SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. While trying to find a folder on SQL an OLE DB error was encounteredWhile trying to find a folder on SQL an OLE DB error was encou

While trying to copy a DB from a computer to another the following exception occured
    ===
    with error code 0x80004005 ([DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (SECDoClientHandshake()).]SSL Security error.)
    (Copy Database Wizard)
    ----------------------------------------
    Program Location:
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime.Application.FolderExistsOnSqlServer(String strFolderName, String strServerName, String strServerUserName, String strServerPassword)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.CopyDatabaseWizard.PackagePage.EnsurePackageFolderExist(String folderName, Application app, String serverName, String loginName, String password)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.CopyDatabaseWizard.PackagePage.GetUniquePackageName()
    ===
    While trying to find a folder on SQL an OLE DB error was encountered with error code 0x80004005 ([DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (SECDoClientHandshake()).]SSL Security error.)

----------------------------------------
    Program Location:
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime.Wrapper.ApplicationClass.FolderExistsOnSQLServer(String bstrFolderName, String bstrServerName, String bstrServerUserName, String bstrServerPassword)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime.Application.FolderExistsOnSqlServer(String strFolderName, String strServerName, String strServerUserName, String strServerPassword)

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 5

<=-=Sep 5 2005 8:44PM=-=>

Hi Dan,
    Thank you for your error report regarding the copy database wizard. I have a couple of follow up questions for you:
    (1) What version of SQL Server tools are you using? For example – are you using the June CTP?
    (2) Does the service account that you are running the database engine instance under have sufficient rights to the target file location?
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Sep 6 2005 8:52AM=-=>

Hi Dan,
    After further investigation, we can’t reproduce the problem with our most recent CTP release candidate. If this still occurs when testing our next CTP release that is due out next week, please open a new bug report.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Sep 6 2005 9:08AM=-=>

Hi Dan,
    After further investigation, we can’t reproduce the problem with our most recent CTP release candidate. If this still occurs when testing our…

2. select * from ::fn_helpcollations() kills or crashes query designer

select * from ::fn_helpcollations() makes query designer either 1) vanish (if the query is typed in), or 2) crash (if "Design Query in Editor..." is chosen for this query

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Query Designer MUST NOT SHIP without warnings that it may modify T-SQL queries. This situation must be remedied by SP1 at the lat

The query designer is so seriously flawed that it must not ship in its current state without clear warnings that it rewrites queries, changing the meaning and the results, not just the formatting. The designer cannot be trusted at all to respect the user's intent. Those responsible for this tool must do something by SP1 at the latest. I recommend shipping the flawed designer, only because the lost revenue from a management studio with no designer will be great. But the flaws absolutely must be acknowledged honestly and visibly. To fix this after RTM, I suggest two possible solutions.

1.…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 10

<=-=Aug 21 2006 9:19AM=-=>

We have postponed consideration of this issue until a future version of SQL Server.

<=-=Apr 30 2008 8:08AM=-=>

Hi Steven Kass,

Unfortunately we are unable to consider this bug for this release. Given the good suggestions you have raised, I have marked this bug for consideration for a future release of SQL Server.

Thanks,
    Karthik

<=-=May 17 2011 7:51AM=-=>

Five years and 2 product generations later, the designer is not only still a pitfall to avoid at all costs by most devs, but it is even more obtrusive – slightly, in SSRS datasets.

4. SQL Server Management Studio crashes when trying to script a DB

I'm using version 9.00.1116.00 (not sure what version in the above combobox it is).
    When trying to script a database, Management Studio crashes with the attached error message.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. sp_dbcmptlevel does not work as expected

Get an error when attempting to load the attached stored procedure and setting sp_dbcmptlevel either in the UI or via query analyzer does not work as expected because the stored procedure will still not load.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Using DB_ID to specify the value of a system function parameter

/*
    AllanHirt_CathanCook_KimberlyLTripp_FrankMcBathMicrosoftSQLServer2000HighAvailability_-_Chapter4DiskConfigurationForHighAvailability
    http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/6515.asp
    */

