SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Cannot debug script component

Cannot debug a script component, this is contrary to BOL
    Debugging a Script Component
    To debug the code in your Script component, set at least one breakpoint in
    the code. You must close the VSA IDE to run the package. However, when
    package execution enters the Script component, the VSA IDE reopens and
    displays your code in read-only mode. After execution reaches your
    breakpoint, you can examine variable values and step through the remaining
    code.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 14

<=-=Aug 2 2005 10:52AM=-=>

The debugging feature for Script Component, unlike for Script Task, is not available in Yukon release. We will be looking into this for the follow up release. In the meantime, please use debugging strategy similar to what was done in Script transformation in DTS 2000 (i.e. tracing).

Best regards,
    Sergei Ivanov
    Integration Services Development Team

<=-=Nov 25 2011 3:16PM=-=>

This has been around a long, long time and has nothing been done YET?

PLEASE give us debugging in the Script Component!

2. Database mail configuration GUI does not appear to maintain database context

If a Database Mail configuration gui is started on one database and then another is started on a second database server, the first Database Mail configuration gui changes context to the second database.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Linked server gui does not appear to support SQL 2000

Running "EXEC sp_addlinkedserver MYSRV, @srvproduct='Any', @provider='SQLOLEDB', @datasrc=SERVER" produces a provider name of 'SQLOLEDB' in sysservers and allows linking to SQL 2000 databases. However the GUI does not have any options that will set this provider name. The closest is the "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server" which produces a provider name of 'SQLOLEDB.1' which when operated gives the following error.

Query: select * from SERVER.DATABASE.dbo.table
    Result: The OLE DB provider "SQLOLEDB.1" for linked server "SERVER" supplied inconsistent metadata for a column. The column "TableId" (compile-time ordinal 1) of object ""DATABASE"."dbo"."table"" was reported to have a "Incomplete schema-error logic." of…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Jul 28 2005 1:45PM=-=>

Hi Brian,
    Thank you for your bug report regarding the creation of a linked server with SQL 2000. We have made some fixes since the June CTP and can no longer reproduce the problem. The fix should be in the next CTP.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

4. [JDBC SQL SERVER 2005]CallableStatement throws exception on Select statement

When I used the MS Sqlserver 2000 jdbc drivers my java code that had the following query worked fine...

the query looks like

IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sysobjects WHERE id = object_id('db_hash_admin_advice_CoopSinkInterchange')) SELECT 1 ELSE SELECT 0

Now with the 2005 drivers..I get the following exception

com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'SELECT'.
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException.makeFromDatabaseError(Unknown Source)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.IOBuffer.processPackets(Unknown Source)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.getNextResult(Unknown Source)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.sendExecute(Unknown Source)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.doExecuteQuery(Unknown Source)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerPreparedStatement.executeQuery(Unknown Source)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerCallableStatement.executeQuery(Unknown Source)

I don't think the query has a problem as it executes fine in query analyser.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Aug 23 2005 8:20PM=-=>

Hi chhil,

I verified I could reproduce this issue using the SQL Server 2005 JDBC Beta 1 driver.
    Next I verified this issue is fixed in the latest internal build of our driver.

So this will be fixed in the next release of our driver, thanks for your feedback!

Matt

<=-=Oct 29 2007 4:00PM=-=>

Hi chhil,

The latest SQL Server 2005 JDBC driver is available at http://msdn.microsoft.com/data/jdbc. If this issue is still not resolved, please post a new feedback.

Sincerely,
    Microsoft SQL Server JDBC team.

5. dtexec returns C0000005 (fatal exception) when run with xp_cmdshell and named pipes protocol is enabled

Command: xp_cmdshell 'dtexec /SQL "\/ImportMDB" /SERVER "DELL-29\SQL2005"'
    When the above command is run and named pipes protocol is enabled then a return code of C0000005 is returned. When the command is run at the command prompt it works fine with or without named pipes.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 26 2005 1:39PM=-=>

I could not repro this. Could you please provide some more info. Specifically, does xp_cmdshell work for anything else? If you run a package from a file instead of from sqlserver using xp_cmdshell does it work or fail the same way? Thanks.

