installing the standard ODBC Drivers into Access 97, and installing the (useless) Upsizing Wizard utility from http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/q237980/
    made it impossible to connect to the (running) SQLExpress Service

also, when I went to re-install I tried to skip re-installing Visual Web Developer and Framework, with the result that the Control Panel would not even LET me un-install SQL Server Express anymore ...

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 27 2006 9:48AM=-=>

We are unable to reproduce your problem. When we installed the Access 97 Upsizing Wizard it had no impact on our ability to establish connections to an existing SQLExpress instance using ADO. If you can supply more detailed information about the problems you encountered, including details of applications used and error messages encountered, we will investigate further. Ideally we need complete step-by step instructions so we can be sure we are reproducing your steps exactly.

3. Report-Columns get lost in a subreport

I have a report with two columns. The report renders well and shows the two columns correctly. But when I place these report as a subreport, only one column is shown.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. ExecutePackage Task don't execute packages if "delayvalidation" is set to true in the package to be executed

I need to run a package "A" in which connections are set at run-time. In order to run in with dtexec i have to set DelayValidation (on the package object) to True. With this option set to true in the same package "A" is executed from another package "B" using the ExecutePackage Task, the package "A" don't get executed since the package "B" reports a validation error on package "A".

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Apr 26 2006 2:12PM=-=>

Mauri,

Can you share your package “A” and package “B”? I’m currently unable to reproduce the issue using your Repro Steps and description.

Thanks,
    Patrik

<=-=May 12 2006 11:48AM=-=>

Unfortunately, we weren’t able to reproduce the problem given the details specified. If you are still experiencing the issue please do not hesitate to restart a dialog. Thanks.

5. DHCP Not accessible after installing SQL Server 2005

After a clean installation of windows 2003 server sp1 enterprise (latest updates), if you install sql server 2005 (all items) and restart the server, you are no more able to access the dhcp server (that is still working). The snapin always reportes unable to connect to dhcp server.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. The values for the type column in sys.user_token are incorrectly documented

In the topic "sys.usertoken (Transact-SQL)", the possible values for the type column are documented to be:
    SQL
    USER
    WINDOWSUSER
    WINDOWS
    GROUP
    APPLICATIONROLE
    DATABASE
    ROLE
    CERTIFICATEMAPPEDUSER
    ASYMMETRICKEYMAPPED_USER

However, if we try to read from this view in different scenarios, we will get values like these:
    SQL USER
    ROLE
    USER MAPPED TO CERTIFICATE
    etc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 21 2006 5:56PM=-=>

Thanks for pointing this out! I’ve fixed the format error in the source document. You should see this in the next web update. -willisj

<=-=May 1 2006 1:59AM=-=>

I saw that you replaced the underlines with spaces in Books Online SP1 (apr.2006). But it wasn’t just a formatting error: the text should be different, for example “USER MAPPED TO CERTIFICATE” instead of “CERTIFICATE MAPPED USER”, “ROLE” instead of “DATABASE ROLE”. (you can run the statement I wrote in the “Steps to Reproduce” section to verify this, but should get the correct values by talking to developers team).

Razvan

<=-=May 1 2006 8:12AM=-=>

Hello. I appreciate the feedback. In some of the beta releases the view did return terms with underscores rather than spaces. That has been changed in the view and also in the documentation. Thanks!!…

7. Generated script of a view from SQL Server 2005 Management Studio Express CTP with the 'Script for Server Version' will not run in

Script of a view generated with 'Script for Server Version' to 'SQL Server 2000' option using 'Generate Scripts...' from SQL Server 2005 Management Studio Express CTP will not run in SQL Server 2000. The script is generated with:

IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.views WHERE objectid = OBJECTID(N'[dbo].[v_GroupMembers]'))

and results with "Invalid object name 'sys.views'." when executed in SQL 2000 Query Analyzer

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Mar 24 2006 9:32AM=-=>

Thank you for your bug report. We will investigate this for a future service pack.

<=-=Mar 28 2006 8:44AM=-=>

Quick update. We are placing this bug report under consideration for SP2.

<=-=Apr 11 2006 12:04PM=-=>

Thank you for reporting this. This issue is fixed in the SP1 release of SQL Server Managment Studio Express.

8. Managmen Studio: Objects does not displayed in summary after error

Managment Studio.
    In Summary double click Databases, Database, Tables. When try to open table get an error.
    After error Summary does not display any objects (dbs, tables, views etc).

DB was converted from SQL2000.
    On AdventureWorks all OK.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 23 2006 6:44PM=-=>

Hi gmsalex

We could not repro the problem.

What does it mean "DB was converted from SQL2000?

While trying to repro we copied the Shiloh database to Yukon server by using Copy Database Wizard, and we could not repro it.

Please feel free to activate this bug, if this is consistent repro , with more detailed repro steps of how DB was converted from SQL 2000

Thanks,
    Gops Dwarak

9. UNC file path backups

UNC paths work for backups but not in removing old backup files.

Although you can use a UNC path to backup to a remote server under a service account with rights to access the remote drive. You cannot use the maintenance cleanup task to remove dated backup files using UNC paths.