--Returns I/O statistics for database files, including log files.
    DECLARE @databaseId INT
    DECLARE @fileId INT
    SELECT @databaseId = dbId FROM master..sysdatabases WHERE name = 'WordEngineering'
    SELECT @fileId = fileId FROM WordEngineering..sysfiles WHERE filename LIKE '%.mdf'
    SELECT *

SELECT DB_ID('WordEngineering')

--Using DB_ID to specify the value of a system function parameter
    SELECT *
    FROM fn_virtualfilestats( DB_ID(N'WordEngineering'), 1 );

SELECT @@VERSION
    /*
    Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.1187.07 (Intel X86)
    May 24 2005 18:22:46
    Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation
    Express Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 1)
    */

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Aug 30 2005 3:40PM=-=>

Ken, I’d like some clarification.

Are you filing a bug, or making a suggestion for improvement for Chapter 4 of the book?

-Aakash
    Developer, SQL Server Engine

<=-=Sep 1 2005 3:00PM=-=>

Ken, please clarify if this is a suggestion for the book or a change you’re suggesting in the product. If this is a product suggestion, please re-activate the bug with a description of the desired behaviour. Thanks for your input to the product!
    Best regards,
    -Denis.

7. SQL Agent Job fails with SSIS connecting to Oracle

SQL Agent will fail with error "The step failed" when attempting to execute a SSIS package that connects to an Oracle db.
    I tried 2 Oracle DB's and another SQL Server 7, I have got the same problem.
    I tried to define different data sources, all with the "Save password" option, then tried to execute the SSIS from the SQL Server Studio.
    All these packages run fine when you execute them manually however, as soon as you try to get SQL Agent to execute them, it fails.
    Steps before the dataFlow task seems to work but the dataflow task does…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Aug 29 2005 2:23PM=-=>

I also tried to execute the package from a command line using dtexec. something like dtexec /sq orcljobtest /ser myserver. Here it works fine from command line however if I try to put this in a job with Operating Sytem command exec, then I get this error: Note that I have Oracle client 9.2 installed.

All rights reserved. Started: 2:17:33 PM Error: 2005-08-29 14:17:34.65 Code: 0xC0016016 Source: Description: Failed to decrypt protected XML node “DTS:Password” with error 0×8009000B “Key not valid for use in specified state.”. You may not be authorized to access this information. This error occurs when there is a cryptographic error. Verify that the correct key is available. End Error Progress: 2005-08-29 14:17:34.87 Source: Data Flow Task Validating: 0% complete End Progress Error: 2005-08-29 14:17:34.96 Code: 0xC0047062 Source: Data Flow Task DataReader Source 1 Description: System.Exception: System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle…

8. underline should be treated as a part-of-identifier character

underline should be treated as a part-of-identifier character, so that double click on a sql identifier within sql pane within query editor in sql mgmt studio select complete inentifier (this also apply to ctrl-left and ctrl-right which are supposed to jump to start and end of words, identifiers included

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Aug 26 2005 4:52PM=-=>

Hi Pgklada,
    Thank you for your suggestion regarding the underline character being treated as part of the indentifier. We will consider this for a future release.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Aug 29 2005 11:24AM=-=>

Hi pgklada,
    After further investigation, it looks like we have fixed this problem already. it will be available in our next customer technology preview release.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

9. Default value for report parameters

When using MDX result sets for parameters, default values does not work. The default value specified is not selected.
    However, when running on result sets from SQL queries from "normal" databases, the default value property seems to be working fine.

Not being able to use default values for parameters, makes the report very unfriendly to business users.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Aug 26 2005 4:12PM=-=>

Thank you for reporting the issue. Unfortunately we are in the process of finalizing SQL Server 2005. We’ll consider this issue for the next release.

<=-=Nov 8 2005 5:56PM=-=>

We have investigated the issue and are unable to reproduce it using the information you have given. Please attach an RDL file that illustrates the problem.
    -Thanks

<=-=Nov 1 2007 10:30AM=-=>

Closing issue as we were not able to reproduce it.