<=-=Jul 26 2005 4:09PM=-=>

I could not repro this. Could you please provide some more info. Specifically, does xp_cmdshell work for anything else? If you run a package from a file instead of from sqlserver using xp_cmdshell does it work or fail the same way? Thanks.

<=-=Sep 4 2005 10:53PM=-=>

dtexec failed in both xp_cmdshell and a windows command shell. Otherwise xp_cmdshell works fine. Note that the package executed fine in the integration services gui and visual studio.

This problem occured again recentily and I tracked it down to corrupted data in a memo cell (mapped to a nvarchar(max) by dts). After…

6. Database Mirroring - Pressing OK in database properties dialog box breaks mirroring

In sqlwb (ssms), using database properties dialog box (right click on the database) configure database mirroring through the UI. After the mirroring is showing as synchronized exit this by pressing the OK button.
    ssms is gets stuck.

My versions:
    Copied from ssms help about
    Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio (expires in 349 days) 9.00.1187.00
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 2000.090.1187.00
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2000.085.1117.00 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
    Microsoft MSXML 2.6 3.0 5.0 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180
    Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.50215.312
    Operating System 5.1.2600

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 25 2005 4:39PM=-=>

We have made a lot of changes from build CTP 15. We can not repro it in our newer build. And also there is a QFE in DB mirroring and Database properties dialog. If you find this problem again on newer version, please let us know.

Thanks

7. Reporting Services Configuration Fails

After installing Reporting Services, I am using the Report Server Configuration Tool. I have checkboxes across the board with the following exceptions:

(x) Server Status - I think this is because it is not started
    (!) Encryption Keys - This looks optional, so I assume it is okay
    (x) Initialization - Nothing ever shows up when I click on this
    (!) E-mail settings - This also looks optional.

When I try to start the server, I get the following error message:

System.ServiceProcess.TimeoutException: Time out has expired and the operation has not been completed.
    at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.WaitForStatus(ServiceControllerStatus desiredStatus, TimeSpan timeout)
    at ReportServicesConfigUI.Panels.ServerInformationPanel.StartStopServiceTask(Boolean…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 21 2005 5:03PM=-=>

To diagnose this issue, we need the report server log files and the report server configuration file for this instance.

<=-=Jul 25 2005 11:45AM=-=>

Hi Cam,

To diagnose this issue we need the report server log files and the report server configuration file for this instance. Thanks.

<=-=Jul 27 2005 10:27AM=-=>

Hi Cam,

To diagnose this issue we need the report server log files and the report server configuration file for this instance. Thanks.

<=-=Sep 5 2007 10:51AM=-=>

I’m having this same issue, with the exact same exception.
    I also attempted to manually start the windows service through the services admin tools and it gave me the same alert.

<=-=Jul 22 2008 8:18AM=-=>

I am having the same issue but all this post tells me is what is happening. Does anyone know how to fix it?

<=-=Sep 9 2008 1:44AM=-=>

I’m having the same…

8. Upgrade Advisor help contains an incomplete phrase

In Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Upgrade Advisor help file, topic "Run-time exceptions may occur in unsafe queries because of earlier evaluation of expressions in query plans", there is an incomplete phrase. The topic begins with: "in some cases evaluates expressions in queries sooner than when they were evaluated in SQL Server 2000." Note that this sentence does not begin with a capital letter and moreover, it has no subject (Who evaluates sooner? SQL Server 2005, probably).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Duplicate information in Books Online topic "REFERENTIAL_CONSTRAINTS"

In Books Online, topic "REFERENTIAL_CONSTRAINTS" there is a duplicate note (the one that reads: "Important: This feature has changed from earlier versions of SQL Server. For more information, see Breaking Changes to Database Engine Features in SQL Server 2005. ")

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. local server not found with dot (.) in dts import

normally (e.g. when starting the sql managment studio) the local server can be accessed by providing . (dot) as the server name.