When creating the path for the folder selection it gives the following error yet it work fine for the backup task.

\webreports\backup\current\
    Cannot access the specified path or file on the server. Verify that you have the necessary security privileges and that the path or file exists.

If you…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 21 2006 3:16PM=-=>

Hi Tim,
    Thanks for reporting this and we could mnot repro it in our lab

We created a maintenance plan with two tasks
    1) Backup adventureworks to \\abc\def\adv.bak
    2) Deletes \\abc\def\adv.bak
    3) We specified that task2 should execute only on success of task1

The file \\abc\def\adv.bak got deleted.

Step 3 is very important because becuase that defines the work flow and executes the task in the right order.

If you still could repro it. Please add detailed repro steps to the bug and reactivate the bug.

Thanks,
    Gops Dwarak

Did customer specify the order of execution?

10. SSIS SMTP Initilise ERROR using Expressions When calling SSIS from Dotnet

Error occurs only if calling SSIS from dotnet "Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime", when using expressions to set SMTP server name, SMTP from address and SMTP to Address .

Error Massage: The result of the expression "@[User::SMTP_ServerName]" on property "SmtpServer" cannot be written to the property. The expression was evaluated, but cannot be set on the property.

If calling SSIS from commandLine, no error.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 20 2006 2:52PM=-=>

Not able to repro. Able to execute a Send Mail Task in a dot net application when passing the SMTP Server as an expression

The dtsx package is configure:
    1) Create a Variable SMTPServer string
    2) Create a Send Mail task with valid To, From and Subject
    3) Create a CM to a valid SMTPServer
    4) Click in the CM manager and from properties\expressions select Connection String with expression @[User::SMTPServer] (Drag and drop the variable value)
    Save the dtsx package

Then using a C# application with Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime;
    string pkg = @"g:\SSIS_SendMailTask.dtsx";
    Application app = new Application();
    Package p = app.LoadPackage(pkg, null);

p.Variables[“SMTPServer”].Value = “K_Exchange_L1”; p.Execute(); if (p.Errors.Count == 0) Console.WriteLine(“Success During Execute”); <=-=Mar 11 2009 2:51AM=-=>

I am also getting this error when running packages from an ASP.Net web app using Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime. The error occurs when using expressions on the Send Mail task,…

11. SSIS EXCEL CONNECTION ERRORS

EXCEL FILES CONNECTION ERROR.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 14 2006 12:44PM=-=>

Thank you for using SQL server 2005 and SSIS
    Apologies but I am not exaclty clear of the problem. Do the connection errors occur when you create more than 1 connection manager for the Excel file, in the same package?
    Or do you have a single connection Mgr that you are using in a loop of some sort.
    Can you please include the erorr text you see?
    Thank you

<=-=Mar 21 2006 3:17PM=-=>

I can not repro the errors by trying out scenarios which have multiple Excel connection in a single pkg or a single Excel connection in a loop. Please reactivate if you can still repro and in that case please send more detailed steps to us.
    Thanks

12. Rubbish error message when I try and run a package that isn't checked out

If you try and run a package that is checked into sourcesafe then you get a rubbish, completely non-descript, error message that doesn't mean anything. You can see it in the attached screenshot.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 21 2006 3:16PM=-=>

We are not able to reproduce this error. Could you provide any information that might affect the scenario so we can repro this?

<=-=Mar 21 2006 5:32PM=-=>

We are not able to reproduce this error. Could you provide any information that might affect the scenario so we can repro this?

<=-=Jun 16 2006 4:32AM=-=>

Yeah, this was when using Visual SourceSafe (v6.0 I think) as our source control system. How did you try and reproduce it? For me it was simply a case of right-clicking on a checked-in package and selecting ‘Execute’.

The project has since migrated to using Team Foundation Server but I’m not sure if the problem occurs there or not. I’ve left the project now so can’t check!

Also, Microsoft Connect doesn’t show the attachment so I can’t see what teh original error message was.

13. Error connecting to remote server when no password is saved

I received this error System.Exception: CryptUnprotectData: Win32 error:-2146893813
    when trying to connect to a remote sql server (outside our network) using sql authentication, but without the password saved. It occurs when double-clicking the Server Registration name in my list of Registered Servers and when I select Object Explorer from its context menu.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 13 2006 4:28PM=-=>

Hi Corgalore ,

We tested in our lab the scenario you have mentioned of not remembering the password during server registration and then selecting to see it in OE. This has expected behavior of prompting for password from connecting through IE and no error is seen.

If you are seeing this consistenlty can you please update the bug with more detailed repro steps and the build number, OS details you are seeing this issue. It will help to narropw down the issue.

Thanks for taking time to report this.
    Gops Dwarak

14. Reporting services --problem exporting to pdf format

We have a problem with the export of reports to pdf, and the viewing of reports on the ReportServer-pages.
    The preview in BI-Studio is correct, but the PDF and the WebView differ from that!
    Spaces and the Euro-Symbol get lost, although everything takes place on the same computer.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Duplicate table created from create script

Somehow, I managed to create a duplicate table with the same owner by using a simple table create script and sqlcmd.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 13 2006 11:40AM=-=>

Thanks for reporting this. However, we cannot possibly help you without repro.
    My educated guess is that you have simple table name under different schema. E.g. foo.tbl1, bar.tbl1.
    Can you share the repro script with us?
    Thanks
    Andrew
    [MSFT]

<=-=Dec 4 2007 11:23AM=-=>

Hi Mat,

We were not able to reproduce this issue. Can you please provide us with your script.