10. SQL 2005 breaks COM+ Services(DTS) on Windows XP Professional

"My Computer" in Console Root/Component Services/Computers is shown with a "down" icon. DTS service will NOT start.

This is the error returned when trying to start the DTS service. This is the error in the event viewer.

The Distributed Transaction Coordinator service terminated with service-specific error 3221229584 (0xC0001010).

The error dialog reports error code -1073737712

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Aug 27 2005 11:08AM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. If you are having problems with COM+ it is probably unrelated to SQL Server 2005, as we are unable to repro this failure in our labs. Have you tried this to repair MSDTC? Start a command window and type “msdtc -resetlog”.

If problems persist please contact CSS (previously named PSS) for support with the MSDTC service.

<=-=Aug 27 2005 11:16AM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. If you are having problems with COM+ it is probably unrelated to SQL Server 2005, as we are unable to repro this failure in our labs. Have you tried this to repair MSDTC? Start a command window and type “msdtc -resetlog”.

If problems persist please contact CSS (previously named PSS) for support with the MSDTC service.

11. Query designer modifies simple, useful query

Query designer changes a correlated subquery into a non-correlated subquery, completely changing the meaning of a query.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 4

<=-=Aug 25 2005 9:08PM=-=>

Hi Steve,
    Thank you for your bug report. I’ve forwarded it on to the Visual Database Tools team to investigate.
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Aug 29 2005 1:00PM=-=>

Hi Steve,
    Thank you for your bug report regading the modification of this query. This problem was fixed as part of an earlier fix and should be ok for the next CTP release.
    Bill Ramos

12. Internal Query Processor Error when trying to insert XML data into remote MAX column

Credits for finding this issue goes to Bryan Myers.

When you try to insert a value from an XML document using value into an nvarchar(MAX) column in remote table, this fails with Internal Queryr Processor Error.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Aug 23 2005 10:28AM=-=>

Erland, thanks a lot for reporting the problem and providing great repro. We were able to observe the problem on IDW 15, but DOES NOT on current builds. So it should be fixed in the next available beta refresh.

<=-=Sep 18 2005 1:47PM=-=>

Tested in CTP16. It works now.

13. Transfer Objects Fails - Source Table Does not exist

Set up Transfer object to copy one table from a source db to a destination db. Under the Destination Copy Options, wich should be Source Copy Options, under (Collection) I select the tables I want to copy from the source to the destination. When I run the package I get the following error:

Error: 0xC002F363 at Transfer Test Tables, Transfer Objects Task: Table "FiscalMonth" does not exist at the source.
    Task failed: Transfer Test Tables.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Aug 23 2005 9:08AM=-=>

Does the table exist at the source? Is the table name correctly spelled? Do you have the package? If so, will you send it with the script to build the table you’re trying to transfer? Is this reproduceable with other tables? What version of SSIS are you using?

<=-=Aug 24 2005 2:12PM=-=>

Which version of SQL Server is being used? Probably if a newer version is used this problem may be solved.

This bug is not reproable as described. I need more info: Which version of sql server are used for source and destination? Are you choosing all tables, or a set of tables? Are you setting copy schema? … It is better to have the package attached. But I could copy a table from a source to a destination just fine.

<=-=Jan 18 2012 12:58AM=-=>

Please re-open.

This error msg shows when trying…

14. FTP Connection not Found

After creating an FTP Task, and referencing an FTP connection, the system reports the connection cannot be found

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allocation Error with Multiple Cell Updates and USE_WEIGHTED_ALLOCATION

Making multiple updates to the same cell incorrectly spreads the updates to the children. The first time the parent cell is changed, the spreading is correct. If you then change the parent again, the spreading is wrong. For example, halving the parent's value does not halve the childrens' values when using USE_WEIGHTED_ALLOCATION.
    Also, after the first update, NULL cubes are replaced with zeroed cells. That is, the children that should be NULL are now allocated a value of 0.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 'select database' combobox does not echo 'non-existant server' error on 'new connection window' on Data->ShowDataSources