When doing an dts data import (eg from excel) at the 'choose a destination' page of the import wizard the dot is also preselected as the server name, however the local server cannot be accessed, instead you get an error:

--
    ===

===

[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied. (Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server)

----------------------------------------
    Program Location:

at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionInternal..ctor(OleDbConnectionString constr, OleDbConnection connection)
    at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningObject)
    at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Jul 18 2005 7:51PM=-=>

Could you see if TCP/IP has been disabled on your server? If it has, try turning it on and see if the connection succeeds. If it does, then you’ve hit a known limitation with MDAC to Yukon connections described in the "MDAC 2.8 clients that use OLEDB may not be able to connect to SQL Server 2005 CTP 15 for local connections that use “.”, �(local)�, or () when TCP is disabled" section of this kb article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;899436

<=-=Jul 19 2005 10:46AM=-=>

I have shared memory, named pipes and tcp/ip on all ip addresses enabled, only VIA is disabled.

<=-=Jul 20 2005 4:51PM=-=>

Thanks for your quick response. Did you re-start the server after you enabled the protocols? I setup the same configuration and was able to reproduce the problem. If you did re-start the server can you send the SQL Server errorlog…

11. Integration Services Execute SQL Task fails Context Connection

I have a managed code stored procedure that selects from a table. The selected rows have some string manipulation/parsing done to them and then the results are inserted into a new table. The sql connection uses the context connection and I use SqlPipe to execute the sql commands. This stored procedure works fine on its own. I added the stored procedure as a SQL Task in an Integration Services project and the project errors with "A .NET Framework error occurred during execution of user defined routine or aggregate 'GetPhones':
    System.InvalidOperationException: The context connection is already in use." I simplified the…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 15 2005 10:51AM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback.
    Can you please explain how you are setting up the SQL Task? How are you setting up the connection as well? What type of connection are you using in the SQL Task and where are you setting the context connection parameter on the connection string? Is it in the CLR SP? If you have a package and the CLR SP, please attach that to the bug. Thank you.

<=-=Jul 15 2005 12:33PM=-=>

I am unable to repro. Please provide a package and a ddl to create SP.

12. Setting Default Schema in SQL Server Manager Does Not Work

When using the properties dialog of a login I set the default database and schema.

These settings were not reflected in the user properties of the user in the database. This meant that all names had to be fully qualified.

Changes to the database user (using the properties dialog of the user) to change the default schema were also not reflected when the properties were reopened. Here fully qualified names were still required on the "default" schema.

Only when I used SQL:

use puma_test;
    alter user pumaonline with default_schema = pumaonline;
    GO

did the default schema change (reflected in all…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 15 2005 8:27AM=-=>

Hi Alle,
    Thank you for your bug report regarding the user dialog now setting the default schema. This problem has already been reported and is fixed for the next CTP release.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Jul 15 2005 8:33AM=-=>

Hi Alle,
    Thank you for your bug report regarding the user dialog now setting the default schema. This problem has already been reported and is fixed for the next CTP release.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

13. Cant Install SQL2005 Beta

cant install SQL2005 beta

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. sqlservr.exe hogs CPU while idle

When I load SQL Server Management Studio and leave it open but inactive for couple of days I get 100% CPU utilization and sluggish system.

I have SQL 2005 installed as named instance and SQL 2000 as default instance - both are local.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 4

<=-=Jul 17 2005 2:35AM=-=>

Some more information would probably be helpful for Microsoft to research this. Can you narrow it down to that it always happen with a certain table? When this happen, have you tried running Profiler to see if any commands are sent to SQL Server? Have you used sp_who2 to see which process that is taking the CPU time?

I have seen cases where SQL Server have grabbed a lot of CPU for no obiovus reason, but I was never able to investigate them properly before they faded in a way. In one case spid1, the RESOURCE MONITOR, was grabbing the CPU. But this happened on my Express instance and did not involved Mgmt Studio. (And I was not able to recreate the situation. It is likely te be related with an attempt to create a user instance of Express.)