Thanks,
    -Vineet Rao

16. Hyperlink in subscription email has bad characters

For specific subscriptions, text in the subscription hyperlink is overwritten by "! " which breaks the link. This issue is now holding up rollout of Reporting Services to production.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 7 2006 6:12PM=-=>

There is no attachment to this issue. Can you please attach RDL file and example of output?

<=-=Mar 8 2006 9:06AM=-=>

I have added an attachment with the rdl as requested. I have also added the stored parameters from the database and how they are rendered in the url in the email by the email delivery extension where the bug occurs.

<=-=Mar 20 2006 11:36AM=-=>

I have applied the CTP SP1 – however, Reporting Services 9.00.2040.00 still generates subscription emails with breaks in the hyperlink.

<=-=Mar 28 2006 2:36PM=-=>

This seems like a coruption after RS sends the email. Can you please have RS drop the email to the local file system and see if the file is corrupt.

To do this in the RSReportServer.config file set SendUsing to 1 and set the SmtpPickupDirectory to a local directory. If the file is not corrupt…

17. Msg 8624 with Server Running Low on Memory

I attach the SQL Server error log for a development server. As you will see there is a serious stack dump.

Please pass this on to your product team.

The scenario in which it occurred was that there was a large (60GB) database on the server, which wasn't being used.

Queries started displaying the following error:

Msg 8624, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    Internal Query Processor Error: The query processor could not produce a query plan. For more information, contact Customer Support Services.

As soon as I took the large database Offline, the above error didn't occur but the…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 3 2006 9:00AM=-=>

Thank you for reporting this issue. Is this issue reproducible at will by taking the database back online? If yes, will you please let us how the best way to get in contact with you, so that we can collect all the necessary information to understand and resolve the problem? Also, it would be helpful if you could attach one of the dumps that were generated to the bug.

<=-=Mar 13 2006 3:08PM=-=>

Unfortunately we were unable to reproduce the issue based on the information provided. Please see the previous response to this bug.

<=-=Jul 6 2012 1:19AM=-=>

I no longer have access to this system, so I cannot provide you with any further info.

18. log file viewer, wrong date format

Log File Viewer
    Log File Summary
    The date format in main items is correct (02.03.2006)
    The date format in subitems is incorrect (03.02.2006)[month and day in wrong sequence]

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 2 2006 10:36AM=-=>

Hi Rutishauser,
    Thank you for your feedback. This is a tricky scenario. I tested this by switching my regional setting to English(UK) which follows the EU date format. In the logviewer all date values were in dd/mm/yyyy format except for the dates recorded within the Message field. The message field records the info in the default US format however it is transposed appropriately in the viewer for the Date field. The resolution to this issue is partly by design for the message field while it is not repro for the other fields since all of them display in the machines regional setting format.
    I agree that reading the message field could be confusing at times but the value added by this change, if we were to even consider it would be quite small to the effort and the number of places we need to…

19. Design Aggregation Wizard Fails

Get an ugly error with no explanation when running the Deisgn Aggregations Wizard

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Feb 28 2006 6:12PM=-=>

Hi Christian,

Thanks for reporting this issue – we’ll investigate.

Regards,
    Richard Tkachuk (richtk@microsoft.com)

<=-=Mar 3 2006 11:56AM=-=>

Hello Christian,
    Can you tell us what the error message you are seeing is when you run the aggregation design wizard? If you see this error again and can provide the additional technical info (usually available by a button in the lower left corner of the error dialog) it would be very helpful. Also, if you notice any difference between the measure groups for which the wizard works and those for which it produces the error, this would be helpful as well.

Thanks,
    - Matt Carroll (Matt.Carroll@microsoft.com)

<=-=Mar 9 2006 6:06AM=-=>

Couldn’t get back to you earlier as didn’t have active alerts on this.

The error message doesn’t contain any more information other than:
    TITLE: Aggregation Design Wizard
    -—————————————-

20. SQL Server 2005 Evaluation - Won't install - insufficient disk space - tried on multiple machines

tried to instal on multiple machines (W2K, XP Pro) - each time it says 'Insufficient disk space on C' even though there are hundreds of gigs available

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 1 2006 9:24AM=-=>

Thanks for reporting this error. We haven’t seen this before, so we need a bit more information from you. Can you let us know what your disk configuration is (and free space), what you were attempting to install (which features), and what directories (if any) you specified to install into?

We would also need a copy of all log files (just zip them up) from ProgramFiles\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Files.

Thank you,

-Jeffrey Baker

<=-=Jan 18 2007 7:40PM=-=>

I also tried to install SQL Server 2005 Evaluation and received the error message.

There is not enough drive space on C:\ to extract the package.
    I have over 52 gig remainging on the C drive. What gives?

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base