'select database' combobox does not echo 'non-existant server' error on 'new connection window' on Data->ShowDataSources

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Aug 31 2005 9:48AM=-=>

Hi pgklada,
    Thank you for your bug report regarding Data-ShowDataSources. We could not reproduce the problem in SSMS. If you are actually commenting on Visual Studio behavior, please re-file a bug report under VS.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

17. SQL Server Express (April OR June) Refuses to install!

I have tried many different ways, on 2 separate machines, but cannot get either AprilCTP or JneCTP to install.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Aug 30 2005 1:08PM=-=>

Thank you for trying SQL 2005 and I am sorry you are having trouble.
    Please reactivate and attach the log files from:
    Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\log\files\*.log. You can zip the files before attaching them.
    Try to ensure that you only provide logs from the run that is failing and first clean out the older logs.

18. Add File as Link to Project is SSMS doesn't work

The add existing file option on the project in SSMS allows files to be added as links, this doesn't work nothing happens.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Aug 22 2005 8:36AM=-=>

Hi Simon,
    Thank you for your bug report regarding adding a file as a link to a SSMS project. We are deferring this issue to a future release.
    Thanks,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Aug 22 2005 11:53AM=-=>

Are you therefore removing the Add as Link option?

<=-=Mar 28 2006 9:32PM=-=>

Hi Brent,

Based on the feedback we are hearing from the community we are stepping up our effort to address this issue for the next release.

Thanks for your support and interest in this area.

Terrence Nevins
    Program Manager SQL Server

<=-=Apr 14 2006 1:24PM=-=>

Hi Simon, I just tried this against RTM and I was able to add a file as a link. The file remained in it’s original location and all updates through Management Studio updated the file in the original location. If you are still experiencing this problem with RTM please reopen the…

19. Second deselection of column, on deselects column for some events.

Open a default trace. Click on Stored Procedures and Select evnet Category. Now right-click ClientProcessID and deselect it. Works fine. Next try to unselect ApplicationName. But this time the columns is only unselected for some events.

Deselecting columns in some order shows that it is only the first column that is deselected that is handled correctly.

The workaround is to deselect per event.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Sep 5 2006 2:07PM=-=>

Thank you for reporting this issue. We were able to reproduce the problem and we will investigate how to fix it.
    At this point I can suggest a workaround – you should expand the category before selecting all events in it. The issue does not happen in that case.

Regards,
    Maciek Sarnowicz

<=-=Nov 29 2007 8:46PM=-=>

Thanks for reporting this defect.

Closing this as duplicate of another bug that tracks this issue for the next release.

Thanks,
    Gops Dwarak

<=-=Nov 30 2007 1:33PM=-=>

And next release is SQL 2008? Or is it Katmai+?

20. Adding event in Profiler, does not add new columns

Say that I start from the Standard trace definition, check Show all Events, and the add the Objects events. I would sort of expect that columns that are relevant for these objects are now automatically included. They are if I first have check Show All Columns.

Maybe the behaviour make sense, if the I idea is that I have already made my mind up about which columns to display, but if'm just working from the Standard template (which users will do 95% of the time), then I haven't.

Maybe there should question "This event can populate columns you have not…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Aug 22 2005 10:52AM=-=>

Thanks for reporting this error. By default, all important columns across all events are visible (without checking the Show All Columns check box). When you check the Show All Columns check box, we automatically select all columns if you select an event.

I am keeping this bug open and in the next release we will see if there is better usability that we can offer.

<=-=Nov 26 2007 10:27PM=-=>

Closing this as duplicate of another bug that tracks this issue for the future release.

Thanks,
    Gops Dwarak

<=-=Aug 30 2009 10:31PM=-=>

Hi Erland,

Thank you for using Profiler and reporting the bug. I understand and agree with what you reported on – a more complete set of event columns (if not all) should be included as part of the standard tracing template. Other templates (such as TSQL_Replay) are better though still leave out a…

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base