<=-=Jul 18 2005…
  15. The OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "DB2400" reported an error. One or more arguments were reported invalid by the pro

Using a linked server and the IBM ODBC driver for the iSeries, I was attempting to do an INSERT/EXEC but received an error stating the an error was reported by the provider. This version of the ODBC driver is supposed to support distributed transactions.

In SQL Server 2000, I was able to get this to work, although from time to time a problem would arise with IBM's ODBC driver.

My question is, how can I find out if this problem is on IBM's side or a problem with SQL Server? Is an ODBC trace sufficient to determine if the problem…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 13 2005 2:33PM=-=>

The failure in starting a distributed transaction could be due any of the following reasons:
    1. Verify if there is any OS version change between SQL2000 & SQL2005 installations.
    2. Verify if the MDTC has been correctly configured for remote access:
    To configure MSDTC for network transactions:
    Administrative Tools → Component Services → expand Component Services → Expand Computer → Right click My Computer → Select Properties → MSDTC tab → Security Configuration → Enable Network DTC Access → Check all sub-boxes → Ensure logon account is NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService → Click OKs.
    MSDTC should be correctly configured on both machines (local and remote). You may need to restart both boxes after making above changes.
    3. If problem still persists, gather both ODBC & OLEDB profiler traces and report them. For gathering OLEDB traces, select all events and all columns, select all events under …

16. Keyboard shortcuts in June CTP is very slow

I have had a situation where using keyboard shortcuts (i.e. sp_help, sp_spaceused) in June CTP is very very slow.

Seems to be down to the call to sp_proc_columns as below. This is taking up to 30 seconds to run.
    exec sp_sproc_columns @procedure_name = N'sp_help', @procedure_owner = null,
    @procedure_qualifier = N'ProjectManager'

Surely the parameters should be cached, rather than calling sp_proc_columns every time

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 12 2005 4:27PM=-=>

Hi Simon,
    Thank you for your bug report regarding the behavior of sp_help through Alt-F1. We are postponing working on this issue until our next release.
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Feb 10 2006 4:20PM=-=>

Hi Simon,
    this does not repro on RTM build.
    Thanks,
    Ramesh Singh

17. Exception thrown Using SetDefaultInitFields on Column with SqlServer 2000

When using SMO and SetDefaultInitFields on Smo.Column when connecting to MSSQL 2000, SMO Throws an exception while populating the object: Unkown property XmlSchemaNamespace.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Chart Legend does not size to fit contents

The chart legend automatically sizes, however it does not size to fit the contents. HTis seems to be a problem when the format includes labels from data fields. The size of the data field label is not taken into consideration

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Jul 11 2005 12:45PM=-=>

To be considered in a future release.

<=-=Jan 9 2006 12:20PM=-=>

Thanks for the feedback. This will be considered for a future release.

<=-=Feb 16 2006 5:40PM=-=>

Thanks for the feedback. This will be considered for a future release.

<=-=May 12 2006 11:00AM=-=>

NST: Autoupdate only

19. cannot re-connect to mirrord database

i have machine server1 and server2, server3.
    both SQL Server 2005 June2005 installed.
    testdb test database in server1.
    and restored testdb in server2.
    testdb is mirroring database.
    ( principal testdb in server1, mirror testdb in server2, and witness server3 )

i make a client program.
    this program has "Database=sampdb;Server=server1;Failover Partner=server2" in ConnectionString.
    and network adapter is disable on server1.

run my client program.
    However, do not re-connect (or redirect ) mirrord database.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 11 2005 3:15PM=-=>

I just tried to copy two stored procedures from a 2000 to 2005 and from 2005 and 2000 and it all worked fine:
    1. You may have an old version (if this is the case, hopefully once you get a new drop it will be fixed) or,
    2. you not have set CopySchema property to true (if this is the case, try setting it and see if it works. If it does great, if it doesn’t then probably you need a new drop)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base